The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

2716C9EA-9D96-4E6C-8B2A-DF2CBEC6697C.jpeg

Taken with my RX1RII

44A5D1BE-6D0E-44EC-B92F-AE6E1C9DE987.jpeg

I’m weird in that I like taking pics and video of my photo and video gear lol. Shown is my carbon fiber tripod. It’s a beast for low angle shooting.

if you haven't already, be sure to check that drones are allowed in...some countries they are banned & will be confiscated/held at the airport
Is why I highly suggest anyone in the US that has a drone to acquire their FAA Part 107 “license”. Many countries will honor that when going abroad. (I teach this course to companies and individuals BTW, hit me up if you’re interested in knowing more).

I can only speak from the professional standpoint but as a tourist your best bet is to have a small drone like a Mavic Pro Mavic Pro 2 Parrot Anafi and Aurelio Evo as these are very portable and packable in checked luggage which is the more discrete way to enter into country with a drone. Just remember you cannot put lithium ion batteries in your checked luggage. You must carry those on the plane with you.

Also lastly remember when you are in another country, it’s their sovereign right to do whatever they want as far as your equipment at the airport. They can choose to confiscate your drones even if you’re in total compliance...but most of the time that’s just to shake you down for money. One country tried that with me when I was doing work for the University of Notre Dame...they paid the $1500 shakedown fee for me but was able to get it back because they had the clout to do so.

Is why I highly suggest anyone in the US that has a drone to acquire their FAA Part 107 “license”. Many countries will honor that when going abroad. (I teach this course to companies and individuals BTW, hit me up if you’re interested in knowing more).

I can only speak from the professional standpoint but as a tourist your best bet is to have a small drone like a Mavic Pro Mavic Pro 2 Parrot Anafi and Aurelio Evo as these are very portable and packable in checked luggage which is the more discrete way to enter into country with a drone. Just remember you cannot put lithium ion batteries in your checked luggage. You must carry those on the plane with you.

Also lastly remember when you are in another country, it’s their sovereign right to do whatever they want as far as your equipment at the airport. They can choose to confiscate your drones even if you’re in total compliance...but most of the time that’s just to shake you down for money. One country tried that with me when I was doing work for the University of Notre Dame...they paid the $1500 shakedown fee for me but was able to get it back because they had the clout to do so.

well i don't have any experience with this but i having read/seen videos of others that have that had their drones (both large rigs & mavic small; as well as faa licensed folk) held at airports...tho who knows what their specific circumstances were, best case scenario is to check in advance before traveling, and see what the possible options or you could just chance

Speaking of drones I'm considering getting the mavic pro 2. I'm totally new to the drone game but flew a mavic this past weekend in the woods and I'm hooked. I just downloaded the b4ufly app to see where restrictions are. Anyone here in SF fly a drone before? Based on the app it looks like all of SF is a no fly zone? Also any other apps/sites anyone recommends to keep up to date info on where a drone can be flown?

Super cool. How did you get the pass to shoot? And what lens? I shot a minor league game and baseball is actually sort of hard to shoot just cause action is not as constant than other sports.

if you haven't already, be sure to check that drones are allowed in...some countries they are banned & will be confiscated/held at the airport

They’re good there. I was disappointed when I couldn’t bring it to Egypt :frown:

Speaking of drones I'm considering getting the mavic pro 2. I'm totally new to the drone game but flew a mavic this past weekend in the woods and I'm hooked. I just downloaded the b4ufly app to see where restrictions are. Anyone here in SF fly a drone before? Based on the app it looks like all of SF is a no fly zone? Also any other apps/sites anyone recommends to keep up to date info on where a drone can be flown?

The Mavic Pro 2 is an really really good drone. I’ll put it into perspective for you. I have an Inspire 2 with the X7 camera and a 16mm Prime Lens. It’s basically a RED camera that flies lol and shoots 6K RAW in both Apple Pro Res and Cinema DNG...after buying my Mavic Pro 2 I hardly ever fly my Inspire 2 except for the most discriminating clients which even then if they didn’t see me flying the Mavic Pro 2 I could probably fool them into thinking I filmed with my Inspire 2. The full setup for the Inspire 2 is almost 7 Times the amount of the Mavic Pro 2 só that’s saying something right there. If I could only have one drone it would be the Mavic Pro 2.

well i don't have any experience with this but i having read/seen videos of others that have that had their drones (both large rigs & mavic small; as well as faa licensed folk) held at airports...tho who knows what their specific circumstances were, best case scenario is to check in advance before traveling, and see what the possible options or you could just chance
Yes bro, I was agreeing with you actually. Just adding a little more insight. It’s best to check ahead. Also try to be as discrete as possible because even if the regulations allow drones, they can still confiscate at the airport. Is why I advocate the small sleek drones like the Mavic Series whether 1 or 2 and the Parrot Anafi.

BTW I’m seeing more and more photo guys investing in drones as a tool in their toolkit. I think it’s pretty dope actually, your photography skills give you and edge over someone with no photography experience.

I have one similar I caught on sale from Amazon for $45. Not carbon fiber but does that low angle thing also and does the monopod thing. Highly recommend, forgot the brand but ill get back to anyone that wants details. Its black/bronxe, regular price is $70ish.

Hows the weight on that CF joint? And price?

I have one similar I caught on sale from Amazon for $45. Not carbon fiber but does that low angle thing also and does the monopod thing. Highly recommend, forgot the brand but ill get back to anyone that wants details. Its black/bronxe, regular price is $70ish.

Hows the weight on that CF joint? And price?

P Swerve, to be honest it doesn’t weigh much less than the Aluminum version, it feels nice and sturdy though which is a good thing since you’re putting a serious investment of Cam and lenses on it.

I got a deal on mine from Amazon for $99. Had it been much more I would have easily gotten the aluminum version as functionally they are the exact same. I still have my compact Manfrotto for when I need a quick deployment though...some places don’t allow tripod shooting and in those cases I need a quick run and gun setup and I find my main tripod a little longer to setup.

Back
Top Bottom