The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

You're discounting the specs of the camera and the full frame body to compare it to. A D750 isn't the workhorse a D500 is. The D750 (and the D6xx) counterpart is the D7xxx line. You need to compare the D500 to the D5, which is going to cost you ~ $7k. That is why people will get the D500 at $2k.

Not trying to discount it just putting Full Frame above all while trying to acknowledge the specs. Specs are great and hopefully I will get my hands on one but I know when it comes to cameras full frame is basically the goal or is at least preferred over cropped

Still leaning on getting the D500 now instead of the D750 based mostly off the video capabilities. Wish my D7100 wasn't stolen cause I'd sell it to pay a solid 3rd of the D500 price and not have to battle up hill entirely.

You're discounting the specs of the camera and the full frame body to compare it to. A D750 isn't the workhorse a D500 is. The D750 (and the D6xx) counterpart is the D7xxx line. You need to compare the D500 to the D5, which is going to cost you ~ $7k. That is why people will get the D500 at $2k.

Not trying to discount it just putting Full Frame above all while trying to acknowledge the specs. Specs are great and hopefully I will get my hands on one but I know when it comes to cameras full frame is basically the goal or is at least preferred over cropped

Still leaning on getting the D500 now instead of the D750 based mostly off the video capabilities. Wish my D7100 wasn't stolen cause I'd sell it to pay a solid 3rd of the D500 price and not have to battle up hill entirely.

d750 is great for video, is cheaper, and is full frame :nerd:

d750 is great for video, is cheaper, and is full frame
nerd.gif
You know how it is when something new comes out and common sense no longer applies because the other thing is "NEW"? That's where I am now, but I won't be seeing either camera anytime soon so I'm just talkin'

d750 is great for video, is cheaper, and is full frame :nerd:
You know how it is when something new comes out and common sense no longer applies because the other thing is "NEW"? That's where I am now, but I won't be seeing either camera anytime soon so I'm just talkin'

dude im the same way.

I broke my heart to buy a 5d mk 2 instead of a mk 3 just cuz the 3 was newer :lol:

Not sure if I ever shared this story.....

So about a year ago I came across a photographer that was looking for a headshot. I responded saying I needed one too since I am always on the wrong side of the camera. I told him that I could meet him at a studio not too far from my home but he suggested we shoot on his side of town. I agreed got a fresh cut and a new button down from good ol' H&M only to be catfished. The address he gave me was for a public library and buddy had on two dingy blue shirts, adidas pants, and some dollar store flip flops. Still not judging I asked if he had any equipment, he replies "yeah bruh", and pulls out a plastic Kroger bag with a sony a7 in it. He shot in some kind of auto mode with my lighting setup; he was snapping at like 1/500 with my speed lights which made no sense at all. I still wanted to deliver a decent headshot after all the bull I went through I at least wanted to shoot and give some pointers. Anyways, this is the guy.

Damn I didn't know it was that bad for Tank. Carrying cams in a plastic bag now? Thought it couldn't get any worse than his crib.

Seriously though. They photo looks good. Did you actually send them to him somehow?

just really depends what you shoot, like if you're doing sports or wildlife - where they are using longer lenses - the crop factor becomes a plus (more reach, increased depth of field, usually more mgpxls than using a full frame camera in crop mode) and full frame not as advantageous...full frame basically absorbs a bit more light (given they way sensor tech is going this gap may be kinda negligible), the possibility of shallower depth of field, and a wider field of view- generally; things that aren't as important (other than absorbing light) for sports & widlife

Last edited:
Don't shoot any wildlife or sports, trying to fall into the print work for landscapes and/or portraits. Landscapes mostly

It's been a while since I've contributed to this thread. Doing a lot of overtime these days, and with tax season around the corner I'm gonna be looking to upgrade from the 3 bodies I have now (70d, T5i, SL1). I have a few sweet sixteens and weddings coming up in the spring.....I was borrowing a friends 6D for previous gigs...but I'm looking to make the jump to full frame and I am seriously considering a change to the A7 series. For those in the know....what are essential Sony lenses I would need should I make the jump?

Crop really isn't a deal breaker for most people. A lot of people enjoy using the body because of the extra reach they can get with the FX lenses at the same speeds as the full frame body.

I know canon users who preferred using the 7D for video than any other full frame body. It really is just matter of what you need the body to do.

What's up NT I need some advice.

I'm going to be in the market in a few months for a new cam.
I'm currently shooting a D3200. I primary shoot a bunch of random things. I want to get into shooting model's and some street photography. Maybe a pinch of sports and landscapes, but mainly those two.

I know we've all seen the big D500 and it looks dope but I'm wondering if that would be the one for me.

I was really looking at the D7200 trying to decide which will be better.

I owned the 7200 and loved it. You can get it used on Amazon, body only, for about $200 more you can get a full frame 610, body only

I started out with the D3200 and in the last year I upgraded to the D7100 and love it! Got an opened one from B&H for like $800. I basically only use a 50mm 1.8f and its perfect for what I need it for. The D7200 is pretty dope though, but if I'm gonna upgrade again it's gotta be to a full frame. I want that D750 so badddddd!

Crop really isn't a deal breaker for most people. A lot of people enjoy using the body because of the extra reach they can get with the FX lenses at the same speeds as the full frame body.

I know canon users who preferred using the 7D for video than any other full frame body. It really is just matter of what you need the body to do.

What's up NT I need some advice.

I'm going to be in the market in a few months for a new cam.
I'm currently shooting a D3200. I primary shoot a bunch of random things. I want to get into shooting model's and some street photography. Maybe a pinch of sports and landscapes, but mainly those two.

I know we've all seen the big D500 and it looks dope but I'm wondering if that would be the one for me.

I was really looking at the D7200 trying to decide which will be better.

D7100 is probably the best nikon crop body for the price.

I started out with the D3200 and in the last year I upgraded to the D7100 and love it! Got an opened one from B&H for like $800. I basically only use a 50mm 1.8f and its perfect for what I need it for. The D7200 is pretty dope though, but if I'm gonna upgrade again it's gotta be to a full frame. I want that D750 so badddddd!

I have a nikon d7000 and love it.

i was actually saving to cop a d750 but switch to canon.

D750 is so nice. I shot it with the nikon 70-200 2.8... omg i almost made a terrible financial choice that second :rofl:

D750 is so nice. I shot it with the nikon 70-200 2.8... omg i almost made a terrible financial choice that second
roll.gif
A friend of mine let me try hers and I fell in love! She was telling me that I could borrow it. I was like, "ugh, you'll never see this camera again if you let me borrow it" 
roll.gif

I shot withe Canon 70-200mm lens. It's a great lens and as sharp as you can get with a zoom but I am still partial to primes. I think if there was one zoom lens I'd own though, that would be the one.

I shot withe Canon 70-200mm lens. It's a great lens and as sharp as you can get with a zoom but I am still partial to primes. I think if there was one zoom lens I'd own though, that would be the one.

I love primes.

makes you think so much more about what you're doing.

D750 is so nice. I shot it with the nikon 70-200 2.8... omg i almost made a terrible financial choice that second :rofl:

I made the mistake of buying a 7D MK II and then playing around with a D750 w/70-200 2.8 and two days later I was legit broke :lol:

Easily the best camera for me but it has it's flaws. I can't wait to see what they do with the next one.

I LOVE MY 750! :smokin

Has anyone had a chance to play with the D500/D5 Nikon just announced? Or know enough about them to fill me in?

It's been a while since I've contributed to this thread. Doing a lot of overtime these days, and with tax season around the corner I'm gonna be looking to upgrade from the 3 bodies I have now (70d, T5i, SL1). I have a few sweet sixteens and weddings coming up in the spring.....I was borrowing a friends 6D for previous gigs...but I'm looking to make the jump to full frame and I am seriously considering a change to the A7 series. For those in the know....what are essential Sony lenses I would need should I make the jump?

well it is kinda slim picking with the sony lenses, and only you can decide on what is essential...but for street most want smaller compact prime lenses of which there are maybe 3 that qualify the 55mm f1.8, 35mm f2.8, and the 28mm f2, of which only the 35 really would fit as truly being compact...that may not be a concern for you though, the 35mm f1.4 & 90mm macro are supposed to be pretty stellar but both are also pretty massive on the small sony body. the sony zooms max out at f4 and somewhat mediocre so many just adapt the larger aperture joints from canon/nikon...

might be worth it to rent a body & a few lenses, to see if fits you...

I forgot what it was but I know there's literally almost no difference between the D7200 vs D7100

But like said earlier sometime you get caught up in the whole "newer" thing

I like the D750 because of the tilt screen it's so many shots I try but it feels so awkward. With the tilt I can get different perspectives.

I haven't upgraded across lines, but I've made a lot of jumps. They just happened to have a feature that I wanted in my current circumstance.

With my D5100, I got some lenses from a friend that wouldn't auto focus on that body. Ended up getting the D7000 because it had the built in motor to use on the older lenses. Went with the 5Dmk3 to try full frame and Canon, but didn't feel like buying more lenses so just opted for the D600 since people were selling them cheap. Bought the D610 just to avoid the oil leak defect. However, the only reason I got the D750 over Christmas was because my eye-fi card was corrupted and this had built in wifi lol.

Fong$tarr Fong$tarr Do you still do concerts or just sticking to weddings now?

I haven't upgraded across lines, but I've made a lot of jumps. They just happened to have a feature that I wanted in my current circumstance.

With my D5100, I got some lenses from a friend that wouldn't auto focus on that body. Ended up getting the D7000 because it had the built in motor to use on the older lenses. Went with the 5Dmk3 to try full frame and Canon, but didn't feel like buying more lenses so just opted for the D600 since people were selling them cheap. Bought the D610 just to avoid the oil leak defect. However, the only reason I got the D750 over Christmas was because my eye-fi card was corrupted and this had built in wifi lol.

:wow: you've owned a couple cameras!

So I mainly make my money with mini sessions for children and families. I get a few props for holidays and try to incorporate those into the sessions. The mothers eat that **** up! Anyways, I got some adorable props for Valentines Day that you might have seen if you follow me on Instagram.

As soon as I posted that picture to my business Facebook page and blog I got responses and a woman wanted to meet up today for a Valentines Day mini session for her 17 month old son who she said is impossible to photograph. I've always been great with kids and never had a problem and figured it'd be no big deal. We met at the beach today and the kid is crying, throwing himself on the ground, won't smile, won't sit on the bench with any of the props.

Long story short, it was literally the worst session I've had with a kid EVER today. I ended up sending her 16 images when I normally send AT LEAST 25 and in most of the pictures he's so sad. I want to cry.

Haven't done concerts in a while but mostly cause I had a venue like a block away from where I live that allowed cameras but they closed down. Ever since then, I haven't been down in smuggling my gear to other places. Last one I tried to shoot was a Mystikal concert but they forbid me in bringing my camera nor did they want to give me a refund for my ticket.. I just got really turned off by that and called it quits ever since then. There is a guy on here that I follow on IG that goes all the time though. Dude produces good stuff. I'll leave that kind of shooting to the younger cats.

And the wedding thing was never really a thing for me. I am just doing shoots for family but that all stopped. Most photos I take are for when I travel but even that has gotten kind of annoying cause I like to balance shooting and having fun as well. I don't always want to set up my camera and get a photo. I wonder if this is the beginning of the end. Haha.

Back
Top Bottom