The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

forgot there was a photog thread in general

my current lens lineup

Anybody looking for a stripbox, Westcott's Apollo Strip is $30 off at B&H. Coming in it $99.90, but they 40 degree grid is also included. I was going to pick up the Rapid Strip but that is almost $170. Future investment.

Currently use a canon t1i and my plan was to stick with canon since i have a 50mm from canon already. I can change brands/formats but idk. I notice a lot of youtubers use the 70d or 80d so i was going to stick with it lol. Plus i know still quality is all i need. Not printing posters or billaboards lol. Still learning as well

Last edited:
what camera are you rocking with now? as someone mentioned earlier, a sony a5100 or even one of the older nex version(s) the nex 5, (5n, 5r, or the 5t) for crazy low, and those are really awesome cameras for both stills & video; once you get familiar with the controls and the sony e mount 10-18 f4 lens can be scooped relatively inexpensively as well...

Somehow i didnt quote this but check my response above

I don't shoot sports, so that's not an issue for me .. And both Nikon and Canon Mirrorless are extremely lacking in comparison to other brands ( which like tokes said , could be they are simply too invested with DSLR's) ..

As far as camera phones , I don't use mine really at all unless I'm at work. I never got into iPhone'tography . I carry my camera like a purse :lol:

Did this with my iPhone btw

yeah its pretty clear that nikon and canon dont have an interest in mirrorless

Was the SL1 not well received? Not from a professional standpoint, but just a casual shooter and as another option from the Rebel series.

??? But thats not a mirrorless camera

I know one girl who loves her SL1... she got it in white... I go back and forth on the white being dope and buns :lol:

She's just starting out and shoots w/ a 50mm 1.8 and takes great photos.

oh **** didn't know why i thought the sl1 was mirrorless :lol:

prob cause of the size :/

nvm

:pimp: what genre of photography do you shoot?

I will own the 85mm and 135mm L lenses one day :evil:

thanks, I typically shoot portraits - blasting pics of my kids all over fb and ig. I get the occasional paid shoot.

both the 85 and 135L are great, but Id recommend going for the 135 first. the 85L is kind of a pain to use wide open.

thanks, I typically shoot portraits - blasting pics of my kids all over fb and ig. I get the occasional paid shoot.

both the 85 and 135L are great, but Id recommend going for the 135 first. the 85L is kind of a pain to use wide open.

Im not sure i'd ever have a purpose to shoot the 85 @ 1.2 unless i planned on focus stacking :lol:

135L is on the radar after I get my second body. Stupid priorities :lol:

Im not sure i'd ever have a purpose to shoot the 85 @ 1.2 unless i planned on focus stacking :lol:

why scoop the 8.5 f1.2 and not go wide open?

if anyone is looking at the 135L for portraits the manual focus samyang/rokinon 135 f2 is a really insanely affordable option that is at least as sharp, if not sharper, as the 135L, it's worth checking for if auto focus isn't super important...

if anyone is looking at the 135L for portraits the manual focus samyang/rokinon 135 f2 is a really insanely affordable option that is at least as sharp, if not sharper, as the 135L, it's worth checking for if auto focus isn't super important...

without focus stacking I think f/1.2 is OD on 85mm

I shoot hand held & shoot normal people... it would be impractical to shoot f/1.2 for the way I shoot

That is why I am okay with owning the 85mm USM 1.8 for now.

I'm personally not huge on 99.9% of 3rd party lenses & i'm for sure not getting a manual focus lens for portraiture. If i'm going for shallow DOF i want that tack sharp eye and im not gonna be able to get that manually focusing.

Canons 135L is very affordable for an L lens... especially for anyone serious about their portraiture

3rd party lenses > Canon 

Sigma/Tamron/Rokinon all putting out amazing lenses with great IQ for great prices. 

manual focus isn't for everyone, but if shooting protraits in a controlled setting the extra time it'd take to focus might not be an issue, especially if you can get better image quality at almost half the price...yea, 3rd party definitely can be a little more 'adventurous' than going with the native brand, but there some are wins to be had with the 3rd party gear for those on budget or about that best bang for ya buck life

^
Great photos all around, and that 4th shot is incredible! 

Thanks a lot fam!

Omg dude... this is breathtaking

Appreciate that bruh!!

What lens are you using to get even that far to take a pic of SF from Oakland hills? You got a converter? I follow some guy on flicker and I swear he's shooting at like 400mm or something.

I wish I had a 400 or even a converter for that matter. This was actually shot from the road leading up to twin peaks with my 70-200.

I've been on the fence about getting that 135 f2 for a while now. Afraid that I won't be able to manual focus it on a crop sensor or keep the shutter speed high enough at that focal length. Longest lens I currently have is a 60mm (90mm eq.) and I'm just about ready to add something with more reach to the bag.

I've been on the fence about getting that 135 f2 for a while now. Afraid that I won't be able to manual focus it on a crop sensor or keep the shutter speed high enough at that focal length. Longest lens I currently have is a 60mm (90mm eq.) and I'm just about ready to add something with more reach to the bag.

i wouldn't worry about that, i think it is easier to focus this lens on a crop camera, in certain situations it definitely will be hard to shoot it wide open, but it is an excellent lens (at least the copy i have), after reading about the lens so much it i figured it was worth a try and did not disappoint. keep your shutter speed around 1/250th and take your time focusing (the focus ring has a pretty long throw and is butter smooth) you should be good money. it isn't a small lens though

unprocessed v. processed:

Untitled by a0, on Flickr

center stage by a0, on Flickr

Last edited:
Super dope bro. Howd you take a pic like the 2nd? Is that post editing?

thanks man. they were actually in a really heated argument so i shot from the hip while passing by lol. the guy was really upset. the original had their faces cut off, which i thought looked kinda cool, so i just straightened and corrected a bit but didn't have to crop.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom