The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

i need help calibrating a monitor

My macbook pro has died on me so i will soon be building a pc. I have a lg ultrawide monitor but when i do photography editing i usually use the macbook without the external monitor since the monitor is just better even without being calibrated. Without buying an expensive color correcting device any advice on getting the best color? Im kind of worried it wont be good enough unless i buy those devices

What's up fellow photographers? It has been a minute since I've posted here but I am gonna start slapping pics up again real soon. Quick question; who do you guys follow on YouTube? I'm looking for more shooting and retouching tips. I like hearing different perspectives and what styles are trending. I found this couple and love what they do and want to find more content.

You guys are right - I don't even post like that anymore. Here is a miniture dump from a few months ago ..

32117275994_624e4810db_c.jpg

33738983920_b9fe2fb04e_z.jpg
32177900913_3835a5b74a_z.jpg
33136966016_122a5e2c37_z.jpg
33219027465_934b6a6bf8_z.jpg
33206303166_51ec7b733a_z.jpg
33780666531_8fa96d4c34_z.jpg
33296437515_b3f15900be_z.jpg
33894610656_bdfdc645c9_z.jpg

PS - Now I know why I don't even post like that anymore - I haven't figure out how to post picture without looking like ****.

Last edited:
hey all, so the consensus with the sigma series art lenses is that they are hit or miss dependent on the copy you get right? anybody with any recent experiences or run-in's with the lenses as of late? djyoung08 djyoung08 i thought i saw on ig or here you messing/renting with one. im in a pretty big group chat here and three people in one week were commenting on how they needed to get their lenses corrected/calibrated for their new sigma's, all less than a month old. im in the market for a 35 but it's been mentioned here before, and i agree that coughing up the money on a new lens shouldnt demand or call for all the extra work to get it to work like something you'd expect brand new, out of the box.

hey all, so the consensus with the sigma series art lenses is that they are hit or miss dependent on the copy you get right? anybody with any recent experiences or run-in's with the lenses as of late? djyoung08 djyoung08 i thought i saw on ig or here you messing/renting with one. im in a pretty big group chat here and three people in one week were commenting on how they needed to get their lenses corrected/calibrated for their new sigma's, all less than a month old. im in the market for a 35 but it's been mentioned here before, and i agree that coughing up the money on a new lens shouldnt demand or call for all the extra work to get it to work like something you'd expect brand new, out of the box.

i wonder if it may be a strategic approach by sigma to allow more variation in production which allows them to produce those high quality lenses below the cost of what canon/nikon/sony would and just allow the user to calibrate their lenses to their specific cameras with the $60 sigma dock?

Sony just released a new A9. Looks to be something to compete with the 1DX cameras with with 20 continues burst and no blackout on the digital virewfinder. Focus seems proper too which I am happy but all this came with a sacrifice with only 24mp. It says battery life is extended too. Wonder if the menus have changed. Solid camera and kudos for Sony bringing the heat but the price tag is crazy too. Wonder who would want this.

Sony just released a new A9. Looks to be something to compete with the 1DX cameras with with 20 continues burst and no blackout on the digital virewfinder. Focus seems proper too which I am happy but all this came with a sacrifice with only 24mp. It says battery life is extended too. Wonder if the menus have changed. Solid camera and kudos for Sony bringing the heat but the price tag is crazy too. Wonder who would want this.
was you looking at starving photographers live stream?

I might get the A7R3

I borrowed a sigma 35 art and it missed focus about 25% of the time.

Calibrating it wound't have made it more accurate, it would have made it more precise.

It didnt suffer from front/back focusing, it suffered from just missing quite a bit.

It suffered most when i shot my subjects with strong back light, which as a portrait photographer i almost exclusively do.

Also, 35mm focal length in general is just not a favorite of mine. I typically don't shoot shorter than 85mm.

*EDIT* -- it is important to note that i shot the lens exclusively at 1.4. Depth of field is pretty shallow at 35mm 1.4 but my canon 85mm 1.2 misses 1-5% of the time and the depth of field plane is far more shallow.

The moral of the story for me was that the sigma 35mm art was not dependable for what i do.

if you shoot it at f/4, the DOF plane will be much more wide and it will miss less.

That is not a compromise im willing to make when I'm spending $$$$$$$$ on equipment.

Thats like ordering a $70 medium rare steak, getting it served well done and the server saying "just because you get a steak doesnt mean you need to eat it medium rare"

Last edited:
Just saw it on a blog. Is there an A7R3 coming out?!!!

The A9 having 1/32,000 shutter speed is so dope. Let's you shoot lower ISO with cleaner images. This camera is dope. If they had the same pixel size as the A7R2, I would really consider that body. Just don't like 24mp anymore.

https://photorumors.com/2017/04/19/new-sony-a9-camera-announced/

Yeap, coming out this year I'm sure.

The 24mp doesn't bother me, might do a better job for low light photography.

it's a beast of a camera but not for what I shoot. I hope this drops the price of the A7rii a significant amount then I'll be able to afford it.

Canon 1DX is only 20mp. I guess you can't burst a high rate with larger MP pics. This pretty much beats the 1DX in all regards and even the price. Focus accuracy I am sure will be determined more when people test it. It just seems crazy you don't need a huge camera no more to shoot sports but Sony still doesn't have the lens library that Canon has. Again....can't fault Sony trying to revolutionize the market.

The combo killer though would be to have the Sony A9 for sports, Sony A7R2 for landscapes and the Sony A7S2 for video. Damn.

Canon 1DX is only 20mp. I guess you can't burst a high rate with larger MP pics. This pretty much beats the 1DX in all regards and even the price. Focus accuracy I am sure will be determined more when people test it. It just seems crazy you don't need a huge camera no more to shoot sports but Sony still doesn't have the lens library that Canon has. Again....can't fault Sony trying to revolutionize the market.

The combo killer though would be to have the Sony A9 for sports, Sony A7R2 for landscapes and the Sony A7S2 for video. Damn.

the sony a99 mkii does 12fps at 42mp, so i wouldn't be surprised if the a7rmk3 when/if it drops is around there, surprised the a9 doesn't have a touchscreen though? definitely seems like a beast of camera, the main hurdle for them is both those ergonomics and can they get their pro/customer support/service to be up to par with canon & nikon to convince pros to switch but the specs will likely have a lot of people even more curious about sony...

^^^That is very true. If you are going to win those sport shooters, you have to make sure the ergonomics are on part with the bigger cameras. I've seen an old 1D and that thing is insane but I guess it would pair right with a huge lens, all while standing on a tripod or monopod. With the Sony cameras, I would think the weights wouldn't balance out right. It's like you have to hold the camera by holding the lens only.

I don't even want a burst. If the new Sony AR73 fixes the batteries and focus issues, I almost might have to buy that camera even as a back up to my Canon.

Hello Fam, I seen some of you who are into blogging like fellow NTer "dunksrnice" and I was wondering what are you guys using to edit? 

[h1]Enormous iceberg 50ft taller than the one that sank the Titanic floats past the Canadian coast causing bumper-to-bumper tailbacks as tourists flock to see the monster block of ice[/h1]
  • -Enormous iceberg, one of first of season to float into ‘iceberg alley,’ has turned Ferryland into a tourist spot
  • -Photographers, both amateur and professional, caused traffic jams along Southern Shore over Easter period
  • -Area of Canada’s east coast by Newfoundland and Labrador sees massive glacial giants float past every year
  • -Latest is thought to be about 150ft high, more than 50ft higher than the one which the Titanic struck in 1912
Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...floats-past-Canadian-coast.html#ixzz4emuKfuJI  

thought these were some great shots from the article

Last edited:
I want to get a new camera, but a smaller point and shoot. I've been looking at the Sony RX100's anybody here own or can tell me how they are (pros & cons)

Back
Top Bottom