Takeover > Ether

I've said this since both tracks dropped. Ether was a fairly generic diss record. A lot of what was said in there could have been said about any rapper and a lot was just rumor. Hov did come with facts and stuff that was directed directly at Nas. I'll take takeover and blueprint over ether and stillmatic any day.

Sidenote to say stillmatic is garbage is insane. I'm no way a nas stan, but stillmatic is a classic. As is blueprint in my eyes.

Ether was very direct . please point out all of the lyrics that could have been said about any rapper

Look up the lyrics, I'm not saying you don't know them, but actually look at them. The whole first 2 verses could be about any rapper, it isn't til the 3rd verse were he really comes at Hov. Gay-z and cockafella records is beyond clever :rolleyes

In my opinion when you put the third verse of Ether about against the third verse in Takeover, which are the only two verses were either one is truly getting at each other, it's like Nas is playing the dozens, while hov is just like you suck for a,b, and c reason. Nas's whole argument is you took bigs rhymes and dressed stupid and dame dances stupid in your videos. and a bunch of gun talk that we know nas isn't about. Most of ether you could replace any rappers name and it would be the same. You place any other artist name in that verse on takeover and it makes no sense.

I've said this since both tracks dropped. Ether was a fairly generic diss record. A lot of what was said in there could have been said about any rapper and a lot was just rumor. Hov did come with facts and stuff that was directed directly at Nas. I'll take takeover and blueprint over ether and stillmatic any day.

Sidenote to say stillmatic is garbage is insane. I'm no way a nas stan, but stillmatic is a classic. As is blueprint in my eyes.
Ether was very direct . please point out all of the lyrics that could have been said about any rapper
http://www.complex.com/tv/shows/combat-jack/large-professor-on-the-combat-jack-show-ep-3

I tried to avoid this thread but lettuce be cereal here, We all know who sounded hurt on hot 97.

Takeover vs Ether not Ether vs Super Ugly

Don't eem matter man. Even if takeover is the better song (I'm not saying that it is), Jay's reaction to ether after the fact was the end all be all.

It does matter, his reaction was towards the results of a contest between Ether & Super Ugly. So your initial post on how he act on the radio is IRRELEVANT to what's being discussed

It does matter, his reaction was towards the results of a contest between Ether & Super Ugly. So your initial post on how he act on the radio is IRRELEVANT to what's being discussed

dawg, you're in denial. Jay clearly sounded like he got his cookies took. He thought Nas was gonna crawl up in a ball and low and behold, the one hitter-quitter that was Ether stunned him. You can find the video on youtube, clean your ears, put on some glasses and watch it again. I think there was a thread on this not too long ago either, you can go look there too.

"But I will not lose, for even in defeat
There's a valuable lesson learned, so it evens up for me" - Jay-Z on Blueprint 2 and I'm supposed to think he won?

basically.

this is where most people have a problem with jay-z stans...they wont just chalk up da fact that jay-z lost to Nas...damn i mean

hova is winning now, thats not enough that ya STILL gotta go back and attempt this revisionist history? :lol:

^^The same Grammys Jay-Z has boycotted numerous times? If you base any musical artist, let a lone a Hip Hop artist on the Grammys, having a musical debate with you is useless.

Look up the lyrics, I'm not saying you don't know them, but actually look at them. The whole first 2 verses could be about any rapper, it isn't til the 3rd verse were he really comes at Hov. Gay-z and cockafella records is beyond clever :rolleyes

In my opinion when you put the third verse of Ether about against the third verse in Takeover, which are the only two verses were either one is truly getting at each other, it's like Nas is playing the dozens, while hov is just like you suck for a,b, and c reason. Nas's whole argument is you took bigs rhymes and dressed stupid and dame dances stupid in your videos. and a bunch of gun talk that we know nas isn't about. Most of ether you could replace any rappers name and it would be the same. You place any other artist name in that verse on takeover and it makes no sense.

lol.

1st verse is 24 bars ...
entire 2nd half of the 2nd verse is direct
entire 3rd verse is direct

different strokes for different folks . Takeover is about "im better than you because you made one hot album and fell off" . Ether is about "***** i remember when you looked up to me and were a bum *** dude trying to get on wearing hawaiian shirts and biting peoples style . you are my SON"

Hov was hurt by that joint, that's evident can't lie. But I don't think ether was better especially not leaps and bounds better like everyone portrays it to be. Everybody acts like ether is on the same level as hit em up when it's not. Takeover isn't either

Last edited:
just listened to takeover again because i thought i was missing something **** was just ok at best

this ***** Jay was about to cry when ether dropped thats all that needs to be said really

jay did win at the game of life tho but on some rapping **** Nas sonned em

sidenote: I've always felt like dudes who still try and side with jay saying takeover is better would have sex with Jay given the opportunity

Last edited:
just listened to takeover again because i thought i was missing something **** was just ok at best

this ***** Jay was about to cry when ether dropped thats all that needs to be said really

jay did win at the game of life tho but on some rapping **** Nas sonned em

sidenote: I've always felt like dudes who still try and side with jay saying takeover is better would have sex with Jay given the opportunity

Dem camel yambs :evil:

Listen...

Cause the n**** wear a kufi, it don't mean that he bright
Cause you don't understand him, it don't mean that he nice
It just means you don't understand all the b******* that he write
Is it "Oochie Wally Wally" or is it "One Mic"?
Is it "Black Girl Lost" or shorty owe you for ice?

Flawless victory.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom