The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

[COLOR=#Red]At the time I was using an Asus tablet as my flight screen and the live stream was buggy and very choppy at best so I didn't do it. Now I'm using an iPad Air 2, haven't tried to do it from it yet. The 4k video is very clear even though it's highly compressed at 60bps. I have an upgraded Vimeo account that I upload my video to since it seems to handle HD content better than YouTube. I will not post examples from that because it has my company info on it and I just don't trust NT. but here's a a screenshot of a video still, and a photo I took. It's the same area just one taken at day, the other at night, and they are at different elevations.

[/COLOR]

how are some of you guys managing the larger cameras throughout your travels? pulling out and putting away a big cannon can become bothersome. there's a d joke in there somewhere lol.

there was a time where i just didnt want to bring my camera. it was such a hassle bringing a separate camera bag with lenses and tripods etc. now i just think that it is such a waste to spend money on all this gear and not have the time and effort to bring/use it on trips :\

how are some of you guys managing the larger cameras throughout your travels? pulling out and putting away a big cannon can become bothersome. there's a d joke in there somewhere lol.

[COLOR=#Red]Go with a smaller mirror less or even a quality MFT platform. They are good enough now and are even used professionals nowadays. Funny thing is that there are worse DSLRs than some of the mirror less cams out, but people less informed people automatically think the DSLR is better because it "looks" like it is. [/COLOR]

false
[COLOR=#Red]Go with a smaller mirror less or even a quality MFT platform. They are good enough now and are even used professionals nowadays. Funny thing is that there are worse DSLRs than some of the mirror less cams out, but people less informed people automatically think the DSLR is better because it "looks" like it is. [/COLOR]

Aside from the body, what boils down to things has always been the lenses. Regardless if you go mirrorless, the lenses can make your camera that much heavier and there is no real way to escape that unless you shoot only mirrorless style lenses. I carried a 70-200mm lens last week and even if I put that on a Sony A7R, the camera would still be heavy and probably odd to hold since the weight would be off balanced to the lens. And there really is no lens like that where you can find it smaller and still perform just as good as the Canon or Nikon one. So mirrorless does have its disadvantages where it won't get the same images as a DSLR because of the lense libarary.

Anyone ever buy another wifi card that wasn't Eyefi? I only have an 8GB Eyefi and want to get something larger but they just seem so damn expenseive and Toshiba and Trancend has one and for cheaper.

Amazon product ASIN B00GEBTFNMAmazon product ASIN B00A659ILQ

At the time I was using an Asus tablet as my flight screen and the live stream was buggy and very choppy at best so I didn't do it. Now I'm using an iPad Air 2, haven't tried to do it from it yet. The 4k video is very clear even though it's highly compressed at 60bps. I have an upgraded Vimeo account that I upload my video to since it seems to handle HD content better than YouTube. I will not post examples from that because it has my company info on it and I just don't trust NT. but here's a a screenshot of a video still, and a photo I took. It's the same area just one taken at day, the other at night, and they are at different elevations.
Are these hard to control when the drone is flying that high?

[COLOR=#red]It really depends on which UAV you have. In the case of the Inspire 1 altitude has no effect on how easy it handles in the air. When on GPS lock it will stay in a rock solid hover if you aren't making it go anywhere, and even when you are moving the gimbal keeps the camera so smooth that it looks like the UAV is sliding on an invisible sheet of ice in the air. The Inspire 1 can withstand wind up to 40+ mph constantly and up to 55mph gust with no worries. It flies at 45 mph on GPS lock, without GPS lock it goes up to 60 mph. Also mind you it can fly up to 2.1 miles away while still sending a realtime 720p HD feed back to the tablet and you still being in full control. The tech is crazy and the applications you can do with it are almost endless.

I can't wait to get the MFT camera module for it though...if you look at the daytime screenshot, just right of the water tower you should somewhat be able to see the Houston skyline. Mind you I was about 30 miles from Houston and this was from a video still. With the new cam you'd clearly be able to see the skyline. [/COLOR]

Last edited:
false
Aside from the body, what boils down to things has always been the lenses. Regardless if you go mirrorless, the lenses can make your camera that much heavier and there is no real way to escape that unless you shoot only mirrorless style lenses. I carried a 70-200mm lens last week and even if I put that on a Sony A7R, the camera would still be heavy and probably odd to hold since the weight would be off balanced to the lens. And there really is no lens like that where you can find it smaller and still perform just as good as the Canon or Nikon one. So mirrorless does have its disadvantages where it won't get the same images as a DSLR because of the lense libarary.

Anyone ever buy another wifi card that wasn't Eyefi? I only have an 8GB Eyefi and want to get something larger but they just seem so damn expenseive and Toshiba and Trancend has one and for cheaper.

[COLOR=#red]What a lot of people do is get one of the retractable zoom lens like 16-50/55mm and live with the tradeoffs which aren't really that bad to be honest. Balance isn't as bad of an issues as people make it seem either. I've put a superzoom on my a6000 and the grip is deep enough for it to be handled without issue. It's still much lighter overall and easier to handle than a superzoom, and a big DSLR camera body.

Fact is anecdotaly people have mentioned time and time again they'd rather not bring a full size camera with them everywhere and in many instances they miss out on good spontaneous picture opportunities because of that. This is a less likely issue with a smaller mirroless.

Case in point...this summer at my co-op job we needed to have our headshots done for a companywide publication that had that day as the deadline for the photos. The professional camera guy got into a car accident and couldn't make it. They were about to use an iPhone 6 to do it...but in my laptop bag I had my a6000 my kit lens, and my 50mm 1.8 prime all in 2 very small compartments. I was able to take the professional quality headshots for the publication and the IQ was awesome. Saved the day, and only because I always carry my camera with me. [/COLOR]

[COLOR=#Red]At the time I was using an Asus tablet as my flight screen and the live stream was buggy and very choppy at best so I didn't do it. Now I'm using an iPad Air 2, haven't tried to do it from it yet. The 4k video is very clear even though it's highly compressed at 60bps. I have an upgraded Vimeo account that I upload my video to since it seems to handle HD content better than YouTube. I will not post examples from that because it has my company info on it and I just don't trust NT. but here's a a screenshot of a video still, and a photo I took. It's the same area just one taken at day, the other at night, and they are at different elevations.

[/COLOR]

How Bout u post any stills? Anything I have mAnUally shot?

Just got the a6000. Excellent camera. Gonna wait to get the 50mm Prime though. 18-55mm should be good for now.

Just got the a6000. Excellent camera. Gonna wait to get the 50mm Prime though. 18-55mm should be good for now.

[COLOR=#Red]Sony has spoken when it comes to the a6000 bro. Well spoken without saying any words. Almost every other of their premier cameras have been updated except the a6000. They sold it under cost in order to get market penetration, but it's features are world class. 11fps at full 24MP resolution with full focusing in between every shot is still an amazing feat. Then over 90% of the sensor is PDAF. It's great for sports but can also work for landscapes. I shot a wedding with it with great results even tho I'm far from a wedding photog. That 50 prime is such a great lens for it. One of the best cameras to be released in the last few years, I said one of, not the best.[/COLOR]

Overview: The Sony A6000 has so much going for it—from its DSLR-quality 24.3MP APS-C sensor, top quality EVF, and 11fps burst rate to its best-in-class overall image quality score and ability to deliver virtually noise-free images at ISO 1600. It replaces the NEX-7, which we declared in our review to bet the best APS MILC at the time. It is a pro-level camera that offers many layers of features, from those a casual user would enjoy to capabilities that could satisfy the most demanding photojournalists and wedding photographers. With virtually no lag time and a growing selection of interchangeable, high-quality lenses, this camera is an investment in serious photography.

false

[COLOR=#red]What a lot of people do is get one of the retractable zoom lens like 16-50/55mm and live with the tradeoffs which aren't really that bad to be honest. Balance isn't as bad of an issues as people make it seem either. I've put a superzoom on my a6000 and the grip is deep enough for it to be handled without issue. It's still much lighter overall and easier to handle than a superzoom, and a big DSLR camera body.

Fact is anecdotaly people have mentioned time and time again they'd rather not bring a full size camera with them everywhere and in many instances they miss out on good spontaneous picture opportunities because of that. This is a less likely issue with a smaller mirroless. [/COLOR]

it is true that the glass that you put on the body is one of the biggest deciding factors of the image quality, but all the mirrorless cameras now have decent-good-to great lens catalogs now, not to mention the lenses you can add via adapter, sony is probably furthest behind but MFT & fuji have pretty good lineups...it really is at the point where for most people, mirrorless would seem to be every bit a useable/useful for getting quality images as a dslr with not much tradeoff; the only thing that matters really is what each individual feels comfortable using and allows/inspires them to shoot without getting in their way, for some it will be dslrs, some will prefer mirrorless or point & shoots, and some will maybe never see the point in using anything other than their smartphone...

the cliche saying "the best camera is the one you have with you" is probably only true as much as one is both comfortable & competent with that camera; a dslr isn't much good to you if you think it is a chore to actually use it and similarly mirrorless won't feel "right" if it doesn't meet certain expectations. i think this is where much of the criticism of mirrorless comes from; people used to using dslrs so the mirrorless format(s) feels a bit foreign, it doesn't work in quite the same way as they are used to and some people are using mirrorless or smaller cameras/smartphones because they maybe wouldn't feel comfortable or intimidated by lugging around a "serious" camera...best to ask what things you currently shoot/want to shoot and what camera will fit that mode/feel good to use for one's own style

Whenever I shoot an event, concert, wedding, shoot with homies/friends etc. I use a sling strap. Easier for me to take pics.

I recently got this Timbuk2 Camera/Messenger bag to replace my camera bag after 5 years. Fits my 13 inch Macbook Pro and has a good amount of space. I was about to buy the ONA bag, but it's a bit pricey. Overall like it. (Ignore my chewbacca suit) :lol:

--

Day 3 & 4 in Hawaii. Finally had a chance to blog the last of my Hawaii photos. Need to start punching out all my wedding photos.

Day 3.

Day 3 was the day of the wedding and it was raining on and off. Sometimes really heavy winds and pouring. We got lucky. It was nice for a change since Cali is in a drought but terrible for photos.

Day 4

Forgot to post these but these were taken with a Go Pro 3 when I went snorkeling.

As alway a lot more on my blog or click the link below.

IG - @dunksrnice
http://www.dunksrnice.net/2015/10/hawaii-day-four.html

[COLOR=#red]tokes I'd argue that it pays for a person to be adaptable...there are almost infinitely more opportunities for a person that is. Comfort zones are limiting my dude. Of course the counter argument to that is "I'm doing quite well as is now", and to counter that I'd say why not do even better? Why limit yourself.

Learn new platforms, new techniques, be open to new technologies. Fact of the matter is huge DSLRs years are numbered. Just a matter of time. I remember when film advocates dealt with the same resistance to digital photography.[/COLOR]

Back
Top Bottom