The College Basketball Post

I don't feel like Kruger got out coached, game could've went either way, don't think coaching was the deciding factor tonight.
Bra for the final 7 minutes of regulation and ot all they did was run iso pick and roll for everyone not named buddy hield. Ku didnt have to work on defense at all as there was no ball movement. Ku got more easy buckets then Oklahoma and a big part of that was that they were still running offense and that they have some depth

As much as I want to be sold on OU making a run in March, I just don't see it.

They rely too much on their starting lineup, not enough depth.

I agree with this and you forgot the last part coaching lol

monstar monstar Maybe I'm just not sold on what Kruger has outside of Buddy and Woodard on the offensive end lol .. the whole squad looked winded half way thru the 2nd, pretty sure that ISU game Saturday took a lot out of them.

Buddy logged 54 minutes and Mason was all over him for about the last 30. It's possible just didn't have much left. I don't think last night was Kruger's finest moment but coaching likely won't be why they lose in March. There aren't too many better.

Cousins and Spangler are also very good offensive players.

Went to sleep early last night and missed out on a classic
mean.gif
. Love the way Buddy plays.

Also, Bill Self played Diallo 5 mins last night. He's going to try to turn Diallo and Bragg into a 3 year players
laugh.gif
. Self only cares about Self.

If I'm a top 10 blue chip recruit with one and done potential....I'm never going to Kansas under Bill Self. And I like him as a coach.
Have you watched KU this year? And while Diallo is on the floor? Dude is COMPLETELY lost. Trying way too hard to make the big play and isn't letting the game come to him. He has no sense being on the court right now. "Self only cares about Self" ...nah, Self cares about winning.

And, regarding the Blue Chip potential, fair point, but KU has had a handful of OAD guys that have been successful (McLemore, X, Wiggins, Embiid, Oubre) as well, while UK has had a handful of OAD guys that aren't as successful (Daniel Orton, Marquis Teague, Archie Goodwin). While A LOT of other schools have had potential OADs not be successful.

Have you watched KU this year? And while Diallo is on the floor? Dude is COMPLETELY lost. Trying way too hard to make the big play and isn't letting the game come to him. He has no sense being on the court right now. "Self only cares about Self" ...nah, Self cares about winning.

And, regarding the Blue Chip potential, fair point, but KU has had a handful of OAD guys that have been successful (McLemore, X, Wiggins, Embiid, Oubre) as well, while UK has had a handful of OAD guys that aren't as successful (Daniel Orton, Marquis Teague, Archie Goodwin). While A LOT of other schools have had potential OADs not be successful.

Im pretty sure UK's list of OAD to this is better then KU's

Went to sleep early last night and missed out on a classic :smh: . Love the way Buddy plays.

Also, Bill Self played Diallo 5 mins last night. He's going to try to turn Diallo and Bragg into a 3 year players :lol: . Self only cares about Self.

If I'm a top 10 blue chip recruit with one and done potential....I'm never going to Kansas under Bill Self. And I like him as a coach.

What type of success are you referring too?

You always use UK for your comparisons :lol: :smh: .. You could've easily stuck with the last part of your sentence instead of singling out UK beforehand.

Didn't Marquis Teague help lead us to a championship? Archie Goodwin and Daniel Orton were not "top 10 blue chip recruits" or considered OADs, they just left early.

If you mean success after KU, only player doing anything is Wiggins.

Unbelieveable game last night and I am dead *** tired right now at work.

:rofl:Lattin slapping his chest saying, 'I got this.' Then promptly bricked the FT.

Selden is the most frustrating player in KU history. Shows flashes but disappears for even longer stretches.

Grandpa Ellis. He may get rejected 50 times a game but he can get buckets. With that expanded range to the 3 he has become even more dangerous.

:rofl:When Greene got shook and fell down. Dude plays D standing straight up. When a team isolates him that guy is getting to the rim or getting fouled.

Home crowd was LIT last night.

Frank Mason played lights out on D last night. I know, hard to say when I guy goes off for 46 but Buddy earned all 24 of his pts in the second half when Mason was guarding him.

Diallo looks lost and sped up when he gets in. NCAA did him dirty and because of that we, as KU fans may never see his full potential.

Lucas was good down the stretch. Gives you nothing offensively but is an enforcer and can hit his FT's.

:wow:'Mari's blocks and him getting away with two goal tends.

Buddy was a monster. Had the feeling that if he got even a remote look at the bucket it was going in.

Went to sleep early last night and missed out on a classic
mean.gif
. Love the way Buddy plays.

Also, Bill Self played Diallo 5 mins last night. He's going to try to turn Diallo and Bragg into a 3 year players
laugh.gif
. Self only cares about Self.

What type of success are you referring too?

You always use UK for your comparisons
laugh.gif
mean.gif
.. You could've easily stuck with the last part of your sentence instead of singling out UK beforehand.

Didn't Marquis Teague help lead us to a championship? Archie Goodwin and Daniel Orton were not "top 10 blue chip recruits" or considered OADs, they just left early.

If you mean success after KU, only player doing anything is Wiggins.
By success, I mean a combo of being good in college and then having a solid NBA career.

What's wrong with using UK as a comparison? The only reason I do that is because I feel it's UK, Duke, KU, Mich State (in that order) in terms of top CBB programs right now...so I want to compare to the the top program in the country. It's a compliment to UK.

Good point on Teague, you are correct. But, to be fair, McLemore was not a top ten recruit either, Embiid was a top ten recruit, but came out of nowhere.

X was good (not great) at KU. Averaged 13 PPG, shot a high percentage, as were the others I mentioned. Embiid was great at KU during the last two months of the year, while healthy.

Diallo looks lost and sped up when he gets in. NCAA did him dirty and because of that we, as KU fans may never see his full potential.

Couldn't agree more. That's why he doesn't play guys. Coming out of HS he was a "high-motor, very raw" type guy. Not polished. And that's okay. The light will come on eventually and, as of right now, he will be back to KU next year...which is okay.

Xavier Henry mention :wow:

Completely forgot about dude. Talk about fading into Bolivia once he hit the league. And let's not forget about Selby's OAD flameout career :smh:

Okay for Kansas fans

exactly.
laugh.gif

This class is garbage. Cheik aint playing bad, still could go top 10. I don't see why he would stay really.
Isn't it Bill Self's job to win basketball games while developing players? I don't understand this argument of "why isn't Cheick playing, I'd never go to KU if I were a recruit, etc etc" ...so Cheick should just play because he's a top ten recruit and arguably the best pro prospect on the team although he is completely lost on the offensive (and defensive at times) end? ...seems like a VERY fast way for Self to lose his team when guys like Landen Lucas and Hunter Mickleson and Jamari Traylor have been at KU for a longer period of time and understand their role 10x more than Cheick does.

Also, OKB, no offense to you, and we still have a long season to go, but Cheick has been playing poorly. Watch his game against Baylor. He is completely lost. And that's okay, for right now, but, if the season ended tomorrow, I'd be pretty surprised if he didn't return for his Soph season.

Also, I know there is the Josh Selby and Cliff argument...but, there's a handful of guys that went to other schools as well...Chris Walker, Fab Melo, etc.

Last edited:
Isn't it Bill Self's job to win basketball games while developing players? I don't understand this argument of "why isn't Cheick playing, I'd never go to KU if I were a recruit, etc etc" ...so Cheick should just play because he's a top ten recruit and arguably the best pro prospect on the team although he is completely lost on the offensive (and defensive at times) end? ...seems like a VERY fast way for Self to lose his team when guys like Landen Lucas and Hunter Mickleson and Jamari Traylor have been at KU for a longer period of time and understand their role 10x more than Cheick does.

