Still extremely upset with Jordan Brand/Nike

The bottom line is this...getting a chance to buy a pair of basketball shoes - the Air Jordan XI or otherwise - shouldn't be worth risking your safety or your life.  It's that simple.  The way Jordan Brand/Nike purposely limited the number of pairs of the Concord XI just to build up the hype and frenzy surrounding their release isn't just irresponsible, it's ethically deplorable.  I live in Indianapolis, Indiana and the mall I usually go to for Jordans - Lafayette Square Mall - was the mall shown on the national news, Pardon the Interruption, and SportsCenter in video clips with people literally ripping the doors off their hinges and trampling over each other just to get inside.  I watched it happen live, and was just as horrified when I saw the replays on television later.  I've been collecting since 1990 and this ONE release has absolutely drained any enjoyment or satisfaction I might've gotten from collecting Air Jordans in general.  
I'm a grown adult now, I've learned how to be responsible with my money and how to pay my bills and my taxes through discipline and hard work.  Collecting Air Jordans was always a fun hobby to me, a connection to the past, to my youth, and to the greatest athlete in team sports history.  I was very fortunate to have seen Michael Jordan play 6 times in person, during his prime in the 1990s, at Market Square Arena against Reggie Miller and the Pacers.  And each time I saw him, Jordan put everything he had into the game.  It didn't always work out for him...I was there when he unretired and shot 7-for-28 and the Bulls lost in overtime...but that intensity, that conviction, that indomitable will was always present.  I saw him try to rip Reggie Miller's face off and then score 40 points, many of them on impossible fallaway jumpers and angry, vicious drives to the rim.  I remember the player he was.  I remember everything he did.  But what I remember the most was the level of sheer competitive greatness that has never been surpassed both before or since. 

To me and others from my generation who grew up watching the "greatest player ever", Air Jordans aren't just basketball shoes or mere fashion statements...these MEAN something.  They're symbols of who we wished we could be like when we were little, symbols of what can be accomplished with hard work and determination.  But most of all, they symbolize *excellence*.  

That's why it's so infuriating when the quality of a lot of these retros released is so poor while the prices are so high.  And it's disheartening when it becomes near impossible to get a pair of a particular model - in this case the Concord XI - without a lot of undue physical and emotional stress.

All my friends and co-workers who know nothing about collecting Jordans have all asked me the same question regarding the XI riots...why don't they just make more pairs?  Why aren't they more widely available?  And that's a good question.  You never see people riot over Air Force Is or Chuck Taylors, yet those shoes do phenomenal sales every single year.  

Jordan Brand could've avoided this whole mess by doing two things - A) letting all the stores do pre-orders or reservations...putting a certain amount down to reserve your pair, then paying the remaining balance on release day (failure to pay means the pair goes back on sale to the public), and B) simply making more pairs and doing a few restocks both in stores and online.  A lot of stores in my area only got ONE pair in each size.  Supply was nowhere close to satisfying demand, and that's what fuels the frenzy to get a pair.  And this is just unacceptable.

In my opinion, only a class-action lawsuit against Jordan Brand/Nike by thousands of consumers will wake them up.  I don't have any legal expertise, but I'm sure there are some of you out there who do.  What can be done?  How can we unite to stand up to this corporate entity that does NOT care about our well-being and let our voices be heard?  Who can make them listen?  A debacle like this should NEVER happen again, and if it does one of these days somebody is gonna get killed.  Is that what it takes?  Does Jordan Brand want people dying over pieces of leather and rubber?  As a collector I can understand the desire to acquire these, as a rational person in the real world however I can never understand the lengths some people will go through to get them, all because of hype.  Michael Jordan was the greatest competitor in team sports history.  But we shouldn't have to be that competitive WITH EACH OTHER just to buy his shoes.  It's all just backwards and ridiculous.  MAKE MORE PAIRS.  IMPROVE QUALITY.  STOP OVERPRICING.

It's time that Jordan Brand actually reflected the defining trait of the athlete who founded it - EXCELLENCE.  We as consumers need to stand up NOW, and we need to be ONE.

I'm 35 years old.  This is not a memo.  It's a mission statement.

You do know Michael Jordan is partly to blame because he enables these situations to happen. So don't praise him like a saint. This was a general release item you can blame employees at shoe stores who make shady transactions and hoarding. I don't think a class action lawsuit is necessary when a large successful company has lawyers ready to go battle for them. You might end up with a small settlement but it won't change their policy or business strategy. I work for a large corporation and I've seen behind the scenes. Look at the "Occupy Wall Street" movement, it hasn't accomplished anything with no clear objective on what the hell they want. To make a difference is to not support NIKE/JB. But I don't see that ever happening as you noticed a couple of days ago. The consumer adds fuel to the fire by going nuts on the release. I know what you're trying to say, but by selling more Air Jordans weakens the retail potency of the item. It's like printing more currency, it diminishes the value. We actually are lucky in a sense that we have had 2 opportunities to purchase this item in 2001 and 2011. Both of which I had/have. All I can say is I'm happy I got mines with no headaches!

Jordan Brand has found their formula to be successful in selling their product without having to spend any more money. The shape of all retros (besides maybe 14s) has been completely distorted in recent years. The quality of materials has gone down, and the price has gone up. I remember reading recently that labor in China is even cheaper now. Will prices for the shoes go down? No. The fact of the matter is that JB has accomplished what every other company tries to do; have a fan base so addicted to your product that you could put out anything at any price and it would sell out. Regarding the Concords, they were a GR. They made as many as they do for other retros and were not that limited. The reason there was such commotion is because of the hype behind the shoes. But JB didn't create the hype, we did. Niketalk did, sneaker blogs did, and people themselves did. You can't blame the company if 150 people decided to wait on line at midnight outside of a store that only has 100 pairs. And if there was a safety issue with the way the release went down, it's the store's fault, not JB.

No.

Wrong.

Blame the people.

Start with yourself.

Myself included.

Mostly everyone on NT.

We make this stuff happen.

We let Nike do it.

We continue to let them do it.

It's their friggin slogan.

Well I had them in 2001. I didn't get 2011 because of the foolishness described in both posts above me. I agree on both points as well. With all the hype involved with this particular release higher quantities wouldn't have diminished any value except resell value, which I despise anyway. After having websites crash on me, never to come back up enough to complete an order...I ventured outdoors to try and find a pair to no avail. Whilst standing in long lines I overheard many conversations of people who were only there to get the shoes to resell. I was extremely annoyed by this and it got me thinking. How does Nike/Jordan Brand feel about people buying their already overpriced product only to sell for 200% profit days after purchase? The shoes were sold twice and Nike only got paid once. If they released more quantities, there'd be less rioting and related madness, less resellers and more money into their own pocket. So.ce these shoes only released once in the last 10 years so if they continued to follow that business model they still would have plenty of demand in 2021. I don't have a better solution to the problem but some of what I read above sounds good...I especially like the pre-order idea. So in closing, Id like to thank JB for providing hypebeasts a means to ruin an iconic release for fans like me. I just wanted a pair to wear..and I couldn't even get that. Thanks bunches.

People who buy strictly to resell is the #1 reason this release got so crazy.

Many people no longer view these as "just shoes" or even as "The New Air Jordans", people view these as a paycheck. You have cats with no interest in Jordan or the shoes buying out entire stores stocks under the table and then employees say "we only got kids sizes". People in line asking "whats the most popular size?". I see dudes buying a pair in-store in RD only to wait unitl an employee says (SOLD OUT OF SIZE ___), then sell them so someone in the back of the line for $100 profit.

Sneakers used to be a fun thing. I used to look forward to RD because it was such a chill envorinment. Everyone waiting in front of the store was on the same page, the only people we had to worry about were shady cats in the parking lot. Now it seems the Xbox/ps3/bigscreen/blackfriday crowd has taken an interest in flipping Jordans and releases turn into mob scenes as soon as they open the gates.

If the only people buying the shoes were people that wanted them to own/wear for themselves there would have been more than enough pairs to go around.

Im sincerly sorry to all those who live in the States and had to endure such a fiasco, yes it is a fiasco, In Australia I walked into footlocker on Saturday afternoon (these released Midnight Thursday Night in my spot), there was no frenzy, no attacks, no rushing, no breaking down doors and no arrests.

I took a look at them, picked them up, looked at how awful the quality was (yes aesthetically they still look good) asked if they had my size, yes they did size 13, price $240AUD plus 10% off because Im a Footlocker member, so $216 AUD which is the same in USD at the moment, and simply said to the store person, its ok, I'll pass.

Chcking eBay today the re-sellers are in force, good luck getting a pair for cheaper than Aussie retail.

Seriously Im 36, retro sneakers are a passion of mine, but not for any of the reasons above, in all seriousness this whole situation is a joke, JB is a joke, the quality is a Joke and all for what? Seriously think about it?

its the hypebeast smh and the resellers making bank off them
dudes want whatever is "in" nowadays years ago in highschool the same dudes religiously buying vans all wanna hop on the jordan craze and its killing the damb culture
(i know you wanna be tumblr famous dudes reading this too)
laugh.gif

im not saying they cant buy em and only us dudes deserve em but damb dudes need to stop being sheeps and buy what they personally like not whats "in" at the moment

yo imma camp out for those black and white space jams...

welcome to the world of capitalism. None of this will ever end. People hype it up so much that everyone felt the needs to get it. (even if it isn't their size). There is nothing we can do, and i believe that this kind of action will not stop anytime soon. Nike or Jordan's is simply more than shoes now. People made it clear that it is a fashion sense that you need to wear it in order to fit in with the norm.

I know that this is right, but there isn't much anyone can do.

To op. Plain and simple.. everything you said is true. The problem is times have changed. We keep up or get left behind. Be one step ahead.

That's why people call this the "shoe game"

Sucks but its the reality of it.

No. People need to do whats best for them, and not their "generation". Or what they remember their generation used to be like. This is not the 1990s. If you dont like the way things are, then don't participate. Call it quits.

You want to be that old man crying about how "they don't make em like they used to"? NO KIDDING! Its been that way ALWAYS. And not just for Jordans.

Man. Someone ALWAYS has to complain about something. Not enough iphones to go around. not enough jordans. not enough tickle me elmo. how much exactly is enough??

I'm 31, and you'd think people my age that supposedly are "original sneakerheads", also have enough common sense to vote with their wallet and NOT support the company you're complaining about.

If you DO, you're just complaining for the sake of complaining.

*EDIT*

And to add something else, OP: Completely WRONG in thinking that Nike limited the Concords.Its the exactly opposite. They were a general release and there were hundreds of thousands made. Its a popular shoe plain and simple. How much is enough? 10 million pairs? Should they just never stop making them at all?

I felt as if my local CHAMPS store had more Concord XI's this year than Cool Grey XI's and Space Jam's in the '09,'10 releases.. Could just be me though..

OP how many pairs were Concords limited to?
roll.gif
You would be shocked at how many pairs JB actually produced. I can understand being mad at quality, but as far as quantity goes... be mad at all the beast.

LOL class action lawsuit? 
roll.gif

JB has an easier chance of suing the tramplers than the other way around.

You are enfuriated, the quality sucks, they are overpriced and you STILL lined up?

Stop buying em/

It was a general release but the mall I bought mine from only had 16 pairs. Only our Finishline got them, Footlocker didn't get them so I'm not sure they truly were a "General Release"

A class action law-suit? For what, being too popular? For having their product hyped by communities such as this one? Nike cannot do a head counf of every person that wants a pair and make them to order. This is a ridiculous expectation. You want them to improve the quality, but lower the price? That's obviously not a realistic expectation is it?! The fact they are perceived as high status and limited is the brands strength; nothing different from Ferrari or Lamborghini. Jordan Brand, however, is within reach of most people (given a bit of time to save).

The stampedes, the riots, the drama rests on the customers shoulders. Indeed, each Footaction/FL/Niketown had their own problems in handling demand, but they didn't bring the crowds to their doorsteps.

As long as the customer base is what it is, it will be what it's been.

The brand has put in the rich time creating an image... a totally legal and ethical image... Sorry.

Jordan isnt to blame for the chaos.  Not even the kids that were out there being destructive.  I blame thier parents and their upbringing.  They should be ashamed of themselves and got everything they deserved.

I think that everyone knows what this is below,

this is my stub from the Double Nickel game. 
I do not agree with the OP's opinion that Jordan's meant something back in the day, because at least in NYC, they did not. Back then, especially during the first release of Air Jordan's, way before retro's became popular, many of his shoes simply sat upon shelves, never selling out. On the first release of the Concord XI's, I was able to walk right into the Athlete's Foot in Times Square, then buy a pair at least three weeks after the release, in a size 14. NYC during that time was an Uptown/Air Force 1 town. Not buying Jordan's to play in was not due to Jordan being the enemy, it was because of you really had game, you didn't want to be seen wearing someone else's name on your feet. Wearing someone's sig was for the burgers, those who sat on the sidelines, then could not even get into the game. I wore mine playing outside in the West 4th Street Tourney in Greenwich Village, and the crowd made fun of me! If any of you know of where I am speaking, that crowd was brutal.
laugh.gif

I sort of redeemed my self as my team won, and I played decent, never wearing them out there again! But even for casual wearers, they weren't even that hot. The patent was considered tacky by some, too over the top, if you can even imagine that now. I distinctly remember a parent saying on the same day I bought mine to her son, that she was not going to pay one hundred and some odd dollars on a pair of tennis shoes, those that were not all leather.  

Sorry for the long winded story, but this is my memory from back in the day. Seeing people stampede for a pair of shoes is really disheartening, especially since some of the people may have more important things to do with that money spent. 

Nike wins here, but at the end of the day, humanity lost. 

Man I havent posted on Niketalk this much in years. But here I go again. To everyone saying it has nothing to do with Nike or JB, and it's solely the hypebeast and resellers to blame, you sound very ignorant. Do you honestly believe these were a GR? I know for a fact stores that received 15 pairs in total. Total. If you got them, cool!! Congrats. Most of us that have been collecting for a while know that if it's that serious we can just pay the $250 up charge that resellers are asking. That's not the point. Nike and JB could have handled the release much better. It's as if they feed off of this chaos. I saw people get trampled, high school students get robbed by much older people. If this type of stuff excites you and makes you more hype that you own a pair of shoes, then you are simply sick. Apple receives the same amount of hype for its products. I know, I stand in the same lines, yet somehow, there isn't chaos, and almost everyone leaves home happy (Or they can return the next day) They sell way more units at a far higher price. So explain to me why Nike is incapable of doing anything other than perpetuating violence by limiting their most sought after shoe? They would have still sold out if they doubled the amount released. What's the issue?

OP, real talk you could of spent 100-150 dollars extra to avoid that nonsense. You seem to be educated, you should have a job just pay the extra money thats all I can offer you. People were selling the shoes for 300 at my mall which isnt that much when you factor in how long some people had to wait.

Originally Posted by aphexacid

Sounds like someone didn't get a pair.

lebron-smallest-violin.gif
cant agree more
i have heard the same song over and over and over and over......................................
its happens to all of us at one time or another 

as always on to the next release 

Originally Posted by brunotattaglia

LOL class action lawsuit? 
roll.gif

JB has an easier chance of suing the tramplers than the other way around.

You are enfuriated, the quality sucks, they are overpriced and you STILL lined up?

Stop buying em/

QFT. I had the opportunity of holding these in my hand as our store got our shipment early and the quality of the shoe is pure trash, glad I passed. The packaging is top notch though and the opening/unveiling of the shoes is an experience. Kudos to JB for hyping these shoes like crazy but a big eff you for killing the charm/lustre that these shoes once had.

Back
Top Bottom