The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

I've seen it more on IG but I wonder if people have been doing stuff like this for a while. I honestly never got how people got certain exposures and when I did, it totally was surprised how much someone manipulates a photo. Even some RAW images to me on how they are pushed are so fake to a degree.

This is a good example of what people see on IG that just looks so damn crazy at times. I know people composite photos but some are just looney.

take-it-dont-fake-it-milky-way-superimposed-trees-reflections-photoshop-creative-blending-not-photography-bad-art-cheating-false-photos-sunset-stars-moon.jpg

Here's an interesting read as well: https://photographylife.com/the-importance-of-ethics-in-photography

I've seen it more on IG but I wonder if people have been doing stuff like this for a while. I honestly never got how people got certain exposures and when I did, it totally was surprised how much someone manipulates a photo. Even some RAW images to me on how they are pushed are so fake to a degree.

This is a good example of what people see on IG that just looks so damn crazy at times. I know people composite photos but some are just looney.

take-it-dont-fake-it-milky-way-superimposed-trees-reflections-photoshop-creative-blending-not-photography-bad-art-cheating-false-photos-sunset-stars-moon.jpg

Here's an interesting read as well: https://photographylife.com/the-importance-of-ethics-in-photography
Yeah that's stupid wild.

People be loving that **** though.

Being feature in every single IG account and stuff.

I also think BeautifulDestinations have heavy PP, but of course I don't know.

I don't mind pulling the most put of a RAW but some of these are flagrant.

So on the picture posted , is it obvious the reflection?

So on the picture posted , is it obvious the reflection?

I didn't notice before but now that y'all mention it it is off that the reflection shows so much of the shore on the water. I would think the reflection woulda be off by some feet than just a mirrored image

Nikon's 24-70mm + 70-200mm f/2.8 vr2 is not a bad setup. That was essentially Nikon's holy trinity at one point adding the 14-24mm f/2.8. Of course like all things, it depends on what you are shooting. If you want super low light performance, than the f/2.8 on both won't get you there compared to a f/1.2-1.8 but ISO performance has gotten better and nailing focus on f/1.2 is pretty damn hard. Also weight is a factor and just accessibility. Say if you are a street photographer and walk generally with 2 lenses in a bag, having a 70-200mm and an additional lens can be an overkill. Having two primes are just easier to carry and more inconspicuous.

What do you guys think about finding and using good/great filters vs actually learning the editing tools?

I'm a proponent of learning how to shoot with the tools at hand and edit only as need be. If you're shooting and getting paid for it then of course you'll have to post process

I feel the same, but it's hard to tell somebody who is getting a lot of shoots that they need to do things a different way. Seems like her clients aren't bothered/like the way they come out but they are cringy for me

anyone using some kind of fanny shoulder bag? i see a trend of the supreme bags that are like fanny packs, but worn on the shoulder instead. im not trying to follow the trend, but theres days where i just wish i had a smaller bag. i tend to not use my backpack unless really needed and i cant take my camera off my neck incase it gets stolen or i forget it when i set it down.im talking about for everyday camera use. i have a canon 60d with a sigma 17-50mm.

Have you looked at this? https://www.incase.com/devices/camera/dslr/incase-dslr-case
Can be had super cheap used from eBay too

this one may be too bulky and im not sure it will fit with my lens. i have a similar camera bag that i used to use, but now that i have a bigger lens i dont use it. will keep this one in mind.

This one is more of that fanny pack style but I don't know if it will fit your setup: https://www.incase.com/devices/camera/dslr/camera-side-bag

capture_side_bag-_black-_c_1_1.jpg

this one looks cool. i will look into this to see if i can find it in person.

Sony-a7r-III-mirrorless-camera-2-541x550.jpg

• 35mm Full-Frame 42.4 MP Back-Illuminated Exmor R™ CMOS Image Sensor with Evolved Image Processing
  • Continuous Shooting at up to 10 fps with either Silent Shooting or Mechanical Shutter and full Auto Focus/Auto Exposure tracking
  • 399 phase-detection AF points covering 68% of image area, 425 contrast AF points and approximately 2 times more effective Eye AF
  • Shipping starts at the end of November 2017

Read more: https://photorumors.com/#ixzz4wXSjJKmQ

Damn. Sony does it again with the new AR7iii. I think this is the camera that I’ll move too. https://photorumors.com/2017/10/25/sony-a7r-iii-mirrorless-camera-officially-announced/

I wasn’t as invested in Canon like many others here, however I don’t regret making the switch.

I’m happy with my current setup (A7, 28/F2, 55/F1.8, 85/F1.8) but looking to pick up that second body. The A7R3 looks like a beast, but it’s out of my budget. I’m hoping that we’ll see some price reductions on the Mark IIs. If that happens I’ll happily pick up an A7/A7R II and make the one I have now my backup.

The A7R3 looks like a beast, but it’s out of my budget. I’m hoping that we’ll see some price reductions on the Mark IIs. If that happens I’ll happily pick up an A7/A7R II and make the one I have now my backup.

already officially dropped to $2300 new and i'd expect the used market will also see reductions; i've seen the a7r2 for as low as $1900 used even before the new models like this & the a9 were out...surprised sony came with the a7r3 before the a7iii tho

Last edited:
This me being super picky but the only thing I don't like about the Sony A7Riii is that it isn't weather sealed. I can almost look past the lack of lens library since I shoot mostly landscapes anyways and would get the adapter to use my Canon lenses. I think if you are investing in something over $3K that it should withstand some weather conditions. I am going back to Iceland for the 3rd time to try and shoot the northern lights next year and I would hate to get a Sony and have it crap out on me cause of the cold or water.

EDIT: Forget it. It does have weather sealing.

Last edited:
already officially dropped to $2300 new and i'd expect the used market will also see reductions; i've seen the a7r2 for as low as $1900 used even before the new models like this & the a9 were out...surprised sony came with the a7r3 before the a7iii tho

Yeah I just saw the reductions. I think they are good for another 10 days. I just paid for a trip to Athens next April in full (flight and hotel right in the heart of Syntagma Square for under $1000 so I jumped on it), so hopefully there are some reductions early 2018.

What’s funny is that through Amazon right around W2 time, I’ve seen crazy reductions on camera bundles. Hopefully I’ll score a good one.

On another note, even with Greece being 5 months away, I’m already trying to think of what gear to bring. LOL. So far I’m thinking of just rocking with the 24-70 F4 & Samsung 14mm 2.8 for those tight alleyways/streets.

I am curious as to how the 24-105 F4 performs. The 24-70 is very soft at 70mm. We’ll have to see I guess.

Is Sony the way to go with mirrorless cameras? I'm looking to get into photography, and was looking at DSLR vs. mirrorless. I'm looking at the A6300. Thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom