The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

I'll have a decent amount of stuff next week since I am in Chicago this weekend. Already got some night stuff that I can't wait to edit.

HOD.

I really want to go shooting at Yosemite. Were you camping? Where did you stay?

I don't wanna crash at a hotel, I wanna sleep in my truck and possibly get mauled by a bear!

It's been a minute NT.

Good Evening

I know I don't post pictures much anymore (post grad work life hasn't left much time for it), but I'll still make time to talk about gear. Amazon has 5D mark III body for $2,699.00. Just a heads up to anyone who was interested in making that leap.

Amazon product ASIN B007FGYZFI

This is super tempting right now but my budget is only 1600 :\

its a different animal but that'd be about enough to get you one of these new sony full frame mirror-less joints that will drop in december:

http://store.sony.com/-/cat-27-catid-All-Alpha-a7-Cameras

lots of good options out here

HOD.

I really want to go shooting at Yosemite. Were you camping? Where did you stay?
I don't wanna crash at a hotel, I wanna sleep in my truck and possibly get mauled by a bear!

I'm from the bay so I just woke up early and made it a day trip.

Last edited:
its a different animal but that'd be about enough to get you one of these new sony full frame mirror-less joints that will drop in december:

http://store.sony.com/-/cat-27-catid-All-Alpha-a7-Cameras

lots of good options out here

Thanks for the suggestion. Didn't even consider Sony but I'll look into it. Might have to wait for a few reviews first. The fact that this has wi-fi is :smokin

mirror-less cams with the technology bundled inside them are the future, sony's wifi is somewhat bunz but it works well enough though...these new ones will have nfc, which will be super useful granted you have a device that enables it ; shame more phones & tablets do not have that capability...

these camera manufacturers are getting better image quality in increasingly smaller packages every year, it won't be too long before someone figures out how to get lytro functionality with slr image qulaity in a rather compact body

So I updated to Mavericks and when I open LR4 the tools palet on the right is totally different and I'm not feelin it. Does anyone know if I can change it to the old one? I liked how in the old one it showed the colors instead of just saying blue, green, orange, etc.

How do you guys select your focus points when taking a photo?

Do you move the focus point to one of the 9, 11, 51 focus points?

Or do you just use the center point and then frame that way like in the good ol' days?

I prefer the latter.

How do you guys select your focus points when taking a photo?

Do you move the focus point to one of the 9, 11, 51 focus points?

Or do you just use the center point and then frame that way like in the good ol' days?

I prefer the latter.
I prefer manually selecting the focus point with the dpad on the back of the camera. When shooting people I always place the nearest focus point right on the eye (and then recompose slightly if needed).

I always felt that using the center point focus to focus on the side of the image and then recompose introduced too much margin of error on your focus point especially when shooting wide open.

I like the first one Fong.

The WB on the rest seems a bit off... which is understandable as the temp of the lights varies greatly.

^^^^^Well, I normally shoot at like 3200K for white balance. It makes it so it's not too intense yellow but yellow enough to look sort of natural. Then I run it all in Photoshop and tweak it the way I like. I know some of the coloring seems off but most of it has to do with my white balance on camera and not me adjusting it in Photoshop.

92384f1e_Cat.jpeg

I just shot this photo on my new Canon M. This was about ISO 800 and I didn't touch it up that much in photoshop.

I picked the M up on CL for a decent price. I always wanted a second camera for when I want to go to concerts and what not and not always use my phone. So far so good as far as the new firmware update. Focus seems pretty good but of course I really have nothing to compare to since I never used the old firmware. The image quality is pretty damn good with the 22mm f/2 but of course this will be another issue on moving subjects. Only real grips so far is the controls and how to shoot with it. It is pretty hard to shoot single handed and on manual. The best way is to use two hands and it sort of seems dumb to use two hands on such a small camera. Tap to focus and shoot is pretty spot on. So far a pretty great camera and for the price considering it was so damn expensive when it first came out.

Back
Top Bottom