The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

That lantern festival look sick. Saw some other photos of that online somewhere. Visually it looks insane.

This is not my photo of course but this is what it looks like as a long exposure:

15668014532_e7de372cc4_b.jpg

rescanned all my film with better settings and edited them much better. Posted a bunch from my first film roll ever earlier but heres a few.

Vinyl! by Myles Parkhurst, on Flickr

Akai MPC 2000XL by Myles Parkhurst, on Flickr

Happiness! by Myles Parkhurst, on Flickr

Suisun,California by Myles Parkhurst, on Flickr

Chillin! by Myles Parkhurst, on Flickr

8 Ball by Myles Parkhurst, on Flickr

Carquinez Bridge by Myles Parkhurst, on Flickr

Moped by Myles Parkhurst, on Flickr

Focusrite ISA One by Myles Parkhurst, on Flickr

That lantern festival look sick. Saw some other photos of that online somewhere. Visually it looks insane.

This is not my photo of course but this is what it looks like as a long exposure:

15668014532_e7de372cc4_b.jpg

Looks like two pictures stitched together since there is no motion blur on the people.

So I have made a few updates to my 2011 MacBook and this thing is amazing now. I put in a Samsung SSD 850 Pro a few months ago to get my computer and apps boot faster but the down side was that they are super expensive so I decided to get the 256GB one which has limited me to what I can put on it. I told myself I could always use an external but it has been an inconvenience to carry an external with me everywhere. Yesterday I removed the optical bay and installed a 2TB drive for the extra space I needed. I love my new setup!

Don't mind the dust, this is before I hit it with some compressed air.

Couple of old shots I look of my co-worker, I re-edited them using frequency & separation. I'm still learning but I like how these came out vs the 1st time I started to edit them

*Bonus*

I don't know if you should have went as far as frequency separation for an image like this. If you want to practice there are some places you can find RAW images to work on, like here RetouchingAcademy.com. I am gonna start doing one on one classes for guys out here in the ATL area since I really didn't get much help coming up. Here is a recent edit I have done from one of my shoots.

I don't know if you should have went as far as frequency separation for an image like this. If you want to practice there are some places you can find RAW images to work on, like here RetouchingAcademy.com. I am gonna start doing one on one classes for guys out here in the ATL area since I really didn't get much help coming up. Here is a recent edit I have done from one of my shoots.

What would've been the proper technique to use? ive been having a hard time retouching skin in PS. I would watch tutorials and idk but things weren't turning out well.
Since I found one I could follow all the way I started applying it to images I had.
thanks for the site i'll check that out now.
When will you start having the one on one classes?

its dope that your doing that because many other photographers don't help except when I come to NT

So I have made a few updates to my 2011 MacBook and this thing is amazing now. I put in a Samsung SSD 850 Pro a few months ago to get my computer and apps boot faster but the down side was that they are super expensive so I decided to get the 256GB one which has limited me to what I can put on it. I told myself I could always use an external but it has been an inconvenience to carry an external with me everywhere. Yesterday I removed the optical bay and installed a 2TB drive for the extra space I needed. I love my new setup!

Don't mind the dust, this is before I hit it with some compressed air.
good stuff

its like you got a brand new laptop

What would've been the proper technique to use? ive been having a hard time retouching skin in PS. I would watch tutorials and idk but things weren't turning out well.
Since I found one I could follow all the way I started applying it to images I had.
thanks for the site i'll check that out now.
When will you start having the one on one classes?

its dope that your doing that because many other photographers don't help except when I come to NT

I use FS for beauty images when I have issues with blotchy skin or when I want to change the makeup. Simple D&B is sometimes all you need. Retouching is tricky and I tell everyone that asks me about photography to first learn everything about your camera first. When working with people posing is important. Nothing is more important than light tho.

The classes I will be having in the future will encompass lighting, posing, and retouching. I have done a few in the past but I want to fine tune it a bit. I will set up a shoot with a model and give pointers during the shoot. I'm gonna start them up in March and see how it goes.

I use FS for beauty images when I have issues with blotchy skin or when I want to change the makeup. Simple D&B is sometimes all you need. Retouching is tricky and I tell everyone that asks me about photography to first learn everything about your camera first. When working with people posing is important. Nothing is more important than light tho.

