The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

Finally narrowed down 900 plus Yosemite images down to 260 then down to 70+ images for my blog. Planning on going back.

Excuse the photobomb.

I went for three days. Most shots were used with my 24-70 F/2.8 & had a partnership with Borrowlens so we got to use a 14-24 F/2.8 & 70-200 F/2.8 for free so it was cool. Planning on going back sometime soon around April/May when the Milky way comes back.

I also did a Year In Review for 2015 on my blog as well. Just a few of my favorites.

More on my blog. Links below.
Yosemite Recap : http://www.dunksrnice.net/2016/01/s009-ep172.html
Year In Review : http://www.dunksrnice.net/2016/01/year-in-review-2015.html

IG - @dunksrnice

Last edited:
my fellow Sony shooters I'm in need of a good lenses for more portraits shoots. Its not my thing but friends are starting to ask for photoshoots. what do you guys recommend?? and do you guys think i should go with an adapter? i don't know much about those things. I currently have a 28mm f2. Appreciate the help.

my fellow Sony shooters I'm in need of a good lenses for more portraits shoots. Its not my thing but friends are starting to ask for photoshoots. what do you guys recommend?? and do you guys think i should go with an adapter? i don't know much about those things. I currently have a 28mm f2. Appreciate the help.
Not a Sony shooter, but typically people go with longer focal lengths for portraiture. I think 85mm is a popular focal length for that type of photography.

I know you said it wasn't your thing but your friends are asking for photoshoots. Are these going to be paid gigs? And do you see yourself actually using the lens aside from working with your friends? Do you really wanna spend money on glass that doesn't suit you. I know it sounds kinda douchey, but you're the one dropping the dough. 

Not a Sony shooter, but typically people go with longer focal lengths for portraiture. I think 85mm is a popular focal length for that type of photography.

I know you said it wasn't your thing but your friends are asking for photoshoots. Are these going to be paid gigs? And do you see yourself actually using the lens aside from working with your friends? Do you really wanna spend money on glass that doesn't suit you. I know it sounds kinda douchey, but you're the one dropping the dough. 

All of this.

my favorite portrait lens is 70-200 f/2.8

u can get decently wide and still get real tight and get lots of bokeh.

85mm 1.8 is awesome

Yea i do see myself going into more portrait. I eventually want to get into portraits and do photoshoot for friends as a side gig.

All of this.

85mm 1.8 is awesome

that Zeiss 85mm is $1,200 :x

which camera? what are you trying to spend? 'portrait lenses' are typically in the the short & medium telephoto range of 70mm to 200mm, but obviously you can do portraits with whatever lens, (with the 28mm you may just want to beware of the way focal lengths can distort especially if you are in close for a headshot type portrait) in terms of adapters, it really depends on how comfortable you are with having to manual focus...but adapters make available to you just about any lens from every camera system...you just won't have auto focus or any electronic connection to the camera body in most cases

which camera? what are you trying to spend? 'portrait lenses' are typically in the the short & medium telephoto range of 70mm to 200mm, but obviously you can do portraits with whatever lens, (with the 28mm you may just want to beware of the way focal lengths can distort especially if you are in close for a headshot type portrait) in terms of adapters, it really depends on how comfortable you are with having to manual focus...but adapters make available to you just about any lens from every camera system...you just won't have auto focus or any electronic connection to the camera body in most cases

A7 nothing more then like 600, which from the looks of it not a lot for all these Sony glasses or Zeiss. I've seen that's an option and manual focus isn't a problem but I'd rather have the choice of having AF. Are metabones the best ones or will cheaper ones be equally as good?

Yea i do see myself going into more portrait. I eventually want to get into portraits and do photoshoot for friends as a side gig.

All of this.

85mm 1.8 is awesome

that Zeiss 85mm is $1,200 :x
So I have a few options for you. I just purchased the 85mm Batis and love it. But I also have a vintage Minolta 50mm that I love. I paid $1200 for the 85MM an then $10 for the 50mm and $190 for the adapter for the 50mm.

Last edited:
A7 nothing more then like 600, which from the looks of it not a lot for all these Sony glasses or Zeiss. I've seen that's an option and manual focus isn't a problem but I'd rather have the choice of having AF. Are metabones the best ones or will cheaper ones be equally as good?

yea its tough to snag the quality glass for the sony system, they're all quite pricey...i've read that the metabones has upgradeable firmware so it potentially can address some issues (one of which could be improved af?), but many say in practice some of the cheaper alternatives work just as good (or bad) as the metabones but they don't have upgradeable firmwarei bought a $100 fotodiox adapter that seems to work ok but the AF can be rather spotty...you could scoop up the 28mm-70mm kit lens? those go for around $250-$300, there isn't much cheaper in that $ range that would have good af in that portrait range as prime lenses

was actually thinking about grabbing that 28mm, but opted for the 35mm for its compactness instead...

Untitled by a0, on Flickr

Would anyone be able to stitch some pictures together for me with a more modern PS? I've got CS2 and it can't cope - there's too much lens distortion and it wont match them properly. I've heard that the later versions do a nice job.

I did it myself years ago but can't get it to work now and I'm starting from scratch to try and improve it a bit.

Probably easiest to share a dropbox or something as the final file will be pretty big. It's 7 jpegs that I have here.

Thanks.

I have CS6 and can give it a shot if you want.

Those yosemite shots up there are :smokin dunksrnice dunksrnice

Nikon D5 can expand ISO to 3,280,000?! Will the pictures even be usable?

http://petapixel.com/2016/01/05/the-nikon-d5-is-official-and-the-iso-goes-to-3280000/

And my dream camera is....

What I like about that is that it's only 20MP - they've obviously concentrated on ISO/noise reduction and dynamic range than putting a 45MP sensor in it or something. I wish more products were like that rather than concentrating on a big number which they tell the public they need.

Was looking at getting the Canon 50mm 1.8 lens but was also considering the 1.5. Is it worth the bump up in price?

What I like about that is that it's only 20MP - they've obviously concentrated on ISO/noise reduction and dynamic range than putting a 45MP sensor in it or something. I wish more products were like that rather than concentrating on a big number which they tell the public they need.
Good point!

With that huge ISO level i'm sure it operates very well in low light. I got to see some sample pics

Was looking at getting the Canon 50mm 1.8 lens but was also considering the 1.5. Is it worth the bump up in price?

if you've never used a wide open lens like a 1.8 i'd suggest getting used to focusing w/ 1.8.

You will NOT be unhappy at all.

1.8 is a phenomenal f/ stop

I had a 1.8 50mm and my homie had the 1.4 50mm, I was only jealous during low low light situations. Bokeh is better but not worth the price dif to me

I had a 1.8 50mm and my homie had the 1.4 50mm, I was only jealous during low low light situations. Bokeh is better but not worth the price dif to me

bokeh for portraits would be better on an 85mm 1.8 than a 50 1.4 IMO

compression = better bokeh.

Just wanted to share this... when I was younger (even right now) I always wanted to get into photography so I spent way too much on an alright camera and its not even a dslr... I really want a damn dslr... 

Back
Top Bottom