The College Basketball Post

Tobacco Road has a monopoly on media enhanced prospects the past few years. I give him a better shot than Barnes and Rivers, though.

Now Jabari is media enhanced??? Oh Ok
laugh.gif
mean.gif
69960100.jpg

Lets just say they took it too far with this one....and Andrew Wiggins being alive didn't help either.  

Last edited:
That's sports illustrated. They did the same **** with Bron when he was in H.S. I'm not saying that Bari is going to turn into Bron but 97% of media headlines are for shock to gain your interest. That has no baring on him not being #HIM

Nolan said that like Bari was overrated. He's been killing since he was a frosh,

This is no shot at Wiggins but how does the emergence of one player make Bari media enhanced? Has Bari not been putting in his work and earning his name/ranking since he stepped on the scene?

Who has killed him? Who has one upped him?

I don't see a dominant player that everything else suggests. He's a nice story from himself to Simeon to the Mormon angle and his dad always giving quotes - so it's only natural for there be an extra push, not his fault.

Very good player tho.

Bob Gibbons:

"With all the hype, it was unfair. I expected him to play like Wiggins. But he didn't. He doesn't dominate. He lacks consistency. He has skills but he isn't a super athlete. He is a very capable guy. But can he live up to all the hype? That is a burden he has to carry on his shoulders, being the best player in the nation. He has an excellent knowledge of the game. He has his moments but he doesn't perform on a consistent basis."

that's kind of my way of thinking so far, but I need to see more if he's the next Paul Pierce or Grant Hill or Carmelo Anthony or whoever.

Last edited:
That's sports illustrated. They did the same **** with Bron when he was in H.S. I'm not saying that Bari is going to turn into Bron but 97% of media headlines are for shock to gain your interest. That has no baring on him not being #HIM

Nolan said that like Bari was overrated. He's been killing since he was a frosh,

This is no shot at Wiggins but how does the emergence of one player make Bari media enhanced? Has Bari not been putting in his work and earning his name/ranking since he stepped on the scene?

Allen called him hyped by media......You said hes not hyped.....I showed you the biggest hyperbole by one of the biggest sports media outlets and you reply like this?

C'mon fam.  Nobody said he ain't nice.  But Yes he has benefited from some media OVERhype.  That SI cover is proof.  Nothing really to argue.  When they call you the best HS player since Bron and he's not even #1 or #2 on Rivals.....then yeah thats a lil bit too far. 

Last edited:
Jabari is nice with it man, watched him played at the u18 with a broken foot and only Mario Henozja and Jalil Okafor played better I have no doubts about his ability to be successful in college, plus he can really really shoot it which always puts less doubt in my mind the only thing im concerned with is his NBA ceiling, IMO he's and average athlete and how many average athletes become super stars?

Paul Peirce seems like a reasonable comparison, but Grant Hill? nah.

Last edited:
I don't see a dominant player that everything else suggests. He's a nice story from himself to Simeon to the Mormon angle and his dad always giving quotes - so it's only natural for there be an extra push, not his fault.

Very good player tho.

So he wasn't dominating/killing the circuit before he broke his foot? He wasn't the best player on that USA under 17 squad on an injured ankle? He didn't kill the King James Classic? He was considered to be the best player in all of HS as a junior now we're in full blown Wiggins mode and Bari goes from a special player praised for having an all around skill set to just a very good player that's :smh:

Your opinion is your opinion and I'm not trying to change it, but its just funny to hear this now. Had he committed to MSU the only thing I would be reading is how they beat out Duke on a truely Elite/Special player.

I'm Not Even Mad Though :lol:

Allen called him hyped by media......You said hes not hyped.....I showed you the biggest hyperbole by one of the biggest sports media outlets and you reply like this?

C'mon fam.  Nobody said he ain't nice.  But Yes he has benefited from some media OVERhype.  That SI cover is proof.  Nothing really to argue.  When they call you the best HS player since Bron and he's not even #1 or #2 on Rivals.....then yeah thats a lil bit too far. 

G he was the #1 player in H.S period as a Junior, was ranked over Bazz & Noel. He broke his foot and missed the entire summer circuit during which Julius Randle got off and Wiggins took over. He didn't have a chance to keep his ranking. He was on crutches for 5months and hadn't played basketball until the game on espn.

He was the gatorade player of the year last year what are you talking about he wasn't ranked #1 or 2 Fam Bye :lol: :smh:

Last edited:

Very good player tho.
So he wasn't dominating/killing the circuit before he broke his foot? He wasn't the best player on that USA under 17 squad on an injured ankle? He didn't kill the King James Classic? He was considered to be the best player in all of HS as a junior now we're in full blown Wiggins mode and Bari goes from a special player praised for having an all around skill set to just a very good player that's
mean.gif

Your opinion is your opinion and I'm not trying to change it, but its just funny to hear this now. Had he committed to MSU the only thing I would be reading is how they beat out Duke on a truely Elite/Special player.

I'm Not Even Mad Though
laugh.gif
He's a beast man.  Top talent no doubt.  Very skilled and I'm a fan.  But it just sucks that Wiggins is better prospect and is in the same class.  Remember how nice OJ was then it was all about Rose and Beasley?  Same thing. 

I said this months ago though. I never thought he was anything beyond very good. I've been making sure I place my opinion before Barnes, Rivers, McGary or now Parker decide for or against Duke to make sure it's not coming across as just Duke hate :lol: (and Duke will be a Top 5 team again next season obviously, at least)

Maybe I'll be wrong on this one. He's better than those guys..but still doesn't have star written on him to me. And SI Cover, NY Times profile, today's SI profile, etc. suggest stardom.

By months ago do you mean spring ball? If not then I'll keep my stance that "Out of sight out of mind" because he hasn't played basketball since the USA under 18.

I'm cool my favorite team got the player I wanted them to get for 2 years now.

I just find it funny how one of the 1st comments in here after his commitment is that he's media enhanced.

Outside of Wiggins is there a better player in the class? I'll take a player who can do everything on the court w/o being an elite athlete.

Carry On.

Last edited:

I just find it funny how one of the 1st comments in here after his commitment is that he's media enhanced.

Carry On.
So you don't think the SI cover enhanced him?  Lebron was worthy of the cover....Telfair wasn't and he was media enhanced doesn't mean he wasn't the best PG in his class. The SI cover is fact that he was media enhanced the title is almost comical "best HS player since LeBron"....really?
"

I dont think its fair to knock him for losing ranking for injury. I have seen some games of him and his game does remind me of paul pierce/pippen minus the defense but hey i wouldnt mind having a paul pierce type of guy...who knows if its overhype..we just gotta let it play out....but hes unselfish which is the type of guy Duke always like...we wont see him throwing it up like Rivers....Besides Kyrie we havent had many all star talents recently...this could be a trend to start it off...rivers was hyped but lets be honest now...none of saw him as an all star calibur player...i just know next year Duke will be stacked...If we were to win it this year then Duke can go on a nice roll with next year and the possible incoming recruits after that...lets just hope Coach K doesnt plan to leave any time soon

Carry On.

So you don't think the SI cover enhanced him?  Lebron was worthy of the cover....Telfair wasn't and he was media enhanced doesn't mean he wasn't the best PG in his class. The SI cover is fact that he was media enhanced the title is almost comical "best HS player since LeBron"....really?

"

He was #HIM in H.S Basketball & on the circuit before that was even written. Back when Nolan was in love with Sam Thompson when he was on the Circuit, praising his game and him taking over, Bari was doing his Whitney Young team DIRTY!!!

If y'all let that article title skew y'all expectations for him then that's y'all. I've been watching him play since he was a frosh at Simeon, in fact the first time I saw him I came right to this thread and posted about him. Saw him destroy Branden Dawson's team in person (same day I watch Sam Thompson & Whitney Put Ant Davis HS squad IN THE 40 CLUB). So I've followed his game and never needed others accounts to tell me his game. In fact my first comparison for him in college was Paul Pierce at Kansas.

I didn't even read/nor see that **** until I came in this thread shortly after it released. Everyone wants to be the first to report on the next best thing. Slam had OJ in there touted as the next great as an 8th grader.

