The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

been quite a while since i've contributed in this thread.. few recent randoms, couple kinda old

4464414330_cbe1e1d45d.jpg

4464414286_b001dd590d.jpg

4464414062_93b1b75bc2.jpg

4464393680_408042b10c.jpg

4463617837_1525639639.jpg

4464393814_a19a1a5907.jpg

4463617605_f906548215.jpg

i'll be around here a lil more often from now on

btw, thanks for the link K2theAblaM and good stuff everybody

Originally Posted by NikeAirsNCrispyTees

Originally Posted by kix2mny

Hopefully I can get my questioned answered here .... which is a better camera for video, the EOS 7D SLR Digital Camera or EOS 5D Mark II Digital Camera?
Other than working just barely better in low light, the 7D (faster frame rate HD vieo). Canon mentioned trying to do a firmware update to get the 5DII to shoot 25fps, but then nothing ever really came of it as far as I know. I don't even know how possible that is. If you're going to spend $1,800 or $2,500 just for video you might as well buy a video camera. Keep in mind that with the 5D Mark II you can only use EF lenses, which in most cases cost nearly $1k other than the 50mm f/1.8 II. Unless money isn't an issue, I'd go for the 7D and a Flip HD. My Dad got one at some convention for work for free and it's pretty sick-- it's kinda the P&S version of an HD video camera.

Thank you for replying. I want to snap pictures as well as to shoot weddings and music videos. I was going with the kill 2 birds with one stone idea plus I have the option of changing the lenses, something I can not do with the video cameras I looked at. I also figured it would be easier to carry around a digital camera oppose to a video camera. I seen some footage that came out of the 5D Mark II http://www.usa.canon.com/dlc/controller?act=GetArticleAct&articleID=2326 and I was blown away . I spoke to someone who owns a MarkII and he suggested that I look into a 7D since I'm more interested in the video.

I was wondering if you guys can provide some of your "pro" photographer inspirations? Like who's killing it right now? I know there's always the names that come up like Terry Richardson, Dave La Chappelle, Jonathan Mannion...

But are there any others out there you're feeling?

Originally Posted by Kicks R Me

I was wondering if you guys can provide some of your "pro" photographer inspirations? Like who's killing it right now? I know there's always the names that come up like Terry Richardson, Dave La Chappelle, Jonathan Mannion...

don't know of too many photographers however i do live in the same area where many late great photographers once lived.. check out Ansel Adams and Edward/Brett/Cole/Kim Weston.. they're particularly more of a fine art style, but that's what i love most.. lemme know what you think of their work

I have mixed feelings about Terry Richardson. He's definitely an artist, how good of a photographer he is can be debated. He does have some shoots that are really good, like Pirelli's 2010 calendar. It's got a fair amount of nudity so I won't link it, but a good guess would tell me that if you searched "terry richardson pirelli calendar" in Google and clicked the second link that it would come up. That was shot with a Nikon D2H as opposed to his Carl Zeiss film P&S. THAT is good photography. The stuff on his blog is something completely different.

I seriously can't stand Terry Richardson photos. I might be the minority on it but I just look at his photos and none of it appeals to me except for the fact that he shoots celebrities and naked chicks.

NikeAirsNCrispyTees wrote:

kix2mny wrote:

Hopefully I can get my questioned answered here .... which is a better camera for video, the EOS 7D SLR Digital Camera or EOS 5D Mark II Digital Camera?
Other than working just barely better in low light, the 7D (faster frame rate HD vieo). Canon mentioned trying to do a firmware update to get the 5DII to shoot 25fps, but then nothing ever really came of it as far as I know. I don't even know how possible that is. If you're going to spend $1,800 or $2,500 just for video you might as well buy a video camera. Keep in mind that with the 5D Mark II you can only use EF lenses, which in most cases cost nearly $1k other than the 50mm f/1.8 II. Unless money isn't an issue, I'd go for the 7D and a Flip HD. My Dad got one at some convention for work for free and it's pretty sick-- it's kinda the P&S version of an HD video camera.

Thank you for replying. I want to snap pictures as well as to shoot weddings and music videos. I was going with the kill 2 birds with one stone idea plus I have the option of changing the lenses, something I can not do with the video cameras I looked at. I also figured it would be easier to carry around a digital camera oppose to a video camera. I seen some footage that came out of the 5D Mark II http://www.usa.canon.com/dlc/controller?act=GetArticleAct&articleID=2326 and I was blown away . I spoke to someone who owns a MarkII and he suggested that I look into a 7D since I'm more interested in the video.

Yes....do get the 5D or 7D for video and photography. People are totally neglecting the video for what it is. It is by far one of the best video cameras out due to the ISO range, HD framerate, lens capabilities and of course for the sheer fact that it also shoots excellent photos. I know at first it was kind of a gimmick but the video is here to stay no matter what people say. I have a friend that bought a 7D just to primarily use it for shooting video for professional use. I think it would be dumb to get a DSLR and a separate video camera to shoot weddings.

Originally Posted by Mr Fongstarr

I seriously can't stand Terry Richardson photos. I might be the minority on it but I just look at his photos and none of it appeals to me except for the fact that he shoots celebrities and naked chicks.

NikeAirsNCrispyTees wrote:

kix2mny wrote:

Yes....do get the 5D or 7D for video and photography. People are totally neglecting the video for what it is. It is by far one of the best video cameras out due to the ISO range, HD framerate, lens capabilities and of course for the sheer fact that it also shoots excellent photos. I know at first it was kind of a gimmick but the video is here to stay no matter what people say. I have a friend that bought a 7D just to primarily use it for shooting video for professional use. I think it would be dumb to get a DSLR and a separate video camera to shoot weddings.
I'm really a video guy so would you recommend the 7D over the 5D?

Well....my friend that is a videographer uses a 7D but honestly I doubt he shoots with the 1080p option. ISO range is only useful if you are seriously going to shoot in some cruddy conditions so with that being said, I say go with the 7D. The only other difference I see is that the 5D is a full frame....which might be a more deciding factor with photography rather then video. But I say the 7D is a safe bet only cause it is way cheaper and still just as powerful in the video sense. Save the rest of your money for some lenses insead.

Here is some videos he did:

Hella Flush 3.5 and TDC with Calvin Wan from iPhilms on Vimeo.

Whats a good site to learn how to pose? I have my first photo shoot tomorrow but posing is the only weak part that I have Im hesitant about. shooting with a Nikon D70 btw in studio and outdoor shots.

I just got access to a 17-40 F4L for my XSI. Does anyone else with an XSI have this lens? I quickly tried it out today but I can't seem to see the difference in quality between this lens and my kit? Anyone have any tips on getting the best shots using this lens with an xsi?

too many to name
Terry (check the avi), Steven Klein, Hedi Slimane, Mario Sorrenti, Mert Alas & Marcus Piggott,  Inez & Vinoodh, Ryan Mcginley (his new show is pretty $!!%#+ dope)...i can go on

the best thing about Terry isn't necessarily his skills (although his framing nowadays is pretty on point), but his style and subjects...some of his work can get quite repetative, but at other times his work is extremely interesting...and that's really what its about...for example, the 2008 S/S Tom Ford campaign and the Sisley ads, which is what got me into photography in the first place...can't post it, but try google...here's another example

http://www.highsnobiety.com/news/2009/03/24/terry-richardson-autoportraits/

1674hg2.jpg

Amalfi Italy last night. 30 second exposure. C&C?

Also, I got the 1.8 50mm joint from Canon but I can't think of a situation where I would need to shoot with it. Does anybody else have it and if so, what do you use a 50mm for?

Originally Posted by sigmakidownz

Some early summer-style shots.

15hbl0m.jpg

28i100i.jpg

10ftdhu.jpg
I would've shot at a slow aperture for these shots, just to get all of the flowers in the background into focus. Just my opinion.

Originally Posted by sigmakidownz

^Look at my photos. I took those with the 50mm. That long exposure shot could be sharper, did you use a tripod?

I think tinypic messed up the pic when i re-sized it, here's a bigger resolution. It's somewhat sharper.

2r7nd3r.jpg

Back
Top Bottom