Also, OKB, no offense to you, and we still have a long season to go, but Cheick has been playing poorly. Watch his game against Baylor. He is completely lost. And that's okay, for right now, but, if the season ended tomorrow, I'd be pretty surprised if he didn't return for his Soph season.

Also, I know there is the Josh Selby and Cliff argument...but, there's a handful of guys that went to other schools as well...Chris Walker, Fab Melo, etc.

I didn't say he should be playing. Self can do what he wants, and its not surprising that he's a step slow missing all that time.

If he returns thats up to him but this class is garbage, this is still a potential business, and when it's draft time and you need a big, who are you going to take over him?

Poetel for sure but after that, Skal Ellesson, Bender, Rabb, Zimmerman none of these guys are playing so much better than Cheik. and guys who are like Diamond Stone, Sabonis don't profile as starter in the modern NBA.

This is just the reality, if he shows improvment over the year, im not sure how he sin't a lottery pick.

I'm not critisizing Self, I'm just warning you, don't assume he will be back.

Last edited:
The idea that any of these college coaches/program make that much of a difference when they have a kid for a max of 9, 10 months is naive to start with.

Last edited:

I didn't say he should be playing. Self can do what he wants, and its not surprising that he's a step slow missing all that time.

If he returns thats up to him but this class is garbage, this is still a potential business, and when it's draft time and you need a big, who are you going to take over him?

Poetel for sure but after that, Skal Ellesson, Bender, Rabb, Zimmerman none of these guys are playing so much better than Cheik. and guys who are like Diamond Stone, Sabonis don't profile as starter in the modern NBA.

This is just the reality, if he shows improvment over the year, im not sure how he sin't a lottery pick.

I'm not critisizing Self, I'm just warning you, don't assume he will be back.
I got you. I mean, like I said, if the season ended tomorrow, I'd be shocked if he left. There's still three months until that decision will be made. Hasn't Ellesson been playing well? Rabb as well?
The idea that any of these college coaches/program make that much of a difference when they have a kid for a max of 9, 10 months is naive to start with.
Agreed 100%. I mean was it really Self that made Embiid improve so much so fast? Physically? Probably not. My guess is he increased his confidence and made Embiid believe he could do whatever he wanted when healthy.

Blakmon, dude alreadfy had meniscus surgery this summer and tore his ACL in high school :smh:

Crean gonna get another three years off of this:\

I'm speaking more so in the perspective that if you're a potential OAD blue chip top 10 recruit....Kansas isn't the best choice. Self while being a good coach, isn't in the business of making his top recruits look good and getting them drafted high. He's trying to win, and won't hesitate to bench you or put you in a smaller role...or limit you.

Other programs allow the OAD's to be in featured roles and play thru mistakes etc. I can imagine Diamond Stone seeing 5mpg on Kansas and spending 2+ years there....

At UMD, he's featured and likely gone after this year.

I'm speaking more so in the perspective that if you're a potential OAD blue chip top 10 recruit....Kansas isn't the best choice. Self while being a good coach, isn't in the business of making his top recruits look good and getting them drafted high. He's trying to win, and won't hesitate to bench you or put you in a smaller role...or limit you.

Other programs allow the OAD's to be in featured roles and play thru mistakes etc. I can imagine Diamond Stone seeing 5mpg on Kansas and spending 2+ years there....

At UMD, he's featured and likely gone after this year.
I understand. I think Self is just stubborn and cares more about winning games than making sure his Blue Chip guys get their playing-time...and, I'm biased, but I don't think there is anything wrong with that. Obviously whatever Self is doing is working.

There is nothing wrong with that honestly. Do whatever you can to put the team in the best situation to win....However, if I were a recruit that only cared about being OAD, I personally wouldn't go to a school like Kansas/Syracuse/GTown/UVA/Wisconsin that tends to play a certain style that sometimes doesn't allow you to completely shine and utilize your whole skillset and potential. Unless I were literally the #1 recruit or something like that. Then it wouldn't matter (Embiid, Wiggins, Melo).

Back
Top Bottom