The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

IMG_20181216_111355_848.jpg

haven't shot in so long. love coming in a seeing people still snapping great ****.

will start shooting again soon. just got my old nikon FM working.

keep the hits coming.

I barely take my camera out now. Think I'm gonna start taking it with me to work and going on walks around my building and snapping some shots. Might be fun

Word. I used to keep it on me. Smh.
Growing up is such a burden. Lol.

I don't carry it as often now because I got a 2yr old and a 4yr old so I don't have the freedom I used to YEARS ago and have my full attention on taking pictures. Now I gotta watch them and hold their hand and all that.

But I think this walking at work thing might work out pretty well. There's not a lot of great scenery but I think I can open my creativity up a bit

I can't believe it has been this long posting in here. Been MIA off NT for the first time in so long and mostly to do with my iMac breaking down. Finally got a Macbook Pro and heading to Arizona for the New Years in hopes of getting some photos. Will be posting some stuff up hopefully soon. Good stuff on all the photos posted.

I don't think I've taken a photo since July - just not had the time and the days are so short here at this time of year that it's difficult.

Went out with the guy I often go out with at this time of year while we have a few days off - headed to this harbour with an interesting breakwater for dawn. A quick trip but got a couple of nice shots from it. I think this is the best one - about a 15 minute exposure with my 10 stop filter just as the sun was rising.

I don't think I've taken a photo since July - just not had the time and the days are so short here at this time of year that it's difficult.

Went out with the guy I often go out with at this time of year while we have a few days off - headed to this harbour with an interesting breakwater for dawn. A quick trip but got a couple of nice shots from it. I think this is the best one - about a 15 minute exposure with my 10 stop filter just as the sun was rising.

Looks beautiful! What part of europe are you in again?

Scotland. That’s on the east coast, a little north of where I live - in fact if you look straight above the end of the pier, across the water, that’s about where I am. It’s about 20 miles in a straight line but you have to drive nearly 50.

It’s been mild here recently but there was an icy wind coming off the sea while I was standing there - and you’re totally exposed on the top of a wall.

Dude....15 minute exposure is insane. So much room for error and to do it over it just outside my patience. Came out nice though.

Yeah, normally I top out less than that - but when the sun got to the horizon I was down to a few seconds exposure and the sea looked rubbish. Thought I’d give it a go and a quick calculation with a fudge factor for the light changing every second gave me 15 minutes. I could have used a less dense filter and 5 minutes or so but I wanted to see how a long one would look.

The worst part is that I have the noise control function turned on as that makes a huge difference on anything more than about 30s - and what it does is take another exposure of the same length with the shutter down and then fix it in the camera. So that shot took 30 minutes total. If I’m confident I’ve got it that can happen as you’re walking back to the car though.

I’ve been trying those long shots for a couple of years now and my workflow is to expose without the filter, calculate what I’ll need and fit the filter then put the iso way up and take some short ones to check the framing and focus etc then take the real one. That saves a lot of trial and error after you’ve stood there for 30 minutes (like I used to do!) amd then you realise that you moved something fiddling with filters.

^^^Nice!

Anyone have any external monitor suggestions? Looking to get one with my Macbook. Want to get a 4K monitor and preferably 32" screen but could do even ultrawide if it makes sense. Not sure what brand is even good in the market. Saw the LG 5K monitors at the Apple store and seemed overpriced and just something a little too extreme for me doing photo editing.

Saw this Ben Q monitor that is 4K but just don't like how the USB-C doesn't charge Macbook while plugged in. Minor thing but trying to minimize cords.

benq_pd3200u_32_led_monitor_3840x2160_1489616502000_1308751.jpg

Picked up a 35mm f/2 and compared to my 50 f/1.8 and ehhh...

I like how much closee you can be and still frame well. The bokeh im like so and so about, the first time I used it I didnt like, the second time was better. It doesnt seem as sharp as my 50 though, and all reviews say it should easily be sharper (using both wide open apertures).

Dont know if I should return or keep it. Using it to compliment my 16-35 f/4, which I love and is super sharp.

Of course after decidingto take my cam to work everyday it is extremely cold and raining. Still took a handful of shots from my car on my breaks.
My goal this year is to get some gear. At least one dream lens and finally get a flash with HSS.
So far I'm stuck between getting an 80-400mm or 60-600mm for lenses and for flashes the Neewer Vision5 and one or two of the AD200s

Picked up a 35mm f/2 and compared to my 50 f/1.8 and ehhh...

I like how much closee you can be and still frame well. The bokeh im like so and so about, the first time I used it I didnt like, the second time was better. It doesnt seem as sharp as my 50 though, and all reviews say it should easily be sharper (using both wide open apertures).

Dont know if I should return or keep it. Using it to compliment my 16-35 f/4, which I love and is super sharp.

Bokeh becomes an issue with wide angle lenses. Your just not going to have the same creamy effect as a long lens unless you shoot close up to things but then sharpness can become an issue when you shoot open depending on the lens.

If you have the money, I would get the 16-35mm f/2.8 and just get rid of both other lenses. The new one is crazy expensive though.

Bokeh becomes an issue with wide angle lenses. Your just not going to have the same creamy effect as a long lens unless you shoot close up to things but then sharpness can become an issue when you shoot open depending on the lens.

If you have the money, I would get the 16-35mm f/2.8 and just get rid of both other lenses. The new one is crazy expensive though.
I'll stick with the f/4 unless theres a reason he needs the 2.8 and if I had enough justification for the 2.8, i would only get the mk3. The f/4 is sharp and has IS. One of my favorite lens for sure.

^^^^Not a whole lot to it really. I just hit all the tourist spots from the Grand Canyon, HorseShoe Bend, Monument Valley, and Sedona. It's a lot of driving for the most part so make sure you rent a good car with an USB port for your phone for GPS. Signal can be spotty at time so map all your stuff ahead of time. You can hit up all the spots fast but since I went for photo reason, I tried to wait for good skies. It's a fun place and sights look great but just hate all the driving.

Back
Top Bottom