The College Basketball Post

Originally Posted by Ricardo Malta

Dre, you not goin' to the Blue/White game at Duke? It's Homecoming weekend this weekend and I was thankin' bout catchin' that flight down to RDU and gettin' it in for a couple days in Dur'm.
nerd.gif
Snow Bunnies FTW!

smh.gif
smh.gif
smh.gif

I'm going to Charlotte on Friday son...

I forgot all about the Blue/White game....

And my dude who goes to duke (He's a Kappa out there) told me 2 weeks about that homecoming was coming up...and it totally slipped my mind.
indifferent.gif

I dunno man...I might have to stick around....I'm trying to go on a bunny chase w/ ya...(pause)

nerd.gif
nerd.gif

October 11, 2008
[h1]Critically Thinking Lubick Eschews Nonsense[/h1]
Ron Bailey

Related Links:
In the end, Lubick likes Hoyas

http://georgetown.rivals.com/forum.asp?SID=1104&FID=1607
October 11, 2008 - For years now, the Georgetown men's basketball program has not only won on the court, but most importantlygraduated its players who have stayed for four years at an impressive 98% clip (104 of 106). Considering the abysmal results many colleges have in graduatingtheir big time college basketball student athletes, this should, and is, a cause for celebration. Of the last G'Town hoops graduating class, consisting ofJonathan Wallace, Roy Hibbert, TylerCrawford and Patrick Ewing, Jr., all of the players earned that 'sheepskin', the raison d'etre for attending college.

When schools such as Virginia, Stanford and Duke perform similarly, they are certainly, and rightfully, lauded. (This linked article, though slightly dated and whose statistics don'taccount for those athletes who have left programs before its six year study period, nevertheless provides some context).

[table][tr][td]
NATELUBICK6_23200.JPG
[/td] [td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Nate Lubick has been well taught by his family to think individually.[/td] [/tr][/table]Unfortunately, there is a big 'but' attached to Georgetown, a curious double standard imposed on that program and seeminglynone other. Of course it's society's 800 pound gorilla (symbolism chosen purposely) - race.

The canard has long been the Hoyas, first under John Thompson, Jr., then Craig Eshrick, followed by John Thompson III, refuse to recruit white players. Arelated myth is that if white student athletes were recruited, they weren't talented ones, as the program's leaders were only comfortable with blackkids from economically challenged backgrounds; this despite Eshrick being white.

Some have even posited outright racism, first from Thompson, Jr.- A 6'10", intelligent and opinionated man who has long been a lightning rod forcriticism, including not only the racial makeup of his teams, but also their aggressive play, as well as claimed hostility to the media - and then by birthextension his son, Thompson III, the team's present head coach.

Of course myths flourish due to ignorance. Case in point is that most of the Hoyas, most, not all, have been from middle/working class backgrounds, defeatingthat persistent hard scrabble narrative. There is no doubt Thompson Jr.'s teams played aggressively and physically, but by no means had the corner onintimidation or rough play; anybody remember Syracuse's Pearl Washington taking a swing at Patrick Ewing?

Regarding the media, the elder Thompson (as his son now does) did not allow freshman to talk to the media immediately upon enrollment because they were notnecessarily prepared to do so, in a manner befitting them or the program. Essentially, their education was/is viewed to extend beyond the hardwood, and alogical adjustment period was imposed.

Thompson, Jr. himself was reportedly prickly with the media (he still can be), but has no hold on that, as most established, successful college coaches,retired or not, are at least from time to time. Again, standards applied differently.

What's uber-perplexing is the known fact most big time college hoops squad's starting and contributing players are African-American, whether or not theteam's coach happens to be. Accordingly, Thompson was criticized for having primarily black teams, yet his foes trotted on the court units similar inracial makeup, but never were criticized for it.

As a result of this murky history of innuendo, supposition, and double standard, the widely held, and still apparently fiercely clung and hotly debated beliefthat Georgetown doesn't recruit white guys, particularly good ones, flourishes. (For a recent support of this position, click here, while arefutation is here).

Old ideas die hard.

"Absolutely" shared recent Class of 2010 Hoya recruiting commit, Nate Lubick, a close to 6'9", 230 pound, 17 year old...(gulp), white guy,when asked if he experienced those suggesting The Hilltop was not the place for him. "It still is (being said). Absolutely, people are still saying (afterhis commitment) 'No white players go there'".

His AAU coach, T.J. Grassnola, also white, has heard similar things. "Of course you do, the comments 'Why would a white guy go toGeorgetown?'" said the gregarious Grassnola, the head of the NE Playaz AAU/travel team outfit, for which Lubick plays.

Grassnola then poised the salient hypothetical, "Why would a black guy go to Indiana?" Basically, because it would be the school he and those aroundhim felt was best, which of course was T.J.'s point.

"That school of thought that was created about the ethnicity of Georgetown, isn't a reflection of JT3 (the current G'Town coach's nickname) atall" continued Grassnola. "The guy is a class act. To be honest with you, I'm happy Nate did pick them…And he's not any 'ol guy, he'sgood!"

Lubick previously has noted of Georgetown "It's a great school,basketball wise and academically", with the team's "style of play" fitting his skill set. Nate also identified Thompson, as well as KenyaHunter, a Hoya assistant coach, as central to his decision. Grassnola, too mentioned Hunter as important in the process, saying "Kenya did a greatjob" recruiting Nate.

[table][tr][td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [td]
464266.jpg
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]HoyaReport.com[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]John Thompson III has guided every player he has coached, at G'Town and Princeton before that, to a college degree.[/td] [/tr][/table]Where does a young man get the strength to buck conventional ill-wisdom, instead choosing a school based on his merits,and not the predilections of others? In Nate's case, his family, including father Dave, a student athlete himself at the University of Chicago, helpedinstill an important quality in his son.

"I was taught that" responded the younger Lubick to whether his dad and family instilled in him a sense of critical thinking, a skill many don'tstress in education presently (just ask college professors).

Young people are not the only ones lacking critical thinking, as if broadly applied, one would have to question not the Georgetown program for a dearth ofwhite performers - stand out or not - but those around the kids for steering them away from The Hilltop (see the comments still being heaped upon Nate).

In the final analysis, Lubick made a choice based on relationships, fit, academics, and comfort; the very criteria young people are counseled to use. The hopeshould be now no baggage of the past will be heaped upon his shoulders, that Nate is allowed to learn, grow and prosper without bearing the ridiculous crossesof those older than him.

Originally Posted by Ricardo Malta

Malta, what's the word on Stanley Robinson?

He's gone or coming back in the middle of the season?
That bama is in 'bama taking classes at a CC down there. It's looking bleek that he'll come back as there's rumors that he might just try someplace new come spring semester. If he gets his grades WAY up this semester and shows he's ready to go, mentally and physically, then I think Calhoun will take him back. Scratch that, you DAMN WELL Calhoun will take him back. Without him at the 3, IMO, we're a 2nd tier team and Calhoun knows this year is as good of a chance as any to win the NC cause we're losing AJ, Adrien, Austrie and more than likely Hasheem, so now is the time.

Dre, you not goin' to the Blue/White game at Duke? It's Homecoming weekend this weekend and I was thankin' bout catchin' that flight down to RDU and gettin' it in for a couple days in Dur'm.
nerd.gif
Snow Bunnies FTW!
Word.

On paper that definitely hurts their chances A LOT.

Originally Posted by allen3xis

What schools is ESPNU showcasing on Friday night? Other than G'town..?

BRISTOL, Conn. - Gonzaga University will be one of five stops as ESPNU will televise four hours of Midnight Madness basketball coverage beginning at 6 p.m. PT on Friday, Oct. 17, expanding its coverage 30 minutes from last season and showcasing more schools.

The network will present extensive whip-around coverage of several Midnight Madness events, including those at Gonzaga, Davidson, Kansas, Georgetown and Indiana, which will be the five primary men's basketball programs highlighted. Several of ESPN's top men's college basketball analysts will be on hand at each of the sites, such as Jay Bilas, Fran Fraschilla, Bill Raftery and Steve Lavin, providing practice coverage, analysis, and courtside interviews with the head coach and key players from each team.

Originally Posted by wildKYcat

Jeremy Tyler and Lousville is a disaster waiting to happen

pimp.gif

care to elaborate? i don't know much about dude.

read up on Renardo Sidney and its pretty much the same with Tyler.

Roscoe's� block from :45 - :52
sick.gif

he's #7, Starks #9 and Selby #3 on the black team

eek.gif
So much talent and athleticism out there. The consensus so far is that 2010 is best class since 2007, right?

Originally Posted by D723

Allen3xis, yall boys ready for us this year?
pimp.gif
yes
pimp.gif
/...payback....or i hope so
laugh.gif
. should be a good one.

Markel took MVP in that game
pimp.gif
. it was the DMV vs Philly battle

The consensus so far is that 2010 is best class since 2007, right?
Yeah, definitely. And 2011 is looking real nice as well.

Starks is looking nice, y'all picked up a good one there.

#4 from D.C. was getting baked out there
eek.gif
laugh.gif
smh.gif

Roscoe's 2nd block was nicer than the 1st one

Yeah, definitely. And 2011 is looking real nice as well.

How do you think 2010 stacks up to 2006 right now? That class was ridiculous. It looks like 2010 could be on that level early with the depth that we'reseeing. It almost seems as if new guys from this class are coming out of no where too. It seems like there is a lot more backcourt talent in opposition toseeing all of the front court talent between the the 3,4, and 5 positions in 2006.

ACC:
1. UNC
2. Wake
3. Dook
4. Miami
5. MD

If Wake's freshman gel with the team, they could be SCARY.

CHANGING TIDE

Alabama coach Mark Gottfried is in a good mood these days and who can really blame him?

Two years ago, his star point guard, Ron Steele, first informed him of the knee problems that basically ruined his entire season. Then a year ago in thepreseason, Steele told his coach that he wanted to sit out the year in hopes of giving his surgically repaired knee more time to fully heal.

Now Steele is back and is a fifth-year senior. Richard Hendrix may be gone, but the Crimson Tide still have a nucleus that includes senior wing Alonzo Gee(14.5 ppg, 6.8 rpg) and returning starting forward Demetrius Jemison (5.6 ppg, 5.3 rpg).

Gottfried loved Hendrix, but admitted that the somewhat-plodding big man slowed the team down.

``He was our best player, but getting up and down the floor over and over was not his strength," Gottfried said. "We had to wait for him on one end -and we should wait."

Eventually, maybe not to begin the season, freshman JaMychal Green will end up starting in the middle. For the beginning of the season, if Green doesn'tearn the spot, it'll be skilled 6-foot-9 sophomore Justin Knox.

Whatever the case, Gottfried will have a three-man inside rotation of Green, Jemison and Knox splitting up 80 minutes.

Gee will play on one wing and look for ultra-athletic sophomore Senario Hillman to be on the other wing.

``Senario is so athletic it's ridiculous," Gottfried said. "He's a 6-foot-1 Gerald Wallace, a human highlight film."

``We're a lot more athletic," he added. ``We need to score in the 80s."

Gottfried said he doesn't expect Steele to be back to true form until somewhere around mid-December.

"To me, Steele looks exceptionally well," Gottfried said. "But the popcorn hasn't started popping yet and the lights haven't come on. Heneeds to get back in the saddle and ride for a while and I don't think you can do that until you actually play some games."

At-large hopefuls angle for a bid

Tuesday, October 14, 2008 | PrintEntry

Posted by Andy Katz
The pool of teams that could find their way in as at-large teams is larger than what I provided Monday. The top 25, plus the 12 up for discussion, was only aportion. Plenty of others have a legitimate shot to make a run toward a bid as practice begins Friday. Here are some of them (I'm sure I'll miss othersas new teams emerge). I'm going alphabetically by conference here:
ncb_g_rice1_sw_200.jpg

Elsa/Getty Images

Tyrese Rice will provide the scoring
punch for BC this season.
ACC
In offseason discussions the only team that comes up that probably has no shot to make the NCAAs is Virginia. Everyone else is pretty confident thenthey'll be in the mix. They won't be. But that isn't stopping the optimism. Boston College: The Eagles firmly believe that iftheir freshmen play up to their potential, notably Reggie Jackson, that they have alegit shot with Tyrese Rice to finish in the 4-7 range and put them in position for abid. Clemson: The Tigers lost key players in Cliff Hammonds and James Mays but there is enough in place with K.C. Rivers and Terrence Oglesby in the backcourt to make a run. Florida State: TheSeminoles' staff and guard Toney Douglas are adamant that Florida State has ashot to make the NCAAs. Their banner recruiting class gives them hope. Georgia Tech: The consensus was the Yellow Jackets were missing a pointguard and they got one in Iman Shumpert. If he's as good as projected then theYellow Jackets should be bubble bound. Maryland: Gary Williams isn't considering not making the NCAAs. With the return of Greivis Vasquez and Eric Hayes I've heard nothing from Williams other than this team will be better and onthe verge of a bid. NC State: The Wolfpack lost J.J. Hickson, but may have gained more cohesion back with Ben McCauley and Brandon Costner. The Wolfpack believe that point guard Farnold Degand being healthy will be the difference. Virginia Tech: Youcould argue I should have had the Hokies in the top 25 or the 12 beyond. That's a fair point. Virginia Tech lost one player of note in Deron Washington.The rest of the crew returns that nearly took out UNC in the ACC tourney.
Atlantic 10
The league is usually good for three or four contenders for bids. So, to put just Xavier down isn't probable. The problem is who to choose next?
Charlotte
: The 49ers return four starters. Bobby Lutz doesn't stay down too long. The NIT appearance last season was a turn toward a run to theNCAAs.
Temple
: The Owls bring back scorer Dionte Christmas after the surprising runto the A-10 tournament title.
UMass: I wouldn't dismiss UMass with the return of Chris Loweand Ricky Harris and a plethora of role players inside. They should thrive in DerekKellogg's system. Big 12
You can dismiss Iowa State, Colorado and likely Texas Tech and Nebraska from being in the NCAA discussion come March. Kansas State coach Frank Martin firmlybelieves the Wildcats will be in play, but it's hard to make that argument with Michael Beasley and Bill Walker gone. Missouri: The Tigershave DeMarre Carroll and Leo Lyons to run Mike Anderson's system and Anderson says he has his incoming players onboard who are committed to his style.
Oklahoma State: New coach Travis Ford walked into a good situation with a solid nucleus back including double-figure scorers James Anderson, ByronEaton and Terrel Harris. Size will be an issue here but Ford has done well withperimeter-based teams.
Big East
St. John's, South Florida, Rutgers, DePaul are probably out of the discussion for the NCAA. Seton Hall would likely be added to that list if the Piratescan't get a number of players eligible Cincinnati: The Bearcats get a healthy Mike Williams and already have one of the top scoring guards in Deonta Vaughn. And this club doesn't wilt under pressure. Providence:Keno Davis has a chance to make the NCAAs with point guard Sharaud Curry returningand scoring guards Weyinmi Efejuku, Jeff Xavier and forward Geoff McDermott. West Virginia: I probably took more flak for leaving theMountaineers out of the top 37 than any other team. The Mountaineers usually don't get their due until mid-season when they've surprised everyone yetagain. Bob Huggins usually has his teams in the mix by March. Losing Joe Alexander is a tough blow but the addition of Devin Ebanks gives them plenty of scoring pop to go with Joe Mazzulla, AlexRuoff and Da'Sean Butler. Big Ten
Once again it is a lean year in the Big Ten for locks. But there are a handful of bubble teams that should be in the mix come March. Illinois:The Illini don't have a star, but they've got enough solid role players and the passion of Bruce Weber to make a run toward a bubble berth.
ncb_g_vaden1_sw_200.jpg

Joe Murphy/Getty Images

Robert Vaden spurned the NBA to
return to UAB and try and compete
for a tourney spot.

Minnesota: The Gophers will continue to be a solid defensive team under Tubby Smith. I fully expect Smith to have Minnesota in play late inFebruary. He's too good.
Ohio State: For the third straight season the Buckeyes have a big-time freshman center. B.J. Mullens will join a solid cast that was denied a bid late in the season. Ohio Stateprobably will make it in the end. Conference USA
Memphis dominated this league last season but the Tigers can't expect to run the table again. Memphis lost too much and the rest of the league has improvedgreatly. Tulsa: The CBI champs return one of the more unheralded big men in Jerome Jordan. BenUzoh is a nice compliment on the perimeter. Doug Wojcik has this program back where it belongs -- on the verge of NCAA bids. UAB: TheBlazers have one of the top scorers in the country in Robert Vaden and added back apoint guard in Paul Delaney III who should set him up quite nicely. UAB was close toa bid last season. The Blazers should get in this year. UTEP: Tony Barbee is quick to remind me that the Miners should be a quality team and atough out this season. There's no reason to dismiss his optimism. The Miners return one of the better scoring guards in senior Stefon Jackson. Missouri Valley
The Valley had the story last season in Drake. But unfortunately there wasn't enough else to stand out and the Valley got only one team in the field. Thatcould be the case again, although, there are plenty of teams that can make it to mid-March. Creighton: The Bluejays have an experienced crewagain and led by Josh Dotzler and P'Allen Stinnett should be the team to beat in the league. Dana Altman always seems tosniff close to the NCAAs and this shouldn't be any different. Southern Illinois: The Salukis slipped a bit last year but SIU is poised toclimb back to be one of the top teams in the league yet again. SIU has experience, defense, and an impact newcomer in freshman forward Anthony Booker. Illinois State: The Redbirds had a legit gripe about notgetting a bid last season. You can argue the schedule, as I did, but the team didn't help itself by getting blown out by Drake in the Valley tourney final.Still, enough returns for Tim Jankovich, led by Osiris Eldridge for the Redbirds tobe in the mix yet again. MWC
The Mountain West has two locks in UNLV and BYU being in the chase for the title and bids. But there are others who could disrupt that by March. SanDiego State: The Aztecs returns the starting five intact and won 20 games a year ago with this crew. San Diego State has a MWC stud in Lorrenzo Wade. Utah: The Utes have one of their best schedules in years anda frontcourt that should be hard to match in the league with Luke Nevill and Kim Tillie.
Pac-10
The easy thing to do is tear down the Pac-10 as heading for a down year. Oregon is reshuffling, Oregon State is starting anew, Cal lost Ryan Anderson and has anew staff and Stanford will go without the Lopez twins, Brook and Robin, and forge ahead with a new coach, too. But to dismiss the Washington schools would bea mistake.

Washington: The Huskies are the sleeper pick in the league to grab a bid and finish possibly as high as third. Jon Brockman is back and ready to make a run at player of the year in the conference.Quincy Pondexter should have a breakout season and the point is being turned over toa hyped newcomer Isaiah Thomas (not a bad name to have at that position).

Washington State: Tony Bennett isn't folding up because Derrick Low, Kyle Weaver and Robbie Cowgill are gone. The core of Taylor Rochestie at the point and Daven Harmeling and Aron Baynes inside give the Cougars the nucleus to go along with star newcomer Klay Thompson. WSU is here to stay as a potential NCAA team underBennett.
SEC
The SEC continues to be one of the most consistent conferences for bids in the country. You can almost always lock in five or six teams to the NCAAs. Thiswon't be any different.
Ole Miss: The Rebels lost the inside game but bring back one of the top point guards in the South in Chris Warren. If the Rebels can get someone inside to score and defend then they'll havea shot.
Vanderbilt: The Commodores lost Shan Foster but bring back A.J. Ogilvy inside and still have a scoring option on the perimeter in Jermaine Beal. You're foolish if you think Kevin Stallings' teams are ever out of theNCAA discussion.
ncb_a_ogilvy1_sw_200.jpg

AP Photo/John Raoux

Shan Foster's departure means
Vandy will rely more heavily on
Aussie big man A.J. Ogilvy .

WAC
The league may not be a deep from top to bottom but has at least one candidate for at-large.

Nevada: The Wolf Pack brought in one of the top recruits in the country in Luke Babbitt and returns a solid guard in Brandon Fields. Give this team time and Nevada could be in the mix for a bid in March.Nevada's nonconference schedule should be rated high, especially with a home game against North Carolina on the schedule.

WCC
The league put in three of its eight teams a year ago for one of the better percentages in the country. Don't be shocked if it happens again.

San Diego: The Toreros got hot in the WCC title and beat Gonzaga for the championship at home. It wasn't a fluke after they took outConnecticut in the first round. Everyone of note returns.

Atlantic 10
The league is usually good for three or four contenders for bids. So, to put just Xavier down isn't probable. The problem is who to choose next?
Charlotte
: The 49ers return four starters. Bobby Lutz doesn't stay down too long. The NIT appearance last season was a turn toward a run to the NCAAs.
Temple
: The Owls bring back scorer Dionte Christmas after the surprising run to the A-10 tournament title.
UMass: I wouldn't dismiss UMass with the return of Chris Lowe and Ricky Harris and a plethora of role players inside. They should thrive in Derek Kellogg's system.

No love for the Colonials?
laugh.gif
.... I am losing faith inHobbs. Had a spark when he started now they're just garbage.

from nbadraft.net:

Big East Conference: Top NBA Prospects
Submitted by Michael_DeStefano on Tue, 10/14/2008 - 12:23pm.

By Michael DeStefano

The Big East is the best conference in college basketball. Some may disagree, but there's no arguing the fact that they send seven or eight teams to theNCAA Tournament every year. They haven't won a National Title since back-to-back championships in '03 and'04 with Syracuse and UCONN, but a BigEast team always seems to play deep into March. While the ACC has the top ranked team, the Big East has 4 potential Top 10 teams in Connecticut, Pittsburgh,Louisville, and Notre Dame. But in terms of individual talent, don't expect many names from this conference being called with the early picks in either ofthe next two drafts. The Big East has a lot of good college players, but not many whose games will translate to the next level. Look at Luke Harangody. He ledthe league in scoring, finished second in rebounding, and was a 1st Team All-Big East selection, yet his name will not be found in any mock drafts. Here arethe guys whose names you will find:

Top 5 Prospects:

Hasheem Thabeet

Hasheem Thabeet (UConn) - You can't teach 7'3. Though still raw, no player in this conference has as much potential as the big man from Connecticut.His height and athleticism are clear positives, but the most impressive thing about his body is his frame. Where most college centers need to add muscle tofill out their thin upper bodies, Thabeet has the look of a true center. At 260 pounds, he can get stronger, but it's not a huge concern for scouts.Physical gifts aside, he is a world-class shot-blocker (4.5 per game) and a decent rebounder (8 per game), and these numbers will go up as his feel for thegame improves. He shoots a high percentage from the field, and though most buckets come within three feet of the basket, his decent free throw shootingsuggests that he can develop into a mid-range scoring threat. There are clearly shortcomings to his game (poor hands, lack of post moves, weak man-to-mandefense), but it's important to remember that he hasn't been playing basketball for a long time. His upside is considerable, and his decision to returnto school and pass up millions as a first round pick last year shows that he wants to get better. According to contacts close to the team, UConn coaches areabsolutely beaming about Thabeet's tremendous summer and potential, saying he's got a real shot to be a top 3 pick in '09. The extra year under JimCalhoun will do wonders for him at the next level.

Earl Clark (Louisville) - Clark is the type of versatile small forward that makes NBA scouts drool. He's drawn comparisons to Danny Granger due to hisversatility and fluid shooting stroke (he does need to improve his range). He's also got very good ball-handling and passing skills for a small forward.He's unselfish and makes his teammates better, a rare skill in players Clark's size. Another player who would have been a first-rounder last year,Clark's return will secure him a spot in the latter half of the lottery. He needs to add range to his jump shot to become a truly lethal player.

Dajuan Summers (Georgetown) - With the loss of Hibbert and Wallace, Summers needs to become the leader of this team with rising sophomores Chris Wright andAustin Freeman as well as high profile freshman Greg Monroe. Georgetown has the reputation of playing through the post, but Summers should be the #1 option onoffense due to his ability to shoot the ball from the perimeter. He'll be one of the more feared shooters in the Big East this year, but his body andball-handling skills will enable him to get to the basket and finish as well. By no means just a scorer, Summers knows how to get others involved and playsdefense like we've come to expect from Georgetown players. The G'town system makes it tougher to stand out, so that will make it a challenge forSummers to prove that he's ready to be a first rounder, but the talent is obviously there. While he lacks the lottery potential of Thabeet and Clark,he's the next best prospect in this conference and should be a solid contributor in the NBA for a team drafting late in the first round.

Sam Young (Pittsburgh) - Levance Fields is the heart and soul, but Young is Pittsburgh's most important player. He led the team in scoring at over 18 pergame last year while adding six rebounds, a block, and a steal. At 6'6, he doesn't have the ideal height for an NBA small forward, but he makes up forit with his huge wingspan, strength and determination. He uses his physicality to play bigger than he is, but his perimeter skills need work. Last year, heaveraged twice as many turnovers as assists, which is not good for someone who will have to handle the ball on the perimeter in the NBA. He plays more like apower forward than a small forward, and at 23 years old, scouts might have reservations about his ability to move to the outside full-time. Nevertheless,he's an explosive athlete, good shooter and a hard worker, so there is enough there for someone in need of a talented wing to take a chance on him at theend of the first round.

AJ Price (Connecticut) - Jonny Flynn's athleticism and explosiveness got him consideration here, but Price is simply a better player, provided he makes afull recovery from his latest (knee injury) setback. He was considered one of the best high school guards in the country in '03 for a reason, but aftermissing two full years, people had forgotten about him. That is not a problem anymore after a season in which Price averaged 15 points and 6 assists per gameto earn 1st Team All-Big East honors. While he knows how to run a team (2nd in the league in assists), scoring is where he is at his best. He's strong,quick, and crafty, and his jump shot is good enough to command respect. He needs to improve his range but could be a quality pick in the late 20s for a team insearch of a point guard.

Others receiving consideration: Jonny Flynn (Syracuse), Austin Freeman (Georgetown), Greg Monroe (Georgetown), Chris Wright (Georgetown), Samardo Samuels (UL),Deonta Vaughn (Cinncinatti), Dejuan Blair (Pitt)

Top Newcomer: Devin Ebanks (West Virginia) - In the Big East, it's all about size. Look at Louisville prized recruit Samardo Samuels and Georgetownfreshman Greg Monroe. These McDonald's All-Americans draw the most attention, but it's West Virginia stud frosh Devin Ebanks that is the best NBAprospect of them all. A 6'8 small forward with a smooth jump shot and good handle, Ebanks will be a focal point of the Mountaineers' offense from thevery beginning. He'll have Da'Sean Butler and Alex Ruoff to help him get his feet wet, but it's only a matter of time before this becomes his team.Though not as athletic as other small forwards in his class (Derozan, Hopson), he'll put up serious numbers at West Virginia. Samuels and Monroe shouldrelish the attention now, because by the end of the year, Ebanks will be the main attraction when it comes to freshmen in the Big East. A great season couldresult in one-and-done, but he'd be better served sticking around for another year and becoming a top ten pick in 2010.

Back
Top Bottom