The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

^^^^^Very true. Drones are only as cool as the things they take. I just think open fields and what not are just boring. Hopefully people will push the boundaries of what they shoot rather than it always being a fly up and away shot.

I don't set new year's resolutions but I do want to shoot more journalistic style in 2016. Tell a story rather than just taking one good shot and that is it. I think IG has warped my brain to shoot a certain way and I want to break that. I want to progress faster than this slow pace that I seem to be at. Not complaining about my shots but I do feel they can be way better.

I keep telling myself i need to progress faster.

I barely took my first photograph at a wedding 3 months ago :lol: :x

I also want to make more prints
laugh.gif
I've been researching printing sites and places and I've think I have the perfect set list

I've been researching printing sites and places and I've think I have the perfect set list
Who are you going to use?

I've used adoramapix.com for metal prints in the past and they've been great. They regularly do 25-40% off too.

Who are you going to use?

I've used adoramapix.com for metal prints in the past and they've been great. They regularly do 25-40% off too.
I think I was looking at them for metal prints too, just waiting on the perfect picture to get to compare to the other sites

I have to look on my home computer to list all of em but Short Run Posters has larger prints for some very good prices

But I'll likely use Walmart surprisingly for most of my regular prints or holiday/themed cards since most of them come same day within 2hrs. It'll give me time to get em and package em up real pretty

Dang was really about to pull the trigger on the 3DR Solo DRONE, but realized is really a waste of 1200$ because of all the regulations....only time I can see myself having fun with it would be on vacation...here in NYC you are SOL :frown:

the regulations definitely limit where you can get up, i think how (seemingly) easy they are to fly has the FAA shook...not only that but because they seem so easy to fly, it also makes people flying them,especially when you 1st start out, prone to some irresponsibility; albeit maybe unintentionally. i don't know if the regulations are going to be particularly effective...the responsibility of registration is put on consumers after point of sale, rather than at the time of purchase or from the manufacturers themselves; manufacturers already have the ability to limit these products with software which would seem a better way to bake in identification and the cost of registration...

Speaking of prints, check out this video from Tony and Chelsea. They used a bunch and suggest a couple of sites. They say using websites are so much better now than printing that I agree. Cost is way cheaper now than before:

My wife bought me a printer one year and I've tried using it to print and it makes pretty decent prints but the cost of ink and the fequency of paying jobs did not equate

My New Years resolution is to really narrow down on this Pentax 67 I own....really want to juice it, the Pentax 105mm is simply out of this world.

Just got my first dslr camera for Christmas. The canon t5 rebel model. From what I've read so far, it's supposed to be a pretty good starter camera. I've been wanting to get into photography for a few years now. Any advice, tips, insight, etc? Anyone familiar with the rebel? School me NT fams.

What happens if you fly a drone inside the regulation area? Say for example in a residential area or on treasure island at 1000ft?

Hoping to grab some good shots of fireworks tonight. This will be my first time grabbing some low light photos. How high should I up the ISO if I'm doing night time photography?

Anyone planning a 365...I know we talk about this every year...
Just finished mine and I'm so glad to be done with it :lol:
Quality of my 365 pictures are all over the place

What happens if you fly a drone inside the regulation area? Say for example in a residential area or on treasure island at 1000ft?
You can get fined or even jail time. That being said, last time I was out at Hawk Hill (no fly zone) a couple guys flew their Phantom out over the Golden Gate. Park ranger came out and just told them they had to stop - no fine, nothing. I'm sure that will change as more and more people start flying/breaking the rules

Hoping to grab some good shots of fireworks tonight. This will be my first time grabbing some low light photos. How high should I up the ISO if I'm doing night time photography?

As low as you can get away with.

ISO just gives you the ability to choose the exposure and aperture that you want - within reason, if you go too high with the ISO you start to get noise - but some of the latest cameras are great even at high ISO.

There isn't a downside to low ISO other than the exposure or aperture will have to be longer/wider to get enough light to take a picture. The only time you will need to go high is if you're shooting moving things in low light - people mostly. A higher ISO will allow you to freeze the action.

For fireworks you don't want that as you want to get the trails - not just the moment of explosion - so you actually want a reasonable exposure time.

You'll definitely want a tripod and then I would start with something around f/11 (certainly between 8 and 16) and then experiment with exposures between 2 and 10s to see how it looks.

You'll want to be manually focusing too - hopefully your lens has focus markings on it as it's much easier like that.

