The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

Originally Posted by NikeAirsNCrispyTees

Originally Posted by Mr Fongstarr

^^^^Lens for sure. You can achieve quite a lot with just a basic DLSR body. The only issues you might have are just with action shots and night photography. But invest in a lens that's quick and if you shoot in the day light, you will come out with some proper stuff.
Generally, I'd say Fond is right.

HOWEVER, it depends on how much you have to spend and what you shoot. If you have 2Gs to blow, buy the body while you have the money. I upgraded bodies because I had the money all at once that I might not have again for a while, and because I was switching to Canon. Unless you got a couple grand to blow, lens > body. There are tons of photographers shooting with Canon 10Ds still and producing incredible images.
i appreciate the info... i will more than likely get a lens then considering i have about 1G to spend.  I'm just a high school kid so i've worked a lot in order to come up with some cash. I just want to get more out of my photos so i feel that i need to upgrade soon.
Again, thanks for the input.

But would an upgrade to something like a T2i be worth it?

You can buy them for under a grand and i'll finally get the HD video feature.

But would the picture quality be significantly better? It has 18 megapixels compared to the 12 on my XSi

And it has a 6,400 ISO max compared to the 1,600 ISO max on the XSi.

Sorry, i'm pretty ignorant on all of this so any type of help or advise would be great.

Can anybody recommend me another lens for my XSI. I have the canon 18-55, canon 75-300ef, and the 1.8 50mm. I've considered the tokina 10-17 fisheye but have heard you get tired of shooting fisheye after a while. I dont shoot anything specific so I have no real parameters for a new lens. Just looking for some recommendations and ill take it from there. Price isn't really an issue. Ill figure all that out later. thanks.

^^^Nice dude. Been really reading a lot on the video capabilities and its quit impressive. Frame rate is on point. Kind of wish the photo quality was just as good cause I would've ditched my D90 for that.

And I know there are a lot of Mark 2 owners that never use their video but I just wanted to show what can be done with such a great camera. This is a friend of mine that uses his Mark 2 solely for video use just cause the HD capabilities seriously trump a lot of video cameras out there:

http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip....com&show_title=1&show_byline=1&show_portraithttp://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip....com&show_title=1&show_byline=1&show_portrait

Panning shots are so dope.

Damn that's sick. Editing videos is something I'm completely oblivious to. What are some programs that don't take away from video quality? I run Vista and have a D5000 if that helps too.
nerd.gif

Originally Posted by KobeBeef

Originally Posted by LAshoehead87

Can anybody recommend me another lens for my XSI. I have the canon 18-55, canon 75-300ef, and the 1.8 50mm. I've considered the tokina 10-17 fisheye but have heard you get tired of shooting fisheye after a while. I dont shoot anything specific so I have no real parameters for a new lens. Just looking for some recommendations and ill take it from there. Price isn't really an issue. Ill figure all that out later. thanks.
24-70mm f/2.8

(just because i love mine)
I disagree, simply because 18-55 covers your wide range, and the 50mm f/1.8 gets the longer end of the range with the lower stop. I'd say 70-200 f/4L for about $500 used, or if you have the cash then DEFINITELY go for the 70-200 f/2.8L for about $1k used. Whether or not you want to spend the extra cash for the IS/USM version is up to you. The 70-200 f/2.8L Mark II just released, so plan to see prices drop on that.

Although on the 1.6x crop body you might want to consider one of the wider L primes: 24L, 35L, or even (my personal favorite) 85 f/1.2L
pimp.gif

Or if you're really cheesin' it up you can grab a 50mm f/1 if you can find it.

Originally Posted by sigmakidownz

^Good looks.

Originally Posted by reigillm

any tips how to shoot a silhouette photo?

I only know how to get silhouettes outdoors, idk how to do it on a studio. Just shoot against the light/sun. Low iso, high F-stop, and fast shutter speeds.
thanks! will try this later
nerd.gif

Originally Posted by NikeAirsNCrispyTees

Celebrity-Feet-Spike-Lee-Nike-Zoom-Kobe-V-iD-Knicks-1-570x418.jpg

I just wanna know how son got a 1D4 and a 24-105 f/4L.

I'm just jealous.
frown.gif
I know how, and the answer is in that very same picture. Must be nice to be ballin like that. I just hope he appreciates that camera for what it really is, not just as a toy of the week.

My friend is going to sell me his Canon 30d. He says he's going to hook me up... Whats a decent price for a used canon 30d? thanks in advance
smile.gif

Originally Posted by YUNG FLiP iMAGE

^^^Nice dude. Been really reading a lot on the video capabilities and its quit impressive. Frame rate is on point. Kind of wish the photo quality was just as good cause I would've ditched my D90 for that.

And I know there are a lot of Mark 2 owners that never use their video but I just wanted to show what can be done with such a great camera. This is a friend of mine that uses his Mark 2 solely for video use just cause the HD capabilities seriously trump a lot of video cameras out there:

http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip....com&show_title=1&show_byline=1&show_portraithttp://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip....com&show_title=1&show_byline=1&show_portrait

Panning shots are so dope.

Damn that's sick. Editing videos is something I'm completely oblivious to. What are some programs that don't take away from video quality? I run Vista and have a D5000 if that helps too.
nerd.gif

I believe he uses Final Cut Pro. I am not sure if there is a Windows equivalent to iMovie on a mac but something like that should do the trick. It is all about how you export your video and where you upload it whether on youtube HD or Vimeo. It's a given that the video on D5000 won't be great but at least it will be better then normal youtube videos.

It must be nice to have a famous father, A film director at that. Dudes probably got all sorts of %#*+ at the crib

Dope photos as usual.

Quick question/inquiry though...

I'm gonna be shooting both photos and video for an upcoming concert and I want to know if they're are any tips you guys could pass along.

Some details:
  • I rented the Canon T2i and a Samson H4n recorder (for the interview afterwords).
  • The venue's gonna be dimly lit (except for the stage of course).
  • I'll probably be shooting from the stage towards the crowd.
Are there any T2i  or H4n features that could work to my advantage?
What aperture/settings work best in low light?
What are good video production softwares for a PC? (I DL'd Sony Vegas)

I'm obviously an amateur and I'll probably figure it out but any help would be appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom