The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

^ aperature is the size of the opening for the diaphram of the lens. small aperature = wide opening = shallow focus. large aperature = small opening = infinite focus. shallow focus is when you get those pics where something in the foreground/background is in focus and everything else is out of focus. infinite focus is when everything in the foreground and background is in focus. shutter speed determines how long the shutter is open. on my cam (35mm 70s era) goes from 1 sec to 1/1000th of a sec.

with both, they each let light into the camera. with a small aperature its letting more light in than a large aperature. and a 1/1000th speed is letting less light than a 1 sec shutter speed. so during the day, you can use a fast shutter speed with a small aperature to get focus/out of focus. but if you want to slow the shutter speed you will have to increase the aperature to compensate for more light being let in with the slower shutter speed. with night shots you will have to use a smaller aperature and a slower shutter speed (or even bulb) to compensate for the lack of light entering the camera.

with my cam, the aperature is on the lens itself so i can open and close it and watch the diaphram open and close. to understand these a lil more you kinda have to play with your cam more in the daytime and at night. i may not be 100% correct, but this is what i learned from a photography class i took years back and taking pics with my 35mm.

small aperature

large aperature

its correct. the first one is 2.4, the second is 22.

small aperature = large opening = shallow focus
large aperature = small opening = infinite focus

Originally Posted by 1000xCartel

Originally Posted by jcinista

See this is what I mean. How did you get that girl to participate in youre shots??

Bro dont you have girl friends who you can shoot, start there, dont be shy and ask, most of the time they dont mind, all girls love being infront of the camera.. If you want models search for them. Model Mayhem is a great start. Go out and meet people, cant be a photographer and want to shoot models and women if youre shy

That might be a little confusing, regarding the aperture discussion.

The SMALLER the f stop #, the LARGER the opening
The LARGER the f stop #, the SMALLER the opening.

Hope that helps...

Originally Posted by dstylezs

See this is what I mean. How did you get that girl to participate in youre shots??

Bro dont you have girl friends who you can shoot, start there, dont be shy and ask, most of the time they dont mind, all girls love being infront of the camera.. If you want models search for them. Model Mayhem is a great start. Go out and meet people, cant be a photographer and want to shoot models and women if youre shy

Thanks for the advice man. I just wasn't sure if the models were hired, friends, or just randoms who didn't mind.

Originally Posted by doosta45

its correct. the first one is 2.4, the second is 22.

small aperature f-stop number = large opening = shallow focus depth of field
large aperature f-stop number = small opening = infinite greater focus depth of field
Correction: The word aperture refers to the opening, so large opening = large aperture. What I believe you're referring to is the f-stop number.

Dmvbatman, check the basic guide I posted on the first page.

I couldn't think of the term fstop when I was typing that last night. So I just typed it as my thought process goes as I'm taking a picture.

Thanks for the correction.

Thanks for the advice man. I just wasn't sure if the models were hired, friends, or just randoms who didn't mind.

Its all in practicing, the more you practice the more comfortable you are.. Start with your friends, get a feel for it and go from there

A couple of shots with my nifty fifty:

5123587805_1818ca5628_z.jpg

5124189462_333b1c8150_z.jpg

5120970567_6f320f17f6_z.jpg

5118704678_e7e162d89e_z.jpg

5114764239_36e8025f24_z.jpg

Shouts to xXOkAYplaYerXx for being in the last shot
laugh.gif

thanks for the advice everyone...I guess i'll be shooting with the aperature on a small scale alot, since that gather's more light....

wonder what's the big aperature number are for? hardly no light get's in it......i thought in order for you to get beautiful pictures you would need awesome lighting, and with a big aperture number or f-stop number you won't achieve that right?

Originally Posted by Dmvbatman

thanks for the advice everyone...I guess i'll be shooting with the aperature on a small scale alot, since that gather's more light....

wonder what's the big aperature number are for? hardly no light get's in it......i thought in order for you to get beautiful pictures you would need awesome lighting, and with a big aperture number or f-stop number you won't achieve that right?

Long exposure shots. Granted this is probably a bad example but I shot this at F/22:

weekend-leftovers-3.jpg

Holy moly youre sucha simp.

Its all in practicing, the more you practice the more comfortable you are.. Start with your friends, get a feel for it and go from there

Good looking out man. Where do you keep you're album?

since this is a photograpy thread i need some advice...I want to start taking pics as the ones above, which would be the best camera to start off with?

Back
Top Bottom