The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

Nice shots from BCFest! I def want to get a festival photo pass someday :/

Jhene is on the list for concerts I wanna shoot..I was on the Forest Hills Dr tour in the UK shooting Pusha and when I tried for her, Jhene's people always found me when i took my camera out and told me no pics (even when I was hidden in the audience lol). Theyre sticklers for who shoots her :/

I wanted to add a wide angle lens to my kit and was wondering if anyone has any input on any of the lenses I'm looking at:

Canon 16-35 f4 IS
Canon 17-40 f4
Canon 16-35 f2.8 II
Tamron 15-30 f2.8 VC
Or wait around for the rumored Canon 16-35 f2.8 III

I'm mainly an event & portrait photographer and the widest I can go right now is 24mm at f4 and that has served me well thus far. I just wanted the option to go wider and to have something for landscapes and such on vacations. To answer the question of whether or not I need the f2.8, it'd be nice, but I think I'd be fine without it.

Thanks for any input :smokin

^^^^I have the Tamron and so far so good. Only gripe i have is it is heavy and it filters are expensive since you can't screw them on. Other than that considering the price and the vibration control, it's pretty good. Definitely better than the 16-35 ver 2 anyways.

^^^^I have the Tamron and so far so good. Only gripe i have is it is heavy and it filters are expensive since you can't screw them on. Other than that considering the price and the vibration control, it's pretty good. Definitely better than the 16-35 ver 2 anyways.

Yeah, I went back and saw your post about the filters; $700 :x

From what I've read, that Tamron is legit tho. I'll have to rent it or something and check it out.

Yeah, I went back and saw your post about the filters; $700 :x

From what I've read, that Tamron is legit tho. I'll have to rent it or something and check it out.

I took someone's advice on here and rented from Borrowlenses.com. A 7 day rental is like $73 give or take. I just rented the 70-200mm from them this weekend. Shipping was kind of pricey but it was a good rental to have for what I needed. They do have the Tamron on there as well. I'd say give it a rent or buy it from a place that has returns with no stocking fee. Not sure who that is though.

I wanted to add a wide angle lens to my kit and was wondering if anyone has any input on any of the lenses I'm looking at:

Canon 16-35 f4 IS
Canon 17-40 f4
Canon 16-35 f2.8 II
Tamron 15-30 f2.8 VC
Or wait around for the rumored Canon 16-35 f2.8 III

I'm mainly an event & portrait photographer and the widest I can go right now is 24mm at f4 and that has served me well thus far. I just wanted the option to go wider and to have something for landscapes and such on vacations. To answer the question of whether or not I need the f2.8, it'd be nice, but I think I'd be fine without it.

Thanks for any input
smokin.gif
Personally, I'm not sure why the 15-30 would be chosen.  The 16-35 f4 canon is comparable if not better then the tamron in image quality and distortion.  With the canon, you also can use standard sized filters, and its cheaper then the alternatives.  

Personally, I'm not sure why the 15-30 would be chosen.  The 16-35 f4 canon is comparable if not better then the tamron in image quality and distortion.  With the canon, you also can use standard sized filters, and its cheaper then the alternatives.  

All of this .

15-30 is cool but its pricey, and weighs about 323984239238 pounds.

Its probably tamrons best lens though :nerd:

16-35 f/4 is great especially with the ISO performance of the modern DSLRs.

I've shot the 17-40 f/4 a number of times. its extremely light weight. Weighs about as much as a kit lens... Distortion is pretty heavy with that lens though. gotta b careful

So, my a6000 doesn't have a "silent" mode for shooting right. How do I go about taking street shots in stealth mode? Any tips?

How does one achieve this type of shot? 

Wide angle lens?

Getting the whole building and the people in the shot is what I'm alluding to. 

Last edited:

How does one achieve this type of shot? 

Wide angle lens?

Getting the whole building and the people in the shot is what I'm alluding to. 

Looks like a wide shot and just cropped down. I think it could be a 24mm lens, but that is me.

Read these reviews on the Tamron. Pretty good breakdown.

So, my a6000 doesn't have a "silent" mode for shooting right. How do I go about taking street shots in stealth mode? Any tips?

what do you mean? the shutter on that camera isn't crazy loud, but no it doesn't have a silent shutter like the newer a6300 or the a7s/sii, a7rii; you are shooting on the street most of the noise from your camera will not exceed the level of ambient noise from your surroundings unless you are somewhere super quiet...you definitely will want to turn off the af illuminator though (the autofocus assist light) in the menu...

how'd you get this shot?

Tokes, in some yards the trains just sit there until they are ready to deliver the coal, so I basically laid myself under the train looked through the view finder and boom. I always wondered if i could lay my cam there and let it sit to get a train passing by as a long exposure with a remote but i don't wanna risk the cam getting destroyed..

tokes99 tokes99

thanks man. Yea I did turn the illuminator off.

I guess I am just being timid as a new shooter and don't know what reactions to expect from people if they notice me. I'll just use the old trick of smiling :D if noticed.

Back
Top Bottom