The College Basketball Post

Man them Harrison twins and wiggins are the future. I really don't wanna see the NBA in 2030. Evolution is real

If all 3 of them land at UK :wow:

Foregone conclusion imo that Wiggins reclasses to '13. Itll be fsu or uk for him

The twins are UMD all day.

And yeah, whoever asked, they're a couple of **** heads but damn those kids are studs.

THE HARRISON TWINS, UNDER ARMOUR, AND THE UNIVERSITY OF MARYLAND
Written by Michael Rogner on Wednesday, 01 August 2012 17:19.

Every year there is talk of "package deals" in recruiting, and every year almost all of them turn out to be false. And then comes the 2013 recruiting class, which feature two players in the top-10 who are not only brothers, but twins. Andrew and Aaron Harrison, if everything continues, could be the most important "package deal" in the business.

Unfortunately their recruitment is becoming less about their games, less about their unique back-story, and more about the last word I used in the above paragraph: business.

Of course there is the standard story of the one-and-done rule (which I've gone on record as being against). For elite players who could immediately be 1st round picks in the NBA Draft - then yes, the college choice is almost exlusively a business decision. It comes down to which program can most improve your game.

But that's not the business I'm talking about. The business is the shoe business.

This is youth basketball after all, a sport consistently influenced by shoe companies for a few decades now. Sonny Vaccaro may be out, but there are endless examples of guys stepping in to fill the void.

Yesterday Gary Parrish published a piece about the summer leagues after talking to Sonny Vaccaro. Vaccaro is working on a 30 for 30 story with ESPN, so expect that to be this year's version of Play Their Hearts Out - something we'll read (or watch in this case), and we'll be disgusted by the few criminally corrupt figures who give AAU basketball a bad name, and then nothing we'll change. The NCAA will make a few token, meaningless, rules - but until their cash flow is threatened no real policing is going to occur. Another year, another story.

But I digress. Back to Parrish. The interesting part about his article was his discussion of how Under Armour is now a major player, and how the Harrison twins play for an Under Armour club.

It's damn near impossible to watch the best prospects compete against the best prospects anymore because almost every elite prospect is aligned with either Nike, Adidas or Under Armour. So the Nike kids play in one place while the Adidas kids play in another and the Under Armour kids play in another. This often plays a role in recruiting, too. For instance, one of the interesting recruiting battles over the coming months will be for the services of twin brothers Aaron and Andrew Harrison, and most expect it to come down to Kentucky and Maryland. Why Kentucky and Maryland? Because Kentucky is Kentucky and John Calipari is John Calipari, and those two entities have a way of getting things done. And because Maryland is the alma mater of Kevin Plank, who is the CEO of Under Armour, which is the company that outfits Maryland's athletic department and this summer funded the Harrison twins, both of whom are consensus top-10 prospects.
Parrish just assumes that the reason the twins are considering Maryland is because of Under Armour. Never mind that Maryland is an upper tier program in terms of resources, facilities, etc.... arguably No. 3 in the ACC behind UNC and Duke. Never mind the twins' father's long term association with Maryland assistant Bino Ranson, or the twins family in Maryland, or their relationship with head coach Mark Turgeon from his Texas A&M days. For Parrish, it's just Under Armour.

And who knows? He might be right. That's the sad state of college basketball recruiting. Everyone knows that something is going on. If it's not with the twins, then it is with someone else. So Parrish can lob blanket comments like his and very few people will take offense, and those that do are likely doing it for the wrong reasons.

In another article Michigan State head coach Tom Izzo talked about how AAU and the forces associated with it - shoe companies, agents, 3rd parties - have come to change the landscape.

"It's just sad," Izzo said. "I don't see any way of stopping it, unless everything is curtailed and AAU basketball goes under USA Basketball. It just seems like they can't take on that animal. So everyone makes money off basketball."

That 30 for 30 that Sonny is working on should be interesting.

Last edited:
I doubt Sonny will incriminate himself... but that doesn't mean that the director won't do his due dilligence and paint an accurate picture.

Really?? Everything I have read is saying UK...
They're right there but everybody down here thinks UMD with Shaq.

My biggest thing is I don't think Turgeon can close them. He never recruited worth a damn at A&M. He won mostly with Billy's guys and didn't leave much when he left.

Trey Lyles decommited from Indiana.

Watched him play every game of the fiba Americas tournament, and in Canada at the team canada game, dude is soooo polished, out played was the best player on team with Wiggins for half the tournament, rebounds, shoots 3's, sick with his back to the basket.

USA don goofed letting him go to team canada, hopefully they don't realize there mistake, take him over anyone not named Wigigns or Okafor in 2014.

Trey Lyles decommited from Indiana.

USA don goofed letting him go to team canada, hopefully they don't realize there mistake, take him over anyone not named Wigigns or Okafor in 2014.

I'd take Noah Vonleh over him and not think twice about it .

They still won't release the date the UK vs Duke tickets go on sale, I'd consider traveling to Atlanta for that event.

Trey decommitting :smh:

Hopefully we are as good as advertised this year and he reconsiders. I know Troy Williams seriously has us in the mix now. Looking good with BeeJay Anya as well.

Will Sheehey supposedly has had a great summer and is much improved as well.

ESPN updated the 2013 Top 100 today...UK needs to get to work,our only 2013 recruit isn't even in the top 100...

[h3]Stocks rising and falling this summer
in.gif
[/h3]
August, 8, 2012
Aug 8

9:44

AM ET

By Chad Ford
US Presswire, AdidasSteven Adams and Isaiah Austin both impressed NBA teams with their play this summer.

We debuted our first 2013 Top 100 the day after the 2012 NBA draft. Now we're ready for our first big update of our Top 100. How can players improve their stocks during the offseason?

The truth is, there isn't an offseason anymore. College players serve as camp counselors at events like LeBron's Nike Skills Academy and the adidas Nations camp. At the end of the day, the camp counselors play full-court scrimmages against each other and sometimes against NBA players.

NBA scouts are in attendance and the impressions that these players make in the summer can have a huge effect on how they are ranked and evaluated throughout the course of the year.

Over the past few weeks I've spoken with a number of NBA scouts who were in attendance at these camps. Here's a look at a handful of guys who have helped or hurt their stock this summer.
[h3]The freshmen[/h3]
Nerlens Noel, F/C, Kentucky Wildcats
Noel showed up at the adidas Nations camp last weekend and, by virtually every account, was a major disappointment. While longtime high school gurus knew that Noel was incredibly raw, NBA scouts got a pretty big taste of just how raw he was. Offensively, Noel struggled to do anything other than dunk the ball. Defensively he showed why he was a terrific shot-blocker, but did little else to impress.

Last year Anthony Davis showed up at the LeBron James Skills Academy and virtually every scout in attendance claimed he was the best prospect there. I couldn't find anyone who was willing to say the same about Noel.

"He's got the raw abilities, but he doesn't have any of the intangibles of Anthony Davis," one scout said. "I think he's going to get better and [UK coach John Calipari] will help him a lot. But I told my GM to temper his expectations. We're probably going to see a season closer to Andre Drummond's than Anthony Davis."

Noel began the season in late June ranked No. 1 on our Big Board. A lot of NBA scouts are now questioning whether he really belongs there. On the other hand, if Noel isn't No. 1, then who is? No one had a clear favorite to replace him.

Isaiah Austin, F/C, Baylor Bears
While Noel disappointed, most NBA scouts came away with a lot of positive things to say about Austin. He didn't necessarily put up huge numbers all week, but Austin's skill set and size really intrigued scouts.

"I think he's a better prospect than Perry Jones or Quincy Miller," one NBA scout said. "I wish he was 25 pounds heavier and I wish Baylor had guards that would get him the ball, but I do think he's got a chance to be the best freshman in his class."

Steven Adams, PF, Pittsburgh Panthers
Adams wowed folks at the adidas Nations camp last summer. The 6-foot-10, physical big man led the camp in rebounding and physically destroyed the competition he played against. His NBA body, strength, motor and willingness to attack the glass convinced virtually everyone who saw him that he's the real deal.

This year, with increased expectations, competition and scrutiny, he didn't have quite the same impact. However, NBA scouts all felt like Adams had a good week and shows enormous potential. He is still very raw and needs to improve his feel for the game, but all of them said they felt he had the physical tools to still be an NBA lottery pick someday.

