The College Basketball Post

This story has nothing to do with the UNC Academic Scandal, but it is still incredibly interesting. Once again, fantastic reporting from Chapel Hill’s Public Enemy No. 1, Dan Kane.

When Tyler Hansbrough, the former UNC star, was a senior, his mom got a job as a “fundraiser for the foundation that serves” UNC’s dental school. Her salary was $95,000 a year.

Through a detailed audit, the school noticed something odd – Tami Hansbrough traveled a lot on the school dime, often to where her son, Tyler was playing. (The school says she was doing some fundraising on those trips.) But she was also taking trips – again, on UNC’s dime – to see her son Ben play for Notre Dame. And she was also taking trips – unspecified, but not job-related – with the school’s chief fundraiser, Matt Kupec, a former UNC QB in the 70s. The two were dating. UNC paid for those, too.

If possible, the story gets better:
In mid-2010, Kupec sought to hire a fundraiser. By then, Kupec was in a relationship with Hansbrough, Thorp said, and Thorp had heard that she might be interested in the job. When Thorp learned that she would be reporting to Kupec in the new job, Thorp told Kupec he could not hire her because it would violate the university’s nepotism policy since they were in a relationship.

The position disappeared and was never filled. A short time later, another fundraising position surfaced, only this time it reported to Winston Crisp, who is the vice chancellor for student affairs. Thorp said he had supported the position being created.

After what Thorp said was a proper job search with multiple candidates, Crisp hired Hansbrough for the job. But Hansbrough traveled regularly with Kupec, who separated from his wife in October 2009. The marriage ended two years later, Orange County records show.
Kupec really wanted to get Tami Hansbrough that job, huh?

Kupec has been fired by the school. Tami Hansbrough’s boss at the foundation lost his job, too. Hansbrough has been placed on administrative leave. [News & Observer]

Nah, I still want kid very badly but the second he decomitted, I figured it was bye-bye.
So when is Duke's title getting stripped? Or will the NCAA favor their golden boys?

they won't strip Champions. (Darrell Arthur)

but how does a dude with no job drop $30K and get credited for $70K... to be paid in full in two weeks?! :lol:

Just no good college basketball news coming out right now... 
tired.gif

And in regards to the Harvard stuff.....you give a take home test on an intro course and people collaborated? WTF you think is going to happen. Stupid there team is shot now.

Billy Gillispie has been taking his sick days, been told he can't have any interaction with anyone in the program... his best player says he don't want him back... and today he flew from Texas to Minnesota today to get more treatment for high-blood pressure. :smh:

Marcus Lee down to three schools UK,Louisville,and Cal

Julius Randle had his in home visit with UK and NC State yesterday and UNC today...UNC is still considered the front runner even though Randle recently made comments about being excited about the potential to join the potentially legendary 2013 UK class..

A lot of talk about UK potentially "giving up" on Jabari Parker even though the the contact period just began..

Last edited:
Good, very good. :smokin

Yeah everything seems to point to them being more worried about Wiggins re-classing and him being their biggest target for 2013...I'm pretty sure we got him locked up....I'm sure they will still show him some interest but Randle,the twins,and Wiggins are their main concern....

The twins are UMDs to lose. Where are we on Randle? Still expect him to go to UNC or UK.

I'm not even sure if we're still in the Bari sweepstakes as well either, Izzo might have Kyser Sozed the recruitment :lol: :smh:

The twins are UMDs to lose. Where are we on Randle? Still expect him to go to UNC or UK.
I'm not even sure if we're still in the Bari sweepstakes as well either, Izzo might have Kyser Sozed the recruitment :lol: :smh:

Randle is UK or UNC with a slight UNC favor...Parker is still listed everywhere as Mich St. or Duke as the top favorites unless UK tries to sneak in,aren't giving him that much attention though...
I don't think the twins are as locked to UMD as everybody thinks ,I still think UK pulls them...

How good is the kid that Duke just got a commitment from? Top 30, but I swear I never saw his name before a few days ago.

If I had a guess I would say

Wiggins- UK
Parker- MSU
Randle- UK
Twins- Maryland

I don't think the Twins end up at UK just cause I think the back court might have a lil bit of a logjam while when they come to College Park it will be there show from he jump.

Kids should be weary about Duke with the oncoming suspension :nerd:

so who does everyone like this year?

My top 40:

1. Louisville
2. Kentucky
3. Duke
4. Florida
5. Ohio State
6. Indiana
7. Missouri
8. Kansas
9. Michigan State
10. UNC
11. NC State
12. Syracuse
13. Tennessee
14. Baylor
15. Arkansas
16. Arizona
17. Miami
18. Memphis
19. Michigan
20. Marquette
21. Georgetown
22. Texas
23. Notre Dame
24. UCLA
25. UNLV
26. San Diego State
27. Iowa State
28. Minnesota
29. West Virginia
30. Alabama
31. Wisconsin
32. Cincinnati
33. Oklahoma State
34. Pitt
35. Cal
36. VCU
37. Uconn
38. Creighton
39. Iowa
40. Florida State

others: Drexel, Kanas State, Virginia, Washington, Colorado, Oklahoma, Stanford, Ohio, Murray St, Umass, Colorado St, St. Joe's.

Texted my boy who plays for UCONN and he said dudes are in shock lol, guess they thought Calhoun was at least gonna start the year at the helm :lol:

Guess Ollie will have a year to show his worth. They actually have some talent on that roster though as long as Bazz doesn't **** everything up again.

Allen you know your my guy and I hardly think Indiana is a clear-cut No. 1 preseason favorite...but 6? Really? Dook ahead of them? Kentucky at 2? Florida with Boynton and Rosario chucking it away? I know it's your list but c'mon, first time we are worth **** in ages and we still getting snubbed. No love *Snoop voice*Let it be known then*Snoop Voice*

Too high on Duke, too low on UNLV and SDSU...Actually, I disagree with a lot of ur list lol.

Larry Drew to start at pg for UCLA hahahahahahaha.

Kids should be weary about Duke with the oncoming suspension
nerd.gif
:lol: of course you'd think that. Bottom line is anyone who walked into a jewelry store with 30k is going to get  68k credit, the store would be stupid to turn away that type of money. As far as the NCAA goes the 30k isn't the problem it's the credit. Whether or not that credit would be offered to a normal student, which if a normal student has 30k then I see no reason for it not to be. No agent was gonna give Lance any advance and Duke wasn't gonna pay him that :lol: if Lance was getting that from someone around our program then who knows what they would pay for good players.

The Jewelry store owner isn't talking to the NCAA and said that the story is being blown out of proportion. The suit was filed back in January. Nothing is going to happen. 
Randle is UK or UNC with a slight UNC favor...Parker is still listed everywhere as Mich St. or Duke as the top favorites unless UK tries to sneak in,aren't giving him that much attention though...
I don't think the twins are as locked to UMD as everybody thinks ,I still think UK pulls them...
Not sure where you saw the UNC stuff. This is the last update i've heard. Don't see him passing up the opportunity to play with his best friend Matt Jones honestly.

@clintjackson1-Kentucky and Duke strong. Kansas, UNC and Florida very much in picture

As far as the NCAA goes the 30k isn't the problem it's the credit. Whether or not that credit would be offered to a normal student, which if a normal student has 30k then I see no reason for it not to be.

while nothing is gonna happen... you can't be stupid enough to believe that crap. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom