The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

I just went to a skate demo and mind you a 5D is still good even though it isn't a 7D but I couldn't shoot stuff for crap. Autofocus is just such a hit and miss and I even did back button focusing and AI Servo. I almost wish I had a 7D body to compliment my 5D.

Got two though which I like but wish I got some more stuff considering.

Yeah one are the 5d does not shine is with af tracking on fast moving subject.

I shot skateboarding once with my 5d mark 2 and it was decent.

I shot at a pretty high f/ stop. i didnt go lower than f/4

Safer in what sense? Mirrorless is going nowhere but up.

If you're talking about your style of shooting, I feel you. Have you tried shooting mirrorless though?
Yes, it was just personal preference.

I have never shot mirrorless before and was just getting into paid gigs. Wanted to upgrade to full frame and felt it was a bit too risky to learn a new system (EVF, etc) at that time.

Also heard things about battery issues, overheating, slow AF in certain circumstances for the Sony a7 series. But again it was more the learning curve that I think I would have had to have encountered more than anything.

What type of photography do you do? I'd love to see some of your client work!

Yes, it was just personal preference.

I have never shot mirrorless before and was just getting into paid gigs. Wanted to upgrade to full frame and felt it was a bit too risky to learn a new system (EVF, etc) at that time.

Also heard things about battery issues, overheating, slow AF in certain circumstances for the Sony a7 series. But again it was more the learning curve that I think I would have had to have encountered more than anything.

True. I definitely feel you. You right for when it comes to paid gigs, stick to what you know.

Yeah, the battery thing with mirrorless isn't fun, but you get used to it. Just gotta have spare batteries. Sony got rid of the overheating issues with the 2nd generation a7 series and AF is :pimp:.

But you right. Switching from DSLR to mirrorless has a bit of a learning curve. Definitely worth it IMO.

^^^^^The Sony AR72 is almost damn perfect an the way they are releasing cameras, the next batch would definitely be the one to get that will have all the bells and whistles and more than what Canon offers. Perhaps then, I'd be open to swapping and only cause I don't have to sell all my Canon lenses.

Yeah one are the 5d does not shine is with af tracking on fast moving subject.

I shot skateboarding once with my 5d mark 2 and it was decent.

I shot at a pretty high f/ stop. i didnt go lower than f/4

I shot at f/3.5 but I should have shot at a higher f-stop too. Honestly i never shoot with a long lens and it does have it's learning curve from the focusing to the framing of the shot and even just zooming which I am so not used too. I shot with the version 1 70-200mm lens yesterday and was told the version 2 was that much better both focus wise and sharpness. I could see myself getting this lens next. It's a fun way too shoot.

Also this is coming out very soon. I would have been all over that 16-35mm lens if it wasn't for the Tamron lens. I am sure that lens if any will be like the f/4 version in the sense of sharpness throughout the corners but just have a lower f-stop. The price though I am sure will be ridiculous. I really wish Canon got more competitive on their pricing cause 3rd party lenses are almost a no brainer sometimes.

newlenses-728x403.jpg

I don't shoot sports, so that's not an issue for me .. And both Nikon and Canon Mirrorless are extremely lacking in comparison to other brands ( which like tokes said , could be they are simply too invested with DSLR's) ..

As far as camera phones , I don't use mine really at all unless I'm at work. I never got into iPhone'tography . I carry my camera like a purse :lol:

Did this with my iPhone btw

yeah its pretty clear that nikon and canon dont have an interest in mirrorless

Was the SL1 not well received? Not from a professional standpoint, but just a casual shooter and as another option from the Rebel series.

Last edited:
I don't remember why canon's M series failed in the states. I think they still released new models overseas. Nikon probably doesn't want to invest in a new mount or cut into APS-C. The mirror less they have now isn't even micro 4/3rds it's just a 1" you can find in compacts and point and shoot cameras. That consumer demographic for isn't stressing for interchangeable lenses. They'd should get the Sony rx100

Does canon have a camera with focus as good as the 80d? I like the new video focus and thats why im leaning towards that.i need a camera good for video as well since i want to get into that more. The 80d isnt the best camera ever so if i shoukd consider something else i will

Does canon have a camera with focus as good as the 80d? I like the new video focus and thats why im leaning towards that.i need a camera good for video as well since i want to get into that more. The 80d isnt the best camera ever so if i shoukd consider something else i will

as far as consumer end canon cameras that are good at video you're not gonna get better than the 80d.

There really isnt an end all be all for any camera.

even canon's flagship camera the 1D X Mark II which is $6,000 body only

or even one of their pro video cameras the C100 Mark II which is around $4,000 with glass.

Just keep in mind using a higher end camera will get you a higher quality product in terms of the technical quality of the output file.

You can still shoot a crap video / picture on a $20,000 gear budget.

what type of video are you doing and what is the platform you're gonna be sharing it on?

