Stay/get back in shape...Vol: Motivation

I'm trying to lose that last little roll on your belly that you get whenever you sit down, and I find that the biggest setbacks in my routine always hitwhenever friday night rolls around and there's nothing better to do than drink, watch tv with your friends, go out, and then get something greasy on theway home.

It's like choosing a social life over your goal. I like drinking and all, but I got those kind of friends who insist that you get a little tipsy with everyone else, and then I always rationalize it by saying to myself "What's thepoint of even having that physique that you eventually want if you're gonna be alienating your friends in the process?" Tough call.

Moral of the story is that I'll stay drinking vodka + diet tonic(not that bad. .), maybe a light beer here and there and then I go to sleep with the mostpainful drunk munchies you could imagine.
mad.gif

It's alright, though . . give me a month and I'll be satisifed enough with the work I've done to get back to my 13 beers, smoke something andthen get 12 tacos from Jack in the Crack on the way home routine
pimp.gif

^I was in the same situation (minus the little roll), and you know what worked for me? Eating healthy and working my %$# off in the gym throughout the week,partying Friday, and if you're cutting booze out through the week and only drinking water/protein shakes I was literally waking up with no hangover, hitthe gym sometime Saturday and do it again that night. Cut booze through the week, hit the gym every day (I was doing 40-50 mins of cardio every day pluslifting), and only drink water and protein shakes and you're good to go. I did it for a whole summer and still came out in probably the best shape of mylife all while having an absolute blast socially.

Originally Posted by Chicagos Finest 23

Most of the time people quit its because they can't take the pain.
I think in most cases, it's dedication issue. It's really hard at first to commit yourself to eating right and going to the gym or justworking out wherever on a regular basis.

I agree with Pana, BB would be a lot more helpful. However most of the members here, I would think, wouldn't venture off to that site randomly because ofintimidation.

Originally Posted by Chicagos Finest 23

Most of the time people quit its because they can't take the pain.

I've never heard that before, its always because they are too lazy or lack the motivation.

Question: Should I lift in the mornings and run in the afternoons or vice-versa? I hear that lifting in the morning is better, but was wondering if anyone hadexperiences/results.

For people with Shoulder pain do pushups instead of Bench press. Add weight with a vest or a plate on your back if necessary.

Muscle pain is good, means you are doing the right thing. Joint pain is not good. If you have muscle pain you took a break from lifting for too long or are noteating enough protein, possibly combination of the 2.

My main motivation is positively influencing my mom. She ain't big (size 8 ), but she's just trying to live a more active lifestyle.
She was always a healthy hippie(mostly herbalism and natural medicine) of sorts outside her bad cigarette smoking, but regardless she still wants to do better.
Right now I'm at 5'3 135 35/27/39 My goal is 5'3 120 34/23-25/39 for now.
I don't like the gym so I intend to lose weight the same way I have been through physical hobbies.

Originally Posted by TkTheGirl

My main motivation is positively influencing my mom. She ain't big (size 8 ), but she's just trying to live a more active lifestyle.
She was always a healthy hippie(mostly herbalism and natural medicine) of sorts outside her bad cigarette smoking, but regardless she still wants to do better.
I don't like the gym so I intend to lose weight the same way I have been through physical hobbies.
That's a REALLLLL solid base right there
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by mcnoodlez

Question: Should I lift in the mornings and run in the afternoons or vice-versa? I hear that lifting in the morning is better, but was wondering if anyone had experiences/results.
I've done both. I did feel more energetic in the morning to lift but I'm pretty sure there's no difference between the two as long asyou have plenty of time between the two. Just be sure that you've eaten before both activities obviously. Also I've read in a Muscle&Fitness thatthe best time to lift was in the afternoon, you take that for whatever it's worth.

Originally Posted by TD The God

Originally Posted by TkTheGirl

That's a REALLLLL solid base right there
pimp.gif

forreal tho.. Short with a little bit of meat on her..
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

just got back from the gym..

40 mins ellipitcal
abs

breakfast: a pickle,
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

lunch: 4 slices of turkey, and a pickle, 2 scoops of protein
snacks: probably another pickle, and maybe a 90 calorie snack before work

dinner: most likely tilapia and steamed veggies, might go out for a steak.. (oh I forgot i have work so probably neither
ohwell.gif
)

lilpro- have you read my last reply or two regarding your post? You still haven't changed your diet at all, it's no wonder you're having a hardtime losing weight. FYI breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Those who actually consume a good hearty breakfast actually weighs less than those whodon't.

For you guys looking for motivation, etc... you might be starting in too hard. If you're feeling sick/nauseous every work and dreading the thought of goingto the gym, you could be overtraining or just going at too fast a tempo when you get into the gym. It's not supposed to be torture.

As far as working out when your legs are sore, if they're really that bad that you're still struggling to sit and get up and you're back to a legday, take a rest from training legs that day and just ride the stationary bike kinda light for 20-30 minutes and see how you feel the next day. You need toallow your muscles to recover. Legs sometimes take the longest to recover but it gets easier with time. If it's 2-3 days since your leg workout it'snormal, but after day 3, the soreness should be going away little by little.

Originally Posted by wj4

lilpro- have you read my last reply or two regarding your post? You still haven't changed your diet at all, it's no wonder you're having a hard time losing weight. FYI breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Those who actually consume a good hearty breakfast actually weighs less than those who don't.

yes, I read your reply.. I'm pretty sure I replied to it.

i was running late today so i missed out on breakfast..

By the way...when you guys say big and hearty breakfast...what type of foods are you talking about? Typical breakfast foods? Like eggs, ham, bread...?

Originally Posted by lilpro4u

Originally Posted by wj4

lilpro- have you read my last reply or two regarding your post? You still haven't changed your diet at all, it's no wonder you're having a hard time losing weight. FYI breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Those who actually consume a good hearty breakfast actually weighs less than those who don't.

Really, I just looked back and I haven't seen your reply to my post on page 68, post #1356 where I answered why eating less is bad for you andhow it will make you gain weight.

Don't take it personally, but from what I observed since you entered this thread..you just been bugging out cussing about how you tried and tried andcan't lose weight. Advices were given out, but doesn't look like you're changing much...hence why you're not seeing a change.

I told you that 3 scoops of whey protein in one sitting is not the best route to go and you hit me back with the roll face smiley face like telling me to getlost, when all I'm trying to do is help you because in less than a year ago, I was, more or less, like you...an overweight dude. I'm pretty muchgiving you a guideline on how I did it, through trial and error, steadily getting 10 lbs off a month, going from a size 36 to 30 in ~8 months, with onlyworking out 3-5 times a week. But hey that's cool if you just wanna do you because at the end of the day, it's your body.
[table][tr][td][/td] [/tr][tr][td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [/tr][/table]

in the begging of summer I was hitting the gym hard almost everyday. put an inch and half on my arms and my shoulders and chest were bigger. but the last monthI haven't gone to the gym once.
smh.gif
I don't know whats going on. I guessim just being lazy. Its just strange how i changed so drastically. ima start up again. but also the gym i go to sucks pretty hard. They never have pins for themachines. and never have enough benches for more than 6 people.

Planet Fitness FTMFL. big
indifferent.gif
to them.

Originally Posted by keepzdasneakz

By the way...when you guys say big and hearty breakfast...what type of foods are you talking about? Typical breakfast foods? Like eggs, ham, bread...?
No, no, no.

Your traditional "Denny's" breakfast foods are horrible for you since they're cooked in oils and aren't the best ingredients. Forbreakfast, think in terms of clean protein and complex carbs with minimal fat. (your body doesn't process fat in the morning as well as it does later inthe day)

I usually have 6 egg whites with 2 whole eggs.
Regular unflavored oatmeal that I season with milled flax seeds and dried cranberries
I might have a piece of fruit, but that's about it. About 500-600 calories of clean foods that will fuel you till your next meal.

Originally Posted by outbackbob24

in the begging of summer I was hitting the gym hard almost everyday. put an inch and half on my arms and my shoulders and chest were bigger. but the last month I haven't gone to the gym once.
smh.gif
I don't know whats going on. I guess im just being lazy. Its just strange how i changed so drastically. ima start up again. but also the gym i go to sucks pretty hard. They never have pins for the machines. and never have enough benches for more than 6 people.

Planet Fitness FTMFL. big
indifferent.gif
to them.
Reeeeeaaaallllllyyy now...

Originally Posted by wj4

Originally Posted by wj4

Really, I just looked back and I haven't seen your reply to my post on page 68, post #1356 where I answered why eating less is bad for you and how it will make you gain weight.

Don't take it personally, but from what I observed since you entered this thread..you just been bugging out cussing about how you tried and tried and can't lose weight. Advices were given out, but doesn't look like you're changing much...hence why you're not seeing a change.

I told you that 3 scoops of whey protein in one sitting is not the best route to go and you hit me back with the roll face smiley face like telling me to get lost, when all I'm trying to do is help you because in less than a year ago, I was, more or less, like you...an overweight dude. I'm pretty much giving you a guideline on how I did it, through trial and error, steadily getting 10 lbs off a month, going from a size 36 to 30 in ~8 months, with only working out 3-5 times a week. But hey that's cool if you just wanna do you because at the end of the day, it's your body.
[/td] [td]
[/td] [/tr][/table]

roll.gif

sunday_1.jpg

Originally Posted by keepzdasneakz

Any of those will be good. It shouldn't be more than 500 cals though, as a general guideline. With bread..you should stick with wheat breadinstead of white/butter. Personally I'm not one to cook a breakfast so I just do a good size bowl of cereal, a banana, and whey protein. I hit the gymabout an hour after my breakfast however, and I come back to eat some more. If I didn't go to the gym right after breakfast, I'd add 3 egg whites anda couple slices of wheat bread to the breakfast itself.

Ham or turkey would be a great choice, as long as you look at the nutritional value table to make sure everything is cool. Shouldn't be an issue if youget the lean or extra lean version and of course if you don't fry it.
laugh.gif

Edit: K2 got to the reply before I did. Denny's..yeah you pretty much want to avoid this place altogether. Along with Macaroni Grill, I don't thinkthere's anything on the menu under 1000 cals.
laugh.gif

I wouldn't mind having ham or turkey for breakfast though, but after I wake up, I'm too lazy to even warm up the George Foreman grill. The stuff foundat Denny's...ie eggs, ham, and bread can be pretty good, nutrition wise, if cooked correctly. Note that pancakes and such aren't included here, lol.

K. Well...I'm just trying to bulk now so how "clean" the foods are isn't too important to me at this stage, I just needed confirmation thefoods I am already eating. On the off hand though, waking up at 6:30 sucks...and I don't have many options because time is so constrained...I ate 4 slicesof thin crust pizza topped with chicken breasts for breakfast today SMH.

Originally Posted by Gmills23

Originally Posted by wj4

Originally Posted by wj4

Really, I just looked back and I haven't seen your reply to my post on page 68, post #1356 where I answered why eating less is bad for you and how it will make you gain weight.

Don't take it personally, but from what I observed since you entered this thread..you just been bugging out cussing about how you tried and tried and can't lose weight. Advices were given out, but doesn't look like you're changing much...hence why you're not seeing a change.

I told you that 3 scoops of whey protein in one sitting is not the best route to go and you hit me back with the roll face smiley face like telling me to get lost, when all I'm trying to do is help you because in less than a year ago, I was, more or less, like you...an overweight dude. I'm pretty much giving you a guideline on how I did it, through trial and error, steadily getting 10 lbs off a month, going from a size 36 to 30 in ~8 months, with only working out 3-5 times a week. But hey that's cool if you just wanna do you because at the end of the day, it's your body.
[/td] [td]
[/td] [/tr][/table]

roll.gif

sunday_1.jpg

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Yo wj4, my dude I really didn't mean to strike a nerve.. I took your advice and only did 2 scoops today! But i did cheat my self on breakfast.. I admit mywhole life I've never, ever been the breakfast ype, and I been told many a times that it is the most important meal of the day. Could be the reason why imin the position i am in today, never know..

I'll make it up to you tomorrow bro..

Back
Top Bottom