The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

Damn....that looks sick! What was the damage? Man.....I do want to get my own shots like that. I would love to print at least something like that.

If it's too much trouble, what was the unedited version of your second shot?

Those are gorgeous! 
Thanks!

bjamez20 destroying the SF area!! :wow: :pimp: :wow: :pimp: :wow: :pimp: :wow: :pimp: :wow: :pimp: :wow: :pimp: :wow: :pimp:
Hoping to get in a couple more spots over the weekend :pimp:

Damn....that looks sick! What was the damage? Man.....I do want to get my own shots like that. I would love to print at least something like that.

If it's too much trouble, what was the unedited version of your second shot?
If you're able to, I can't recommend it enough. Especially since you shoot so much around the bay area, it's amazing to see it from another perspective. Goes for $600/hr, and you can fit up to 3 people...NT chopper summit :nerd:

Link to the DNG of the 2nd, feel free to play around with it: https://www.dropbox.com/s/imp5hvnc7hti8vt/DSCF0524.dng?dl=0. Most of the shots were a little underexposed because I wanted to keep the shutter speed high and make sure everything was sharp.

If you're able to, I can't recommend it enough. Especially since you shoot so much around the bay area, it's amazing to see it from another perspective. Goes for $600/hr, and you can fit up to 3 people...NT chopper summit :nerd:

Link to the DNG of the 2nd, feel free to play around with it: https://www.dropbox.com/s/imp5hvnc7hti8vt/DSCF0524.dng?dl=0. Most of the shots were a little underexposed because I wanted to keep the shutter speed high and make sure everything was sharp.

No BS, if there are other people in SF on NT that are down, I'd put up the $200 to get a choppa. I wonder if that sort of sours the angles for some people though since it could get crowded but if I got at least a couple of really good pics for paying $200, I'd be happy.

Are there just open windows for you to stick out your camera or something? Like how are people able to stick their feet out and what not without pissing in your pants?

No BS, if there are other people in SF on NT that are down, I'd put up the $200 to get a choppa. I wonder if that sort of sours the angles for some people though since it could get crowded but if I got at least a couple of really good pics for paying $200, I'd be happy.

Are there just open windows for you to stick out your camera or something? Like how are people able to stick their feet out and what not without pissing in your pants?
You can ask them to take the doors off so you get full unobstructed views. The front seat offers the best view, I'd imagine the seat right behind that would be nearly the same, but whoever's on the opposite side would be getting the short end of it.

On the topic of editing on iPad/iPhones, I highly recommend Enlight, I edit all my IG pics on it and when it comes to basic editing aside from warping, removing blemishes and cloning, that app is AMAZING....you can still do those things in it, is just not easy...lol

I have a Nikon D5100 that I haven't used much. I have a 18-55mm and 55-200mm. I like to shoot everything from close ups, to nature, to street shots and of course shoes. Looking at prob grabbing a Tamron 90mm for macro shooting and either a 35mm 1.8g or 50mm 1.8g. Wasn't sure which lens would be more versatile. I know the 50 is usually better for portraits which I don't really do and the 35 for street but I've read the 50 has a better bokeh and I like that style of picture. Just wondering if anyone had an opinion. I know they aren't the greatest lens but its the most I'd like to spend at the moment unless I get more serious and upgrade everything.

I have a Nikon D5100 that I haven't used much. I have a 18-55mm and 55-200mm. I like to shoot everything from close ups, to nature, to street shots and of course shoes. Looking at prob grabbing a Tamron 90mm for macro shooting and either a 35mm 1.8g or 50mm 1.8g. Wasn't sure which lens would be more versatile. I know the 50 is usually better for portraits which I don't really do and the 35 for street but I've read the 50 has a better bokeh and I like that style of picture. Just wondering if anyone had an opinion. I know they aren't the greatest lens but its the most I'd like to spend at the moment unless I get more serious and upgrade everything.
IMO the 35 is more versatile on a crop body Nikon. If you plan on upgrading to a full-frame Nikon sometime down the line, get the 50.

^What do you shoot with @bjamez20
? Great photos!

Looks like Fijufilm XT-1 based off the flickr data

After seeing JordanSF's helicopter shots the other week, I pulled the trigger and decided to go up too :lol:
Incredible experience, definitely going to try and do it again in the future

Those are crispyyyy shots! I saw them on ig and said my goodness. I want to say you were up there around 3pm based on the sun?

28mm is uuber wide so I wouldn't expect you'd be thinkin' you're going to get many gameplay shots

Yup wasn't planning on getting any gameplay shots, mainly wanted to get shots of the stadium and crowds. I'm not going to be sitting up high which is a bummer since I won't have a high vantage point but I'll see what I can do.

Question I'm going to the warriors game in a month and was wondering if they'll let me in with my 6d and 28mm. I'm sitting in section 122, not sure if it would be worth it to bring my camera.

As long as it's 3 inches or less. Sorry, I cant think off the top of my head if your 28mm lens is larger than that.

It's less than 2 inches so I should be good! Thanks for hunting that down for me! Repped.

leftovers from a few weeks ago

and this one from 2 days back. forgot to bring my external flash, so i settled with the pop up flash and set the video led light on the left.
cant remember the last time i used the pop up flash :lol:

bjamez20 - Sick! I recently went but I haven't got the chance to work on any of the photos yet. Too many photos to work on lol. But yes, such a thrill and experience.
Fong - If you're down to do it, I'm down to ride again.

Here's one from the other day flying over SF with my 2001 Royals :smokin

--

Recent work. Lived in the Bay area my whole life and never been to Alcatraz Island. Went to Alcatraz Island for the first time. Cool experience.

As always, more on my blog.

IG - @dunksrnice
www.dunksrnice.net

^What do you shoot with @bjamez20
? Great photos!
yanky had it right, Fujifilm X-T1

Love this shot!
Thanks! The weather played along perfectly that day

Those are crispyyyy shots! I saw them on ig and said my goodness. I want to say you were up there around 3pm based on the sun?
Thanks, close on the time, those were from around 4:00-4:30. I was actually surprised at how much light there was that close to sunset

^^^^^That's one person! Any other takers to make it a threesome?
I'd be down to go again, but probably can't swing it until January when the holiday season calms down.

Photo dump from today

Trekked out to Hawk Hill this morning but the weather wasn't really cooperating...

golden gate by bjamez20, on Flickr

golden gate by bjamez20, on Flickr

Time lapse of the sunrise..

sunrise timelapse by bjamez20, on Flickr

A couple of guys had a DJI Phantom that they flew out past the Golden Gate..then a park ranger stopped them :lol:

Headed out to Muir Woods after

muir woods by bjamez20, on Flickr

^^^^I can do January as well. Would be ideal after the holidays anyways. Let's do it then!

When I was doing more for The Hundreds, I was going to ask if anyone wanted to do a Bay Area NT meet up and shoot some photos. The reason why I never did it is cause I didn't think it made a good story nor did I want it to just be a collection of photos posted on a blog. But maybe I can do an article in the future and kind of relive that idea. Talk about the NT community and just how it breeds hobbies such as shooting photos to (of course) collecting sneakers.

IMO the 35 is more versatile on a crop body Nikon. If you plan on upgrading to a full-frame Nikon sometime down the line, get the 50.

I had a D5100 and both of those lenses. I shoot mostly portraits. At the time 35mm was too wide for me, and I took a liking to the 50mm. I ended up selling the 35mm when I knew I was moving to full frame and replaced it with the 28mm f/1.8. Once I switched to full frame I fell in love with the natural 50mm field of view, but when I'm shooting natural light. It's weird how I use my lenses. I suggest you try it them out. I think the 35mm will be your best bet for what you want to shoot, but as bscarrillo427 said, if you go full frame you will end up replacing it.

Looking to buy a Nikon camera which one do you guys prefer? I want to get into photography

Looking to buy a Nikon camera which one do you guys prefer? I want to get into photography

Just curious, why Nikon specifically? I personally shoot with a D3200 but if I could do it over again I think I'd probably go with a mirrorless system. I think the smaller form factor would encourage me to take the camera around more and take more pictures. I'm not at all unhappy with my D3200, I just think a mirrorless would be more suitable for me.

But as previously mentioned, you can't go wrong with any of the entry-level Nikon DSLRs. All solid performers and can be had for relatively low.

Back
Top Bottom