The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

damn @astronout those obama pics speak volumes. good stuff. my political iq and engagement is admittedly underdeveloped and ill-informed but with all that's happening and going on i think those first two of the former potus say a lot. great dialogue about focal length, bokeh and dof several pages back. definitely informative. at first i told myself i'd save for the 24-70 since everything i have up to this point has been either at 28 or 50 almost exclusively but after playing with the 70-200 and seeing what everyone else accomplishes with it, has me changing my mind. i have some time until i can acquire it but i really like seeing what that range can do. going to tokyo on friday for the chinese new year to meet up with a friend from home for a few days, hopefully can go out and shoot. heres a photodump from a couple exhibitions from this past weekend. definitely a different environment to be in. usually stay aperture priority most of the time but was using manual nearly the entire time at the light installations... more pics on my blog post. critique and criticism always welcomed and listened to https://www.grinfluenza.com/new-blog/2017/1/22/in-a-funk

32082884250_e9ae7dd61f_c.jpg
31617862544_e6a1be757a_c.jpg
32339782401_fa7ece7b2d_c.jpg
32461155055_6aea79296b_c.jpg
32480686085_3b8b645b22_c.jpg
32309816992_6ca4beae21_c.jpg
31649617473_8bc753bb80_c.jpg
32082896050_fbd4878fa7_c.jpg

Last edited:
I've been looking into 3rd party lenses. I like doing night time street long exposure stuff and was wondering if anyone has any experience with the Samyang 14mm lenses. I plan on picking one of those up. In general I'm opening myself up to 3rd party lenses. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

generally, the samyang/rokinon lenses are a great value b-especially if you don't mind manual controls, with one major caveat, their quality control is really inconsistent, the 14mm in particular has a hard to correct type of distortion and many copies are said to suffer from some de-centering, mine definitely does...

some early morning lakeside fog

Untitled by a0, on Flickr

Anybody use lens filters and have recommendations?

Thinking about a polarizer for reflections and maybe a uv haze filter to clear up fog/smog when I dont want it. Are those good to get and what brands should I go with?

Shooting by hand as I don't have a sturdy tripod yet. Mine is trash

Anybody use lens filters and have recommendations?

Thinking about a polarizer for reflections and maybe a uv haze filter to clear up fog/smog when I dont want it. Are those good to get and what brands should I go with?

Shooting by hand as I don't have a sturdy tripod yet. Mine is trash
I've always used a B+W UV Filter. Haven't had any issues.

Didn't realize how much some folks are charging for their workshops. :frown:

I was just listening to Tony Northrup's video on how photographers as a profession is becoming extinct since the income and what people pay doesn't justify a proper salary. He said that an average salary for a photography is in the range of like $32K a year. He also mentions how no one wants to pay good money for photographers anymore and how even just simple retail jobs like "the studios at the mall" are becoming extinct.

Workshops are one of the few ways photographers make money and honestly, it's got to be hard unless you just have a great online following. I've been to 2 classes and paid about a $100 for each and I can't even say that was really worth my time. I even looked up travel photo excursions with photographers and even think some of those workshops are nuts for the price. Chris Burkard had one for Iceland and it was like $7800 and that wasn't including the plane ticket.

http://www.chrisburkard.com/Event-Favorites/ICELAND-BOAT-TOUR

I was just listening to Tony Northrup's video on how photographers as a profession is becoming extinct since the income and what people pay doesn't justify a proper salary. He said that an average salary for a photography is in the range of like $32K a year. He also mentions how no one wants to pay good money for photographers anymore and how even just simple retail jobs like "the studios at the mall" are becoming extinct.

Workshops are one of the few ways photographers make money and honestly, it's got to be hard unless you just have a great online following. I've been to 2 classes and paid about a $100 for each and I can't even say that was really worth my time. I even looked up travel photo excursions with photographers and even think some of those workshops are nuts for the price. Chris Burkard had one for Iceland and it was like $7800 and that wasn't including the plane ticket.

Yeah, I'm not sure that I can justify that. I understand the reason why these workshops or trips are costly, but wow. Props to them for enticing folks that are willing to pay. A lot of these are simply out of my budget.

^^^^^Try some meetup.com stuff. A lot of that can be super cheap, if not free but it comes with a price, meaning a lot of them can be a total waste. What's funny is there is a Canon learning studio a block away from my work and I get invites on their seminars and almost all seem like really boring lectures. They even did a deal where they were charging something in lines of $17 per session but the class was like "Learning the EOS menu" or "Capturing animals at the zoo" topics. They had one that seemed legit though. It was a critique session where you brought in one photo to share in the class and at the end of it, they'd let you print it on one of their Canon professional printers for free.

Didn't realize how much some folks are charging for their workshops. :frown:

im actually listening to that podcast right now :lol:

I dont own any filters for any of my lenses :nerd: :frown:

Always thought you had a CPL.

I feel like all these beginner workshops are not needed since a lot of the info is online and on youtube. I think if people have the time they could just youtube everything then go out and shoot. Trial and error is the best way to learn imo.

t3i Sigma 17-50mm f2.8

i have the canon 50mm 1.8 cheap nifty 50. thinking now that this sigma does 2.8 from 17-50 i can sell the cheap plastic canon 1.8 AND the kit lens so i can save for another lens

im constantly finding myself in situation where i cant shoot if i have to use HIGHER than iso 800, maybe can use 1600 but way too much noise on the t3i for my taste.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom