The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

one man's trash is another's treasure & vice versa #perspectiveiseverything, granted the hyperbole of the colloquialism 'trash' exaggerates a perhaps valid critique about the quality of the lens not being a particularly standout performer, but of course it isn't trash...the 16-50mm power zoom kit lens is a perfectly capable lens but it does seem as if there were some compromises made, optically (maybe moreso than a typical kit lens) for size and the power zoom function...i think the previous analog 18-55mm was maybe a bit better but the power zoom tries to strike the balance between size, price, & optics to fit its relatively large sensor but fairly small form factor.quote]

[COLOR=#red]Now that's more like it. Someone who actually realizes the aspect of tradeoffs. I have the 50mm 1.8 and the 55-210 and even though they aren't the Zeiss branded E-Mount lenses they perform better than the kit lens, but the kit lens sacrifices slightly for portability reasons while still being capable of taking great shots. But to say it's trash is ludicrous. [/COLOR]

It definitely lacks in the optics. I got the a6000 to replace my D5100. Since I got my D810 it has been sitting in the corner so why not get something small and less of a hassle. I enjoy the size of a6000 but miss the sharpness of my nikon primes.

It definitely lacks in the optics. I got the a6000 to replace my D5100. Since I got my D810 it has been sitting in the corner so why not get something small and less of a hassle. I enjoy the size of a6000 but miss the sharpness of my nikon primes.

for sharpness zeiss definitely has that, but as you know, they are pretty pricey especially to be your for secondary system...getting a quality adapter (though they tend to be a bit buggy & slow) for your existing nikon lenses maybe be the most sensible thing but obviously that kind of negates the form factor some and you lose some functionality...

for sharpness zeiss definitely has that, but as you know, they are pretty pricey especially to be your for secondary system...getting a quality adapter (though they tend to be a bit buggy & slow) for your existing nikon lenses maybe be the most sensible thing but obviously that kind of negates the form factor some and you lose some functionality...

Yeah Definitely wish it was pocketable. The adapters will force me to use manual focus, I'd try it but don't think it will be for me.

[COLOR=#red]First off I don't edit or post-process any of my pictures outside of my cameras, i don't even have any of the software installed on my comps to do so.

Secondly that's the point of HDR :lol: At the end of the day it came from my cameras most likely using kit lens. A lot of people like the aesthetics of HDR, some don't big deal.

Also as a policy I pretty much don't post pictures in here as ive learned how you all in here are. I keep my best stuff to myself and sell them as canvas prints to people i personally interact with.

Lastly who would be the idiot to suggest that most provided lenses are better than the premium ones? That's not my point, I'm merely saying kit lenses more specifically the a6000 kit lens isn't trash, nice imagery can and has been taken with it. Which seems to be a level of understanding outside the realms of the simple binary thinking folk in here :rofl: [/COLOR]
just saying. Your images are sub par. But go ahead carry on.

I want to see your none HDR images, the ones where you have to use your skills to balance an image. LoL ...

Anyways ... Not bothering with you. I seen your tendencies Mr Samsung fanboy.

Last edited:

Yeah Definitely wish it was pocketable. The adapters will force me to use manual focus, I'd try it but don't think it will be for me.

having to manual focus isn't so bad, but depending on the circumstance it can definitely be more of a hassle...i read good things about the sony 35mm & the 50mm lenses, as well a few of the sigma e-mount lenses; all of which are relatively small. if you want the most pocket-ability the sony 2 pancake lenses (16mm & 20mm) make for a super compact setup, though you have to still have to deal with semi-optimal lens performance, unfortunately; both are pretty sharp in the centers but get pretty soft in the corners, another option for compact setups is adapting compact rangefinder lenses, you can get some great quality here but its manual focus & can be difficult to find a good price/conditioned lens

randoms:

Untitled by me_myself_n_eye, on Flickr

where the magic happens II by me_myself_n_eye, on Flickr

no trespassing by me_myself_n_eye, on Flickr

Picked up a sensor magnifier so I could clean more efficiently. I thought it looked pretty cool.

Last edited:
Photography newb, just ordered a Sony A6000 with the kit lens for myself and have a T2i with EF18-55mm, EF75-300mm, EF50mm. Bought the A6000 for its compact size, plan on getting the Sigma 30mm for a walk around lens and the Sony SEL55210 for a zoom lens. Plan to take an introductory photography class as well.

Might have to pick up the Sigma 19mm and Sony SEL50F18 for portraits if I get into this hobby.

Thanks.

Photography newb, just ordered a Sony A6000 with the kit lens for myself and have a T2i with EF18-55mm, EF75-300mm, EF50mm. Bought the A6000 for its compact size, plan on getting the Sigma 30mm for a walk around lens and the Sony SEL55210 for a zoom lens. Plan to take an introductory photography class as well.

Might have to pick up the Sigma 19mm and Sony SEL50F18 for portraits if I get into this hobby.

Thanks.

I like my a6000. Hoping to get a sharper lens. Saw the 50mm in person today and it's huge. I don't know which direction I want to go in with the camera.

^Great stuff all!

Fong if you're reading this, I forgot to reply back to you about the Traditional Chinese wedding on my last post. To answer your question it was really fun and I've done a couple now so I kinda knew what to expect. It was an all day thing since they had a traditional American wedding after.

--

Recent Engagement work.

More on the blog.

IG - @dunksrnice
www.dunksrnice.net

Last edited:
mjbetch....sick cop. I never see anyone with that camera just cause of how expensive it is. Oddly it has nothing but great reviews too.

mjbetch....sick cop. I never see anyone with that camera just cause of how expensive it is. Oddly it has nothing but great reviews too.

Thanks man. Had to get it used to save more than $1k :lol: It's crazy though because it's like dude never used it.

Brand new goes for $2.8k without the viewfinder. You can get them used/like-new for $1.4k. That's just wild.

Last edited:
Hit two milestones this weekend. Completed my holy trinity and got my first full frame digital camera.

I haven't really shot much with it yet, but as far as I can tell, the RX1 is a beast in a small package. Can't wait to shoot with it.

GD030010.jpg by gbrldz, on Flickr

definitely a beast, sony's dynamic range is on fleek! i was definitely scheming tot ry & scoop an RX1R for the low (unfortunately they have held their price) before the a7 series dropped, i love that form factor...i was hoping that sony would make the a7 series with that body and a rangefinder style evf like on their nex6/7/a6000 cameras instead of the anachronous slr style evf that makes it that much more bulky...sweet pickup!

you also might want to hit up the sony website to see if there is a firmware update (which you might also want to check the tnterwebs to see if that update is worth doing)

definitely a beast, sony's dynamic range is on fleek! i was definitely scheming tot ry & scoop an RX1R for the low (unfortunately they have held their price) before the a7 series dropped, i love that form factor...i was hoping that sony would make the a7 series with that body and a rangefinder style evf like on their nex6/7/a6000 cameras instead of the anachronous slr style evf that makes it that much more bulky...sweet pickup!

you also might want to hit up the sony website to see if there is a firmware update (which you might also want to check the tnterwebs to see if that update is worth doing)

Thanks man. I've checked for firmware updates. Nothing since day 1.

Do you have the one of the a7's or nex/a6000?

That'd be dope if the RX1 and the RX100III's pop up view finder.

Sony really has a stronghold on this market. Crazy how companies like Canon won't even compete with them seeing how the Canon M3 is only being sold in Asia.

[

Thanks man. I've checked for firmware updates. Nothing since day 1.

Do you have the one of the a7's or nex/a6000?

all the above! even converted one to an infrared camera...

Sony really has a stronghold on this market. Crazy how companies like Canon won't even compete with them seeing how the Canon M3 is only being sold in Asia.

the mirrorless market is fairly competitive between fuji, panasonic, & sony...even samsung is putting out quality kit now...maybe not as much incentive for canon & nikon to compete there?

Another long review on the Tamron 15-30mm. Unfortunately he compares it to only Canon mount lenses but so far so good. Looks like this lens is next on my list. Unfortunately if I get it, I won't even be able to carry any other lens.

http://dustinabbott.net/2015/02/tamron-sp-15-30mm-f2-8-di-vc-usd-review/

Pros:
Excellent wide open sharpness that only improves when stopped down
Effective image stabilizer (VC), the first of its kind in a wide aperture, wide angle lens
Fast and accurate focus via USD drive
Excellent color rendition and accuracy
Great focal length and a wide aperture
Exceptional contrast
Robust build with weather sealing and fluorine coating to prevent water buildup
Low distortion
Vignetting and chromatic aberrations well controlled
Highly flare resistant
Very attractive sunburst
Nice softness in the bokeh region
Very reasonable price – a bargain compared to the performance
Great six year warranty

Cons:
Large and heavy (largest and heaviest in its class)
Traditional screw on filters cannot be used
Early indications are that supply will not equal demand upon release like the 150-600 VC last year.
No case of any kind provided

HIs sample photos:

48-As-the-Sun-Rises.jpg
Bokeh-Examples.jpg
Valentines-2.jpg
30-Pristine.jpg
Nightscapes-2.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom