THE OFFICIAL GEORGETOWN BASKETBALL SEASON THREAD

Did you feel that way 2 weeks ago? This team lost their 2nd best player after an 0-2 start and won the Big East. I'm not happy either, but he's not going nowhere and nor should he IMO. This will be a Top 10-15 team again next season, I kind of enjoy that. Granted, nothing matters now until the first weekend of the tournament.

Shaka Smart didn't exactly set the world on fire with a loaded team returning this year, either.

Last edited:
Yes, I actually did. I told people JT3 should thank Whitt for helping him win that COY award. It forced him to go to the bench.

The streak was great, the 2 'Cuse wins were amazing. At the end of the day I honestly looked at it as unsustainable. We went to the well one too many times. Most importantly, I don't gauge success by how many times we beat 'Cuse.

I don't think he should go anywhere either, however, I don't think he should have the same job security that Coach K has. JT3 has shown he's a smart guy, too stubborn for his own good. Nobody can say otherwise.

Maybe I'm too negative and I kept telling myself all year, just wait until March. I commend JT3 for what he has done with the crappy resources and horrible fanbase he has to work with, but at some point we need to re-evaluate and ask ourselves "Were his early success due to those Esherick recruits?" If he can win during OOC play and the BE, then whats the issue with the tourney? Maybe he's just not cut-out for those type of high stakes games.

I'm only negative because I know JT3 and his players are capable of more, not just for the sake of it.

I commend JT3 for what he has done with the crappy resources and horrible fanbase he has to work with, but at some point we need to re-evaluate and ask ourselves "Were his early success due to those Esherick recruits?"

It's not so much the recruiting, it's the stubbornness and lack of any visible gameplan in the Tournament that bothers me the most about JTIII. He is content to let his players run the same garbage year after year because he knows he has that job security.

Brennan's vacancy has been filled by Tavaras Hardy from Northwestern.

anddddddd...he played in the Princeton offense under Bill Carmody and has been coaching with it during his time there as an assistant. Stupid - well, maybe not stupid considering youre going into a league with a lot of mid-western presence - - but Don't get upset when kids stick their noses up at it and you keep hiring these dudes. I'd have let Othella hit the trail, personally.

Last edited:
I didn't even notice Falk. :lol:

From what I saw on HT, seems like Whittington is good to go for next year.

Any word on when Josh Smith will be ready to go?

Thursday, June 6, 2013
Ducks, Hoyas to play at Army base
By Andy Katz
ESPN.com

Oregon and Georgetown have committed to play in The Armed Forces Classic on Nov. 8 at an Army base, with the site being finalized. The game will be televised on ESPN.

The game, which is in the second year of a five-year rotation, has a chance to be just as intriguing as last season's game between UConn and Michigan State at Ramstein Air Base in Germany, won by the upstart Huskies in Kevin Ollie's coaching debut.

The Ducks should be one of the more interesting teams out West with a real chance to be a consistent Top 25 team and a challenger to Arizona and UCLA in the quest to win the Pac-12 regular-season title.

Oregon picked up UNLV transfer Mike Moser, who will be featured inside with the departures of seniors E.J. Singler, Tony Woods and Arsalan Kazemi. The Ducks' guards are some of the best in the West in Damyean Dotson, Dominic Artis and Johnathan Loyd.

Oregon, which finished 28-9 overall, 12-6 in the Pac-12, was under-seeded at No. 12 and knocked off Oklahoma State and then Saint Louis before losing to Louisville in the Sweet 16 in Indianapolis.

Georgetown didn't have a senior on last season's team that finished 25-7 and 14-4 in the Big East. The problem is the Hoyas had the best player in the Big East, who is now one of the top five players in the upcoming NBA draft in Otto Porter. But the Hoyas should still be in the thick of the race in the new Big East, led by Markel Starks, D'Vauntes Smith-Rivera, Nate Lubick and Mikael Hopkins.

The Hoyas were in a scheduled game last November against Florida on a ship off the coast of Jacksonville but could only play a half due to condensation. This game will be indoors and on a base.

The game at Ramstein last season was a highlight for the troops based in Germany. There were countless officers who said how much it meant to have two college basketball teams come to the base. The purpose of these games isn't just to honor the military on Veterans Day weekend but to bring an event to the servicemen and women who normally don't have access to a sporting event or may feel detached from American sporting culture.

Last season's game was hosted by the Air Force, this season it will be hosted by the Army, with the Coast Guard, Marines and Navy on the docket for Years 3-5 of the series.

Last season's Armed Forces Classic was the first regular-season college basketball game played on European soil.

Very excited to see Josh.

agreed. hoping he's in the starting lineup and can last at least 20 minutes on the floor. been waiting a long time to see what he's got. i want to see sweetney college edition, not sweetney NBA edition. no kalbi eating contests in korea.

good to kick off another year and get back in this thread.

like the jerseys…but they should have lost the stripes at the shoulder.

that didn't go so great. but i expect to be much better. the guys that struggled will be better. smith was a surprise in terms of doing that much this early. november loss...not a huge deal.

is bowen hopeless? :lol:

Last edited:
I'll trade in a November loss for getting this version of Josh Smith.

Oregon played well, wouldn't miss a FT either. I just am very leery of the defense, this is a slow team and don't like them playing zone either being so small at guard spots. It's going to be dicey all year I'd think.

makes you realize how much we lost on defense without otto...those long *** arms

Last edited:
to me, this game was more about seeing how josh smith did than anything else. i'm not upset that we lost. i'm not expecting us to dominate this season, but i think we'll continue to get better. we missed almost every single three point attempt we tried and we didn't make our free throws, but i see a lot of positives that came out of this.

first off, josh smith showed an interior presence that i haven't seen since mike sweetney in my freshman year at georgetown. smith was IMPOSSIBLE to defend close to the basket, even with two defenders all over him and it showed in his FG percentage. i was so impressed. even guys like roy hibbert and greg monroe weren't as difficult to defend near the basket as josh is. the exciting thing is that this is just the first game of the season. even though he has an expressionless face, smith comes to play and he's hungry (no pun intended). i can't wait to see what's in store for him the rest of the season. he played good minutes and showed that he can last on the floor without getting too winded. his conditioning will improve over the course of the season so his endurance should get better.

another thing was points in the paint. even though we missed a bunch of threes, we had a considerable amount of scoring in the paint, in stark contrast to hoya squads in recent history. our outside shooting should improve, especially when teams try to put two defenders on smith near the bucket. hopkins wasn't too bad either. i think some of the pressure of him being "the big man" is lifted because of smith.

DSR was thoroughly disappointing in this game, but i'm not worried. he'll get better. he's been shaky since the big east tournament final, but he'll get into form.

finally, aaron bowen should stay in his warm up suit on the bench for the rest of the season. i cannot stand to see him play. he's got omar wattad/mescherakov syndrome and as my esteemed colleague DownyBoy put it, the aaron bowen project is over. i'd much rather see the minutes go to reggie cameron. it's not about doing things right, it's about doing everything wrong and that sums up bowen. at least with cameron, you get your sole recruit early experience and build his confidence, especially going into next year when our loaded recruiting class takes the floor. NO MORE BOWEN. you don't deserve to have the 23 on your jersey. one dunk doesn't change the fact that you suck and have no future on this team.

see you guys wednesday.

Last edited:
one quick thought. just imagine how good this team would be if we still had porter and whittington was healthy. it would be something to see.

such is life.

the bowen experiment needs to be over. nothing against the guy. I'd rather not waste a year of development for Cameron/Domingo. Bowen has shown no real signs of being an impact guy.

Josh(ua) smit is a bit of conundrum for me. I really had no idea how big he was. That camo jersey just made him look huuge. Also, I generally don't like big guys like him that can dominate in CBB because of their size but have little to no NBA potential.

Markel needs to be more assertive throughout the game. He needs to think that we're playing at MSG every time. He doesn't have to be at Chris Wright levels, but it wouldn't hurt this team if he broke the defense down more often...especially early in the game when 3s aren't going down.

Hopkins. :smokin still sloppy but I have faith.

Its going to be a long year, but I'm ok with that.

the bowen experiment needs to be over. nothing against the guy. I'd rather not waste a year of development for Cameron/Domingo. Bowen has shown no real signs of being an impact guy.

Josh(ua) smit is a bit of conundrum for me. I really had no idea how big he was. That camo jersey just made him look huuge. Also, I generally don't like big guys like him that can dominate in CBB because of their size but have little to no NBA potential.

Markel needs to be more assertive throughout the game. He needs to think that we're playing at MSG every time. He doesn't have to be at Chris Wright levels, but it wouldn't hurt this team if he broke the defense down more often...especially early in the game when 3s aren't going down.

Hopkins. :smokin still sloppy but I have faith.

Its going to be a long year, but I'm ok with that.

agreed for the most part :lol:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom