The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

DE-M56-Shells-3.jpg

So to my Sony shooters....does anyone shoot stills with an A7S/A7S Mark II? I rarely crop, so I’m good with the 12.2 MP. I don’t need the 2nd body anytime soon (looking to buy sometime between the start of the holiday season and tax season.

So to my Sony shooters....does anyone shoot stills with an A7S/A7S Mark II? I rarely crop, so I’m good with the 12.2 MP. I don’t need the 2nd body anytime soon (looking to buy sometime between the start of the holiday season and tax season.

just recently scooped an a7s for the low, so i haven’t shot that many frames with it yet but i will say although 12mp is somewhat limiting the real downside to the a7s/sii is that the af (if autofocus is important for you) is contrast detect only which can result in both slow & inaccurate autofocus performance for these cameras (i’ve read that af of the a7sii is not really that much better than the a7s). unless you are really going to be in low light situations or doing video, the $$$ saved by going with an og a7 or even an a7ii (and you’d get in body stabilization with the a7ii) either would get better autofocus for stills...

Hello fellow photographers. It has been a minute since I have posted to this thread. I haven't been able to do much shooting lately due to work and an expanding family. I do however get time to edit and retouch photos while traveling for work. I am been watching a ton of tutorials and think I have finally figured it out. I want my images to have a certain look and feel to them but that is easier said than done.
I used to think I was pretty good at retouching and recently revisited a photo from 2 years ago. The first edit is what I sent my client after the shoot. She was impressed and I was happy with the results myself. I wanted to see how much I have improved since then so I started with the raw file and started editing. Once completed I compared the results and realized how far I have come.

Got my Tamron 90mm yesterday. Didn't play with it much but after I use it today and tomorrow I'm going to return it and get the Sigma 105mm. Been planning out my future lens catalog and this range needs to be a tad longer

I was using the Tamron 24-70
just recently scooped an a7s for the low, so i haven’t shot that many frames with it yet but i will say although 12mp is somewhat limiting the real downside to the a7s/sii is that the af (if autofocus is important for you) is contrast detect only which can result in both slow & inaccurate autofocus performance for these cameras (i’ve read that af of the a7sii is not really that much better than the a7s). unless you are really going to be in low light situations or doing video, the $$$ saved by going with an og a7 or even an a7ii (and you’d get in body stabilization with the a7ii) either would get better autofocus for stills...

Appreciate the heads up. I have the an A7, and always like to have a 2nd body. I was on the fence about the A7S or A7ii. I’m leaning toward the A7ii now. Thanks again.

You killed this set.....dope stuff fam!!!

Thanks man!!

So thanks to ya'll the issue I was having with the long exposure was VR. Didn't realize it was such a simple fix but that worked! Got the shot I wanted to get after three attempts.

IMG_3290-1.jpg
IMG_3331-3.jpg

IMG_3302-2.jpg
My buddy also showed me how to use spot metering and the image with the black sky was the result. Man after using this camera for over three years I thought I knew it all lmao. That was shot with his zeiss 50mm, I got to mess around with his 5Dsr and whewwww that thing is sooo nice. That 50 megapixel 61 point focus is life altering stuff, especially with landscapes.

IMG_3337-4.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks guys! Those were straight out of the camera so they still need some retouching. You guys are killin it as well!

Jamez that fog is mesmerizing. Did you leave the bay already?

bjamez20 bjamez20 manusousou manusousou

^^^^^Are you serious bro? You live near Banff? I'd be there all the time if that was the case.

Adding to the Canada love. Was there last week. Beautiful spot. I am noticing I went at a good time cause it looked like it snowed a lot there this past week. Just a really beautiful thing to see in person.

banff-1.png

banff-2b.png

banff-5.png

banff-3a.png

banff-4.png

Last edited:
^^^^^Are you serious bro? You live near Banff? I'd be there all the time if that was the case.

Adding to the Canada love. Was there last week. Beautiful spot. I am noticing I went at a good time cause it looked like it snowed a lot there this past week. Just a really beautiful thing to see in person.

banff-1.png

banff-2b.png

banff-3a.png

banff-4.png

Yep! I live in Calgary so the Banff area is about an hour and a half drive. Definitely spoiled to have all of that in our backyard.

Amazing pics btw! Your style is dope. The snow in the winter time is a whole different experience. You'll have to come back for it. Especially lake louise as you're able to walk out on the frozen lake to get some amazing shots of the mountains right in front of you covered in snow.

banff-1.png

banff-2b.png

banff-3a.png

banff-4.png
Fong, some photographers are weird man. They have a nice big city but rather be shooting a great outdoor and vice versa.

Never seems to fail ...

I wouldn't want to live in Calgary :lol: place looked a bit depressing when I pulled out the airport, but in exchange to have Banff so close by, I'd take it, this place is a photographers dreamland...I kept picturing how easy it would be to shoot weddings in Banff...lol

To add to the Banff theme!

Enlight596.jpg
IMG_1369.JPG
Enlight603.jpg
IMG_1364.JPG
Enlight601.jpg
Enlight598.jpg
Enlight593.jpg
Enlight583.jpg
IMG_1224.JPG
Enlight582.jpg

Back