The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

What iPhone is this on? Or is this an app?

You can change the settings on a newer iphone - if you click the icon at the top right it gives you the options to change along the bottom.

2022-05-20 15.14.03.png

I think that's only in portrait mode though - in other modes you can change the exposure etc but I can't see a way to change the aperture or shutter length (or their digital equivalents anyway).

A better lens or a lens with a wider aperture could of have done wonders with these.

Thought the same thing. They are clearly gorgeous birds, but with a shallow depth of field it would really enhance these images. In the current shot your eye is being distracted too much by the background.

I don’t know much about lenses. I use a canon power shot sx420 is. Recommendations appreciated.
Thats a point and shoot, so not much you can do there.

What I meant by my comments, instead of seeing your pictures the way you took them. With an aperture of 1.8 or so, you could of have images like this.

figure-2.jpg

But know that you would need to know the basics of distance from cam to subj and subj to background ..... if you want to wing it then just get a long telephoto (70 - 200 2.8) and step back as far as possible and zoom it in with the 2.8 and bam ...

Thats a point and shoot, so not much you can do there.

What I meant by my comments, instead of seeing your pictures the way you took them. With an aperture of 1.8 or so, you could of have images like this.

figure-2.jpg

But know that you would need to know the basics of distance from cam to subj and subj to background ..... if you want to wing it then just get a long telephoto (70 - 200 2.8) and step back as far as possible and zoom it in with the 2.8 and bam ...

Got it. I appreciate the feedback! Yea unfortunately this camera isn’t fully automatic so I don’t have control over aperture, shutter speed that kind of stuff.

Ah. So I am eyeing that camera now. Seen it for about $500-600 on Craigslist and sort of want to get it before it gets more expensive.
Its a wonderful camera , i think about 7 different viewfinders , you can shoot 35 all the way up to 6x8 and even digital if you really want to. Lots of choices of lenses , some start off with the 90mm or the 127mm. Sekor C or the KL series lenses are the best as i was told.

I would also look into the pro s model and the pro sd film backs, they dont have light seals so they are more reliable than the pro s film backs. Try to get two.

Its a wonderful camera , i think about 7 different viewfinders , you can shoot 35 all the way up to 6x8 and even digital if you really want to. Lots of choices of lenses , some start off with the 90mm or the 127mm. Sekor C or the KL series lenses are the best as i was told.

I would also look into the pro s model and the pro sd film backs, they dont have light seals so they are more reliable than the pro s film backs. Try to get two.
I am eying the 127mm lens. I think I am going to unload an a lot of the 35mm cameras I've gotten in the last year and just focus with the RB as a camera worth really studying. Ergonomics suck but from what I've seen, picture quality us just awesome. It sort of like going from crop frame to full frame. Medium format scans just look better but that is mostly cause I have that digital eye and aren't totally in love with 35mm scans.

I am eying the 127mm lens. I think I am going to unload an a lot of the 35mm cameras I've gotten in the last year and just focus with the RB as a camera worth really studying. Ergonomics suck but from what I've seen, picture quality us just awesome. It sort of like going from crop frame to full frame. Medium format scans just look better but that is mostly cause I have that digital eye and aren't totally in love with 35mm scans.
Ergonomics wise it can suck when you are trying to take a pic and one of the many camera lockouts wont let you. The pro sd version revised some of it but over time you get used to it, ill let you figure that out when you get the camera to see for yourself :lol:

This is a tripod camera but i hand hold mine and i have a pistol grip from my c330 that i can use on this also

6D58C890-A407-42D9-8827-16C956536AD2.jpeg

As far as the scans go compared to 35mm i learned that it depends heavy on the scanner thats used, flatbed scanners like a epson v600 are best for medium formate but the nikon coolscan v is best for 35mm

I have neither so i just decided im going to send my 35mm and 120 to two different labs now for better results

Great stuff in here everyone. It is really inspiring.

I got a free Nikon film camera (4004s) from my father in law.

Really getting into it. Does anyone here recommend a good 35mm camera? We are having a kid soon and would like to capture that in film as much as I can. Something easy to use and isnt unattainable? haha. Probably good for taking photos of the baby?

Anyways, my noob pics.

