The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

Class Photo.

9623949648_02f9862027_c.jpg

I like the vehicles in the picture but the image - NAW!

no composition - just a big mess and the background on the left it's to distracting because of the lack of lighting/highlights coming from the cars.

i think if you were elevated on a ladder or something the photo would improve dramatically.

I like the vehicles in the picture but the image - NAW!

no composition - just a big mess and the background on the left it's to distracting because of the lack of lighting/highlights coming from the cars.

i think if you were elevated on a ladder or something the photo would improve dramatically.

Thanks the feedback guys. I agree that there is too much going on in the pic. I'm not exactly sure I see what you mean when you say "there's a lack of lighting/highlights coming from the left side." To me it looks fine. Could you elaborate a little more please?

2morrow-That would've been perfect but I didn't have one at the time |I.

Thanks the feedback guys. I agree that there is too much going on in the pic. I'm not exactly sure I see what you mean when you say "there's a lack of lighting/highlights coming from the left side." To me it looks fine. Could you elaborate a little more please?

2morrow-That would've been perfect but I didn't have one at the time
tired.gif
These are you pictures? My bad dude - I didn't mean to put it down like that. I thought you was using it as inspiration or something ...

Basically, IMHO you need to compose your images before you shoot them. I'm guilty of not doing this then I kick my self in the *** for getting home and saying damn.. I miss that?

On the above Images here is what I would of have done different but not to changing your point of view.

1. I would of have been a bit more center and spread the vehicles out in order to make a U shape but in a symmetrical kind of way. A way that it would of have fill the entire frame.

2. I would of have removed that stupid **** on top of that car.  I hate just looking at it.

3. I would of have light the vehicles way differently .. In order to created nice highlights on the vehicles. As it stand right now, there aren't any real highlights or lighting that will focus the viewer in the vehicles. my eyes are kept wondering so I keep going back to the left side for some reason. Maybe because I'm wondering whats back there or because its lighter. 

4. I would of have elevated myself in order for the viewer to see all the cars vices guessing or struggling to make the cars out.

That's just me ...

Here are a few more

Notre Dame - Front

Gargoyle on top of Notre Dame 

Sky line of the back of Notre Dame

Back of Notre Dame

These are you pictures? My bad dude - I didn't mean to put it down like that. I thought you was using it as inspiration or something ...

Basically, IMHO you need to compose your images before you shoot them. I'm guilty of not doing this then I kick my self in the *** for getting home and saying damn.. I miss that?

On the above Images here is what I would of have done different but not to changing your point of view.

1. I would of have been a bit more center and spread the vehicles out in order to make a U shape but in a symmetrical kind of way. A way that it would of have fill the entire frame.

2. I would of have removed that stupid **** on top of that car.  I hate just looking at it.

3. I would of have light the vehicles way differently .. In order to created nice highlights on the vehicles. As it stand right now, there aren't any real highlights or lighting that will focus the viewer in the vehicles. my eyes are kept wondering so I keep going back to the left side for some reason. Maybe because I'm wondering whats back there or because its lighter. 

4. I would of have elevated myself in order for the viewer to see all the cars vices guessing or struggling to make the cars out.

That's just me ...

Haha yea It's all good. Constructive criticism never hurt nobody. That's what I'm looking for anyways. I'm guilty of composition all the time. When I start shooting around cars I get excited and just start clicking away without really composing anything lol. Composition is my main weakness so I really need to begin working on that. For the lighting there was no professional lighting really set up it was just the cloudy day that I was working off of. If I had a ladder I would've gotten on top of it but that wasn't an option for me.

Basically here's a breakdown of the situation. It was during Monterey car week and another forum that I'm apart of does a yearly white car photo shoot every year at different locations. This year was no different so I really couldn't control what was/wasn't on the cars since I don't own them. It might be my camera (D3100) that doesn't have the greatest image sensor so the highlights may not be shown to the fullest. I will upgrade and get some new glass when I save up.

Here's a few shots of what another photographer was able to capture. Much better than mine obviously.

If anyone's interested in the full set https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151394521784649.1073741832.61459154648&type=1

Haha yea It's all good. Constructive criticism never hurt nobody. That's what I'm looking for anyways. I'm guilty of composition all the time. When I start shooting around cars I get excited and just start clicking away without really composing anything lol. Composition is my main weakness so I really need to begin working on that. For the lighting there was no professional lighting really set up it was just the cloudy day that I was working off of. If I had a ladder I would've gotten on top of it but that wasn't an option for me.

Basically here's a breakdown of the situation. It was during Monterey car week and another forum that I'm apart of does a yearly white car photo shoot every year at different locations. This year was no different so I really couldn't control what was/wasn't on the cars since I don't own them. It might be my camera (D3100) that doesn't have the greatest image sensor so the highlights may not be shown to the fullest. I will upgrade and get some new glass when I save up.

Here's a few shots of what another photographer was able to capture. Much better than mine obviously.

If anyone's interested in the full set https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151394521784649.1073741832.61459154648&type=1
As you can see from the 2nd and 3rd photo, perspective makes a huge difference. Either get down low to the ground or get up high.

A D3100 or a D800 wouldn't have made much of a difference. Light is light and since there wasn't any kind of flash/reflectors or anything available to light up such a large group of cars, your results would have remained fairly the same with any camera.

Getting shutter happy is a natural tendency. But what I learned (or at least still trying to learn) is that it's so much more satisfying having one epic shot that wows everybody from a session than a 100 so so pics.

With no models/people in the scene, my personal preference probably would have been to pop the camera on the tripod and bracket your shots for some HDR... 
nerd.gif

It's awesome seeing all the creative criticism, and general photography help in here. Love this thread, mang!

I found this video super helpful for some reason. Just understanding light at night and bokeh. I swear to this day, I have the hardest time shooting proper photos with bokeh. This video help just understand the little things.

Pretty good video stuff too on just simple things to some straight up crazy propped pics: http://www.youtube.com/user/TheSlantedLens/videos

As you can see from the 2nd and 3rd photo, perspective makes a huge difference. Either get down low to the ground or get up high.

A D3100 or a D800 wouldn't have made much of a difference. Light is light and since there wasn't any kind of flash/reflectors or anything available to light up such a large group of cars, your results would have remained fairly the same with any camera.

Getting shutter happy is a natural tendency. But what I learned (or at least still trying to learn) is that it's so much more satisfying having one epic shot that wows everybody from a session than a 100 so so pics.

With no models/people in the scene, my personal preference probably would have been to pop the camera on the tripod and bracket your shots for some HDR... 
nerd.gif

I guess I just need to work on my composition a lot more. I agree that having that one shot that amazes everyone is much better than having a bunch of shots. Thanks for your feedback though.

nerd.gif

I agree that having that one shot that amazes everyone is much better than having a bunch of different shots that are blah. I'll be looking for composition next time I go shooting. I like HDR a lot but for this shot I wanted to get a more realistic look. Thanks for the feedback though.

[COLOR=#red]^^^^^ Color me uncultured or stupid or whatever but I never ask for constructive criticism for my pictures. I'll show them to people and they can either like it or not. It's my vision, my story, my camera, and my idea...the second I start listening to other people's opinion of what it "should" be like then it's no longer mine exclusively.

[/COLOR]

^^^^^ Color me uncultured or stupid or whatever but I never ask for constructive criticism for my pictures. I'll show them to people and they can either like it or not. It's my vision, my story, my camera, and my idea...the second I start listening to other people's opinion of what it "should" be like then it's no longer mine exclusively.

Anyone can have a vision - A good one, maybe not, but is theirs ...

Some people need to sit back and listen to what others might have to say - whether is accepted or not, that's on the individual. Seems to me that ifi people have negative things to say or how they would of have done something different in regards to your images, you take stuff personally rather than learning from it (or just saying thanks and moving on).

In addition, a lot times people come to you a photographer because of their work (portfolio). However, a lot of the times they want to change little things here and there. The photographer can't flat out say, that's not my vision or they can try to express their concerns, but ultimatly they either listen to their custumers or pass on the job. They are paying for your talents and their vision is what I call it.

Lastly, the critisims he received is not a bad one - mostly composition and lighting and what others might have done. In high fashion - this **** is normal ..having this mentality will get you no where in the present time. $.02

Last edited:
[COLOR=#red]^^^^^ Color me uncultured or stupid or whatever but I never ask for constructive criticism for my pictures. I'll show them to people and they can either like it or not. It's my vision, my story, my camera, and my idea...the second I start listening to other people's opinion of what it "should" be like then it's no longer mine exclusively.
[/COLOR]

It never hurts to get feedback from others and their thoughts. I'll take anything I can get if it helps me become a better photographer. Composition is a big weakness of mine so I needed to work on that anyways. I guess people can take it for what it is but I want to become a better photographer and maybe in the future do it as a business and really express my talent so I'll always listen to what people have to say whether it be good or bad.

Fall semester just started! I'll be getting into the darkroom this coming Wednesday to develop my first roll!

I found out we can't develop color film, B&W only... it sucks because I was looking forward to developing about 10+ color rolls that I've shot, the oldest one dating to about 3 years ago!

With that said, I'm going to take all these rolls and have them developed at a Walgreens... about 10 bucks a roll, smh. Oh well.

I'm interested in buying a scanner to turn my negatives into high resolution files... anybody have any experience with scanners?

Here are a couple shots I haven't posted...

Last edited:

[/COLOR]

Not really sure what part of the learning curve you are on, but in order to get better one must accept criticism and learn from it...nobody picks up a camera and is a master at all things photography related off the bat...you must be humble, yes love your art, have pride in it, but know that if someone tells you, "dude that picture is OOF" or "dude next time compose the picture this way" it might be something that'll make you better.

Since day 1 I've welcomed criticism and to this day I do..,because that to me was the most important tool in progressing.

test

how is it that you post regular size pictures?

damn we just went over this ... 

Last edited:
I do not have that option ...

I usually just click on the insert image icon as I don't have any other options to insert images .. a screenshot would be helpful. I can't believe I forgot this man ... SMH

I do not have that option ...

I usually just click on the insert image icon as I don't have any other options to insert images .. a screenshot would be helpful. I can't believe I forgot this man ... SMH

Here you go my man. Hope this helps

Some shots from today's chili bowl contest in SF. Had to edit them in black in whites cause the color shots looked horrible. Plus the skaters didn't contrast well with the crowd in the background.

bw-1.jpg
bw-2.jpg
bw-3a.jpg

Back
Top Bottom