The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

Who prints here? Where at and quality?

I used mostly a local printer in the San Francisco (Photoworks SF) but I do use Mpix.com for random general stuff. They are fine and even do some fine art prints now which better quality than the traditional glossy/lustre look. They also prep your photos for print so they don't come out over colored and what not. Their prices are good and they always have sales going on but if you were doing some gallery work, I would say print at another place.

anyone get paid to take photos?

I've never done paid gigs but I will say photo services is priced in all different ways where sometimes it doesn't make sense.. So say if you do Christmas photos, people can charge like $100-200 an hour with like 10 edited photos. All you have to do is change Christmas photos to Engagement Photos and now the price can be increased all based on because engagement photos are supposed to be more "classy" than other photoshoots. Then factor in your skills, social media presence, gas fees, etc....your price can be way higher.

The worst thing about paid gigs is not providing your client the work they are expecting. If you feel confident in your skills and you feel you can deliver with your photos, I say go in with a good price above your head and get paid.

Was on my way home from a day trip to Philly on Saturday when I just so happen to pass through Wilmington, Delaware a few hours before Biden and Harris took the stage.

4.png
5.png
6.png
12.png
13.png
14.png
17.png
18.png
7.png
11.png

^^^^Nice. One thing I miss about living in SF. So many good photo ops like that in a spurt moment. It's good to document those shots cause it's so unique to this year.

How are y'all storing photos and backups? Is anyone using a NAS setup?

I have 3 harddrives going but not a NAS setup. I need to look into backing up my backups. I know people talk about harddrive failures and yet, I still do nothing to try and solve this. My 3 year old laptop did hit the crapper this year and thankfully I backed up most photos on my harddrives but still lost a lot that were on my desktop. I highly advise backing up all your files cause it's a bummer losing a photo forever.

I have 3 harddrives going but not a NAS setup. I need to look into backing up my backups. I know people talk about harddrive failures and yet, I still do nothing to try and solve this. My 3 year old laptop did hit the crapper this year and thankfully I backed up most photos on my harddrives but still lost a lot that were on my desktop. I highly advise backing up all your files cause it's a bummer losing a photo forever.

Right, that's exactly why I'm looking into it more. I'd be sick if I lost my photos so I'm going to definitely get a solid backup and then look into backing that up or get a NAS/RAID setup going. NAS seems like a good option since a lot of them come configured with RAID and I won't have to constantly have an external connected to my laptop.

How are y'all storing photos and backups? Is anyone using a NAS setup?

I've got a 3Tb dropbox - my lightroom catalogue and all the files are in there. The other advantage of that is that I can set up multiple computers for editing - they're all reading from the same files so I can't leave something somewhere I can't access it.

I've got a 3Tb dropbox - my lightroom catalogue and all the files are in there. The other advantage of that is that I can set up multiple computers for editing - they're all reading from the same files so I can't leave something somewhere I can't access it.

That sounds kinda nice, I'll look more into that. Do you experience any major slowness or anything with this setup?

I'd be curious to hear about any slowness or quirks with that setup too. I struggle with having too many LR catalogues across my different laptops...

No, because the files are stored locally but synced with the cloud it works the same as normal.

The only occasional glitch is that for some reason it gets a conflict sometimes and you have to make a new catalogue and copy everything over - it’s only happened a few times in 4 or 5 years though and you don’t lose anything - you just have to tell the catalogue where the images are.

I need a canon 70-200 lens anyone know where the Black Friday deals will be for one?
also can someone recommend me a variable ND lens and a polarizer for less than $70? its my first one so it doesn't have to be top brand.

Any recs on point and shoots? My brother just had his first kid and i want to get him a camera for the holidays(he denied me getting him a dslr).

Somethinggood for portraits and video if possible ~$500

Thanks fellas

Canon G7X mark 2 is a good point & shoot that can be had for $500 at the moment. It has the big 1" sensor and the tiltable flip up screen. Shoots 1080p 60fps video

Attachments

• cn-1066c001_6.jpg
    cn-1066c001_6.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 16
  • Screenshot_20201123_193348.jpg
    Screenshot_20201123_193348.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 15
Back
Top Bottom