The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

Originally Posted by i just got lucky

^^ yeap, I know what you mean. Nikon P&S suck...so i went with the Canon...(not a high end, P&S but takes decent enough pictures) I just use this for quick snaps or when hanging out at the bars/clubs when i cant carry my DSLR. I wish i copped a better one though.

I bought my fiancee the nikon that Ashton is always advertising....the touch screen one, i dont even know what is called, but it was the worst P&S iveeeeeevvvverrr tried to take a picture with....ill stick to my old canon joint.

DJ bana, ksteezy, RiKaN HaVoK

thanks, there really isnt much to shoot in palm beach but Im trying to practice taking night shots. Miami is too
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

I mainly want to start shooting good pics cars sliding late night
nerd.gif

Originally Posted by RiKaN HaVoK

JoseBronx wrote:
can someone give me tip on shooting at night?, I just copped a xsi not so long ago

pictures I took in miami came out horrible
ohwell.gif

1. Good tripod
2. Bigger aperture (f/1.2 - f/2.
glasses.gif
should help some
3. Higher ISO (pictures might become to noisy for your taste)
4. IS lens to compensate for the low shutter speed
5. Shoot Manual/RAW

These are some of the stuff you should be reading or experimenting with ...

will try this
pimp.gif

I'd take a pic of my gear but my room is in a mess right now
frown.gif

Here they are listed though:

Canon 5D Mark II + grip
Canon 1D Mark III
Canon Elan 7n + grip (film)
Canon EOS 300 (film)

EF 15 f/2.8 FE
EF 24 f/1.4L
EF 50 f/1.2L
EF 85 f/1.2L II
TS-E 45 f/2.8
EF 100 f/2.8 Macro
EF 70-200 f/2.8 IS

580ex speedlite
430ex speedlite
2 x AB800 Alien Bees
3 x PocketWizard Plus II

Lowepro Nova 4
Lowepro Stealth Reporter D300 AW
ThinkTank Urban Disguise 35
Crumpler 7 million dollar home

Bogen-Manfrotto 055 XPROB + 488 RC2

and soon to be joining the family is a Canon G11
smile.gif

Future plans:
Either replace the 24L with a 24L II, replace 1D Mark III with 1D Mark IV, or replace 50L with 35L. I'm also looking to get a background + stand and alarge softbox for my Alien Bees. Most of my work is done under natural or available light though. I've finally sold 3 of my lenses (24-70, 70-200 f/4,Sigma 10-20) so I have some spending money for Christmas. I'm actually using most of it to buy gifts for family and friends.

What's my favorite combo?
It used to be the 5D2 + 50L. Now it's the 1D3 + 24L.

If you think that list is crazy, check out some of the gear people have on POTN. Some of those guys are just hobbyists too.

Originally Posted by JoseBronx

DJ bana, ksteezy, RiKaN HaVoK

thanks, there really isnt much to shoot in palm beach but Im trying to practice taking night shots. Miami is too
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

I mainly want to start shooting good pics cars sliding late night
nerd.gif

Originally Posted by RiKaN HaVoK

JoseBronx wrote:
can someone give me tip on shooting at night?, I just copped a xsi not so long ago

pictures I took in miami came out horrible
ohwell.gif

1. Good tripod
2. Bigger aperture (f/1.2 - f/2.
glasses.gif
should help some
3. Higher ISO (pictures might become to noisy for your taste)
4. IS lens to compensate for the low shutter speed
5. Shoot Manual/RAW

These are some of the stuff you should be reading or experimenting with ...

will try this
pimp.gif

I think what you want is light trails, definately a tripod, slow shutter, low ISO
happy.gif

good luck, looking forward to the outcome.

Insane list Rap....whats your POTN name??...im a regular there too.

and if you ever plan on selling the 50L, let me know...i have the 35L but im not sure i wanna let it go...lo...we coulda done a trade if you interested. Howsthe 100mm macro??.....

did i make a mistake coppin a nikon d3000?.. seems like no one on here has one.. or they went with a canon.. anyone got pics taken with a D3000?

not really light trail even tho that would be nice, Im trying to shoot cars drifting but at night

Originally Posted by JoseBronx

not really light trail even tho that would be nice, Im trying to shoot cars drifting but at night

hmmm...that sounds interesting, in this case i think Bana and Rikan gave you the best advice.
smile.gif

post em up when you get it done.

Originally Posted by Razorsharp510

did i make a mistake coppin a nikon d3000?.. seems like no one on here has one.. or they went with a canon.. anyone got pics taken with a D3000?

It's still a toss up which brand to start with but as you upgrade to your next camera, that is where you kind of have to take a stand. But the D3000 is agood start up DLSR. I mean it is only a waste if you fully invest in some lenses but if you are trying to get a feel of photography, it will be a good camerato start with. One way or another if you like this hobby, you will upgrade to something else in about a year or two.

My list short:

Nikon D90+kit lems
Nikkor 35mm 1.4G
Nikkor 10.5mm 2.8 Fisheye
Lowpro Flipside 200

If I had the cash, I still think I would get both Nikon and Canon (wouldn't min getting a D3s), but in the future......I think I will go back to Canon andget a Mark II.

Originally Posted by ksteezy

Insane list Rap....whats your POTN name??...im a regular there too.

and if you ever plan on selling the 50L, let me know...i have the 35L but im not sure i wanna let it go...lo...we coulda done a trade if you interested. Hows the 100mm macro??.....
my POTN name is the same however I'm not much of a poster. I usually go there to see other people's work, inspirations, tips, learn newthings and sell my gear. Bana actually inquired about the 50L before too but I'm still having my doubts letting it go. With my new favorite combo of the1D3 + 24L (which is similar to a 5D2 + 35L), I might just get the sharper 24L II to pair up with 1D3 or save up lot for the 1D4 which I'm hoping will haveimproved high-ISO performance. I'll let you know.

I was actually really close to selling my 100mm macro but the buyer backed out. Thank goodness he did because this is my money lens when it comes to productphotography.

I'd like to post my latest work but I'm feeling a bit lazy so you can just click the preview pic of my friend below which will lead to my blog. Pleasebe aware to alter the size of in HTML if you quote my pics.

CLICK PIC TO MY BLOG:

Originally Posted by Razorsharp510

The D3000 is still relatively new, but I don't think you went wrong with it. I'm using a D40x currently, but making a pretty steep upgradeafter Christmas/upcoming 21st birthday. The D3000 is the NEW entry-level Nikon DSLR. At one point (3 years ago), my D40x was half a step above their entrylevel camera and I still love it. The D3000 is definitely an upgrade. If you can shoot at ISO800 with a 50 opened up to f/1.8 without noise, then youdefinitely didn't make a mistake.

Hey, Rap! With the 5dII, did the 70-200 f/4L still manage to get enough light on the 5dII to avoid noise indoors/atdusk? I'm making the move to Canon and I'm looking at picking up the following:

USED Canon 1DsII
Canon 50 f/1.8 (for now)
Canon 70-200 f/4L (so I have a zoom for the time being)

The 1DsII is full frame, but I shoot at night a lot so I just want to make sure I'm not wasting 500 bucks.
I thought about selling my Nikon gear and using that money and just getting the 70-200 f/2.8L, but I think I'm gonna keep the Nikon around for times when Idon't want to risk using the 1DsII.

Thoughts?

great series bro, what were your setting on that night shot?...the one with the light trails?

by the way i thought you'd be older, good way to carry yourself around here.
happy.gif

To get this new thread rolling, I'll post some old pictures.

My gear.

Manual focus lenses

Some of my more recent favorites (still kinda old)

And of course, a sneaker picture

Couple randoms.
I'm a newbie..

Myself and some friends at the bar:
1bd36cd14b0040f5d1cbd2cd7a641c588679ad7d.jpg

A picture of my late mother, and her urn, at my Grandma's last birthday:
a442686483419d4adff7e01b4e1b91009e7fabce.jpg

Originally Posted by XX3forever

4183101099_a8598349a8_b.jpg

This pic is monumental.
Probably the best I've seen on NT yet.
The taxi and message attached to it fits perfectly within the scene.
The stars were aligned for this one.
pimp.gif

great series bro, what were your setting on that night shot?...the one with the light trails?

happy.gif

Thanks man. The setting for that shot was:

Camera Make: Canon
Camera Model: Canon EOS-1D Mark III
Image Date: 2009:12:12 14:41:13
Flash Used: No
Focal Length: 24.0mm
CCD Width: 10.85mm
Exposure Time: 0.700 s
Aperture: f/3.5
ISO equiv: 400
White Balance: Manual
Metering Mode: Matrix
Exposure: Manual
Exposure Mode: Manual

Don't mind the time. I forgot to change my camera's clock
laugh.gif
. It was taken around 6pm. I didn't have my tripod with me so it was hard getting asharp shot. Plus there were barely any cars going by. It was cold as hell though so we couldn't stay outside too long.

Originally Posted by Rap Sizzle

happy.gif

Thanks man. The setting for that shot was:

Camera Make: Canon
Camera Model: Canon EOS-1D Mark III
Image Date: 2009:12:12 14:41:13
Flash Used: No
Focal Length: 24.0mm
CCD Width: 10.85mm
Exposure Time: 0.700 s
Aperture: f/3.5
ISO equiv: 400
White Balance: Manual
Metering Mode: Matrix
Exposure: Manual
Exposure Mode: Manual

Don't mind the time. I forgot to change my camera's clock
laugh.gif
. It was taken around 6pm. I didn't have my tripod with me so it was hard getting a sharp shot. Plus there were barely any cars going by. It was cold as hell though so we couldn't stay outside too long.

thought you might have used a flash....and i know whats like to shoot in the cold.....I HATE IT...you cant even feel the shutter button after a while...SMH.
you did a good job concidering the situation man
smokin.gif

Originally Posted by alejanz28

im curious, how do you get the light trails in a picture?

Longer exposure times. In lower light you need longer exposure times in order for the sensor/film to capture enough light. In Rap's case it was just under1 second, so with cars driving by you'd get light trails. Does that answer the question?

While I'm here...

Digital:
Nikon D40x gripped + extra battery
Nikon18-55 f/3.5-5.6
Nikon 55-200 f/4-5.6
Nikon 50 f/1.8
Older steel/aluminum tripod my parents gave me
Targus monopod
Some bag that barely holds all of it
SB-80DX Flash Unit

Film:
Canon EOS Rebel G
Canon 35-80 f/4-5.6 (weakest range on a kit lens ever
roll.gif
)
Currently 2x Kodak 400
A bag made to hold just a camera + lens from Walmart

Gear after December 28th (Christmas+birthday+cash saved)
Used Canon 1DsII
Canon 70-200 f/4L
Canon 50 f/1.8
Probably a Lowepro Slingshot

By June:
Canon 85 f/1.8 OR Canon 50 f/1.4
Manfrotto tripod with a ball head.

Originally Posted by alejanz28

im curious, how do you get the light trails in a picture?

long exposures usually, meaning the longer the shutter is open the more light it draws in, so when a moving object with lights, usually a car goes by the framewhile the shutter is open this creates a light trail.

Too lazy to take pics but while everyone is listing their gear I might as well contribute:

Nikon D40

Nikon 35mm f/1.8
Nikon 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6 VR
Nikon 55-200mm f/4-5.6 VR (which i'm prob going to sell since i just got the 70-300)
Nikon 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR

Some crap Nikon shoulder bag and a Hakuba tripod

Pat my boyyy.....I want a 135L
frown.gif

Maybe Santa will surprise me with it!
i have a 135L, worth every penny. here are some shots (keep in mind most are @ night with high ISO and manual focusing, but its a greatmacro/portrait lens, too)

4092079904_eafddf6df6_b.jpg

4092035532_c9d12fa119_b.jpg

4091270685_70c8215c03_b.jpg

4092216094_55c3b328b0_b.jpg

4092049780_38d26b3771_b.jpg

4091270361_5ae7502d8b_b.jpg

4091348273_d1c7fd175a_b.jpg

dude, if you ever wanna sell your 35L... it's next on my list.

I have:
24 1.4L
135 1.4L
50 1.4 EF (i did extensive research between the ef 1.4 and 1.2L and decided on the ef, but nothing beats the crisp L look)
28-135 EF
Sigma 12-24 EX

next on the list is for sure the 35L. the distance is so perfect, and with the sharp look it's so hard to resist. so again, let me know.

I found a great deal on my 135L recently on fredmiranda. * thumbs up *

Originally Posted by budahbro

@ bana, great job capturing the essence of nights in miami, beautiful gritty, and real. Model looks real comfortable workin wit u

@ lucky, great eye, some of those pictures are absolutly stunning, wut u shooting with?
thanks! funny, you read exactly how she is with me. she was new to modeling, but shes absolutely stunning.. so a lot of her beginning work is withme, since we're friends.

here are a few other shots of her... she's def one of my fave models to work with.
heck out her portfolio (but please do not harass her, i know she's gorgeous) : http://www.flickr.com/photos/surpsippineilen/

3538578974_68014ea5d2_b.jpg

us goofing around

3548529460_2056c3be7f_b.jpg

3540089368_b9126b455d_b.jpg

3537821859_9f5100aca4_b.jpg

more recent work

3837665359_e562796cef_b.jpg

Bumping this because it got lost in the last page:

Hey, Rap (or anyone who can help, really)! With the 5dII, did the 70-200 f/4L still manage to get enough light on the 5dII to avoid noise indoors/at dusk? (Keep in mind that the 1DsII--my next body-- only has ISO expandable to ISO3200).

The 1DsII is full frame, but I shoot at night a lot so I just want to make sure I'm not wasting 500 bucks.
I thought about selling my Nikon gear and using that money and just getting the 70-200 f/2.8L, but I think I'm gonna keep the Nikon around for times when I don't want to risk using the 1DsII.

Thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom