The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

Good stuff @JordanSF
 - is that with a drone? Where do you launch from? My Phantom collects dust because it seems like everywhere out here is a no fly zone. 

Nice shot JordanSF .... are you a pilot?

I hope he is because if its a drone, its breaking FAA regulations.

not familiar with the no fly zones in san fran/the bay but the faa says one is allowed to fly to 400ft above from wherever you take off from and if you are next to a tall building/structure you can technically fly up to 400ft above that, basically you can fly up to 400ft higher than the highest building/structure provided you are within 400 ft of it - and you aren't flying over people; doesn't mean you should fly that high or close to buildings but it isn't actually illegal...

if close to an airport it definitely complicates things but that is really only if you are within its 5 mile radius, and if you really want to be on the up & up you can contact the nearest/local flight tower to get clearance/let them know your flight plan and download apps to help you figure out where commercial flights will be to avoid those areas...and since most consumer uavs use positioning software to fly, they usually have the no fly zones programmed in such that in true no flight zones the motors can't even be engaged without being explicitly overridden...

as i understand it, national parks are a good example of this, drone flights are banned by the parks but the parks themselves are not really no fly zones...

Lately at home,

31490173403_e8eb2a7758_b.jpg

32300941615_532b47ec1b_b.jpg

More on https://www.instagram.com/manvsovsov/, catch me on ig so I can give a follow to the NT fam.

Followed! @Norwaydre

I need help , took this pic in Germany , it was pretty gloomy and dark that day . I shot witn Raw but I still need to tweak that picture and make it pop out a bit bring the colors out . Anybody willing to help me with Photoshop ?

a couple of options are raising the total exposure or raising the shadows/blacks.

37LS3nGSmWQS7PZqEnOUDIJeODiCtaAjtpA68YAithU%2Cb_Yp9qsc7oBDyHZeQKGi621roOKBSxScFCNUafpq-2k%2CjwqYYUcOVgi-OW8z1dpYhQvIcUYy7jOKYgPAT4fdbI0

Been spending my time trying to improve my concepts of photography...mainly been working on leading lines for the last week, thought this turned out pretty neat, shot during golden hour.

What file types do you guys export in and why? I usually use png as its not compressed like jpeg.people say jpeg is better but idk. Never has a problem with png

Last edited:
What file types do you guys export in and why? I usually use png as its not compressed like jpeg.people say jpeg is better but idk. Never has a problem with png

PNG for me but it doesn't provide info like JPEGs like shutter speed, aperture and what not. But I do like the result of PNG files as it looks exactly how it should be from what you edited. JPEGs can do some damage when saved, especially in long exposure photos where there is a lot of colors and gradients. I honestly don't get why JPEGs are the preferred unless it's cause most other programs can read it.

PNG for me but it doesn't provide info like JPEGs like shutter speed, aperture and what not. But I do like the result of PNG files as it looks exactly how it should be from what you edited. JPEGs can do some damage when saved, especially in long exposure photos where there is a lot of colors and gradients. I honestly don't get why JPEGs are the preferred unless it's cause most other programs can read it.

Yeah that's practically why I use it lol

Nice shot JordanSF .... are you a pilot?
Drone pilot lol

Good stuff @JordanSF  - is that with a drone? Where do you launch from? My Phantom collects dust because it seems like everywhere out here is a no fly zone. 
Thx man and yeah it's a bummer how you get the no fly zone after turning the drone on. I took off from marshals parking lot.
the way it sounded ... I just jumped on my chopper and took it for a spin .... LoL

He could be paying for a flyover though.
Haha one day
not familiar with the no fly zones in san fran/the bay but the faa says one is allowed to fly to 400ft above from wherever you take off from and if you are next to a tall building/structure you can technically fly up to 400ft above that, basically you can fly up to 400ft higher than the highest building/structure provided you are within 400 ft of it - and you aren't flying over people; doesn't mean you should fly that high or close to buildings but it isn't actually illegal...

if close to an airport it definitely complicates things but that is really only if you are within its 5 mile radius, and if you really want to be on the up & up you can contact the nearest/local flight tower to get clearance/let them know your flight plan and download apps to help you figure out where commercial flights will be to avoid those areas...and since most consumer uavs use positioning software to fly, they usually have the no fly zones programmed in such that in true no flight zones the motors can't even be engaged without being explicitly overridden...

as i understand it, national parks are a good example of this, drone flights are banned by the parks but the parks themselves are not really no fly zones...
You're right. Unfortunately there's a lot of places in SF that would still give you the "no fly zone" and won't let you launch regardless of being allowed to fly below 400ft. After that you're 100% responsible for what you chose to do next.
Sick, hopefully you bring that to the meet. Always wanted one of those shots lol

You're right. Unfortunately there's a lot of places in SF that would still give you the "no fly zone" and won't let you launch regardless of being allowed to fly below 400ft. After that you're 100% responsible for what you chose to do next.

The aeronautical charts also show that both coastlines on the two sides of the golden gate bridge are Special Conservation Areas, where it is suggested that you should keep an altitude of 2000 feet above ground level. It doesn't seem like a great idea to do that, especially since those photos are way above 400 feet above ground level.

Last edited:
Been raining in Chicago the last couple of days so I thought I would go down to the beach and get some shots of the city with some fog mixed in...but as soon as I get down there I quickly realized the fog was too thick to see through.

Not letting that waste my 20 minute drive across town I stopped by the beach area where I took the first shots with my 750 just to see how the fog was effecting that area and I stumbled upon gold.

This was my first time shooting at night with fog and it worked out perfectly. I was able to capture this large boat that is a tourist attraction/rooftop bar in the summer and combined with the lighting/fog, made for a really eerie mood.

I'll have some more pics to come but this is the one I posted last night, probably my favorite photo I've ever taken.

Edit: NT won't let me be great I guess...image was compressed when uploading here..."life guard" should not be blurry

Last edited:
I was really looking forward to this past weekend to go out and shoot. But for some reason, I was having a hard time being motivated. 

What do you guys do to keep yourselves motivated when shooting? Any tips to keep/maintain the excitement?

I was really looking forward to this past weekend to go out and shoot. But for some reason, I was having a hard time being motivated. 

What do you guys do to keep yourselves motivated when shooting? Any tips to keep/maintain the excitement?

For me, my motivation is -- I want more gear

More gear costs money

I make money for gear by doing photoshoots

I get inquiries for photoshoots by posting on social media

I get content for social media by doing shoots

For me, its just a never ending cycle :lol:

while i enjoy doing photography, i don't consider myself a photographer, so i never get too vexed about not getting out to shoot...but motivation in general is one of those things you just have to get over by just doing; you can't really wait to be inspired or motivated...you just have to decide to make the doing part a habit, motivated or not...

Been raining in Chicago the last couple of days so I thought I would go down to the beach and get some shots of the city with some fog mixed in...but as soon as I get down there I quickly realized the fog was too thick to see through.

Not letting that waste my 20 minute drive across town I stopped by the beach area where I took the first shots with my 750 just to see how the fog was effecting that area and I stumbled upon gold.

This was my first time shooting at night with fog and it worked out perfectly. I was able to capture this large boat that is a tourist attraction/rooftop bar in the summer and combined with the lighting/fog, made for a really eerie mood.

I'll have some more pics to come but this is the one I posted last night, probably my favorite photo I've ever taken.

castaways.jpg

Edit: NT won't let me be great I guess...image was compressed when uploading here..."life guard" should not be blurry

It's cause of the way NT made their forums. First post on the pages always get messed up from the ads to the right. Look at your photo now and it looks fine.

Nice shot. Looks like a UFO.

I can't wait to get out to shoot but its probably because I've only had my camera for a few weeks now.

Exploring/finding new places or interesting things has been motivating me though. I feel like I get hyper aware of my surrounds when I'm out looking to take good pics.

Also, managing to take that one perfect shot has been pretty motivational lately

Back
Top Bottom