The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

The kit lens for it is trash. While I had it I was also using the Sigma 19 DN. That one was pretty good.

looking for a mid-range zoom lens ( i have a Nikon D610)

1. Tamron 24-70mm f/2.8

2. Nikon 24-70mm f/2.8

whats the better choice?
Better choice really just depends on what you want.

On one hand the Nikon is sharper in the corners from what I've read.

On the other hand, the Tamron has image stabilization.

I'm not a pixel peeper (and I doubt anyone is gonna try doing 100% crop from there phone on instagram) so I really don't see a benefit in getting the Nikon over the Tamron. I'd get this lens to use it wide open so I don't care about corner sharpness if they're not a focal point; they'll be blurred out anyway. Would be better if you're using it for landscapes though.

I'd go with the Tamron and pocket the 600-700 that would've been used for the Nikon.
Thanks man, I thought about it some more and think i'm gonna hold off on purchasing a mid-range zoom lens since i already have the 50mm 1.4.

the 85mm 1.4g is on my radar because i need a portrait lens. So im currently saving up for that

Thanks man, I thought about it some more and think i'm gonna hold off on purchasing a mid-range zoom lens since i already have the 50mm 1.4.

the 85mm 1.4g is on my radar because i need a portrait lens. So im currently saving up for that

Why the 1.4G? I've watched some comparison vids between the 1.4 and the 1.8 and in my opinion the price difference isn't worth it. Not too much difference in performance. I have the 1.8 (should get it while Nikon is running their sale), and it's my go to lens and has been for some time now.

URL]

^^^Haha. Nice man. I literally didn't even cut that far. Went down for like a half mile, took a left off the path and went down the hill and then said eff it and went back. That incline back sucked!

Just received my Sony a6000. I wanted something small for a walk around camera. Looking forward to shooting with it tomorrow. Initially, with the kit lens indoors, I'm not really impressed. I know it's a capable camera, but I have to learn it's tricks before judging it.

[COLOR=#red]I can attest that it takes a little time to learn the camera before you see it's true power. I felt the same exact way...almost felt like the A57 was a better camera which was my previous one. It's an extremely capable camera once you learn it. It has more options and settings than even some of the most capable DSLRs. If you need further insight feel free to ask.
[/COLOR]

great stuff on this page, reps all around
gotta get some zeiss glass on that thing and let it shine :pimp:
[COLOR=#red]
Negative you don't need Zeiss to make it nice. The 35mm 1.8 and the 50mm 1.8 non-Zeiss are just plain beautiful and they both have image stabilization. The 50mm 1.8 is so fast and bright and in 1080p 24fps it gives the true film look when recording. The 55-210 lens is great for it as well, also has image stabilization which allows for a few more stops.
[/COLOR]

The kit lens for it is trash. While I had it I was also using the Sigma 19 DN. That one was pretty good.
[COLOR=#red]
Negativo, the kit lens is not trash at all. It's sorta the same in the firearm world, guys will trash the accuracy of non-elite firearms when their skill level isn't even enough to take full advantage of the lower tiered firearms. The kits lens takes great imagery...when the operator knows HOW to take great imagery with the kit lens. Entry level sports cars are the same way, you don't need a Porsche 911 Turbo S to learn and 560 HP to learn and master performance driving techniques, and having a Turbo S in and of itself isn't going to make you a better driver.[/COLOR]

Definitely getting another piece of glass. Don't think I'm going to get to into it because I'd rather focus on my big rig
[COLOR=#red]
Again no need to rush. The kit lens will hold you down when you really learn the camera, there is much to learn and the only way to do so is by getting out there and snapping with it.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=#red]
Negativo, the kit lens is not trash at all. It's sorta the same in the firearm world, guys will trash the accuracy of non-elite firearms when their skill level isn't even enough to take full advantage of the lower tiered firearms. The kits lens takes great imagery...when the operator knows HOW to take great imagery with the kit lens. Entry level sports cars are the same way, you don't need a Porsche 911 Turbo S to learn and 560 HP to learn and master performance driving techniques, and having a Turbo S in and of itself isn't going to make you a better driver.[/COLOR]
No. The kit lens is trash. And I'm someone who advocates using kit lenses before jumping into buying whatever 35/50 prime people always recommend.

Too many photographers [COLOR=#red]camera guys [/COLOR]are obsessed with equipment and for some reason are obsessive about the number of pixels and sharpness, which of course is needed and good but not needed in all circumstances. I truly believe you will always be a mediocre photographer no matter how expensive or extensive your equipment is if you have no real artistic inclination. I have seen beautiful work done with cheap equipment but because the person understands light, which is the most important thing in photography, and really knows the camera they are using, the shots were great!
[COLOR=#red]
Basically.[/COLOR]

Last edited:
[COLOR=#red]I have multiple instances of imagery that would prove your statement as not accurate.[/COLOR]

Great artist can work with anything, but even those will tell you the kit none L lens for canon is trash. Does that mean they can't take good images with it? No, but they can be that much better. I'm talking straight off the camera images, no editing.

Also, I seen your overly HDR images my dude ... Post something you have taken none HDR and no editing with the kit lens. I'm curious.

Last edited:
Great artist can work with anything, but even those will tell you the kit none L lens for canon is trash. Does that mean they can't take good images with it? No, but they can be that much better. I'm talking straight off the camera images, no editing.

Also, I seen your overly HDR images my dude ... Post something you have taken none HDR and no editing with the kit lens. I'm curious.

[COLOR=#red]First off I don't edit or post-process any of my pictures outside of my cameras, i don't even have any of the software installed on my comps to do so.

Secondly that's the point of HDR :lol: At the end of the day it came from my cameras most likely using kit lens. A lot of people like the aesthetics of HDR, some don't big deal.

Also as a policy I pretty much don't post pictures in here as ive learned how you all in here are. I keep my best stuff to myself and sell them as canvas prints to people i personally interact with.

Lastly who would be the idiot to suggest that most provided lenses are better than the premium ones? That's not my point, I'm merely saying kit lenses more specifically the a6000 kit lens isn't trash, nice imagery can and has been taken with it. Which seems to be a level of understanding outside the realms of the simple binary thinking folk in here :rofl: [/COLOR]

No. The kit lens is trash. And I'm someone who advocates using kit lenses before jumping into buying whatever 35/50 prime people always recommend.

[COLOR=#red]The kit lens isn't trash, you just never used it to its potential #enduserproblems[/COLOR]

one man's trash is another's treasure & vice versa #perspectiveiseverything, granted the hyperbole of the colloquialism 'trash' exaggerates a perhaps valid critique about the quality of the lens not being a particularly standout performer, but of course it isn't trash...the 16-50mm power zoom kit lens is a perfectly capable lens but it does seem as if there were some compromises made, optically (maybe moreso than a typical kit lens) for size and the power zoom function...i think the previous analog 18-55mm was maybe a bit better but the power zoom tries to strike the balance between size, price, & optics to fit its relatively large sensor but fairly small form factor...

speaking of lenses, came up on this piece of legacy glass:

bokeh monster by me_myself_n_eye, on Flickr

i have a few f1.4 lenses so i'm interested to see if there will be a noticeable difference from f1.2...

Last edited:

[COLOR=#red]I can attest that it takes a little time to learn the camera before you see it's true power. I felt the same exact way...almost felt like the A57 was a better camera which was my previous one. It's an extremely capable camera once you learn it. It has more options and settings than even some of the most capable DSLRs. If you need further insight feel free to ask.
[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#red]
Negative you don't need Zeiss to make it nice. The 35mm 1.8 and the 50mm 1.8 non-Zeiss are just plain beautiful and they both have image stabilization. The 50mm 1.8 is so fast and bright and in 1080p 24fps it gives the true film look when recording. The 55-210 lens is great for it as well, also has image stabilization which allows for a few more stops.
[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#red]
[COLOR=#red]
Again no need to rush. The kit lens will hold you down when you really learn the camera, there is much to learn and the only way to do so is by getting out there and snapping with it.[/COLOR]

The kit lens is just not as sharp as I'm used to. I do want to get a prime lens for it. Debating the 35 and 50. I have unlocked some layout features in the camera but my biggest issue is the button layout and the size of the buttons. Will take some getting used to no doubt.

one man's trash is another's treasure & vice versa #perspectiveiseverything, granted the hyperbole of the colloquialism 'trash' exaggerates a perhaps valid critique about the quality of the lens not being a particularly standout performer, but of course it isn't trash...the 16-50mm power zoom kit lens is a perfectly capable lens but it does seem as if there were some compromises made, optically (maybe moreso than a typical kit lens) for size and the power zoom function...i think the previous analog 18-55mm was maybe a bit better but the power zoom tries to strike the balance between size, price, & optics to fit its relatively large sensor but fairly small form factor.quote]

[COLOR=#red]Now that's more like it. Someone who actually realizes the aspect of tradeoffs. I have the 50mm 1.8 and the 55-210 and even though they aren't the Zeiss branded E-Mount lenses they perform better than the kit lens, but the kit lens sacrifices slightly for portability reasons while still being capable of taking great shots. But to say it's trash is ludicrous. [/COLOR]

The kit lens is just not as sharp as I'm used to. I do want to get a prime lens for it. Debating the 35 and 50. I have unlocked some layout features in the camera but my biggest issue is the button layout and the size of the buttons. Will take some getting used to no doubt.

[COLOR=#red]
The 50mm 1.8 is awesome and sharp. There are more than a few reviews both video and written from reputable sources that extol the virtues if the 50mm. I love it myself and the video it takes is just great.

You can always buy it, try it for yourself and if for some reason it's not to your liking (which I doubt it will be) you can always take it or send it back.
[/COLOR]

Back
Top Bottom