The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

What size is the print? That price doesn't seem too bad when you factor in time, cost of film, cost to develop film, and cost of printing. That stuff adds up fairly quickly.

It's a 24X30. I know a shop here in SF and I think they do prints on the paper he did for about a $100 or so. I think what made the price high is he told me he would only print 5 max in that size. I know there has to be some sort of profit to make it worth his while. Honestly I am not even mad considering this should be considered an art piece. When I go to some shows here in the SF and I see say Mike Giant hand drawn art or Usugrow art for $1000-1500 for a 11X16. If I had cash to burn, I'd be buying that stuff left and right but condsidering I am sort of on budget, a $400 1 out of 5 photo isn't that bad at all. Well.....I guess that is relative to the person.

This was my first time really using my camera(d3100) I took a million pictures at the porsche museum and at the festival and etc ill be in europe the next 3 years so tryna get better all advice is welcomed. These were the best pictures in my eyes I did some editing like cropping etc in lightroom and did one black and white conversion.

Also one of the photos of the break dancing how do i take pics to freeze the motion so there is no blur?

Also shot all photos raw im guessin the program converted them anyway in advance thanks for the improvement tips niketalk
smokin.gif

http://www.flickr.com/photos/96649838@N07/ MY FLICKR
To freeze motion, you increase your shutter speed. Increase your aperture to bring it more light which then you increase to a faster shutter speed.

My girlfriend just got me a Sony NEX 5R and I'm looking for a simple minimalist camera bag, preferably a sling. I have the Chrome Niko Sling and Kata Ligh Tri 310 in mind. If anybody has any other suggestions I'm open to them. Thanks

thanks bro
i emailed one the sponsors, hoping they need a photog, and attached my portfolio and thats about it

Good to know. I think I am just going to go fishing for events like that and see if I can get a pass. I guess sometimes it can be that easy.

Last edited:
Good to know. I think I am just going to go fishing for events like that and see if I can get a pass. I guess sometimes it can be that easy.

yeah haha.. just start emailing every sponsor at the poster and you might get lucky to get a media/photog pass

Bk bridge the other day!

Bklyn Bridge by imhigh2often, on Flickr

going to shoot the golden gate bridge tomorrow. i know we have a lot of bay area NTers who have gotten some great shots of it, any advice? i'm planning on going to battery spencer (if anyones familiar with it) around 5, sticking around til the sun sets

in order to get the 35mm look on a APS-C Sensor cam i'll have to cop like a 18mm lens right?

isn't the crop ratio like 1.6x the focal length

Gentleman...let me say this...The TRUE love of photography is independent of the equipment used to produce it...it's all about the image. Sure some devices are more capable of capturing details than others, but the essence is the subject not the machine or the individual who snapped the likeness . 'Tis the appeal of lomography or at least the replication of it. Is why vintage photography possesses so much charm and depth.
This thread has really gotten off and running compared to before... good stuff!

I agree with your statement "it's all about the image"... with that being said, for certain types of photography, shooting with equipment that makes you a "snob" photographer can prove to be really convenient. I don't say necessary, but more so convenient in that it pretty much ensures crucial moments will be captured... wedding photography being the best example.

That's not to say that fantastic wedding moments have not been captured with a film camera, where behind that camera surely stood a photographer with a great understanding of composition, lighting, etc... but just because now-a-days photographers do decide to roll with extensive set-ups doesn't mean that they should be knocked on and considered "snobs" incapable of taking a good shot without a full frame camera and $3,000 lens.

Here is a picture I took with a plastic film camera that I bought for $2... I thought I lost the negative but I found it recently
nthat.gif

Definitely going to get it enlarged once I start my photo class next fall... I'm dreading taking the class because of all the pointless (to me) assignments I'm going to have to complete, I'm just trying to have access to a darkroom!
nthat.gif

going to shoot the golden gate bridge tomorrow. i know we have a lot of bay area NTers who have gotten some great shots of it, any advice? i'm planning on going to battery spencer (if anyones familiar with it) around 5, sticking around til the sun sets

I think 5pm is to early. Sun is setting way letter now and if you want that twilight hour, I think it is around 8pm now. I mean you can go early if you want some day shots (even though the sun is going down at that time) but I would honestly go later just so you don't have to sit there and wait so long. Also to even get long exposures, you want it to get pretty dark anyways, unless you have an ND filter.

I think 5pm is to early. Sun is setting way letter now and if you want that twilight hour, I think it is around 8pm now. I mean you can go early if you want some day shots (even though the sun is going down at that time) but I would honestly go later just so you don't have to sit there and wait so long. Also to even get long exposures, you want it to get pretty dark anyways, unless you have an ND filter.

Agreed. I'd go around 7:30. On another note has anyone ordered batteries from china off ebay? They're pretty much the same thing as the ones sold in the US but a few bucks cheaper? Anyone know of a site where I can get a legit new one for 30 bucks?

Last edited:
Agreed. I'd go around 7:30. On another note has anyone ordered batteries from china off ebay? They're pretty much the same thing as the ones sold in the US but a few bucks cheaper? Anyone know of a site where I can get a legit new one for 30 bucks?
For a legit aftermarket battery, go with STK (Sterlingtek). I read up on it and a lot of pros agree that this one works the most often than other aftermarket ones, and bought myself 2, and they work fine. Got them $12.99 each off of amazon, buy 2 to get super shipper savings, so you dont have to pay $20+ for one battery, when you can buy 2 for around $25. http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=stk  not sure which kind you need, I have a T3i so I bought the LP-E8.

Their website is kinda sketch, so thats why I bought through Amazon. http://sterlingtek.com/dicaba.html  But they are legit, you can research them up.

Last edited:
For a legit aftermarket battery, go with STK (Sterlingtek). I read up on it and a lot of pros agree that this one works the most often than other aftermarket ones, and bought myself 2, and they work fine. Got them $12.99 each off of amazon, buy 2 to get super shipper savings, so you dont have to pay $20+ for one battery, when you can buy 2 for around $25. http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=stk
 not sure which kind you need, I have a T3i so I bought the LP-E8.
Their website is kinda sketch, so thats why I bought through Amazon. http://sterlingtek.com/dicaba.html
ir

But they are legit, you can research them up.

Good stuff. Seems like there's only 1 left for the D3100 at $25 but that will have to do. The OEM charger can be used to recharge it correct?

Also does anyone know how to achieve this effect straight out of the camera or is it a matter of using photoshop and messing with the fish-eye options.

just got an ND filter so i was going to try some long exposures while there's still daylight, but yea the sun doesnt set until 830 so i plan on being there for a while. i'll post pics tonight or tomorrow

Also does anyone know how to achieve this effect straight out of the camera or is it a matter of using photoshop and messing with the fish-eye options.
to do it in camera you need a fisheye lens. they make screw on fisheye filters too. if you just use the options in photoshop you won't get a true fisheye effect because you won't get the 180* field of view

Last edited:
just got an ND filter so i was going to try some long exposures while there's still daylight, but yea the sun doesnt set until 830 so i plan on being there for a while. i'll post pics tonight or tomorrow
to do it in camera you need a fisheye lens. they make screw on fisheye filters too. if you just use the options in photoshop you won't get a true fisheye effect because you won't get the 180* field of view

Gotcha. Looking forward to seeing your shots.

don't need a fish eye for that, just an ultrawide angle lens to give you the distortion. Pretty sure a fish eye would have more distortion than that photo.

Back
Top Bottom