The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

^^^^I tired looking this up online but only found how to fix locked cards. Oddly it's not something I guess that can be fixed. This is why I loved newer camera bodies with dual card slots. Granted I've never had an issue with my cards but I can only imagine if I did with some good photos on it.

Sony with a new Sony A7III: https://photorumors.com/2018/02/26/sony-a7iii-mirrorless-camera-officially-announced/

What a bang for your buck for camera for only $2K. I am thinking this almost kills the Canon 5D Mark 4 but not the Nikon D850.

Ive been saving in anticipation of the announcement......gonna keep saving, sell my A7 eventually. Ill have a solid body setup then (A7III & A7II....along with an RX100V as a "sidearm"). Sony just upped the ante. Canon & Nikon need to go back to the drawing board.

Sony has just lined up so many different models where it's so easy to get into the full frame market. This camera which is essentially similar to the Canon 5D Mark 4 (unless I am missing something here) is over a thousand dollars cheaper. The camera priced near this new A7III is the Canon 6D Mark 2 and it'd be a no brainer to get the Sony over the Canon.

Here is in depth review. I don't even shoot portraits but I so want to shoot with that camera for the eye focus alone. I'll give Canon one more go and wait for a Canon full frame update since I am in no rush to sell my 5D Mark 3 but if there isn't something good around the pipeline, I am moving to Sony.

both are expected to come with 35mm a7 competitors as soon as sometime this year, or maybe early 2019...it will be interesting to see what approach they each decide to take

They both have a lot of ground to make up. I read someplace that Sony has overtaken Nikon for second place amongst full framed cameras, with Canon in their sights (realistic or not, Sony is making a very aggressive push, especially the last few years).

As consumers, its always good to see these camera compete with each other....the more choices we have, the more companies will continue to push the envelope for our $$$.

Canon & Nikon will have to offer something Sony cant. At this point I dont know if thats possible. Way back, people stayed loyal to Canon, Nikon, etc....because they were heavily invested in those systems. Now? Its pretty easy to adapt lenses from other makers and get close to native AF performance....so the selling point for Canon/Nikon won't be that. Itll have to be something else.

I can’t wait for Sigma to announce their Lenses for FE. Looking forward to having a native ART lens.

They both have a lot of ground to make up. I read someplace that Sony has overtaken Nikon for second place amongst full framed cameras, with Canon in their sights (realistic or not, Sony is making a very aggressive push, especially the last few years).

As consumers, its always good to see these camera compete with each other....the more choices we have, the more companies will continue to push the envelope for our $$$.

Canon & Nikon will have to offer something Sony cant. At this point I dont know if thats possible. Way back, people stayed loyal to Canon, Nikon, etc....because they were heavily invested in those systems. Now? Its pretty easy to adapt lenses from other makers and get close to native AF performance....so the selling point for Canon/Nikon won't be that. Itll have to be something else.

sony has definitely been much more aggressive, packing more capability/features in every successive iteration/generation, but i don't think the loyalty to canon & nikon was strictly due to being so invested in the respective systems, rather there are/were legit concerns/reasons why people don't mess with sony cameras or mirrorless cameras generally, some more founded in reality than others; so i am really interested in which things they each decide to address for their a7 competitors...

sony has definitely been much more aggressive, packing more capability/features in every successive iteration/generation, but i don't think the loyalty to canon & nikon was strictly due to being so invested in the respective systems, rather there are/were legit concerns/reasons why people don't mess with sony cameras or mirrorless cameras generally, some more founded in reality than others; so i am really interested in which things they each decide to address for their a7 competitors...

Well have to see how those respective offerings from Canon & Nikon are received. I do expect there to be some bumps in the road. Canon has been doing mirrorless for some time with mixed results. Maybe a FF entry from them will get people interested.

Busted out my Nikon D80 with the 35-70 lens. Going to mess around and see if I can still get in some decent shots.

Still looking into a good 'entry level' full-frame DSLR.

I still don't like adapting Canon lenses to a Sony body.

This video was put up weeks back and even though the lens works, I still think it's weak that the eye focus doesn't work as accurate.

I am a focus snob unless it has to do with landscapes. My dream is for Canon to make a good mirrorless camera with similar features as their Sony competitors but to adapt their own Canon lenses to their body where the focus system is no compromised. I do think if I go Sony, I am selling all my Canon lenses to get native Sony ones.

Any of the bay area folks ever been to Napa? Wondering if anyone knows of some spots where i can fit 6 cars.

Man.....I just saw this video for the focusing with the metabones adaptor for the Sony A7R3 with Canon lenses and it's pretty damn solid. I know the metabones adaptors have been proven not as good but then I am coming from a Canon Mark 3 which is only so good. Now I want the Sony A7III cause the focusing is like the A9 which is better and I probably just don't need the +40MP that is on the A7RIII. And I figure I can sell my camera and be about half way in getting the Sony and just keep all my Canon lenses.

But even after seeing this video, I still get skeptical. Anyone use a metabones adaptor personally on a newer Sony camera (A9 or A7RIII)?

Man.....I just saw this video for the focusing with the metabones adaptor for the Sony A7R3 with Canon lenses and it's pretty damn solid. I know the metabones adaptors have been proven not as good but then I am coming from a Canon Mark 3 which is only so good. Now I want the Sony A7III cause the focusing is like the A9 which is better and I probably just don't need the +40MP that is on the A7RIII. And I figure I can sell my camera and be about half way in getting the Sony and just keep all my Canon lenses.

But even after seeing this video, I still get skeptical. Anyone use a metabones adaptor personally on a newer Sony camera (A9 or A7RIII)?

one of my favorite phrases i've picked up from photography circles is the saying "your mileage may vary," if you are for seriously concerned about making a 'bad' decision here it may be worth the expense to rent the body (and adapter) to see if it will be suitable for you...

Last edited:
^^^^^OMG.....you are totally right man. I get spammed with borrowlense emails all the time too. I am going to do this now.

i have $300 to spend. not sure if i should just buy some cheaper point and shoot cameras to fill up my collection and buuy developing tools to develop at home or if i should just save up for a nice film camera like a bessa. any film shooter have advice?

Her final shoot....

- The Vossen Audi S8 - Vossen Forged - M-X Series - ML-X3 -

40239844032_8b6e0d0705_b.jpg

40239843962_c2b91d0144_b.jpg

39573507184_9f69dcf608_b.jpg

40239843942_67579101f6_b.jpg

40239843872_92cdc6c004_b.jpg

40239843842_a78e9eb6bf_b.jpg

39573507044_308f0be84d_b.jpg

40239843802_edbcb89921_b.jpg

Sold my 50mm 1.8 FE to someone locally and picked up the 55mm Zeiss. You do get what you pay for.

At the moment, making changes to my set up. Right now, only own 3 primes ( 28/2, 55/1.8, 85/ 1.8) and the wide angle converter for the 28.

Next I’m thinking the Sigma 20/1.4 & 135/1.8 ART lenses to round everything out.

Saving for the A7III as well. My god I’m gonna be broke the next few months.

Back
Top Bottom