Even a used 70d would be a fantastic option for you

My first real assistant is going back to college tomorrow for her senior year :smh: :frown: :wow:

She has spoiled me so much this summer... I did a wedding last week without her and was leaving my bag / gear everywhere :smh: :smh: :smh: :smh: :smh: :smh: :smh: :smh: :smh: :smh: :smh: :smh: :smh: :smh: :smh: :smh: :smh: :smh:

I had a lot of fun shooting with her and I cant wait for her to come back home :lol:

Here's a few shots I liked

(she studies art hence the paint brush / canvas shots)

I don't shoot sports, so that's not an issue for me .. And both Nikon and Canon Mirrorless are extremely lacking in comparison to other brands ( which like tokes said , could be they are simply too invested with DSLR's) ..

As far as camera phones , I don't use mine really at all unless I'm at work. I never got into iPhone'tography . I carry my camera like a purse :lol:

Did this with my iPhone btw

yeah its pretty clear that nikon and canon dont have an interest in mirrorless

Was the SL1 not well received? Not from a professional standpoint, but just a casual shooter and as another option from the Rebel series.

??? But thats not a mirrorless camera

I know one girl who loves her SL1... she got it in white... I go back and forth on the white being dope and buns :lol:

She's just starting out and shoots w/ a 50mm 1.8 and takes great photos.

as far as consumer end canon cameras that are good at video you're not gonna get better than the 80d.

or even one of their pro video cameras the C100 Mark II which is around $4,000 with glass.

Just keep in mind using a higher end camera will get you a higher quality product in terms of the technical quality of the output file.

what type of video are you doing and what is the platform you're gonna be sharing it on?

Yeah i understand. Just stuff for youtube videos. If i need something serious i can get a lumix gh4. I am getting the camera to have something better for pictures since my camera is so old,but im sure the video is good enough. I have seen great work come from it. Im not doing any serious work where i need to be a crazy videographer haha. Just trying to upgrade my camera for photogrpahy while finding one thats suitable for videos. Im sure this will be good. Also gettinf a 10-18 mm when i get it too. Do you suggest that lense for pictures or video only?

Last edited:
I don't remember why canon's M series failed in the states. I think they still released new models overseas. Nikon probably doesn't want to invest in a new mount or cut into APS-C. The mirror less they have now isn't even micro 4/3rds it's just a 1" you can find in compacts and point and shoot cameras. That consumer demographic for isn't stressing for interchangeable lenses. They'd should get the Sony rx100

I think it's due to cell phones still being the primary camera in the states where as in Asia, people are still buying cameras for shooting rather than a bulky DSLR.

I still have a Canon M damn near in mint condition and I never use it. I wanted a compact camera for concert use but the camera is so bad with it's auto focus that you literally have to shoot only when the sun is out or if your object is super still.

Not trying to turn this into a buy/sell thing but if anyone wants it with the 22mm lens, I can let it go for real cheap.

Yeah i understand. Just stuff for youtube videos. If i need something serious i can get a lumix gh4. I am getting the camera to have something better for pictures since my camera is so old,but im sure the video is good enough. I have seen great work come from it. Im not doing any serious work where i need to be a crazy videographer haha. Just trying to upgrade my camera for photogrpahy while finding one thats suitable for videos. Im sure this will be good. Also gettinf a 10-18 mm when i get it too. Do you suggest that lense for pictures or video only?

You really wont be unhappy with what you get.

10-18mm will take just fine photos and video.

But its not a lens for every situation because there isnt a lens for every situation.

What lens are you using to get even that far to take a pic of SF from Oakland hills? You got a converter? I follow some guy on flicker and I swear he's shooting at like 400mm or something.

My first real assistant is going back to college tomorrow for her senior year :smh: :frown: :wow:

She has spoiled me so much this summer... I did a wedding last week without her and was leaving my bag / gear everywhere :smh: :smh: :smh: :smh: :smh: :smh: :smh: :smh: :smh: :smh: :smh: :smh: :smh: :smh: :smh: :smh: :smh: :smh:

I had a lot of fun shooting with her and I cant wait for her to come back home :lol:

What university she at?

What university she at?

She goes to some christian college in florida :nerd: :lol:

what camera are you rocking with now? as someone mentioned earlier, a sony a5100 or even one of the older nex version(s) the nex 5, (5n, 5r, or the 5t) for crazy low, and those are really awesome cameras for both stills & video; once you get familiar with the controls and the sony e mount 10-18 f4 lens can be scooped relatively inexpensively as well...

what camera are you rocking with now? as someone mentioned earlier, a sony a5100 or even one of the older nex version(s) the nex 5, (5n, 5r, or the 5t) for crazy low, and those are really awesome cameras for both stills & video; once you get familiar with the controls and the sony e mount 10-18 f4 lens can be scooped relatively inexpensively as well...

First camera I ever bought was a Sony NEX-5 5 years ago :pimp:

Back
Top Bottom