The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

I like the idea of lists of places to shoot. I'm in Chicago...moved here last winter and didn't really shoot much at all in the city over the summer. Where are some good spots to shoot here? I've heard Adler is a great spot for the skyline but what are some other less busy locations?

Anyone know of any spots to shoot in San Diego? I am going to be there over the weekend and wanted to see if I can get some shots while I am out there. I googled some stuff and it seems to be mostly beaches but if there is anything I am missing, please let me know. Thanks.

Also saw this. New M3. I like how the M2 did nothing at all for Canon.

Canon-EOS-M3-mirrorless-camera.jpg

Potato Chip Rock.

M3 in black. Looks like it has a flip screen and a pop up flash. Wonder if the focus will be better. Would be cool if that flash part was a viewfinder like the Sony.

m3qgu1n.jpg
m3_backx2zuo.jpg

This is the reason I have not been shooting/posting much recently:

16253167679_de992ed29d_c.jpg

I bought a junker BMW for $1000 2 months ago that needed a ton of work. My dad and I have been doing all the work so far in our backyard. From bodywork to a brand new paint job. Cars/racing is the one thing that tops photography for me. I definitely knew I was going to get distracted if I bought it. Hopefully when I'm done with it in a week or two I'll get into car photography.

It's a 1991 BMW 318i convertible.

Clean e30! You just plan on racing it when you're finished with it or use it as a dd? Cleaned it up well!

^^ Gotta love the e30's, man. That thing is beautiful. Looking good so far!

Thanks man. I've always loved E30's, glad to finally have one.

Clean e30! You just plan on racing it when you're finished with it or use it as a dd? Cleaned it up well!

It'll most likely be my DD, but I have a hunch that it's not going to be my only one. I would love to stick a LS1 in an E30 haha, seems like too much fun.

Here is a progress thread if you want to check it out: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=344566

^^ Gotta love the e30's, man. That thing is beautiful. Looking good so far!

It'll most likely be my DD, but I have a hunch that it's not going to be my only one. I would love to stick a LS1 in an E30 haha, seems like too much fun.

Here is a progress thread if you want to check it out: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=344566

Haha the power would be insane with an LS1 in there. Nice work so far! Maybe once it's done I'll catch you roaming the streets of SF.

Thanks for the suggestions, much appreciated. I think the 8mm focal length appeals to me most, especially since I'm shooting APS-C. I can't seem to find the 8mm f/2.8 for Nikon F-mount though; it seems to be a mirrorless lens only. Closest I could find is an 8mm f/3.5. It's $259.00 with the auto focus chip and $229.00 without. For $30 I think I might just bite the bullet to be able to use focus confirm, auto-WB, and such. 

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/880774-REG/Bower_sly358ae_8mm_f_3_5_For_Nikon.html

#youwasright, i thought there was a f2.8 in the nikon mount but i was mistaken...i have a version of that lens for my mirrorless camera and it is pretty awesome!

Anyone know of any spots to shoot in San Diego? I am going to be there over the weekend and wanted to see if I can get some shots while I am out there. I googled some stuff and it seems to be mostly beaches but if there is anything I am missing, please let me know. Thanks.

never been to san diaaaago, but if you can swing a cheap tour it is a quick way to get some idea of a place generally and given gps image tagging on smartphones if you see interesting spots you can take a pic and find them later with ease...

#youwasright, i thought there was a f2.8 in the nikon mount but i was mistaken...i have a version of that lens for my mirrorless camera and it is pretty awesome!
Thanks again man. Ordered from B&H on Monday night and they offered free expedited shipping so the lens should be here tomorrow. I'm very excited to mess around with it. This Jersey weather is kinda brutal though. I don't know if I'm trying to voluntarily spend extended periods of time outside.

Great work man. Not 2 derail the thread but how much experienve do you have working on cars? Id love to be able to pull that off mysepf as a weekend project

[COLOR=#red]Sony A7II released with 5 axis steady shot built into the camera which allows for image stabilization for any lens you use. It works for Full HD vid recording as well.I figure with the metabones adapter and Leica adapter I'll have a full lens compatibility from Canon[, Nikon, Leica, and even the old Minolta lenses which is basically Sony A-Mount. I'm a Mirrorless camera convert, just like every other technology devices the next step is miniaturization...the camera world is just the slowest to adapt to that concept...at first you had to compromise and I use that word lightly with micro 4/3 and APS-C, but now Sony changed the game with the smaller yet still robust Mirrorless full frames.

I'm buying the A7II this summer as the full-frame companion to my a6000. I'll use my a6000 as my everyday every situation cam, and for fast motion type shoots with its 11fps with continuous focus speed, and my A7II for low light and landscape shoots. I've been garnering Interest with my photos taken of famous landmarks at Texas A&M to be blown up and mounted on canvas with frames. I've also been traveling by car all over the Southeast during school breaks getting some once in a lifetime photos. I'm ready to start monetizing my work./SIZE][/COLOR]

Last edited:
IM 6'7, I WANT TO TAKE FULL BODY PICS AND NOT HAVE THE CAMERA A MILE AWAY TO GET THE PIC, LOL!

WHAT TYPE OF LENS IS SUGGESTED??

IM 6'7, I WANT TO TAKE FULL BODY PICS AND NOT HAVE THE CAMERA A MILE AWAY TO GET THE PIC, LOL!

WHAT TYPE OF LENS IS SUGGESTED??
[COLOR=#red]
12MM Prime Pancake lens, especially if you aren't using a Full Frame because with the crop factor of 1.5 with an APS-C sensor it's going to be more zoomed than the lens states numerically...like a 50MM on a APS-C is really like 70MM...which is good when your trying to shoot far out, but up close not so much. [/COLOR]

Wide angle, turned vertical

OK COOL. ANY SPECIFIC LENS?

[COLOR=#red]
12MM Prime Pancake lens, especially if you aren't using a Full Frame because with the crop factor of 1.5 with an APS-C sensor it's going to be more zoomed than the lens states numerically...like a 50MM on a APS-C is really like 70MM...which is good when your trying to shoot far out, but up close not so much. [/COLOR]

OK THANKS, I WILL LOOK INTO THAT. IM SHOOTING WITH A D5200 BTW

bigslim773 bigslim773

If you have the kit lens, using it at 18mm should be enough. If you really need something wide:

Tamron 10-24
Sigma 10-20
Tokina 11-16
Nikon 10-24.

The first 3 are pretty inexpensive ($300-$400 range). The Nikon will run you about $800.

OK COOL. ANY SPECIFIC LENS?
OK THANKS, I WILL LOOK INTO THAT. IM SHOOTING WITH A D5200 BTW
[COLOR=#red]
I was wrong...there is no 12mm pancake prime lens. GOt confused when thinking about my E Mount lens :lol:

Ok it's better now that you have let me know which camera you have. This lens NIKKOR
10-24mm f/3.5-4.5G
is what would work great for you and your camera system. Even considering the crop factor it's still pretty wide and you even have some zoom.
[/COLOR]

bigslim773 bigslim773

If you have the kit lens, using it at 18mm should be enough. If you really need something wide:

Tamron 10-24
Sigma 10-20
Tokina 11-16
Nikon 10-24.

The first 3 are pretty inexpensive ($300-$400 range). The Nikon will run you about $800.

You can also try the 10.5 fisheye. Just fix the distortion in post.

bigslim773 bigslim773

Tamron 10-24
Sigma 10-20
Tokina 11-16
Nikon 10-24.

[COLOR=#red]
I was wrong...there is no 12mm pancake prime lens. GOt confused when thinking about my E Mount lens :lol:

Ok it's better now that you have let me know which camera you have. This lens NIKKOR
10-24mm f/3.5-4.5G
is what would work great for you and your camera system. Even considering the crop factor it's still pretty wide and you even have some zoom.
[/COLOR]

You can also try the 10.5 fisheye. Just fix the distortion in post.

THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP! WILL START MY RESEARCH SOON!

I WAS ACTUALLY CONSIDERING A 10-24 AS MY NEXT GLASS INVESTMENT.

Back
Top Bottom