The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

Originally Posted by NayokoChan

just a few photos of the snow in philly (mainly around my campus with center city thrown in).

4344229816_6f6cd2a982.jpg

4343492987_44d046befc.jpg

4348551416_37148c77eb.jpg

4347804523_c9c291f44a_b.jpg

nice shots. my fave is the last one. very beautiful.

Originally Posted by That guy Max

Can anyone recommend me a good bag?

Preferably a messenger style bag. not too big and not too expensive(less than $100).

I would like it to carry the following:

Gripped Canon 40d with Sigma 70-200 2.8 mounted
Canon Nifty 50mm
and maybe a 430ex speedlite.
Filters, pens, extra lens caps etc.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Keep shooting NT...
You'd have to spend a little bit more, but everyone rants and raves about the Crumpler 6MDH, and it's meant to hold EXACTLY what you're describing. You could probably find a cheaper/slightly used one on the bay. Amazon product ASIN B001TIJZQC

EDIT:$104.98 shipped.
glasses.gif

Originally Posted by NikeAirsNCrispyTees

Can anyone recommend me a good bag?

Preferably a messenger style bag. not too big and not too expensive(less than $100).

I would like it to carry the following:

Gripped Canon 40d with Sigma 70-200 2.8 mounted
Canon Nifty 50mm
and maybe a 430ex speedlite.
Filters, pens, extra lens caps etc.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Keep shooting NT...
You'd have to spend a little bit more, but everyone rants and raves about the Crumpler 6MDH, and it's meant to hold EXACTLY what you're describing. You could probably find a cheaper/slightly used one on the bay. Amazon product ASIN B001TIJZQC

EDIT:$104.98 shipped.
glasses.gif

He said GRIPPED and a Sigma 70-200 MOUNTED. Even my 7 Million Dollar Home isn't tall enough to fit that. I use a ThinkTank Urban Disguise 35 (or you could try the new UD30 which is the same bag without the laptop compartment) for that. It can fit a gripped 5D2 or a 1D3 with a 70-200 mounted, a speedlite and 2 prime lenses. ThinkTanks are fairly pricey but you won't be disappointed by the quality of the materials. This is the brand that photojournalists trust around the world. The only drawback with the bag is the zipper opening. If you want to access that 40D + 70-200 combo faster, you should check out the Lowepro Toploader 75 AW and attach lens pouches as needed.

I need a few tips and pointers guys...

Earlier in this thread I said I was using my brother's old SLR camera, it comes with a 35-105mm f/3.5-4.5 lens. What kind of shots can I take with it? When I take macro shots, the lens does a superb job focusing on the object, how can I get this effect on larger scale shots where the foreground will be in focus with the BG slightly blurred, I don't want a bokeh effect either where the BG is impossible to make out, but I'd like the foreground object to stand out a bit more against the BG. Should I be using manual focus or can the AF do the job I'm asking it to do? I've been taking a couple of landscape and nature shots, not really shooting people for now.

Any tips will help, thank you.

When you say "large scale" I assume you're talking about larger subjects that don't require a close focusing distance, correct? To isolate your subject, you need a fast or large aperture lens (smaller f/ number). Your largest aperture is only available at the 35mm end and 3.5 may be too small to get a clear isolation. The only other thing you can do is to get close to your subject because the shorter the focusing distance the shallower the depth of field. The ideal thing to do is either get a fast prime or fast telephoto.

Originally Posted by mjbetch

Originally Posted by AirPhilippines

Originally Posted by mjbetch

anyone have any wallpaper sized 1440 x 900 or larger shots of LA or downtown LA? that would be greatly appreciated <3
If you can tell me how to host my photos bigger than a large size on flickr without losing IQ I have 3 for you.

haha! i think all you have to do is upload the original photo, or the photo with the size you want and that's about it.
Really?All I can see is square,thumb,small,medium, and large. The large is still small [font=Arial, Helvetica]at (1024 x 683)[/font]

Originally Posted by eeibaby

Originally Posted by Mr Fongstarr

Originally Posted by eeibaby

That's a really good idea, although I'm not trying to spend an high amount because she's not that much of a photographer. so either 500-600 is max, or should I just go for what lazybonejone suggested?

