The College Basketball Post

And you didn't even put Jamie Dixon in there. I don't consider Roy a great coach....more just a good recruiter because that **** I watched today was terrible.

"Cat down in Miami." 
laugh.gif

He's 724-189 as a HC with 2 NCs. Yea, keep that just a "good recruiter" stuff. That Roy Williams can't coach stuff has been groupthink at it's finest for the longest.

Sweet 16 games and times have been announced

Thursday:

Dayton - Stanford @ 7:15
Baylor - Wisconsin @ 7:47
UCLA - Florida @ 9:45
San Diego St - Arizona @ 10:07

Friday:

Tennessee - Michigan @ 7:15
UCONN - Iowa State @ 7:27
Kentucky - Louisville @ 9:40
Michigan State - Virginia @ 9:57

let's get it :pimp: :pimp: :pimp:

He's 724-189 as a HC with 2 NCs. Yea, keep that just a "good recruiter" stuff. That Roy Williams can't coach stuff has been groupthink at it's finest for the longest.
Sorry, but I've been exposed to way too many Carolina games this year, and I'm convinced. 

Sorry, but I've been exposed to way too many Carolina games this year, and I'm convinced. 
And I have too. He takes the blame for the up and down play of the players? Of McAdoo's potential not being what i was initially thought to be? For not having Hairston and strongly lacking a wing scorer?

And I have too. He takes the blame for the up and down play of the players? Of McAdoo's potential not being what i was initially thought to be? For not having Hairston and strongly lacking a wing scorer?
This year he certainly got screwed, but their lack of a clue on defense at some point has to be put on his shoulders. Do you think he could do what Tony Bennett is doing? What about Archie Miller? Take away the talent, and he sucks.

Totally forgot Jamie

But you can't be serious with the Roy talk, I can't stand unc but dude is a elite coach.
I'm dead ******* serious. Like I said, elite recruiter, and there are close to 60 guys who could win with those teams he won with. And guys who would have made Carolina go much further in previous tournaments with the talent he lost with.

I see his record, but I watch their games.....and I have no ill will towards the dude at all. Just annoys me how overlooked it is, and he certainly isn't the only one. I wouldn't say Boeheim is "great."

This year he certainly got screwed, but their lack of a clue on defense at some point has to be put on his shoulders. Do you think he could do what Tony Bennett is doing? What about Archie Miller? Take away the talent, and he sucks.
Take away the talent and how many coaches do what they are doing? That argument is so stupid. Don't you work for Jamie Dixon? He's laid duds with some of his most talented teams how many times? 

And Virginia has a really good team. Do they not have talent? Archie doesn't have talent? He has multiple kids that had HM offers and Sibert was a highly sought after transfer from OSU. Does Boeheim suck for his results too? All CBB coaches have their weaknesses and many of them are stubborn and unwilling to change their ways. In their eyes, what's gotten them this far has worked and many of them are as big or bigger than their respective programs.  I feel like you follow CBB too much to make silly statements like this. 

Take away the talent and how many coaches do what they are doing? That argument is so stupid. Don't you work for Jamie Dixon? He's laid duds with some of his most talented teams how many times? 

And Virginia has a really good team. Do they not have talent? Archie doesn't have talent? He has multiple kids that had HM offers and Sibert was a highly sought after transfer from OSU. Does Boeheim suck for his results too? All CBB coaches have their weaknesses and many of them are stubborn and unwilling to change their ways. In their eyes, what's gotten them this far has worked and many of them are as big or bigger than their respective programs.  I feel like you follow CBB too much to make silly statements like thi
And I'm usually not for blaming coaches, and always prefer to get on players first. But what I was getting at, if you put Roy Williams coaching Dayton. 0% chance they're in the sweet 16. When I say talent, I'm talking about the McDonalds all american guys, obviously nobody does well without it. I can just think of over 20 coaches who are better in-game then Roy.

But recruiting is part of coaching so I'm not knocking that. More just his in-game stuff and general philosophy.

Last edited:

And you didn't even put Jamie Dixon in there. I don't consider Roy a great coach....more just a good recruiter because that **** I watched today was terrible.

"Cat down in Miami." :lol:  

Word. I saw someone say that on twitter recently and had the kobe "what?!" face.

Having several McDonalds All Americans is overrated, imo.

A lot of politics involved.

Unless they are the TOP of their class, obviously.

Last edited:
And I'm usually not for blaming coaches, and always prefer to get on players first. But what I was getting at, if you put Roy Williams coaching Dayton. 0% chance they're in the sweet 16. When I say talent, I'm talking about the McDonalds all american guys, obviously nobody does well without it. I can just think of over 20 coaches who are better in-game then Roy.

But recruiting is part of coaching so I'm not knocking that. More just his in-game stuff and general philosophy.

Archie is a good coach, but I think you are underestimating the luck that went into those wins, plus lucky to get Syracuse, (Bad match up for Dayton style underdogs) on the draw.

Also Dyshawn Pierre is a top 50 recruit, he was underrated becuase he didn't play prep school ball like most Canadian prospects.

McDAA is an overrated way to look at it, IMO. How often are guys gifted McDAA because they commit to a certain school, play for a certain program, etc.? Wasn't Nate Britt a McDAA? Quinn Cook? I prefer the eye test. Rankings and awards just give you a heads up on kids to look for. 

You went from saying 60 coaches would've won with Roy's NC teams to saying 20 coaches are better in-game than him. 
laugh.gif

It's cool if you think that he's overrated as a coach, and I feel like that has been a "narrative" that has caught a lot of steam over the last 5-7 years. His numbers aren't that far behind Coach K, honestly. 

Last edited:
Archie is a good coach, but I think you are underestimating the luck that went into those wins, plus lucky to get Syracuse, (Bad match up for Dayton style underdogs) on the draw.

Also Dyshawn Pierre is a top 50 recruit, he was underrated becuase he didn't play prep school ball like most Canadian prospects.
Alright, I messed up wording most of it. Forget Dayton, I just mean any school where you have to do more with less. And when has he ever done anything close to that? Not even so much about recruits or what not. I'm literally just talking about the game, your schemes, and what you see on TV. Roy is unimpressive.

Go watch Wyoming or Louisiana Tech run some offense.

60 Coaches could have done what Roy did because you don't have to coach much to win with that much talent. It was an arbitrary number, and so was 20. Meant to come off saying there are a TON of coaches who are better then him.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom