The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

I want to get a new camera, but a smaller point and shoot. I've been looking at the Sony RX100's anybody here own or can tell me how they are (pros & cons)

I haven't used it but i follow a lot of Sony shooters and they've produced some great images on it. This is the Mark V, idk about previous versions.

They added a lot of the features I wanted. Hopefully those features will carry over into the A7R series.

Only thing is I wish Sony would put more focus on ergonomics.

2:10

I want to get a new camera, but a smaller point and shoot. I've been looking at the Sony RX100's anybody here own or can tell me how they are (pros & cons)

I had the IV. I highly recommend the IV or V. They take poht great photos and videos.

Pros: Size/pocketability, 1.8-2.8 aperture, image quality, video quality, flip up screen, EVF, quick to shoot
Cons: Battery life

I need some advice, I want to buy a flash trigger, any brands/models I need to look at? 

Current setup: Nikon D3200, Nikon D3300, Nikon SB-600 Speed-light

Please help....

Thanks 

About to pick up a 70-200 f/2.8 ii tomorrow for $1500 on Craigslist. Sort of a deal but only cause its months old, so it's practically new. Going to try and focus on shooting long to change things up whether it be landscapes or portraits. I just hope the weight doesn't piss me off cause for some reason, I can see this lens collecting dust from just it being inconvenience. We'll see.

Cant speak for Canon specifically but I had the Nikon 70-200mm 2.8 for a few days. About a 2 oz weight difference.

Yeah it's gonna be a little bit shocking of how heavy it is but I don't think you'll regret the purchase.

Last edited:
About to pick up a 70-200 f/2.8 ii tomorrow for $1500 on Craigslist. Sort of a deal but only cause its months old, so it's practically new. Going to try and focus on shooting long to change things up whether it be landscapes or portraits. I just hope the weight doesn't piss me off cause for some reason, I can see this lens collecting dust from just it being inconvenience. We'll see.

My workhorse lens :pimp:

^^^^^I remember you said you got your's used too. What did you end up paying? I might even get a 1.4x extender but all reviews and opinions i read say it's bad. I used it once before on the 70-200mm lens but it was the 2X extender and that thing was a mess. Pictures couldn't focus right and quality was just not there. I heard the 1.4X is better but of course you only get so much range from it.

^^^^^I remember you said you got your's used too. What did you end up paying? I might even get a 1.4x extender but all reviews and opinions i read say it's bad. I used it once before on the 70-200mm lens but it was the 2X extender and that thing was a mess. Pictures couldn't focus right and quality was just not there. I heard the 1.4X is better but of course you only get so much range from it.

~1600. I had an amazon giftcard which brought my out of pocket to 1500 which was paid for in gig money.

I'm pretty sure they person used it once if ever. The seller's notes said that it wasn't the lens they needed.

^^^^Nice. So I feel okay about this $1500 price. I just picked it up and the damn thing is seriously brand new. The guy was another Canon guy going the mirrorless route and shooting with Fuji's. Kind of an odd realization with Canon shooters now though. So many people jumping ship.

I also watched some of the Netlfix show and man, some people just have a such a interesting life. Also the show seriously makes you happy to shoot Canon's since all shooters are using like 1DXs, 300mm primes, L lens, etc. Great show though.

anyone ever rent an airbnb to shoot in?

since im down in the oc i was thinking about renting out a beach villa/studio for a day

Last edited:
Thoughts on Pentax? Photographer at my job recommended me them since they are cheaper apparently. 

anyone ever rent an airbnb to shoot in?

since im down in the oc i was thinking about renting out a beach villa/studio for a day

I attended a shoot for a class and the teacher didn't use AirBNB but paid a friend he knew that had a mansion in the hills to shoot inside. It acts as a great backdrop and makes your photos better if you are shooting a model. The living room they had was filled with crazy furniture and art. Made it look like a throwback photos with the model in it.

Thoughts on Pentax? Photographer at my job recommended me them since they are cheaper apparently. 

I assume Pentax has their issues not so much with the cameras but with the lenses. I am not sure how big their library is but it would be the same as even Sony where you only have a smaller library of lenses to use where Canon and Nikon have a lot.

pentax has been around awhile and the 35mm full frame pentax k1 is supposed to be a really, really good camera with some really interesting capabilities, both their legacy & new glass is well regarded...it would really difficult to cop a bad camera these days, it really comes down to what things you want in a camera and how you to use it...pentax isn't at the same scale as the canon & nikon, which could be an issue for accessories & lens availability, but neither are sony, fuji, olympus & panasonic for that matter...all that matters is that the camera system you pick has the lenses/stuff you need and fits your needs...

it is (in)famously said that photography is an expensive hobby, i think this is only true to the extent you want it to be, however it almost certainly true in the case where one doesn't know what they want/need and just goes in for the cheapest option without doing the knowledge...

some hoop dreams:

Untitled by a0, on Flickr

splash by a0, on Flickr

Untitled by a0, on Flickr

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom