The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

On the verge of copping a Phantom3

Yay or Nay

almost wish i would have waited for the phantom 3, was talking to a guy that had one; all the improved features over the phantom 2 are really convenient and make it much easier to fly (though the camera that comes with it is great, i don't like that you do not have the option to use a more versatile gopro) depends on how & what you want to do with it though? also depending on where you live it can be difficult to find places to practice safely. uavs are super fun though & addictive...

almost wish i would have waited for the phantom 3, was talking to a guy that had one; all the improved features over the phantom 2 are really convenient and make it much easier to fly (though the camera that comes with it is great, i don't like that you do not have the option to use a more versatile gopro) depends on how & what you want to do with it though? also depending on where you live it can be difficult to find places to practice safely. uavs are super fun though & addictive...

I would just do short vids and mostly aerial still shots of NYC....seen some dudes pull some sick shots over the Brooklyn Bridge...lol

I'm pretty sure these things will be banned in a year or two...lol

SMH

This IG craze has people trying to take that next level image that will get them followers .. LMAO

I woudn't buy that **** and honestly speaking if that thing was flying over my house or a bldg I was rooming in, I would bring it down.

The invasion of privacy is at an all time high there ...

I would just do short vids and mostly aerial still shots of NYC....seen some dudes pull some sick shots over the Brooklyn Bridge...lol

I'm pretty sure these things will be banned in a year or two...lol

while not impossible, on a technical level, especially for people not experienced with flying these things; they can be really difficult to control in urban places where there isn't much open space and ALOT of interference from wifi/other signals...even with with how sound the software is, it is far from perfect (the same cat i was talking to about the phantom 3 told me how he literally lost his $3,000+ dji inspire - and he still didn't have ANY clue where it was) and has a decent learning curve...

i doubt they will be banned, because they are essentially no different than rc aircraft that have been around for decades; all the same common sense rules apply. the major difference is all that these uavs assisted flight software is so good & so easy to fly, it instills a bit of false confidence (i can personally admit to this!) and people coming into the hobby, it is easy to see how that confidence encourages irresponsibility, there is some risk involved that multiplies by some factor the closer you are to people & property...

SMH

This IG craze has people trying to take that next level image that will get them followers .. LMAO

I woudn't buy that **** and honestly speaking if that thing was flying over my house or a bldg I was rooming in, I would bring it down.

The invasion of privacy is at an all time high there ...

definitely the 'do it for the gram' mentality is real, but it is overstated, there have always people looking to use technology interesting/irresponsible ways & people are/have generally always been narcissistic, social media/technology has just made a easier to see/put it on display...about privacy concerns, i have had many discussion with people who always mention concerns in this matter, which i think is interesting...i don't really get it? these things are hella loud, you aren't sneaking up on anyone with these and the cameras usually mounted to them, while good aren't really that good that people need to be concerned about being filmed remotely, it is kind of ridiculous especially given the world we live in. 'drones' should be the least of people's concerns in the privacy discussion, but i can admit to being biased in this opinion

Went out to shoot the milky way.

My iso game weak.
What camera you using?

Just took my newly copped 6D out for night shooting and I'm blown away with how well it does in low light. Joint shoots at 2500 ISO like it's 150. My old 7d was iffy above 1000 even.

Any suggestions on a good backpack?
I'm looking at Lowepro Photo Sport 200 AW for dual purpose of hiking/photography.

^Where's that at?!

Can you guys tell where the clone work was done here? I'm very bad at it and only spent about 10min doing it.

Upper left above the second palm tree?

Yup, the sky is messed up isn't it.

It's not bad actually. It's hard to notice. The sky is crazy hard for me to do cause of the different shades of blue. Good work.

Thought I'd give timelapse a shot.

https://scontent.cdninstagram.com/hphotos-xaf1/t50.2886-16/11803273_1491852651128850_515218059_n.mp4

Definitely not enough photos :lol:

Last edited:
Got a canon 1000D that I've been practicing with, i get the err 01 depending on the zoom/focus of the camera but sometimes it just shoots fine. mostly when i zoom too much or when it's too dark i get the err 01, I tried cleaning the lens and all but I still keep on getting the error. Can someone help? Thanks!

3 different images from the same night ...

21208388292_aa49f53b6f_c.jpg

21030661950_1fbab7858b_c.jpg

21192525866_c8f923446c_c.jpg

thinking about picking up the Sony a6000 body and the 35mm 1.8 lens OSS next to go along with my DSLR. Gonna use it more for everyday shooting and use the DSLR for specialty type shooting.

thinking about picking up the Sony a6000 body and the 35mm 1.8 lens OSS next to go along with my DSLR. Gonna use it more for everyday shooting and use the DSLR for specialty type shooting.

That's me all day. I bought the a6000 when I upgraded to full frame because I didn't want to lug around the bigger more expensive camera. I bought a 50mm 1.8 OSS from craigslist and actually became friends with the seller who is an amazing photographer. The 50mm is a bit to long of a focal range for what I want out of my a6000 and the kit lens isn't fast enough. I ordered the 35mm last week and will be delivered tomorrow. Maybe I can post my impressions of the lens and some images when I get it.

NIKETALK!!!!!!

Okay, so yesterday I took a stroll to my local swap-meet aka flee market and came across two NIkkor 85mm. Both items are new. I decided to open up both items and inspect for any wear and tear but as the salesman said, "they are new." I asked for a price and the guy said $150 a pop. I went home and did some research and saw that these lenses were worth $400 plus each. (I have a DX body which still supports this FX lens) I went back with my DSLR D3200 body to try out both lenses. Both items work flawlessly and after negotiating I gave the guy $200 for both lenses. I have decided to keep one for myself the second one was placed on Amazon and within five hours I had sold the item for $400 dollars. #WINNING

Basically, I got my lens for free and still earned a $200 profit.

What do you guys think?

FYI: Couple weeks ago i also bought a $80 tripod for $15 and a wireless receiver for my camera for $5.

I will ship item tomorrow morning. The lens on the right is the one I'm keeping the other is the one I sold. Both items have all original packaging.

Last edited:
NIKETALK!!!!!!
Okay, so yesterday I took a stroll to my local swap-meet aka flee market and came across two NIkkor 85mm. Both items are new. I decided to open up both items and inspect for any wear and tear but as the salesman said, "they are new." I asked for a price and the guy said $150 a pop. I went home and did some research and saw that these lenses were worth $400 plus each. (I have a DX body which still supports this FX lens) I went back with my DSLR D3200 body to try out both lenses. Both items work flawlessly and after negotiating I gave the guy $200 for both lenses. I have decided to keep one for myself the second one was placed on Amazon and within five hours I had sold the item for $400 dollars. #WINNING
Basically, I got my lens for free and still earned a $200 profit.

What do you guys think?

FYI: Couple weeks ago i also bought a $80 tripod for $15 and a wireless receiver for my camera for $5.

I will ship item tomorrow morning. The lens on the right is the one I'm keeping the other is the one I sold. Both items have all original packaging.

Dope lens. It's my workhorse for portraits. Great quality, you'll be happy with your steal

That's me all day. I bought the a6000 when I upgraded to full frame because I didn't want to lug around the bigger more expensive camera. I bought a 50mm 1.8 OSS from craigslist and actually became friends with the seller who is an amazing photographer. The 50mm is a bit to long of a focal range for what I want out of my a6000 and the kit lens isn't fast enough. I ordered the 35mm last week and will be delivered tomorrow. Maybe I can post my impressions of the lens and some images when I get it.

A first hand review would be greatly appreciated. I am thinking of purchasing one specifically to do concerts/music festivals/etc

What are the mirrorless shooters doing about taking their camera around with them on a daily basis? a regular bookbag or something else?

This was about 15 minutes south of my house (San Jose).

This location in particular has pretty low light pollution.

There was a starwatch party held by this educational organization. There were like 30 people set up with telescopes and they'd show some cool ****. This lady showed me Saturn. Could actually see the ring.

Was an incredible thing to do. Moon wasn't out or anything but you could still see sort of clear because of the stars.

ha, yea it helps to think in terms duration for timelapse, to get that real smooth look most do 24 frames per second (fps)...so if you multiply the number of seconds you think you'll want the end video tp be by 24 (or however many fps you will render your timelapse at) and that is how many still shots you need...depending on the subject matter you can ease up on the number of fps but obviously the more frames the smoother the motion (and the more storage you will need as well!) generally...

First attempts.

way better than my first few tries at this, how dark was the area you shot in? could you actually see the milky way just by sight in the night sky?

What are the mirrorless shooters doing about taking their camera around with them on a daily basis? a regular bookbag or something else?

i usually have a hoodie/light jacket on, so i can stash my camera in the pocket; i can't really deal with neck straps & even the shoulder harness joint i have can be somewhat cumbersome...letely i've been rocking with a hand strap

Last edited:
Yeah, you could definitely see it with the naked eye. Just had to wait a little to let your eyes adjust to the darkness.

Here's a light pollution map. Pin is where the photo was taken.

Last edited:
Like somewhat stated previously - I hate when I have to make decisions like this ...

Which one you guys like better??? I personally like them both ...

Back
Top Bottom