It's all preference really. I am not sure if he replied to get an Olympus because of your budget restrictions but just as far as the masses goes, Nikon and Canon are the most used. Doesn't necessarily mean that they are better but they do have more to offer as far as lenses go or even other accessories. I would say go for what he did say and get a Canon XS or Nikon D40. Those are good entry level cameras and should be within your budget.

Here is one on E-bay for $329. Not sure if they are legit but they have a 100% positive feeback:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Nikon-D40-w-18-...wItemQQptZDigital_Cameras?hash=item414cf6c259
You've got 3 hours on this one: Nikon D40x kit. It gives you 4 more MP so if you want to do a big print, you can. More than likely, the extra 4MP will be used to cropping images and retaining IQ. I'm going to suggest NOT going Olympus if she has an interest in pursuing photography farther than a couple of months or just using it like a point-and-shoot camera. The reason I recommend that is because Nikon and Canon have excellent glass and have been doing it extremely well for decades. If she decides she wants another lens, she'll be more likely to find it, and the lens be nearly perfect, by going with Canon or Nikon.
Thanks a lot guys, although I missed out on those I will definitely keep an eye out on ebay

I mentioned Oly for budget reasons.  I have a Canon T1i now, but that's a bit more than what you want to spend.  Here is what you can do.  Go to KEH.com, and buy a broken film SLR for about $10, any Rebel would do.  Call Canon's Loyalty Program (just google it), and trade in your KEH SLR for a Canon XS for $359 + $10 shipping + Applicable tax. 

Originally Posted by Rap Sizzle

He said GRIPPED and a Sigma 70-200 MOUNTED. Even my 7 Million Dollar Home isn't tall enough to fit that. I use a ThinkTank Urban Disguise 35 (or you could try the new UD30 which is the same bag without the laptop compartment) for that. It can fit a gripped 5D2 or a 1D3 with a 70-200 mounted, a speedlite and 2 prime lenses. ThinkTanks are fairly pricey but you won't be disappointed by the quality of the materials. This is the brand that photojournalists trust around the world. The only drawback with the bag is the zipper opening. If you want to access that 40D + 70-200 combo faster, you should check out the Lowepro Toploader 75 AW and attach lens pouches as needed.

Really? My mistake. I read a review a while back when I was looking for a bag to better fit my D40x gripped that said it would hold a zoom attached to a gripped body. I've never actually seen one in person, though. My mistake.

any thoughts or reviews about the new Canon T2i camera?.. im thinking about selling my D3000 to make this little upgrade? anyone pre order it yet?

any thoughts or reviews about the new Canon T2i camera?.. im thinking about selling my D3000 to make this little upgrade? anyone pre order it yet?

^^^It's too new to say but the video has been improved over it's predecessor the T1i. If you jump ship from a D3000 to a T2i, it will be an upgrade cause you get more features but don't expect a big jump in picture quality.

Anyone wanna loan me $2,500?
nerd.gif

canon_06.JPG

Currently on eBay.
i'd do anything for this setup.. that .95 aperture is KILLER. i've loved this lens for a long time and i hope to one day own it.

here are a few people on flickr who use it.. the bokeh is
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

blur like no other, so sexy.
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

This is the second gymnastics meet that I've done but I feel like it went much better than the first one.

4354927613_6323b951d0.jpg

4355673552_e2bc71bbf9.jpg

4355673640_fb7814afde.jpg

4355673762_4765105a88.jpg

4354928155_018f50fb45.jpg

**bonus** this guy dislocated his ankle on the first flip combination of his Floor Exercise routine.:cry:
4355673840_06c7539af7.jpg

yea that f/0.95 with a EF mount adapter might take some time getting used to. If the focus isn't spot on shooting wide open at a close distance consider it blurred. Also curious as to how sharp that lens is @ f/0.95, I know the F/1 was soft wide open.

NayokoChan: Great shots, but that last one needs to be in a spoiler! UGH!
thanks! and i'll try to remember that for next time, but i don't actually know how to make something a spoiler.
embarassed.gif

Back
Top Bottom