Bassy's media hype was fueled by the NYC hype machine, just like Lance even though I think he's crazy talented and is starting to put it together.

The Chitown in you won't let you admit it....

Not sure why you keep listing stats and accomplishments like that has anything to do with this.  He all agree he's nice and a top player.  Just not "head and shoulders above" "next LeBron" elite.  Only a couple players have got that type of hype from the media (SI and ESPN).  Bron (who was worthy), Bassy (who wasn't), and now Bari.

You gotta step out your shoes and look from the other peoples perspective that don't live in the Chi man.  Is Jabari Parker a player based on basketball talent alone worthy of the media hype he's received thus far?  The answer is no.  He's not more "special" than other top players that have came.  He's just a really good kid with basketball blood and great skills. 

Cake repping 'Bari like he Mitt Romney and **** calm down g....He's top 3 in the class and will be a damned good college player, but he ain't a D.Rose/a. davis/Bron type which is what we are just saying.

Parker isn't going to have a MAJOR impact next season like the media hypes him
up. Jay Williams compared him to Paul Pierce earlier..I had the biggest stoneface.

Duke still gonna be nasty though.
Syracuse vs Duke gonna become the new greatest rivalary :pimp:

Last edited:
Parker isn't going to have a MAJOR impact next season like the media hypes him
up. Jay Williams compared him to Paul Pierce earlier..I had the biggest stoneface.
Duke still gonna be nasty though.
Syracuse vs Duke gonna become the new greatest rivalary :pimp:
Shutup.

And I haven't seen much on 'Bari but I'ma take my dude Cake's word on this matter. On the real though, even with 'Bari I still think we need another big man. Who the @#$% is gonna rebound for us and give us a lil' something on the offensive end down low?

Shutup.
And I haven't seen much on 'Bari but I'ma take my dude Cake's word on this matter. On the real though, even with 'Bari I still think we need another big man. Who the @#$% is gonna rebound for us and give us a lil' something on the offensive end down low?

Marshall Plumlee, duh

As a head coach, you plan for both your opponents' best actions and their best players. Personally, I always felt it was easier to defend against a system than it was to defend against a player who has an elite ability to create plays either for himself or for his teammates. Tricky plays are tough to defend against; tricky players can be impossible to stop.

Good players earn the respect of opposing coaches, but the players your defense must contain for your team to win are the ones who keep head coaches up at night, which is why I call them "matchup nightmares."

Here is my ranking of the 10 toughest players in the nation to defend against, and a game plan for each that opponents should try to enact to slow them down.

97.gif

[h3]1. Russ Smith, G, Louisville Cardinals[/h3]
Smith might be the best one-on-one player in college basketball. A high-volume shooter who changes speed and direction, Smith can get a shot off any time he wants. Cardinals coach Rick Pitino allows him to probe the defense and gives him the green light to attack the basket and create plays on his own. Smith can play off Peyton Siva's penetration or take the reins as the team's primary ball handler. He explodes off screens and can finish with an array of different layups.

On defense, he is relentless both off the ball and as an aggressive, on-ball defender in the Louisville press. Smith averages three steals per game, which often are live-ball turnovers that lead to transition layups.

Game plan: You need to defend Smith with a bigger defender, if possible. Keep him in front and stay down on his change-of-direction, change-of-pace game. Defenders need to use size to their advantage and close with their hands above the ball. Use help defenders to shrink the court so he doesn't have gaps through which to drive. Defenders must go over all side ball screens, and on flat and shake ball screens, the help defender must stay with the ball and make Smith a passer. With Smith, as is the case with all the players on this list, all five defenders need to be alert when he has the ball. One player may have the primary responsibility, but everyone else has a secondary responsibility. It needs to be five versus one.

130.gif

[h3]2. Trey Burke, G, Michigan Wolverines[/h3]
Burke sets the tone and pace for the Michigan offense and defense. He brings the ball in transition at warp speed, and his ability to stop on a dime and change speed and direction makes him tough to keep out of the lane. Burke not only explodes off ball screens, but he also does a terrific job of reading the hedge defender. He can reject the ball screen and attack the big when the defense "downs" the ball screen, as well as split the defense when the help defender leaves space on the hard hedge.

Burke shoots the ball with range and has a nice midrange game. The fact that he plays on a team with Tim Hardaway Jr., Nik Stauskas and Glenn Robinson III makes it hard for opponents to give early help. He's also a great decision-maker, as evidenced by his nearly 3-1 assist-to-turnover ratio.

Game plan: You must contain Burke in transition with the trail defender. In the two-guard set, down him on all shake and side ball screens (meaning you should force him away from the screen and toward the baseline). Make it hard for him to get the ball back after he gives it up, especially in short-clock situations.

156.gif

[h3]3. Doug McDermott, F, Creighton Bluejays[/h3]
McDermott is the focal point for the Bluejays' offense on every possession. He moves without the ball and uses screens better than any player in college basketball. He is as comfortable posting up on and off the block as he is facing up and knocking down the 3. Also, he uses the shot fake to set up his driving game and does not chase shots, and he has a knack for drawing fouls and gets to the free throw line six times per game. He is an efficient offensive player who averages 22.7 points on slightly more than 13 shots per game, while shooting more than 50 percent from both 2- and 3-point range.

Game plan: I would defend McDermott with a smaller defender -- say, an athletic 6-foot-5 wing defender with good discipline -- who can get underneath him and is also quick enough to stay with him and fight through screens. A smaller, quicker defender should be able to pressure him and get some strips. You need to stay down on all his shot fakes. When he tries to post up, you need to front him, and push up and stay attached on all ball screens. Plus, be sure to box him out on the shot, especially his own, as he is good at rebounding his own (rare) misses.

356.gif

[h3]4. Brandon Paul, G, Illinois Fighting Illini[/h3]
Paul is a stat-sheet stuffer: He rebounds, makes scoring plays for teammates, is an alert defender and can flat-out score the ball. He has unlimited range, which puts tremendous pressure on the defense. At 6-4, he is a great ball-screen player, but he also has a middle game and is strong enough to play through contact.

Off the ball, Paul is impossible to close out against, as he can shoot it with range as well as drive. Paul understands the game and is playing with incredible confidence this season.

Game plan: Run the floor with him in transition, and "red" (deny) him off the ball. Make it hard for Paul to catch the ball in the scoring area and do not allow him to get the ball back in short-clock situations. "Blitz" (trap) off all ball screens; you cannot go under, and the blitz defender must stay with the trap.

2439.gif

[h3]5. Anthony Bennett, F, UNLV Rebels[/h3]
Even though he's only a freshman, Bennett impacts the game in so many ways. At 6-8, 240 pounds, he is powerful, physical and agile. He rebounds the ball on both ends, can face up and knock down the 3, can rip and beat you off the bounce and take you down to the block and score with his back to the basket. He plays as hard as any freshman in the country. An active and alert defender, he averages almost two blocks per game.

Game plan: Meet Bennett early in transition and chest him off the lane. Double on the bounce on all low-post catches, and on the perimeter catch, stay down and keep in front. Use help defenders to shrink the court and be ready to scrape (help the post defender when Bennett gets the ball). Be physical in blocking him out by meeting him early and making the first hit.

183.gif

[h3]6. Michael Carter-Williams, G, Syracuse Orange[/h3]
At 6-6, Carter-Williams is a mixture of Penny Hardaway and Magic Johnson. He has the size to see over the defense, plays with pace, makes great decisions in transition and can finish at the rim. It is not uncommon for him to rebound the ball and immediately initiate the Syracuse transition game.

What makes Carter-Williams so tough to defend is that you cannot speed him up. He plays with his head up, sees plays early and delivers the ball on time and on target. There's a reason he leads the country in assists per game (10.7 apg). An excellent ball-screen player, Carter-Williams has the explosiveness to turn the corner or reject the screen. In short, he puts constant pressure on the defense.

On the defensive end, Carter-Williams has great anticipation and the length to disrupt opposing offenses in Jim Boeheim's 2-3 zone. He averages 3.4 steals per game and may end up leading the nation in deflections. He is a triple-double waiting to happen.

Game plan: I would guard Carter-Williams with a bigger player and play him soft. Jam the outlet and make his first dribble have to be toward the sideline, not the basket. In the half court, push up on all ball screens and go under, making him a jump shooter. Also, defenders must close short with high hands on all reversals. Help defenders need to watch the ball at all times and be active in gaps, but must also stay home.

93.gif

[h3]7. Isaiah Canaan, G, Murray State Racers[/h3]
Canaan is as tough a guard as there is in the country. He is physically strong and explosive getting to the basket. Half of his shots come from behind the 3-point line, where he shoots 43.7 percent, but he also is excellent off ball screens and tough to keep out of the lane. He gets to the line five times per game, and is a rare player in that he has the ability to both get to the rim and shoot a 15-foot pull-up jumper. Canaan is a winner who elevates his team's play with his energy and competitive spirit.

Game plan: Defending Canaan can't be one player's responsibility; it has to be done collectively. You need to build a wall against him in transition, and all help defenders need to be alert. On ball screens, trap and go over. When he gives up the ball, make it hard for him to get it back. When your team is on offense, make Canaan defend every possession, running him off screens when you can. Controlling the tempo of the game will also help contain him, as it will limit his touches.

194.gif

[h3]8. Deshaun Thomas, F, Ohio State Buckeyes[/h3]
Thomas is a power forward in a small forward's body (6-7, 225) -- or a small forward with the strength of a power forward, depending on how you choose to look at him. Either way, he puts a great deal of pressure on opposing defenses. Thad Matta does a great job of moving him around, adjusting on the fly based on the defensive matchup.

Thomas and Aaron Craft are extremely effective in the two-man game, as Thomas does a great job of creating separation on the pop. Thomas is the Buckeyes' best low-post scorer, but he also connects on 41 percent of his 3-point attempts. He can face you up and put it on the floor or shoot a 15-foot jumper, and his shot fake is one of the best in the Big Ten. He's an active offensive rebounder, so you must cut him out off the glass.

Game plan: You need to defend Thomas with a player capable of chasing him off screens and who can play him on the perimeter, because he spends more time there than he does posting up. Defenders must push up on all ball screens and stay attached. Further, you must take away all pick-and-pops, chase off all staggers, help off the passer and pinch the curl. When he posts up, double him and be physical in blocking out.

21.gif

[h3]9. Jamaal Franklin, G, San Diego State Aztecs[/h3]
Franklin, always in attack mode, is one of the most active players in college basketball. At 6-5, he is a relentless runner and offensive rebounder, and he looks to score every time he touches the ball. He has the ability to get to the rim and goes to the line eight times a game. Franklin likes to use a rhythm dribble to step into his jumper. This season, he is making better decisions playing out of double-teams, playing with great confidence and is seeing plays earlier, which is reflected in his improved assist numbers (3.1 per game versus 1.5 last season). An active off-ball defender, he likes to use his quickness to run through passing lanes. Plus, he averages 1.7 steals per game.

Game plan: The most effective defender for Franklin is someone who is a little bigger, can play off him and still contest the shot, and also keep him off the glass. He's not a great jump-shooter, so you want to make him shoot. You also need to run the floor with him. Push him left on all scoring-area catches, and on high-post catches, get to help spots and take away driving lanes. When he does drive, you need to stay down, stay between the ball and basket and wall off shooting lanes with high hands.

152.gif

[h3]10. C.J. Leslie, F, North Carolina State Wolfpack[/h3]
Leslie is one of the most explosive athletes in college basketball. He is too quick for big forwards and too strong for small forwards. He runs the floor well and is explosive in the basket area. He is as comfortable knocking down a 17-foot jumper as he is driving the ball from the high post. Plus, he is skilled enough to grab a defensive rebound and initiate the fast break. Tough to keep off the glass, Leslie's second jump is the best in college basketball. Also, his quickness makes him an excellent off-ball defender and shot-blocker. When engaged, he can take over a game.

Game plan: You need to be physical with Leslie on all post-ups and get him off the block. Drive him back if he tries to roll out for the lob, scrape on all low-post catches and double on the bounce. Make him run the floor and put him in ball screens to wear him down.

Back
Top Bottom