The classes I will be having in the future will encompass lighting, posing, and retouching. I have done a few in the past but I want to fine tune it a bit. I will set up a shoot with a model and give pointers during the shoot. I'm gonna start them up in March and see how it goes.
those are nice. Hopefully ill be able to attend if I'm still living here

Hey all, has anyone here made the switch from Nikon to canon, or vice versa? The d90 I’ve been using to learn the ropes for the past couple of years is no longer usable as my mom accidentally dropped it whilst visiting. Fortunately, It was dated and felt it was time for an upgrade anyways, as I feel like its time to enter the realm of shooting with a full frame. I haven’t invested in any quality glass so I feel like now is a good time to make a decision in regard to which brand to move forward with as I will most likely put money into better lenses for any future bodies that I will adopt in the years that follow. The goal would be to eventually own a 24-70mm but in the meantime use a 50mm to help navigate my way through the functions and os of whichever body. Between the d750 and mark iii, I understand that the differences are like splitting hairs at this point, and the choice ultimately comes down to which battles you can live and live without, but I just wanted to check in with NT to see if anyone else might be able to offer some insight and perspective, or personal experience.

Yeah the lantern festival is definitely a great experience, unfortunately the images of the mass lantern release that you see on natgeo and google is a paid event sponsored by a local university (about $130) and was sold out well in advance back in like September. I only participated in the local festivities since I was unable to attend. Sorry for the lengthy post, any help appreciated.

Last edited:
Hey all, has anyone here made the switch from Nikon to canon, or vice versa? The d90 I’ve been using to learn the ropes for the past couple of years is no longer usable as my mom accidentally dropped it whilst visiting. Fortunately, It was dated and felt it was time for an upgrade anyways, as I feel like its time to enter the realm of shooting with a full frame. I haven’t invested in any quality glass so I feel like now is a good time to make a decision in regard to which brand to move forward with as I will most likely put money into better lenses for any future bodies that I will adopt in the years that follow. The goal would be to eventually own a 24-70mm but in the meantime use a 50mm to help navigate my way through the functions and os of whichever body. Between the d750 and mark iii, I understand that the differences are like splitting hairs at this point, and the choice ultimately comes down to which battles you can live and live without, but I just wanted to check in with NT to see if anyone else might be able to offer some insight and perspective, or personal experience.

Yeah the lantern festival is definitely a great experience, unfortunately the images of the mass lantern release that you see on natgeo and google is a paid event sponsored by a local university (about $130) and was sold out well in advance back in like September. I only participated in the local festivities since I was unable to attend. Sorry for the lengthy post, any help appreciated.

for what it is worth, i don't have much experience with dslrs so i can't say much about those type of cameras, but if you don't mind having to manual focus, i think mirrorless is worth considering as well; especially given the selection of quality glass that becomes available...while the general consensus is that they can be a bit of an acquired taste, they are very capable cameras if they fit your shooting needs/style...

i was talking much trash on the iPad pro, but i messed around and went to the apple store and messed around with it last week...and it's pretty sweet! it definitely has its shortcomings, but the pencil is legit dope for my purposes...it sucks because on some level i do feel like they are getting over on me (again!!!) but i'm genuinely impressed by how well it works

Last edited:
bjamez20... u take amazing photos... wow...

i wanna go to SF and shoot again now :rofl: :pimp:

Thanks, there's so many great spots out by SF, been trying to take advantage of it lately.

Nice bjamez20. What time are you heading out there for sunrise shots? I know that was a cold morning.

Got out there around 5:30 this morning, took another 20 minutes or so to hike down to the cove. Kinda spooky trekking out there solo in the pitch black. I use this Rise app for sunrise/sunset times, and try to get out before first light.

I had the D90 and made the switch back to Canon. I say back to Canon cause I had a Rebel XTI as my first camera and got the Nikon cause it had video, which I never use and don't use even with my newer cameras. Honestly with cameras nowadays, you really can't go wrong. At the time when I got a Mark 2, I wanted it for it's ISO power but now ISO strengths are so common that there are so many cameras that perform very similar. I think the current ISO king is either the D800 or the Sony A7R2 with it's great dynamic range but even a Mark 3 will get you by with any general things to shoot and of course there will always be newer cameras in the future.

By the end if it, I think it call comes down to lenses. I went back to Canon cause I was persuaded by their L lenses. I can't even say they are that much better than Nikon lenses but the Canon lens library and with 3rd party companies are just hard to beat. And only about half a year ago, I still wanted to go back to Nikon cause I loved there Nikkor 12-24mm lens but with the new Tamron 15-30mm that seemed to outperform it, I literally don't think I will ever go back to Nikon now.

My advice is to check up on the lenses that you really want and see if either or lens is better on the Canon or Nikon. Also factor in things as price and see if you can even afford these lenses cause that can be an issue. And don't neglect third party lenses now like Sigma cause they are really making a move in making great lenses and for a fraction of the cost.

Got out there around 5:30 this morning, took another 20 minutes or so to hike down to the cove. Kinda spooky trekking out there solo in the pitch black. I use this Rise app for sunrise/sunset times, and try to get out before first light.

Right on. I'll DL that app. I can never even wake up that early for sunrise stuff but I find sunsets are a little more colorful and easier to shoot. I hear you on the solo grind in getting shots. I've done that so many times just to get a photo.

Back
Top Bottom