The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

clinton-1.jpg

This is really just a test shot (and something silly) but I spent about $300 on a budget flash setup and they just came in. Actually one flash isn't firing on me so I have to return that but so far, this has really opened some ideas to shoot differently finally. I get to shoot what I ultimately love.......which is skateboard photography. I can finally even do the occasional scenic engagement type photo which is omething I need to start doing even for future blog stuff that I plan on doing.

Lol Mine ain't guarding sheeeeeeeiiii....  He talks a good game when someones at the door but hell bolt down stairs and bark/howl from a distance instead of investigating himself.

What setup did you purchase?

I got 2 Yongnuo YN-560 III. These are the generic flashes that are supposed to be a real bang for your buck (even though one of them came broken). It was $75 a piece and these are the newer ones that have the built in receivers. I got a Yongnuo 603 trigger as well which was like $35 and a Manfrotto flash stand that ran about $80 and the head unit was $30. If any, I might get an umbrella or a softbox and I should be set. I might get a reflector depending on things but I think even with what I have now, I should be good. I really want to do some test shots at night but this stuf is a real pain to carry around.

wahts a good way to editing pics?

is it essential to always shoot in raw if i will start doing so. i never done any post processing/editing.

is there a good free program to start off with.

wahts a good way to editing pics?

is it essential to always shoot in raw if i will start doing so. i never done any post processing/editing.

is there a good free program to start off with.

I think a lot of people shoot raw but I am still not one of them for some reason. I just feel editing JPEGs are easier and RAW files on photoshop seem to lack color even though you get some minor detail in it. I think RAW is better for when you shoot outside and the clouds are over exposed from the sun but JPEGs imo are fine for the most part.

As far as editing programs, people here either use Lightroom or Photoshop. You can use this online photoshop version. If you are doing minor adjustments like contrast, saturation, etc, it's good enough to use. There really shouldn't be that much to editing photos aside from those minor things and perhaps correcting white balance.

http://pixlr.com/editor/

I think a lot of people shoot raw but I am still not one of them for some reason. I just feel editing JPEGs are easier and RAW files on photoshop seem to lack color even though you get some minor detail in it. I think RAW is better for when you shoot outside and the clouds are over exposed from the sun but JPEGs imo are fine for the most part.

As far as editing programs, people here either use Lightroom or Photoshop. You can use this online photoshop version. If you are doing minor adjustments like contrast, saturation, etc, it's good enough to use. There really shouldn't be that much to editing photos aside from those minor things and perhaps correcting white balance.

thanks man!

I got 2 Yongnuo YN-560 III. These are the generic flashes that are supposed to be a real bang for your buck (even though one of them came broken). It was $75 a piece and these are the newer ones that have the built in receivers. I got a Yongnuo 603 trigger as well which was like $35 and a Manfrotto flash stand that ran about $80 and the head unit was $30. If any, I might get an umbrella or a softbox and I should be set. I might get a reflector depending on things but I think even with what I have now, I should be good. I really want to do some test shots at night but this stuf is a real pain to carry around.

Glad to see you added some flashes to your setup. I'm not familiar with the III's but my II's hold me down. I would suggest softboxes if you want to put out the money. I was using an umbrella until it fell during a shoot and broke plus it wasn't a great help for me doing shots of my kicks and other pickups.

Try a Colorchecker Passport. That might solve your RAW woes. I'm not too sure how you can get it to work for night shots but for everything else it allows you to set a camera profile for your camera with it's software which will find the Passport and shift the colors to their actual representations.

What setup did you purchase?

Thanks man. I am thinking about getting serious with learning. Oh and I am Reigning_Champ on IG. I asked you about posting in the NT thread when you announced your Hundreds opportunity. lol

@khankussionz I actually never put two and two together with the umbrella and shooting outdoors. Someone else suggested a softbox as well. I guess I might get that. The stand I got is definitely not anchored and almost fell indoors. Would suck to break the flash over a gust of wind. Thanks for the tip.

Thanks man. I am thinking about getting serious with learning. Oh and I am Reigning_Champ on IG. I asked you about posting in the NT thread when you announced your Hundreds opportunity. lol

Oh yeah.....no doubt man. I;ll add you up right now.

@khankussionz I actually never put two and two together with the umbrella and shooting outdoors. Someone else suggested a softbox as well. I guess I might get that. The stand I got is definitely not anchored and almost fell indoors. Would suck to break the flash over a gust of wind. Thanks for the tip.

Anchor the stand with something. Sandbags are common but I carry so much gear in my camera bag I just lay it across the legs on my stand. I want to get the Apollo Orb but think I'm going to buy modifiers for my Alien Bees first. Yes I am a gear **** haha. To be honest with you I am starting to enjoy the quality of my work but I feel disadvantaged because I'm not shooting Full Frame with a 70-200mm because that look is what I'm trying to achieve.

Anchor the stand with something. Sandbags are common but I carry so much gear in my camera bag I just lay it across the legs on my stand. I want to get the Apollo Orb but think I'm going to buy modifiers for my Alien Bees first. Yes I am a gear **** haha. To be honest with you I am starting to enjoy the quality of my work but I feel disadvantaged because I'm not shooting Full Frame with a 70-200mm because that look is what I'm trying to achieve.

Sorry for being an idiot but have you posted pics on here with strobe work? I only remember Quickster and dude never posts no more.

Oh yeah.....no doubt man. I;ll add you up right now.
oh damn ... I guess I haven't posted anything with strobes? :frown: 

I guess I'm not memorable .. lol

Don't really post in here. jabbarwhitephoto on instagram is me

Oh....yeah....you asked me the question today. Yeah, I seen your work. Good stuff.

oh damn ... I guess I haven't posted anything with strobes? :frown: 

I guess I'm not memorable .. lol

Come on man. I know other do it but there are so many damn names and photo, I just have a hard time putting things together.

Maybe you guys can help me with this then. One of my Yongnuo's isn't firing a flash. I literally opened it up from the box, slapped it on the hotshoe and everything seems to be working but when I fire a shot, no flash comes out. Is this faulty or is there something I am doing wrong? I have brand new batteries and tried it on the hotshoe and as an external and on my Canon M and it still won't work.

Maybe you guys can help me with this then. One of my Yongnuo's isn't firing a flash. I literally opened it up from the box, slapped it on the hotshoe and everything seems to be working but when I fire a shot, no flash comes out. Is this faulty or is there something I am doing wrong? I have brand new batteries and tried it on the hotshoe and as an external and on my Canon M and it still won't work.

Do you have it in the right mode?

Oh....yeah....you asked me the question today. Yeah, I seen your work. Good stuff.
Come on man. I know other do it but there are so many damn names and photo, I just have a hard time putting things together.

They are known to be faulty on delivery in some cases. If you can return it, do it ASAP.

Had one die on me after a few uses
but still love the yongnuos

Back
Top Bottom