The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

I really love the 24 1.8
and the 50 1.4

i really want to try that zeiss 24, but i can't really justify it having quite a few lenses around that focal length...

some randoms:

_DSC4307.jpg

IMG_5156.jpg

IMG_5157.jpg

IMG_5155.jpg

IMG_5150.jpg

Bros, any tips on how to shoot a sunrise? I'm trying to make a stop at the Bonneville Salt Flats during my drive back to CA and wanted to know what setting would work to capture the sunrise?

I'm only shooting with a Fuji x100t.

the new Canon M100 looks like a good mirrorless for $599

it's decent and I'm sure it is capable of making great images but it doesn't do anything new or really challenge any existing camera...it doesn't seem like a camera that one would buy to grow into or that an enthusiast could appreciate when there are cameras available for less that are at least as capable if not more...apparently these cameras are doing well in certain regions though

Bros, any tips on how to shoot a sunrise? I'm trying to make a stop at the Bonneville Salt Flats during my drive back to CA and wanted to know what setting would work to capture the sunrise?

what do you mean by setting? it will all depend on what you are seeing, so...shoot raw and experiment? bring an nd filter? depending on your processing style you may want to protect the highlights or details in the shadows but either way sunrises can be difficult due to how fast the light is changing so bracketing might also be something to think about for certain shots

it's decent and I'm sure it is capable of making great images but it doesn't do anything new or really challenge any existing camera...it doesn't seem like a camera that one would buy to grow into or that an enthusiast could appreciate when there are cameras available for less that are at least as capable if not more...apparently these cameras are doing well in certain regions though

what do you mean by setting? it will all depend on what you are seeing, so...shoot raw and experiment? bring an nd filter? depending on your processing style you may want to protect the highlights or details in the shadows but either way sunrises can be difficult due to how fast the light is changing so bracketing might also be something to think about for certain shots

So bracketing my shots would be best to keep the highlights and details?

^it depends on the intensity of the light, but generally it is super difficult to capture all the dynamic range in a sunrise/sunset...so bracketing would help that (you'd have to experiment to figure how you'd need to bracket the scene), presuming you even want that hdr look, not that you have to use all that data to do an hdr...

I thought it could be a good alternative to A6000, feels like they do not really need to do something revolutionary to challenge the comp. Digic7 Processor and touchscreen plus being able to flip the lcd (A6000 doesn't do it iirc or was it just the A5100?) makes it a better choice for photography beginners and vlog newbs. I think it's only goal is to take sales away from the competition and prevent those who wants to switch brands from doing so. I recently got a Fuji and coming from a Canon, the controls is taking some time to get used to.

^perhaps, tho to put it in perspective the a6000 is almost 4 years old...and this m100 camera is barely topping it. for sure the touchscreen is a great addition and the flip/selfie screen for vloggers is becoming an underrated selling point, from a feature standpoint canon's (and nikon's too) mirrorless cameras aren't (at this point in time) systems you can build on, even with sony's somewhat anemic crop sensor lens selection, the fact that they are so feature rich and share lenses with their a7 line seems like it would make their cameras more attractive to anyone interested in getting the most value for their money...

what canon camera did you have and which fuji do use now? would you have rocked with this m100 instead of your current fuji?

I got the XT20 a few weeks ago because I needed something compact for my trip, I was highly considering the M6 but it seems real behind when it comes to mirrorless cameras for the price-point. I just feel like the Fuji has better value with 4k vid and a bunch of shooting options including the film simulation options that just made the camera more fun. It's also great that every control in the back can be customized. Aesthetically, I also love the classic look (got the two tone).

If I was getting it for the M100/A6000/XA10 price point (probably more in comp with the A5100 since that do not have a viewfinder), the Canon would likely get my money as those seem more in par with each other and Canons Dual Pixel AF seems to be better in comparison to others, plus I already have access to other Canon lenses. And yes, it helps that the controls are pretty much Canon through and through. While the A6000 is 4 years old, it's better late than never for Canon, I guess? It's up to Sony to release an updated version but it seems like it that if they make new ones, it also jump up in price. I do think the Dual Pixel AF and Digic7 proc being brought down to their affordable cameras plays the biggest factor and makes Canon a more attractive choice now.

In the end, even if they are late to the party, I am just happy to see an alternative. And chances are if you're starting out now, you begin with the M100 and by the time you're ready to move up, Canons mirrorless cameras might be up there with their DSLRs :lol:

Last edited:

If you're trying to catch it in one shot without HDR, I'd expose for the sky as it's usually easier to bring back shadow detail than it is to bring back highlights.

Put your X100T to F8 or F11 then play around with the exposure comp wheel until you get a result you're happy with. Try a bunch of different exposures since you'll want to mess with them in post anyways.

Excited to see what you get, those salt flats have been on my list for a while.

If you're trying to catch it in one shot without HDR, I'd expose for the sky as it's usually easier to bring back shadow detail than it is to bring back highlights.

Put your X100T to F8 or F11 then play around with the exposure comp wheel until you get a result you're happy with. Try a bunch of different exposures since you'll want to mess with them in post anyways.

Excited to see what you get, those salt flats have been on my list for a while.
Thanks, brother. I figured to try to get some shots in this time, since I missed out last year.

Definitely will take your advice and get there early enough to mess around with my shots.

Also, for planning sunrise/sunset shots, anyone use TPE? Gives you the location of where the sun will be, times, etc. If you sign on for their subscription if gives you an estimate of how colorful it will be too. Can also use it for milky way shots.

http://photoephemeris.com/

I got the XT20 a few weeks ago because I needed something compact for my trip, I was highly considering the M6 but it seems real behind when it comes to mirrorless cameras for the price-point. I just feel like the Fuji has better value with 4k vid and a bunch of shooting options including the film simulation options that just made the camera more fun. It's also great that every control in the back can be customized. Aesthetically, I also love the classic look (got the two tone).

If I was getting it for the M100/A6000/XA10 price point (probably more in comp with the A5100 since that do not have a viewfinder), the Canon would likely get my money as those seem more in par with each other and Canons Dual Pixel AF seems to be better in comparison to others, plus I already have access to other Canon lenses. And yes, it helps that the controls are pretty much Canon through and through. While the A6000 is 4 years old, it's better late than never for Canon, I guess? It's up to Sony to release an updated version but it seems like it that if they make new ones, it also jump up in price. I do think the Dual Pixel AF and Digic7 proc being brought down to their affordable cameras plays the biggest factor and makes Canon a more attractive choice now.

In the end, even if they are late to the party, I am just happy to see an alternative. And chances are if you're starting out now, you begin with the M100 and by the time you're ready to move up, Canons mirrorless cameras might be up there with their DSLRs :lol:

seems like canon and nikon shooters have been waiting on them to make a serious mirrorless camera for time now...and this is basically the difference between canon & nikon and fuji, olympus, panasonic, & sony; these other camera manufacturers actually make serious mirrorless cameras while the other 2, maybe for good reason, seem to not want to compete in that segment.

Also, for planning sunrise/sunset shots, anyone use TPE? Gives you the location of where the sun will be, times, etc. If you sign on for their subscription if gives you an estimate of how colorful it will be too. Can also use it for milky way shots.

http://photoephemeris.com/

i have it on my phone but i've rarely used it...on android, haven't used it of iOS, it isn't the most intuitive app to use and i haven't put the time in to really learn it...

It has been a while but I will be back to posting soon.
I came across this video through an article I read on FStoppers. I never really thought about color that much when it comes to style. What always comes to mind is DOF, lighting, and posing and I usually do random processing depending on the image. I have some images that I have bumped the saturation up in post for a real punchy image, and others that have muted cool tones with a completely different vibe. I think I will be taking this to heart and seeing if I can commit to one style for a while.

Yo! first time posting in here. Just a couple shots from Skins training camp a few weeks ago. #HTTR
I think it's needless to say that my hopes aren't that high for this season. :lol:

I just launched my website recently too, check it out if you've got a chance: https://wauffleznotwaffles.com/
All feedback is welcome. I'm mostly into shooting live music and street stuff. Looking to get into short films and music videos too.

121g4d4.jpg

Yo! first time posting in here. Just a couple shots from Skins training camp a few weeks ago. #HTTR
I think it's needless to say that my hopes aren't that high for this season. :lol:

I just launched my website recently too, check it out if you've got a chance: https://wauffleznotwaffles.com/
All feedback is welcome. I'm mostly into shooting live music and street stuff. Looking to get into short films and music videos too.

121g4d4.jpg

Dope......just like a sports photojournalist......well done!!!

forgot i took a couple of snaps of this massive 8k red setup from a cat that camped out overnight to shoot video of the eclipse, you can see the crazy solar filter he had over the lens:

_DSC4291.jpg

_DSC4290.jpg

also in #gearacquisitionsyndromechronicles: came up on an a7s w/a metabones adapter & an old sigma ef mount 100-300 lens for $700...couldn't pass it up, might try converting it to an infrared camera; hoping i can flip the adapter and lens for a lil something

seems like canon and nikon shooters have been waiting on them to make a serious mirrorless camera for time now...and this is basically the difference between canon & nikon and fuji, olympus, panasonic, & sony; these other camera manufacturers actually make serious mirrorless cameras while the other 2, maybe for good reason, seem to not want to compete in that segment.

It does seem weird, while Canons mirrorless line-ups growing, I would have thought they'd have an overpriced $2k mirrorless by now.

Nikon supposedly has something big coming up but got to see it to believe it.

Onlympus just updated their entry level camera with 4k starting at $650.

It does seem weird, while Canons mirrorless line-ups growing, I would have thought they'd have an overpriced $2k mirrorless by now.

Nikon supposedly has something big coming up but got to see it to believe it.

Onlympus just updated their entry level camera with 4k starting at $650.

both canon & nikon are in a tough position when it comes to mirrorless, obviously being the major options to both pros & consumers for dslrs there is just less incentive to invest in a completely new mount/system for mirrorless and to somehow design & develop a new mount/system that prioritized compatibility with their existing lens libraries & mount(s) would probably compromise some of the advantages of a mirrorless system...it will be interesting to see where each goes when they decide to take mirrorless seriously...

some of the micro 4/3rds cameras have really impressive features & specs, but the smaller sensor size always ends up the limiting factor for me trying one out...

Anyone think Canon and Nikon end up like say, Polaroid and Kodak? Long, mainstay brands that fell behind the times or new trends...I tend to think mirrorless may become the majority in the next 10 years.

Back
Top Bottom