You can get fined or even jail time. That being said, last time I was out at Hawk Hill (no fly zone) a couple guys flew their Phantom out over the Golden Gate. Park ranger came out and just told them they had to stop - no fine, nothing. I'm sure that will change as more and more people start flying/breaking the rules

at the moment, i think nothing really; i could be wrong about that though...not sure if the regulations are already in account or kicks in for sometime in 2016, then it is something like $20k racks and/or jail time...most places if it isn't allowed, as bjamez said, will just tell you to stop and i have to think that would probably still be the case even after the regulations kick in, barring whatever your flying comes down and damages property and/or injures someone...

most of the consumer 'drones' are limited by software at 400ft, but that limitation can be easily overridden...

ISO just gives you the ability to choose the exposure and aperture that you want - within reason, if you go too high with the ISO you start to get noise - but some of the latest cameras are great even at high ISO.

There isn't a downside to low ISO other than the exposure or aperture will have to be longer/wider to get enough light to take a picture. The only time you will need to go high is if you're shooting moving things in low light - people mostly. A higher ISO will allow you to freeze the action.

For fireworks you don't want that as you want to get the trails - not just the moment of explosion - so you actually want a reasonable exposure time.

You'll definitely want a tripod and then I would start with something around f/11 (certainly between 8 and 16) and then experiment with exposures between 2 and 10s to see how it looks.

You'll want to be manually focusing too - hopefully your lens has focus markings on it as it's much easier like that.

all great tips, expecially the part about trial and error! you'll have to do a lot of figuring out...how high you are going to go with your ISO probably depends on what you want to get, like if you just want to get the shots of fireworks, you want to go as low as possible and drag the shutter for a few seconds...but if you want to get like people or environment shots exposed relatively well then, of course you'll want to use a higher ISO...good luck!

Just got my first dslr camera for Christmas. The canon t5 rebel model. From what I've read so far, it's supposed to be a pretty good starter camera. I've been wanting to get into photography for a few years now. Any advice, tips, insight, etc? Anyone familiar with the rebel? School me NT fams.
just learn the different camera modes and go out there and start shooting and experimenting

Man , thank you so much for the pointers. I will definetly keep those in mind with I head out tonight. I will post some photos of the event.

Didn't know that jail time was one of the penalties. Technically if it isn't registered with the FAA then they wouldn't know how high you're flying correct? Assuming you don't get caught...I'm going to look into this.

As much as I would like to pull the trigger, is becoming more and more evident it just isn't worth the headache for a couple of aerial shots....

Didn't know that jail time was one of the penalties. Technically if it isn't registered with the FAA then they wouldn't know how high you're flying correct? Assuming you don't get caught...I'm going to look into this.
I'm sure that's only in extreme cases. Either way, I plan to play by the rules and avoid any conflict.

As much as I would like to pull the trigger, is becoming more and more evident it just isn't worth the headache for a couple of aerial shots....
I actually agree with this, at least depending on the area that you're in. I personally wouldn't have paid for one with the limited uses that mine will see, but since it was a gift I'm pretty damn excited.

my understanding is that even if you register they don't really have any way of knowing how high one is flying...registering maybe serves a few purposes, they know who to contact/track down in the case of any type of incident, accidental or otherwise, generate some cash flow by which to pay for this program, and maybe even as a mild deterrent for people to buy...but other than manufacturers baking in additional limitations via the software, registration will not bring about any restriction on how or where you can fly in practice; but technically there will be more rules on the books for how people can use these thing in public.

i think it could most definitely be an awesome thing to have in the arsenal, but the problem with these ends up being is how familiar people are with the controls; and how people react when these things malfunction...

I'm sure that's only in extreme cases. Either way, I plan to play by the rules and avoid any conflict.

haven't registered yet, kinda on the fence about it, don't really like how it isn't a one-time fee or how you get put on a open database where your information is accessible; i definitely try to follow the rules and i don't fly enough and not in heavily populated places so i'm prolly good...

If I lived in the PNW this would be copped with the swiftness....those dudes out there really get to juice the capabilities of these things....any big metro area, these things are worthless....all the cool things you would want to shoot like bridges, over the Hudson, most landmarks are off limits....really no point....

Now in the PNW oh boy.

Anyone planning a 365...I know we talk about this every year...
Just finished mine and I'm so glad to be done with it :lol:
Quality of my 365 pictures are all over the place

I think I am going to try one. We shall see how it goes. Tried a 365 a year back and it was horrible.

Back
Top Bottom