The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

Recommend me a DSLR camera under $500 please!

Canon side:

Canon EOS Rebel T5 Digital SLR Camera Kit with EF-S 18-55mm IS II Lens
http://amzn.to/2lLyMB3

Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM Lens (if you want some awesome background blur)
http://amzn.to/2mu8u52

NIkon Side:
Nikon D3300 24.2 MP CMOS Digital SLR with AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR II Zoom Lens
http://amzn.to/2mrJHgd

Sony Side:
Sony Alpha a5000 Mirrorless Digital Camera with 16-50mm
http://amzn.to/2mrXseZ

Headed to mount tam tomorrow morning for the first time. Scouting locations on google maps [emoji]128064[/emoji]

^^^^^Holler at that one guy on here that goes there all the time. I'd like to know where the hot spots are too. I still don't even know where people park and walk to.

Just sent him a message on the gram. I hope there are a ton of clouds tomorrow morning!

Mount tam was unreal. I've never seen the fog so dense! There was a blanket covering the ocean it was perfect! Wish I stayed longer but I'll post pics later today.

If this place wasn't so far away I'd go there every morning for the sunrise. :x

Last edited:
^ Glad it worked out for you man, those shots are crazy :pimp:

Just wrapped up day one in Iceland. 

Glacier hike was unreal, highly recommended for anyone making the trip out

Sick man. Can't believe you are posting out there too. Dedicated. Can't wait to see more.

Still hacking away at my Europe photos. Most have been posted on my IG but these were re-edited on LR and PS with the RAW files so I can get them all print ready. I think I said this before but I've never shot so many vertical photos before and all of it is credited to IG and their vertical photos looking better and bigger.

iceland-8.png
rome-3a1.png
rome-1.png
rome-2a.png
france-1.png
france-2.png
venice-3a.png
venice-2b.png
venice-4.png
venice-5.png
london-2a.png
london-1a1.png

Last edited:
Got a sunset portrait gig lined up tonight. Never done much portraiture before, but it's with a friend. First time for everything!

Used a sigma 35mm 1.4 ART for the first time in a real world portrait shoot with a client.

It missed focus when my subject was backlit :frown:

when it hit, it definitely hit... but when it didnt, maaaaan it didnt.

will not cop. oh whale. I knew the price was too good to be true.

Canon's 35mm 1.4L II is the obvious choice for me at this point for when I get a 35mm prime. Not any time soon though. Going to snag a couple of 5d mark IV's this summer. :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x

Also -- I booked the traveling wedding yesterday!!! My first one. Im excited. N Carolina, here i come! :smile:

Last edited:
Used a sigma 35mm 1.4 ART for the first time in a real world portrait shoot with a client.

It missed focus when my subject was backlit
frown.gif

Canon's 35mm 1.4L II is the obvious choice for me at this point for when I get a 35mm prime. Not any time soon though. Going to snag a couple of 5d mark IV's this summer.
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif

Also -- I booked the traveling wedding yesterday!!! My first one. Im excited. N Carolina, here i come!
smile.gif
congrats man....im learning so much from the pros like yourself...gonna make the dive soon and make a starter purchase, between your vids and all the shots posted here, im hyped to get started

Canon's 35mm 1.4L II is the obvious choice for me at this point for when I get a 35mm prime. Not any time soon though. Going to snag a couple of 5d mark IV's this summer. :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x

Also -- I booked the traveling wedding yesterday!!! My first one. Im excited. N Carolina, here i come! :smile:
congrats man....im learning so much from the pros like yourself...gonna make the dive soon and make a starter purchase, between your vids and all the shots posted here, im hyped to get started

I'm definitely not a pro man but I appreciate the kind words soooo much.

I'm learning a lot about business as i go. I've left lots of money on the table but i just keep hustling every single day. :smile:

Was this not what I was trying to explain about the 35ART some odd pages ago? :lol:

Lense is meh, just save up and cop the 35LII

Was this not what I was trying to explain about the 35ART some odd pages ago? :lol:

Lense is meh, just save up and cop the 35LII

Exactly!! Im am so happy i was able to borrow it and try it though.

Whats your lens lineup like??? do you have the 24L & 35L ??? If you do, which one do you like more & why? And if you do have both, why own both vs 1? :nerd:

edit -- now that i have 24-70, & 70-200... i copped the 85L II and im like 100% sold on shooting L primes over zooms. I want to keep my zooms for versatility for now but I want to fill out my prime spectrum.

Last edited:

the 34mm art is on my radar :nerd:

Seen a lot of amazing pics from it. Did you rent it?

the 34mm art is on my radar :nerd:

Seen a lot of amazing pics from it. Did you rent it?

I borrowed it from a friend who bought it like last week or the week prior..

I really want to emphasize that it was amazing when it hit.

but it hit about 80% of the time and missed mostly when i backlit my subject.

as a portrait photographer....... i do that very often.

And as a photographer that gets paid for a product/service/experience... i CANT have equipment that i will second guess on.

Im sure if you shoot it at f/4 and only shoot in a directly lit scene, it will be a perfectly suitable lens.

but for me and by needs, i cant trust it.

Last edited:
got my second and third rolls of film developed here a few. i can't lie i really dig the tones and feel. i know theres a long way to go as far as understanding the intricacies of film but for casual shooting and shooting for fun i think its really cool. while the topic is still fresh. can anyone comment on the nikon 35mm 1.8 for full frame vs. the tamron 35mm 1.8? maybe their personal experience with either of the two? the tamron seems to have positive reviews but mainly its because i feel like i wasted money on the 50mm that i barely touch. in retrospect i think had i known what i know now, i probably would have enjoyed and gotten more use out of a sharper 35mm. both are at similar price points, and have no intention of dropping 1300+ on a 1.4 at the moment.

33289905952_a9e381b405_c.jpg
32602562014_2018897a01_c.jpg
32602561404_fb188118a0_c.jpg
33289906202_e5aaf87d2b_c.jpg
33289900822_23e0ea30ea_c.jpg
33289905592_83dffe787f_c.jpg
33445579705_26dec0a116_c.jpg

Back
Top Bottom