35 (1).jpg
23a.jpg

Great stuff in here everyone. It is really inspiring.

I got a free Nikon film camera (4004s) from my father in law.

Really getting into it. Does anyone here recommend a good 35mm camera? We are having a kid soon and would like to capture that in film as much as I can. Something easy to use and isnt unattainable? haha. Probably good for taking photos of the baby?

Anyways, my noob pics.

35 (1).jpg
23a.jpg
I started off with nikon stuff. My first camera was a nikon fe, they are about 120-150 bucks (way back they were about 80 bucks) . It uses the f mount system so you have a very wide range of lenses from the 70s all the way up to the 00’s.

Another one i have that is still my go to is the n2000 . Its a lil faster, self loading and self winding, those go for under 100 all day. Same f mount for lenses too

I have to say, shooting kids on film is a nightmare. That is where autofocus is something that great helps cause they are constantly moving at all times. Of course you can shoot with a lower f-stop but if you are looking for bokeh type shots, they can be tricky.

I would also add that shooting with a program mode greatly helps with kids cause at least you don't have to worry about the exposure and just concentrate on the focus. Of course Canon has their AE1 but that camera is getting oddly expensive. I heard the Minolta X-700 is pretty much as good and a tad cheaper.

I have to say, shooting kids on film is a nightmare. That is where autofocus is something that great helps cause they are constantly moving at all times. Of course you can shoot with a lower f-stop but if you are looking for bokeh type shots, they can be tricky.

I would also add that shooting with a program mode greatly helps with kids cause at least you don't have to worry about the exposure and just concentrate on the focus. Of course Canon has their AE1 but that camera is getting oddly expensive. I heard the Minolta X-700 is pretty much as good and a tad cheaper.
The prices for AE1s are :sick: some shops want almost 400 now

Yea I figured it would be tough. But thought I would try. Honestly not aiming for perfection just really capturing moments.

I will look into that Minolta as it seems like it has autofocus.

I started off with nikon stuff. My first camera was a nikon fe, they are about 120-150 bucks (way back they were about 80 bucks) . It uses the f mount system so you have a very wide range of lenses from the 70s all the way up to the 00’s.

Another one i have that is still my go to is the n2000 . Its a lil faster, self loading and self winding, those go for under 100 all day. Same f mount for lenses too
Thanks! I will look into these. Since the Nikon I have has a lens already (50mm) it might be wise to try to stick with it. Was thinking of maybe just getting a 35mm lens as well. The Camera I have auto focuses and has minimal settings so it is really easy to use.

Thank you andretti andretti and Fong$tarr Fong$tarr .

I did go into a little YouTuber rabbit hole on film cameras but everything they talk about is like 700$ or more to even get a sniff at.

Yea I figured it would be tough. But thought I would try. Honestly not aiming for perfection just really capturing moments.

I will look into that Minolta as it seems like it has autofocus.

Thanks! I will look into these. Since the Nikon I have has a lens already (50mm) it might be wise to try to stick with it. Was thinking of maybe just getting a 35mm lens as well. The Camera I have auto focuses and has minimal settings so it is really easy to use.

Thank you andretti andretti and Fong$tarr Fong$tarr .

I did go into a little YouTuber rabbit hole on film cameras but everything they talk about is like 700$ or more to even get a sniff at.
No problem. More than likely they are talking about medium format stuff. Id start with 35mm like you already are and go from there. That stuff is more pricey than 35mm and you dont want to start off blowing cash on all that in the beginning before you learn what you really want

This is my film collection:

Craigslist really will be your friend to find some gems. I am even that guy now that goes to estate sales. I got a Canon AE1 with two lenses for $300 and the body is practically brand new. I also got an Olympus 0M2 for $70 with two lenses also as well as a Yachica D for $200. It’s sort of fun finding all these cameras.

Alright Andretti. I'll be joining you in the Mamiya RB67 gang. I am about to get one today for $425 with a 90mm and a 180mm lens. Some guy locally put it on Craigslist and it is under the market price from what I see on Ebay anyways. Just need to test it to see if there are any light leaks since he said the camera hasn't been shot with in a long time. I think this is the last film camera I buy for a while.

Back
Top Bottom