The GOAT: "I would not have called Larry and Magic and say let’s play together"

Originally Posted by DMV is RNB

And nyc buk on what planet is Lebron a better shooter and defender than Dwayne Wade?? I ain't been around much lately but I see now that T-Mac is irrelevant, Lebron has taken his place in your life as your new number 1?
laugh.gif

laugh.gif
buk was prepping bron while still clinging to hope that tmac would make a miracle comeback. son deaded the hope and hopped on the bron train full steam ahead 
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by DMV is RNB

And nyc buk on what planet is Lebron a better shooter and defender than Dwayne Wade?? I ain't been around much lately but I see now that T-Mac is irrelevant, Lebron has taken his place in your life as your new number 1?
laugh.gif

laugh.gif
buk was prepping bron while still clinging to hope that tmac would make a miracle comeback. son deaded the hope and hopped on the bron train full steam ahead 
laugh.gif

Shooting isn't a strong point for either one of them. But I'd honestly be more afraid of Lebron taking a shot from the outside than Wade at the end of the game.

Shooting isn't a strong point for either one of them. But I'd honestly be more afraid of Lebron taking a shot from the outside than Wade at the end of the game.

Wade is a far better mid range shooter than Bron. Lebron isn't comfortable taking those one, two dribble mid range pull ups like Wade. Lebron is a better three point shooter, though.

Wade is a far better mid range shooter than Bron. Lebron isn't comfortable taking those one, two dribble mid range pull ups like Wade. Lebron is a better three point shooter, though.

Originally Posted by HighRep87

just saw the MJ video.. you guys went right to the quote but he also said it is still to be determine if it was the right choice.
Pretty much. Cuz MJ also said "times are different now though".

Not one person in here expounded on the fact that Wade, Bosh, and Bron are all good friends.

You damn sure couldn't say the same about Jordan, Bird, and Magic back when they were playing. They may have respected each other. But none of them really got close until the Dream Team.

As I said in a previous thread, how many of you would truly pass on the opportunity to play with your best buds together to achieve a goal as opposed to playing against your friends where only ONE of you would get the prize in the end?

Fab 5 anyone? True they didn't win a chip at Michigan. But I bet none of them would trade that experience of playing TOGETHER for an individual national title while the other 4 got nothing.

I don't know. I guess in today's society, where dudes will stick each other's wives or stab their best friend in the back over money, a lot of you guys simply can't see how valuable friendships can be. I'm not saying LBJ did this strictly for the sake of being the greatest friend in the world. But I just don't see anything wrong with teaming w/Wade & Bosh to get a chip. Sorry.

Either way, as OneTrust said, LBJ has changed the L as we know it. Cuz how many AAU players or future draft-mates will plot to play on the same team in the future now?
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by HighRep87

just saw the MJ video.. you guys went right to the quote but he also said it is still to be determine if it was the right choice.
Pretty much. Cuz MJ also said "times are different now though".

Not one person in here expounded on the fact that Wade, Bosh, and Bron are all good friends.

You damn sure couldn't say the same about Jordan, Bird, and Magic back when they were playing. They may have respected each other. But none of them really got close until the Dream Team.

As I said in a previous thread, how many of you would truly pass on the opportunity to play with your best buds together to achieve a goal as opposed to playing against your friends where only ONE of you would get the prize in the end?

Fab 5 anyone? True they didn't win a chip at Michigan. But I bet none of them would trade that experience of playing TOGETHER for an individual national title while the other 4 got nothing.

I don't know. I guess in today's society, where dudes will stick each other's wives or stab their best friend in the back over money, a lot of you guys simply can't see how valuable friendships can be. I'm not saying LBJ did this strictly for the sake of being the greatest friend in the world. But I just don't see anything wrong with teaming w/Wade & Bosh to get a chip. Sorry.

Either way, as OneTrust said, LBJ has changed the L as we know it. Cuz how many AAU players or future draft-mates will plot to play on the same team in the future now?
pimp.gif

Throughout the 80's Magic Johnson, Isiah Thomas, and Mark Aguirre were all very close friends, but they never devised a plan to team together (although Aguirre eventually was traded to the Pistons for Dantley at the '89 trade deadline).  We always hear players refer to the game as a business, and now it's all of a sudden about friendship?  Not too sure how I feel about that...

Throughout the 80's Magic Johnson, Isiah Thomas, and Mark Aguirre were all very close friends, but they never devised a plan to team together (although Aguirre eventually was traded to the Pistons for Dantley at the '89 trade deadline).  We always hear players refer to the game as a business, and now it's all of a sudden about friendship?  Not too sure how I feel about that...

Originally Posted by koolbarbone

Originally Posted by balloonoboy

He isn't the end all be all. Sure, he's the greatest basketball player ever, but what authority does that really give him over the current crop of stars? None.
That is horrible rationale. If he's the greatest basketball player ever, then his opinion should mean a lot more than any current player or journalist out there.
Never said his opinion didn't mean anything.  It does mean something.  Just not to the point where he can tell these dudes how to run their lives and chase their rings.  
laugh.gif

Basketball fans should rejoice because we are about to witness the closest thing we'll get to the showtime Lakers and MJ/Scottie's Bulls.  It's still entertainment and it should be taken as such.

Originally Posted by koolbarbone

Originally Posted by balloonoboy

He isn't the end all be all. Sure, he's the greatest basketball player ever, but what authority does that really give him over the current crop of stars? None.
That is horrible rationale. If he's the greatest basketball player ever, then his opinion should mean a lot more than any current player or journalist out there.
Never said his opinion didn't mean anything.  It does mean something.  Just not to the point where he can tell these dudes how to run their lives and chase their rings.  
laugh.gif

Basketball fans should rejoice because we are about to witness the closest thing we'll get to the showtime Lakers and MJ/Scottie's Bulls.  It's still entertainment and it should be taken as such.

Originally Posted by fo sho playboy

Throughout the 80's Magic Johnson, Isiah Thomas, and Mark Aguirre were all very close friends
Maybe not as close as it seemed. Zeke didn't make that Dream Team with his "close friend" Magic on there. Surely Magic would have had SOME pull to get his "close friend" on the team, no? Magic also had some bombshell allegations against Zeke in later years.

Again, if some of you can't relate to wanting to do something WITH your friend instead of AGAINST your friend, that's cool.

But me personally, I'd rather fight with my boys on my side than against them.

Originally Posted by krazy88s

Thisreminds me of when I was playing on my HS bball and track team. Thecoaches, the fans and what have you told told me run the opposing teamsheels if given the chance or elbow someone for a rebound. I wasbasically being told to hate the other team for no reason, when inreality there was no rivalry between us.

IMO this is what is happening to LBJ, and everyone else in sports.There are absolutely no rivalries in sports. Players don't hate otherplayers. Only the fans want blood. The fans are trying to re-ignitethose fights in 80's and 90's, but those rivalries have been long gonesince then. Those were the days, these are the times.

LeBron has never played DWade or Bosh in the playoffs, like MJ did withBird. So, I don't think he has a reason for not joining with them. Plusthey were all drafted together.

Just my .02
Agreed.

Originally Posted by fo sho playboy

Throughout the 80's Magic Johnson, Isiah Thomas, and Mark Aguirre were all very close friends
Maybe not as close as it seemed. Zeke didn't make that Dream Team with his "close friend" Magic on there. Surely Magic would have had SOME pull to get his "close friend" on the team, no? Magic also had some bombshell allegations against Zeke in later years.

Again, if some of you can't relate to wanting to do something WITH your friend instead of AGAINST your friend, that's cool.

But me personally, I'd rather fight with my boys on my side than against them.

Originally Posted by krazy88s

Thisreminds me of when I was playing on my HS bball and track team. Thecoaches, the fans and what have you told told me run the opposing teamsheels if given the chance or elbow someone for a rebound. I wasbasically being told to hate the other team for no reason, when inreality there was no rivalry between us.

IMO this is what is happening to LBJ, and everyone else in sports.There are absolutely no rivalries in sports. Players don't hate otherplayers. Only the fans want blood. The fans are trying to re-ignitethose fights in 80's and 90's, but those rivalries have been long gonesince then. Those were the days, these are the times.

LeBron has never played DWade or Bosh in the playoffs, like MJ did withBird. So, I don't think he has a reason for not joining with them. Plusthey were all drafted together.

Just my .02
Agreed.

SHUGES wrote:

The Fab 5 became friends after committing to Michigan.  Only CWebb and Jalen were good friends off the court beforehand.  College is also a completely different beast altogether.  5 freshmen weren't going to be expected to defeat the likes of a defending national champion in Duke or a perennial national title contender like Indiana right away.

SHUGES wrote:

The Fab 5 became friends after committing to Michigan.  Only CWebb and Jalen were good friends off the court beforehand.  College is also a completely different beast altogether.  5 freshmen weren't going to be expected to defeat the likes of a defending national champion in Duke or a perennial national title contender like Indiana right away.

Magic and Bird became great friends in the early to mid 80's when they shot a commercial together at Bird's house.  That's from the HBO special a while back.

Mike and Chuck were buds, but they weren't tryna be on each other's teams. 

Bill Laimbeer's fists and half the leagues faces were friends, but nobody wanted to play with him. 
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Magic and Bird became great friends in the early to mid 80's when they shot a commercial together at Bird's house.  That's from the HBO special a while back.

Mike and Chuck were buds, but they weren't tryna be on each other's teams. 

Bill Laimbeer's fists and half the leagues faces were friends, but nobody wanted to play with him. 
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Basketball fans should rejoice because we are about to witness the closest thing we'll get to the showtime Lakers and MJ/Scottie's Bulls
If this is the closest that we'll get to the Showtime Lakers and MJ's Bulls then we're still a great.........great ways away from that champ. 

Basketball fans should rejoice because we are about to witness the closest thing we'll get to the showtime Lakers and MJ/Scottie's Bulls
If this is the closest that we'll get to the Showtime Lakers and MJ's Bulls then we're still a great.........great ways away from that champ. 

They were VERY close in the 80's.  It wasn't until they met up in the Finals in '88 that their friendship strained.  They worked out together every summer.  Magic even had a room in his house called the Isiah room where Zeke would stay whenever in he was in L.A. for a game.  Magic would just leave the keys for him.  And then Isiah's going around the league questioning Magic's sexuality in '92 destroyed the friendship.  Magic considers the fallout between him & Isiah the biggest disappointment of his life.

But back to the original topic, the NBA has been filled with players, even superstars, who have been friends since its inception.  But they didn't let that be their driving force while in the league.  I can even recall the Celtics trading Bird's favorite drinking partner and the Bulls trading Jordan's closest friend on the team, Charles Oakley.  Neither threw a fit or tried to follow their friend.  They understood it was a business.  It just goes to show that somewhere down the line things changed.

Back
Top Bottom