The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

Thanks. I'm just paranoid on getting it dirty lol. I took a few shots of the sky today and saw a bit of a difference, haven't tested it out for reflections yet but I can't wait!

The MRC coating should repel dirt and liquid.

Those of you with Light room can you post some presets that you use.

I shoot portraits. My process is import the pics into LR5, I do my camera calibration with the profiles I generated with my Color Checker Passport, remove chromatic aberration, enable lens profile. Send it to PS to process skin and make local edits. Send it back to LR5, hit is with a VSCO plugin, and tweak that to my liking.

Got my A7 with the Zeiss 55 f/1.8 for $2000 brand new today. Went shooting right after work. Didn't really adjust the settings so I feel like I didn't use it to its full potential today. I'm still really impressed with the results for my first day with the camera. I don't miss my D600 at all, as long as I get a few more batteries for the A7 at least. Here are a few shots:

Got my A7 with the Zeiss 55 f/1.8 for $2000 brand new today. Went shooting right after work. Didn't really adjust the settings so I feel like I didn't use it to its full potential today. I'm still really impressed with the results for my first day with the camera. I don't miss my D600 at all, as long as I get a few more batteries for the A7 at least. Here are a few shots:

much detail, such sharp! sick dude!! Even being that you haven't spent much time with it, do you see any way that the a7 might be limiting, is there anything you don't like or see your self having to get used to?

much detail, such sharp! sick dude!! Even being that you haven't spent much time with it, do you see any way that the a7 might be limiting, is there anything you don't like or see your self having to get used to?

For now, the only thing that bothers me is the battery life. And the fact that Sony didn't include a wall charger. You have to charge it through the camera. I love the electronic viewfinder since I'm pretty blind so it helps me see a lot better than an optical viewfinder. It's so light too, I hardly feel it around my neck compared to my D600. If the a7s is reasonably priced i'll upgrade to that for sure. Just for the improved low-light capabilities.

I'm telling you guys, for the non-sports/wildlife photographer, mirrorless is the move! Much lighter and more compact than traditional DSLRs. Definitely a lot easier to carry around. I would say the main things you are losing by going to mirrorless are, the optical viewfinder (some mirrorless systems have both OVF and EVF), battery life, and lens selection. The compactness and weight reduction is enough to jump ship. Y'all should try it. IQ is pretty much the same.

How is the focus system on the A7? That is the only thing I hear bad about it.

I definitely think the gap between mirrorless and DLSRs are getting smaller but alas, it always depends on what type of shooter you are. I can't wait to see one day when some photographer shoots for a wedding and pulls out a mirrorless camera out of their bag.

^ I really like your pics. Great eye.

I need to make a flickr but I've been holding off since I hate using yahoo mail haha. Anyway around that?

Ok. So I finally settled on getting a 70D. Should I keep my 50D as a backup or sell it to recoup some of the cost?

Last edited:
Ok. So I finally settled on getting a 70D. Should I keep my 50D as a backup or sell it to recoup some of the cost?

You won't get much. Probably a little under $400 or so depending on the clicks and cosmetic damage. I still have my Nikon D90 and I think I could get it for the same price but I just keep it forwhatever reason as a backup just in case anything happens to my other cameras.

Last edited:
How is the focus system on the A7? That is the only thing I hear bad about it.

I definitely think the gap between mirrorless and DLSRs are getting smaller but alas, it always depends on what type of shooter you are. I can't wait to see one day when some photographer shoots for a wedding and pulls out a mirrorless camera out of their bag.

You'd be surprised. There's quite a bit of mirrorless wedding shooters out there.

Any of you have any trouble bringing your cameras to a baseball game? I know at basketball games they usually have restrictions on the lengths of your lens. Do they do this at baseball games too?

Any of you have any trouble bringing your cameras to a baseball game? I know at basketball games they usually have restrictions on the lengths of your lens. Do they do this at baseball games too?

From my experience no. Baseball is pretty lenient on things. Still one of the only places where you can bring food inside too.

You'd be surprised. There's quite a bit of mirrorless wedding shooters out there.

Oh word? Man....mirrorless is like the Serato of DJing.

ha! if by that you mean that you basically get the basic of the craft (i.e physical turntables, but digital libraries & basic camera controls but great image quality in small form factors) and less of the physical strain/setup (crates of records - big dslr/lenses) yea, pretty much...

and there definitely could be a stigma too, big cameras & lenses just look pro, i could see how showing up to do a pro shoot with these rinky dink looking small mirrorless cameras might have people second guessing the photographer...just like people used to look down on cats showing up to the party with some cdjs to spin on...

So idk what your guys' opinions are on freelensing, but I've actually been having a lot of fun with it and it's something to mess around with if you're looking to try something different or aren't too scared to try. I'm looking forward to trying it during the day for some natural light leaks.

Back
Top Bottom