[+] Enlarge
Andrew B. Fielding/US PresswireNBA teams are beginning to view Tony Mitchell as a possible top-5 pick.
[h3]The returning collegians[/h3]
Tony Mitchell, F, North Texas Mean Green
NBA scouts all raved about Mitchell's performance in Las Vegas at the LeBron James Skills Academy. Mitchell's combination of length (he measured with a 7-foot-3 wingspan), toughness and rebounding ability caught scouts' eyes.

"If he was at Missouri instead of North Texas, we'd be talking about him as top-5 pick in the upcoming draft," one NBA scout said. "He's that good and the draft is that bad. But he's got all the tools to be a very effective NBA player."

If some of the elite freshmen stumble, don't be surprised to see Mitchell becoming the default safe pick in the top five.

Otto Porter, SF, Georgetown Hoyas
Porter began to catch scouts' eyes at the Maui Classic last year and this summer, at the LeBron camp, he took things to the next level. While he doesn't have any one thing to really hang his hat on as a prospect, he is good at just about everything, has great size for his position and has a tireless work ethic on the court. Virtually every scout I spoke with said they believe Porter could be a lottery pick in the 2013 draft.

Gorgui Dieng, C, Louisville Cardinals
Dieng has improved his body over the summer and is finally coming into his own as the monster defensive presence scouts began to see last season. He is playing with more aggression and physicality. In a draft devoid of big men who are legitimate NBA players, Dieng has a chance to make a major impression this season. If he really takes his game to the next level, he too could end up sneaking into the mid-first round or late lottery.

Mason Plumlee, F/C, Duke Blue Devils
After Mason's brother, Miles, snuck into the first round last year, scouts began re-evaluating Mason. Mason is taller, also a terrific athlete and he's produced better than his brother -- despite being young. If Miles Plumlee is the 26th pick in a loaded draft, what is Mason in a weak one?

Plumlee impressed scouts at both events this summer and, if he gets the ball enough, could work his way into that same late lottery to mid-first-round range.

Ray McCallum, PG, Detroit Titans
McCallum was mentioned along with Arkansas' B.J. Young and Missouri's Phil Pressey as the best point guard teams saw this summer. McCallum has always been a scout favorite, but didn't exactly dominate as a freshman or sophomore at Detroit. His play at adidas Nations gave scouts hope that this is the season he will break out. He was shooting the ball better and was much more aggressive. In a draft with very few point guard prospects, McCallum may have a chance to sneak into the first round.

Deshaun Thomas, G/F, Ohio State Buckeyes
Thomas is a scoring machine. College fans already know that. This summer, he lost some weight and improved his quickness. That's going to be the biggest question for him in the draft: Does he have the athleticism to score the way he does in college at the NBA level? He made a stronger case this summer, but a number of scouts are still on the fence.

Isaiah Canaan, G, Murray State Racers
Canaan doesn't really look much like a point guard. The question is whether he can play point guard in the pros. Some scouts walked away from Canaan's play at both LeBron and Nations questioning that. But many more felt convinced that Canaan could actually pull it off. In a draft that lacks a ton of point guard prospects, a great season could get him into the first round

Went to the semi finals of the NC Pro Am and as much as it hurts to say(GTHCGTH!) Reggie Bullock looks he's ready to step up and be a leader for the heels.PJ had crazy sequence at the end of the half,where he hit reggie with a mean in-n-out followed by banging on Stackhouse.Reggie got the better of PJ besides that and the W.The other game featured Seth Curry vs Quinn Cook ,Suliamon,Jeffferson and And Rodney Hood.Hood is going to be an absolute beast.Really can't see in him being in Durham for more than a two years.Whoever said he's the best wing Duke's landed since Loul was right.Cook looks like he's fully recovered from his knee problems.I expect him to start over Thorton.Sulaimon played the passing lanes really well,his defense is reminds me of Avery Bradley.Jefferson is scrappy and polished around the rim,but he really needs to gain like 20lbs.Seth's handle is alot better.Funniest part of the night was Rasheed Wallace getting a technical for cussing at ref for a bad call.Championship is tommorrow and some celeb game before that.JT Terrel tweeted he'll be playing.Wouldn't be surprised if some other big names pop up.

Last edited:
:lol: @ the comments section

UK fans get WILD offended at the mere mention of "William Wesley and John Calipari"

Back
Top Bottom