The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

Naz what's your setup?

Nice pic brother.

Hod....your pics continue to inspire me. Had a somewhat ****** weekend and didn't feel like photoging. Bought to head out to do some now. :lol:

I keep forgetting to post up my images. Will do so later. Hopefully get some critiques.

What modes do you guys typically shoot on? Shutter Priority, Aperture Priority, Manual, etc?

What settings would be best to use these modes? for instance like street photography

What modes do you guys typically shoot on? Shutter Priority, Aperture Priority, Manual, etc?

What settings would be best to use these modes? for instance like street photography

I typically shoot in either manual or Av mode. I assume that shutter prioroty would be if you're trying to shoot movement in good lighting? I'm not too sure. I'm mostly shooting portraits and random stuff out here, so I have time to adjust my settings in manual. I've had my T4i for 2 years, but haven't really used it until a few months ago when I got my new lens. I still consider myself less than a beginner.

I got myself a tripod this Christmas. I went with the induro brand AT0413, and a Vanguard ballhead. I think I'm getting a Tiffen ND filter today. I'll post pics from my holidays later.

Also, have any of you guys taken photography lessons? I'm thinking about enrolling in a class or two. Is it worth it? Or maybe a really thorough series of photography learning videos on Youtube?

Naz what's your setup?

Nice pic brother.

Hod....your pics continue to inspire me. Had a somewhat ****** weekend and didn't feel like photoging. Bought to head out to do some now. :lol:

I keep forgetting to post up my images. Will do so later. Hopefully get some critiques.

Using a T2i with a Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 right now. Really want a 5D MKII but can't afford it. Maybe one day ...

If you're on the street, walking around I'd use AV.

I typically shoot in either manual or Av mode. I assume that shutter prioroty would be if you're trying to shoot movement in good lighting? I'm not too sure. I'm mostly shooting portraits and random stuff out here, so I have time to adjust my settings in manual. I've had my T4i for 2 years, but haven't really used it until a few months ago when I got my new lens. I still consider myself less than a beginner.

I got myself a tripod this Christmas. I went with the induro brand AT0413, and a Vanguard ballhead. I think I'm getting a Tiffen ND filter today. I'll post pics from my holidays later.

Also, have any of you guys taken photography lessons? I'm thinking about enrolling in a class or two. Is it worth it? Or maybe a really thorough series of photography learning videos on Youtube?

I took an intro class to fulfill a transfer requirement. Was basically stuff you can look up online :lol: .

Personally, I never thought taking a class for an art was a good idea since your photos need to please one person - the instructor. But who's to say your photo turned out well or not? Unless they have an open mind or something ...

Last edited:
Anyone here calibrate their monitor(s)? My edits are fine on my MB but when I few them on my iphone 5/IG they are very dull, so I end up re-editing the image with vscocam. Very tedious

Hey guys, photography noob here.

I'm here to get some recommendations for a point and shoot, wide angle camera.

I'd mainly use it while traveling so I'm trying to keep it rather compact, and I'd being shooting sight-seeing type pictures as well as sporting events.  I'm trying to get that GoPro, wide angle type picture out of said camera.

Budget, ideally, is something less than $400.

Please and thank you.  

I took an intro class to fulfill a transfer requirement. Was basically stuff you can look up online :lol: .

Personally, I never thought taking a class for an art was a good idea since your photos need to please one person - the instructor. But who's to say your photo turned out well or not? Unless they have an open mind or something ...

really you take an art class to 1) learn technique(s) 2) get used to critique 3) to be around folk that also in want of learning; formally, in a focused way...that being in the case, most place have photography clubs/groups that could serve a similar, if maybe not as focused or formal, purpose...

Hey guys, photography noob here.

I'm here to get some recommendations for a point and shoot, wide angle camera.

I'd mainly use it while traveling so I'm trying to keep it rather compact, and I'd being shooting sight-seeing type pictures as well as sporting events.  I'm trying to get that GoPro, wide angle type picture out of said camera.

Budget, ideally, is something less than $400.

Please and thank you.  

the sony rx100 series is just about the best point & shoot available, you probably can find both the rx100 and the rx100 mk II for around $400...very capable camera, but it is only 24mm at the wide end which is wide but not nearly as wide as a gopro which is supposed to be around 12-16mm (it is also a fisheye, so it has an exaggerated look that not too many P&S cameras can get); it is quite a big difference...if you want the gopro look $400 will get you a silver edition gopro 4 w/an lcd screen, or you could save a bit of $$$ (you could maybe get one of those for around $180-$250) & rock with a gopro 3 or 3+ black edition and use your phone as a screen (the sony qx series, specifically the qx10 & qx100, may also be an option but they're not the most user friendly from what i've read)...

some fall edits:

fall by me_myself_n_eye, on Flickr

shaky streaks by me_myself_n_eye, on Flickr

autumn days by me_myself_n_eye, on Flickr

really you take an art class to 1) learn technique(s) 2) get used to critique 3) to be around folk that also in want of learning; formally, in a focused way...that being in the case, most place have photography clubs/groups that could serve a similar, if maybe not as focused or formal, purpose...
the sony rx100 series is just about the best point & shoot available, you probably can find both the rx100 and the rx100 mk II for around $400...very capable camera, but it is only 24mm at the wide end which is wide but not nearly as wide as a gopro which is supposed to be around 12-16mm (it is also a fisheye, so it has an exaggerated look that not too many P&S cameras can get); it is quite a big difference...if you want the gopro look $400 will get you a silver edition gopro 4 w/an lcd screen, or you could save a bit of $$$ (you could maybe get one of those for around $180-$250) & rock with a gopro 3 or 3+ black edition and use your phone as a screen (the sony qx series, specifically the qx10 & qx100, may also be an option but they're not the most user friendly from what i've read)...

some fall edits:

fall by me_myself_n_eye, on Flickr

shaky streaks by me_myself_n_eye, on Flickr

autumn days by me_myself_n_eye, on Flickr

You got to show your before and after with your photos. Love you balance of the exposures with your photos. It's like not HDR but still shows the background and foreground.

You got to show your before and after with your photos. Love you balance of the exposures with your photos. It's like not HDR but still shows the background and foreground.

no prob, funny you mention hdr because i did actually shoot multiple exposures to try to get everything correctly exposed thinking i may try that for the tree images but after playing with the files it was way easier to use the best exposure for the sky that had enough visible shadow detail on the trees, with all the dynamic range in the raw files...i'm probably pushing these a bit too far but i'm still trying to figure out things; it definitely helps to shoot raw though!

the three in question, before the edits:

basically exposing for the tree got me something like this, the sky is totally blown out & i knew i wanted to get the clouds in for the drama (if i had an nd filter for the lens i used i probably would have tried a longer exposure using a tripod):

here is an example of where it's not quite working because i feel both the color & shadows are pushed too far, so everything is looking kinda washed out, and not as effective as it could be

tree leaves by me_myself_n_eye, on Flickr

I just bought canon t5i with 18-135 lens
I'm just a beginner wanting to learn photograpy here is my first trial pic

Anyone have that Canon 10-18mm?  I think with that, the 24mm pancake, the kit lens for the t3i and the telephoto lens that came as a bonus I should be set for a while in terms of glass
laugh.gif

Nice man. Just seems like none of your photos are effected by the edits. I even shot some RAW files and tried some things but it looked like it was purposely edited.....if that make sense. Maybe I just need better editing skills. Haha.

Nice stuff though. Need to go out and shoot some stuff like that.

Nice man. Just seems like none of your photos are effected by the edits. I even shot some RAW files and tried some things but it looked like it was purposely edited.....if that make sense. Maybe I just need better editing skills. Haha.

Nice stuff though. Need to go out and shoot some stuff like that.

you're probably being overly critical of yourself in that regard, you just have to get used to editing the raw files; you can even shoot (raws + jpgs to mess around)...it is better to know what your camera is capable of when shooting raw and give that a bit of consideration on the images you take, which may be why you feel that way? but I would guess you've got your current routine/workflow of how you shoot & edit on fleek, #wheredotheycomeupwiththisstuff, and messing with the raw kinda throws you off a bit to where it isn't how you are used to things looking, you just gotta go all in and accept that you are going to think your photos suck for a minute until you find that groove...

I just bought canon t5i with 18-135 lens
I'm just a beginner wanting to learn photograpy here is my first trial pic

Good stuff man, just make sure to be persistent with using it

Yeah, I'm mainly interested in learning about how to manipulate lighting, mainly for portraiture, in order to get the kinds of photos that appease my taste. Is dropping a hunna for a 3 hour lecture really worth it... or do they recycle the same stuff I see on YT videos?

Some photos I took. I tried some stuff out in LR. I think these came out okay, but then again I don't quite have the eye for photography down yet. Btw, the photos that have been posted on this page are :smokin

Girl got me a Nikon D5300 for Christmas, but she payed almost $1K.

I want to return it and wait for a good deal that comes with so much stuff that I see pop up on slickdeals but I feel bad to have her return a gift.

It's not that I don't like the camera I honestly don't know much about DSLR I just wanted something good to take pics with and to take pics of my kicks and sell my collection, but knowing how much she paid for it and what I could have got for almost $1K irks me.

All she got was the camera and a one lens and a memory card and had to pay for carrying bag and something else.

My first DSLR and all my point and shoots were Canon, but reading in here some are saying no difference.

When I was going to buy one around Black Friday that was a great deal and came with so much stuff she shot it down and I don't understand why and it's pissing me off so much.

What to do... what to do!

Back
Top Bottom