The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

okay everyone, I'm doing some save the date photos today of my friend and her fiancé. i think i pretty much got everything covered. any last minute tips that anyone could possibly share with me. 

im shooting here:

BOKEHHH!!! *Kai Wong from DigitalRev voice*

I always felt bokeh really makes the shot when it comes to intimate shoots like that. Another tip... I was watching a video on couples and make sure you're watching hand placement. What I mean is there is a thin line between a hand on the chest that looks like it's resting on the chest and a hand that looks like it's keeping the other person from getting too close. Hands should appear to wrap around whatever it is that it's touching versus laying on it because it becomes more embracing and intimate. So a hand on the neck should sort of cup the neck to make it look like it's holding versus touching.

Did a little painting on my white infrareds.

Just ordered a Wacom Intuos Pro tablet. Can't wait for that to come in so it'll speed up the retouching process.

Anyone on here use model mayhem? About to open my portfolio up to portraiture and need some models. Good or bad idea?

Last edited:
Anyone on here use model mayhem? About to open my portfolio up to portraiture and need some models. Good or bad idea?

I've used it in the past. I had my best results come from online casting calls. There are some that don't belong on the site but at the end of the day, it is a site for you to network with other professionals. A lot of models in my area are fine with trade work. You can also find MUA and stylists that are willing to help out to help build their portfolio as well. Give it a shot.

Last edited:

Yes, I've used it when I first started out to build my portfolio. Like locobaby said, there's A LOT of  so-called "models" that don't belong on the site. I used it to find some decent models, makeup artists, and stylists, to build a solid portfolio then I quickly moved off the site to find better talent.

^How much do you guys usually pay the models? Never used a modeling site before so I don't know how it works if you pay the model directly or deal with an agency.

i just bought a camera and i was just going to use it more for pictures of my son and family, then meet people through IG and it just took off from there. 

What camera would you suggest for a beginner?

There's an abundance of choices out there for beginners. I started off with a Nikon D3200 which you can get a used one for under $500 with a kit lens if you look around. The D3100 is even cheaper but still for a beginner a great camera. There's also the D5100 which can be bought for around $300 with the kit lens but it doesn't stack up as well as the 3200. Most of your money is going to go into the glass so keep that in mind.

As far as Canon goes I think most people would suggest going with the Canon T2i or T3i. I don't have experience with those so can't speak for myself.

I'd suggest going with a brand in which you will stay with so that when you get the glass you can use it for the next body. Unless you're upgrading to full frame then some of the glass won't work. I think it goes

1. Photographer
2. Glass
3. Body

Right?

Last edited:
I have never paid for a Model, but I suppose my work has always spoken for itself. You will not get agency models unless you have a great portfolio or a high budget.

I normally have agencies send me new faces for shots but I must than likely decline unless is someone that catches my eye.

^How much do you guys usually pay the models? Never used a modeling site before so I don't know how it works if you pay the model directly or deal with an agency.
There's an abundance of choices out there for beginners. I started off with a Nikon D3200 which you can get a used one for under $500 with a kit lens if you look around. The D3100 is even cheaper but still for a beginner a great camera. There's also the D5100 which can be bought for around $300 with the kit lens but it doesn't stack up as well as the 3200. Most of your money is going to go into the glass so keep that in mind.

As far as Canon goes I think most people would suggest going with the Canon T2i or T3i. I don't have experience with those so can't speak for myself.

I'd suggest going with a brand in which you will stay with so that when you get the glass you can use it for the next body. Unless you're upgrading to full frame then some of the glass won't work. I think it goes

1. Photographer
2. Glass
3. Body

Right?
I've never paid any models to do a shoot, it was usually for trade in the beginning. 

^No Problem. Good luck with your hunt.

I have never paid for a Model, but I suppose my work has always spoken for itself. You will not get agency models unless you have a great portfolio or a high budget.

I normally have agencies send me new faces for shots but I must than likely decline unless is someone that catches my eye.

Ahh Okay. I'm just trying to figure out how modelmayhem works.

Went to the chicago flower and garden show a cpl weeks ago. Finally got some real use out of my 100mmL! Looking into getting some extension tubes soon since the flowers will be blooming in the spring.

Back
Top Bottom