The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

Just got back from enlarging 2 of my pictures at Walgreens.

I got them enlarged to 8X10 thinking they would scale the image down but no, they simply cropped it!

Horrible quality.

Complete loss of details in the shadows.

Horrible. HORRIBLE. HORRIBLE!

Canon people, I'm about to make the jump to FF and I'm deciding between the 5d MKII or the 6D. Anything I need to take into consideration when looking at these two cameras? Thanks in advance.

Here are a few pics from my cruise a couple months ago.

I got them enlarged to 8X10 thinking they would scale the image down but no, they simply cropped it!

Horrible quality.

One thing I truly hate about Walgreens prints. There is only so many sizes that scale down right. I've printed at Kinko at their kiosk printer and it scaled the picture down but the cost is way more then Walgreens.

Canon people, I'm about to make the jump to FF and I'm deciding between the 5d MKII or the 6D. Anything I need to take into consideration when looking at these two cameras? Thanks in advance.

I was in the same dilemma and chose the Mark 2. The one thing I truly hate about the Mark 2 is the autofocus. Maybe I didn't research it well but I never knew the damn thing is that slow and misses its mark all the time. I am not sure if the 6D has the same autofocus as the 7D but I know the Mark 3 has the same autofocus as the 7D. But still, the price and ISO power, I would still go with the Mark 2 or just save some more and get the Mark 3.

And just some random photos with the 24mm L. Mind you I am still having some issue shooting with it, so these photos are kind of boring.

bah-humbug-2.jpg
bah-humbug-3.jpg
bah-humbug-4.jpg
bah-humbug-10.jpg
bah-humbug-9.jpg
bah-humbug-1.jpg

One thing I truly hate about Walgreens prints. There is only so many sizes that scale down right. I've printed at Kinko at their kiosk printer and it scaled the picture down but the cost is way more then Walgreens.
I was in the same dilemma and chose the Mark 2. The one thing I truly hate about the Mark 2 is the autofocus. Maybe I didn't research it well but I never knew the damn thing is that slow and misses its mark all the time. I am not sure if the 6D has the same autofocus as the 7D but I know the Mark 3 has the same autofocus as the 7D. But still, the price and ISO power, I would still go with the Mark 2 or just save some more and get the Mark 3.
And just some random photos with the 24mm L. Mind you I am still having some issue shooting with it, so these photos are kind of boring.

I'll probably go to an actual camera store near me to make enlargements... I will pay more, but I'm sure the quality will be there.

Crisp pictures. The image quality that L lenses produce is evident in those pictures.

Last edited:
The two in the middle are the ones I got enlarged today... the right one is decent, but the one

on the left is nothing like what I saved it as.

I'll probably go to an actual camera store near me to make enlargements... I will pay more, but I'm sure the quality will be there.

I've even heard if you do it at legit camera stores that they will keep reprinting the photo till it gets to your liking. They could even do all the photoshop edits as well. A guy I know did a photo show and he went to a local place here in SF and each print was about $70 on matte paper (16X18 i think) but it looked really damn good and he ended up selling most photos for $300 a piece.

I've even heard if you do it at legit camera stores that they will keep reprinting the photo till it gets to your liking. They could even do all the photoshop edits as well. A guy I know did a photo show and he went to a local place here in SF and each print was about $70 on matte paper (16X18 i think) but it looked really damn good and he ended up selling most photos for $300 a piece.
That's a nice sized print though... pretty sure paying 70 bucks was well justified.

I have to put some thought as to what picture I want enlarged at a price like that.

Nice pics Fong. Thanks for the advice as well. I'll have to research a little more. I'd like to get the Mark III, but that may be a little too steep price wise.

Yeah. I saw the price drop on the Mark 2 and a local camera shop as well. I was ready to jump but then saw the 6D and decided to wait and come here for advice. Lol. I have a 24-105 to pair with it, but I definitely want some primes. The shots I see of the 35L and your 24L are amazing.

I may go tomorrow to pick up the Mark 2 :smile:

Nt Fam,

I'm in the market for a nice 50mm lens that has great value. I currently have a 28mm 1.8 & 85mm 1.8. The 28mm was my 50 when i was working with a cropped sens camera. Now that i upgraded to a FF, the 28 is just too wide for a walk-around lens.

I looked at the zeiss 50 1.4 and i'm intrigued by the color rendering. I don't mind the Manual focus as i would primarily use this lens for video work and i'm sure i'll adjust to the mf.

So i'm totally debating between the canon 50 1.4 and the zeiss.

Anyone have advice or comments about their experiences with any 50mm lens they played with?

Thanks.

Horrible quality.

I'd say the majority of that quality loss is the fact that you tried to print it at Walgreens... I took some pics to Walmart to get 4x6 and verified that you get what you pay for. If you're going to be shooting with the intention of printing you should look into a print lab... The prices aren't bad at all...

I'd say the majority of that quality loss is the fact that you tried to print it at Walgreens... I took some pics to Walmart to get 4x6 and verified that you get what you pay for. If you're going to be shooting with the intention of printing you should look into a print lab... The prices aren't bad at all...
Right on man.

I won't be going to Walgreens anymore...

I'm definitely going to look into a photo lab. Whatever price I pay, I'm sure it'll be worth it.

One from tonight.

Back
Top Bottom